If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The Official RPGamer RPG Suggestion Thread

Comments

• redwing42redwing42 Just Monika Full Members
    edited November 2013
    How often to game go on sale there? Ever? Should I wait for sales, or just get something if I decide I want it?
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited November 2013
    Because of the 3DS eShop's ability to have demos, I'd try out demos of the RPGs you can, among other games you're interested in.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    edited November 2013
    redwing42 wrote: »
    How often to game go on sale there? Ever? Should I wait for sales, or just get something if I decide I want it?
    I barely visit the e-shop, but crimson Shroud was on sale one of the times. Unfortunately, I refuse to buy online from Nintendo as long as my stuff are tied to the actual console and not an account. (Don't know if this has been changed for the 3DS or not.)
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited November 2013
    I got the Zelda 3DS XL too. Thanks for the suggestions.
  • Supah MemoSupah Memo New Member Full Members
    edited January 2014
    Hey guys, I'm a new member here and I wanted your suggestions about two games. I wanna buy either Bravely Default for 3DS or Radiant Historia for DS. I could get BD for 40€ (price in Germany ;)) and RH for 30€. I'm really interested in both but I can only afford one. So I can't decide which to pick. I'd really appreciate if you can help me out^^.

Also, if anyone has experienced Radiant Historia on 3DS (XL) I would be glad to hear opinions about how it looks on the system. Because I'd rather play it on the 3DS.

Thanks in advance.
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    edited January 2014
    Why are you doing this to me? Bravely Default is my favorite 3DS game and Radiant Historia is my favorite DS game. If I really had to choose, I'd say Bravely Default because it is a newer release and would probably help that game more. Every sales matter if we want to get the sequel.
  • Alex FullerAlex Fuller Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2014
    See I'd be tempted to say Radiant Historia right now, just because it's a bit more difficult to get hold of at this point, and get Bravely Default at a slightly later date when you've got a bit more money. I quickly popped Radiant Historia into the 3DS XL just now, it looks perfectly fine on it, although obviously not as good as 3DS games on the resolution front. You should get a winner whichever you pick. If it makes any difference I think Bravely Default should last you a bit longer than Radiant Historia though (just as it's longer and you've got a slightly more to muck around with).
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • Supah MemoSupah Memo New Member Full Members
    edited January 2014
    Hmm, still a draw... Damn I can't decide. XO

But I guess I will go for Radiant Historia just for the reason you mentioned Severin Mira. I would be mad if I couldn't get it later. And Bravely Default has to wait a little longer. I just hope that it wont be too expensive when Im ready to buy it. (It's already about 60€ on Amazon!). But I think if RH goes up with the prize then there would be no chance to get it cheaper. BH is still new and it could get a reprint from SE.

Thank you both :)
  • TGBarighmTGBarighm Member Full Members
    edited February 2014
    So I'm looking at buying a 3DS. Bravely Default and World End with You seem like obvious locks, but what else should I consider? I'm new to the whole handheld thing. No SMT games though. I don't like their style.

Infinite Space also caught my eye, but it has become one of those pricey games.
  • Cassandra RamosCassandra Ramos Eternal Kyoshi Administrators
    edited February 2014
    Okay, so no Devil Survivor...

I can't recommend Radiant Historia enough. The Mario and Luigi games are fun if you like quirky humor (more Bowser's Inside Story than Partners in Time. I haven't played Dream Team yet). Phantasy Star Zero is pretty good if you like the PSO-style games. The Luminous Arc games aren't to everyone's taste, but I enjoy them. I liked the Zelda DS games, though apparently A Link Between Worlds on the 3DS is a much better game. I enjoy Knights in the Nightmare, though the battle system is pretty obtuse. If you're at all into or curious about Pokemon, there is of course Black/White on the DS and X/Y on the 3DS. If you like Fire Emblem or SRPGs, there's Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon (DS) and the much better Awakening (3DS). For a more obscure, though almost as fun strategy RPG, there's Rondo of Swords. Golden Sun: Dark Dawn is a very decent game, too.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• goateguygoateguy Member Full Members
    edited February 2014
    I would totally recommend:
    Legend of Legaia (PS1)
    Legaia: Duel Saga (PS2)
    Kingdom Hearts 1&2 (PS2)
    Dragon Quest 8 (PS2)
    If I don't make it home, tell my wife I said Hello.

--Neutral Planet President

You can find awesome fractal art at my website: http://goateeguy.deviantart.com
  • PimpaliciousPimpalicious Member Full Members
    edited February 2014
    Okay, so no Devil Survivor...

As for DS, I can't recommend Radiant Historia enough. The Mario and Luigi games are fun if you like quirky humor The Luminous Arc games isn't to everyone's taste, but I enjoy them.If you're at all into or curious about Pokemon, there is of course Black/White and X/Y on the 3DS. If you like Fire Emblem or SRPGs, there's Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the much better Awakening on the 3DS. For a more obscure, though almost as fun strategy RPG, there's Rondo of Swords. Golden Sun: Dark Dawn is a very decent game, too.

I would second all of these but say skip Shadow Dragon and just go for Awakening. Rondo of Swords had some issues but it was surprisingly good.

