If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Suikoden IV

2»

Comments

• King Jowy XXIIKing Jowy XXII Regnus Obscura Full Members
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (iamantitype @ Nov. 18 2003,02:04)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"...but it was still a great transition to a new system.

I think that if this series keeps going as strong as it has been, it will eventually be much better than the final fantasy series.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Agreed on both points. Suikoden is vast, detailed, fresh and still spreading its wings. Definitely the contender to knock down Final Fantasy from its throne.
  • iamantitypeiamantitype Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    I'm glad someone sees it that way.

A lot of the early FF's were bad because they tried out new systems that didn't work out so well, but everyone still embraces them because they led that series into better things by picking out the systems and characteristics that worked, and leaving the ones that didn't work behind.

Suikoden III should be looked at the same way. It tried some new things out, some of them worked, others didn't. The Suikoden series has so much room to grow, and III simply showed that they're not afraid to try new things and go out on a limb while still keeping the great aspects that everyone loves. The mistakes they made were probably a good thing, because it's doubtful that Konami didn't learn from their mistakes.
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (iamantitype @ Nov. 21 2003,19:36)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"A lot of the early FF's were bad because they tried out new systems that didn't work out so well, but everyone still embraces them because they led that series into better things by picking out the systems and characteristics that worked, and leaving the ones that didn't work behind.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Agreed, most definitely. I'm glad you brought that up, too, because it seems that a lot of people forget even the transition that Square made somewhat recently when first working with the PSX...its not exactly like they had ALL the bugs worked out yet with 3-D RPGs.

Suikoden is much the same way: Konami has not had much to go by since they have not really dealt with the medium before this...but I will say this much: if Suikoden III is Konamis first serious attempt at a 3D RPG, then they will be lightyears beyond Square-Enix within a few games, if not with IV itself.

(What? No no no! I assure you, no bias here! wink.gif )
  • SugarmanxSugarmanx Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    I've played a lot of RPG's and the Suikoden series were awesome and my personal favorites were Suikoden 1 and 2. Suikoden 3 was okay for its first 3-D RPG but it doesn't compare to Luca Blight in Suikoden 2. wink.gif For those that haven't played the second Suikoden yet, you will remember Luca Blight alright...
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sugarmanx @ Nov. 22 2003,18:12)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"...you will remember Luca Blight alright...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Best villain ever...
    Oh, if I had only known then what I know now...
  • Fowl SorcerousFowl Sorcerous Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited June 17
    Jows, your highness, did you just wake up from a coma and felt compelled to catch up with every thread you've ever been in?

well either way no necros without a doctor's note.
This discussion has been closed.