Some others I'd suggest are the Etrian Odyssey series(unless 1st person battles are the reason for disliking SMT) Lunar Knights(fun action RPG that doesn't require actual sunlight like the Boktai games that came before it), Dragon Quest IV-VI and IX, and definitely Chrono Trigger(same goes for Tales of the Abyss) if TG hasn't played it. The Luifa and Suikoden games on the DS aren't the best in either series but they're worth checking out imo.
  • SilverSedaiSilverSedai New Member Full Members
    edited June 2014
    I have played Xenosaga at least 5 times, and every time some ridiculous something comes along and I never get to finish the game. Twice we suddenly had to move, out of state mind you. Twice one of my grandchildren go hold of my game and one broke it in half the, the other scratched it up. The last time, I left in the PlayStation we sold. I think some body up there just doesn't want me to play this game. Interesting enough, these things always seem to at just about the same place in the game. When you think about it it's kinda creepy.l
  • loempiavreterloempiavreter New Member Full Members
    edited August 2014
    I'm certainly no jrpg fan. But lately i have been going rounds on Some let's play on nicovideo and got in to some of these games, not by means of playing but by watching (i'm sorry to say but i just don't enjoy playing them.

My favorite discovery has been Cyber Doll, a perfect balance between japanese and western character design (The great Yasushi Nirasawa). And a great cyberpunk setting and world.

P1680942.JPG
    P1680944.JPG

So i'm looking for obscure dark Cyberpunk (also the more darker Steampunk and Dieselpunk settings) rpg recommendations.

Especially on japanese computers there seems to be a whole lot undiscovered. But also a lot of japanese only titles, don't leave 'em out i care zero percent about story, since it's all the same Joseph Campbell 'hero's journey' material. And lot's of simplistic Ying vs Yang scenario's.

Others favorites include:
    - DeSpiria (DC)
    - Hybrid Heaven (N64)
    - Wachenr
  • orloveskiorloveski New Member Full Members
    Looking to start a new rpg adventure, recently got word of a decent windfall of cash. Looking to get a mid exspensive game I normally could not afford for the ps2. Here are the games I have on my radar.

Dark Cloud 2
    Shadow Hearts Covenant
    Rogue Galaxy
    Suikoden III

Please explain briefly which one would be the best get.

Thanks
  • redwing42redwing42 Just Monika Full Members
    I have not played Suikoden III, but I have played the other three. The only one I played to completion, though, was Shadow Hearts Covenant. It is a fantastic game, but the story might not have as much impact if you haven't played the original. Even then, the combat is interesting and there are so many great side stories in the game that it is worth it anyway.
  • Michael BakerMichael Baker RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff

My favorite discovery has been Cyber Doll, a perfect balance between japanese and western character design (The great Yasushi Nirasawa). And a great cyberpunk setting and world.

I've got a tactical RPG with character designs by the same guy. It's called Volfoss, and it is weird in a psychedelic, Heavy Metal sort of way.

• MojozMojoz Full Members
    edited May 2015
    Hi guys, I'm new here. I've got a question about Indie RPG's. I'm a big RPG fan, especially classics such as FF VI, Chrono Trigger, Suikoden etc. I can't say I'm a big fan of those similar to the original FF, where the story is minimal. Though i pretty much played any RPG i could get my hands on.

I see a load of Indie RPGS, and i get very nostalgic when i see them. They remind me of those classic RPG's i used to play. However, the couple i did look at looked a little low on quality. So I'm left wondering, are there any indie RPG's out there that match the quality/charm of those classic greats?
    They are a bit low on quality, but they're very cheap too, so I think this category is a good value proposition.
    Check out "A year of indie" as all these are pretty good I think: http://forums.rpgamer.com/discussion/comment/489478/#Comment_489478

None of these are as good as those classics, but they're still worth your time. The basic idea for indie games is to do one thing and do it well, so you end up with very focused titles that aren't well rounded.
  • AdamvsMaximvsAdamvsMaximvs New Member Full Members
    I just picked myself up a CHECHA PS3, so it's time to go back and try out the few PS1 and PS2 RPGs I missed over the years. Mostly looking at JRPGs as I've pretty much covered all the Western ones I ever had any interest in on the PC many times.

I've played all the FFs, Kingdom Hearts, Drakengards, Dragon Quests, Grandia II, Star Oceans, BOFs, Tactics Ogre/Battle, FFT, Chronos and Valkyrie Profile. On my list to get are;

Suikoden Series
    Legend of Dragoon
    Vanguard Bandits
    Shadow Hearts Series
    Shadow of the Colossus
    Arc The Lad Collection

Maybe Wild Arms
    Maybe Ar Tonelico
    Maybe Radiata Stories (rented it once, but it felt a little shallow)
    Maybe Xenosaga (I've played Xenogears, but have heard mixed on Xenosaga. Loved Xenoblade though)

Anyone have any recommendations that I may have missed? I caught a few of the niche PS1 games back in the day too, like 'Thousand Arms', but none of them seemed too amazing.
  • daveyddaveyd Turn-based lifeform PAFull Members
    Anyone have any recommendations that I may have missed? I caught a few of the niche PS1 games back in the day too, like 'Thousand Arms', but none of them seemed too amazing.

Ever played Growlanser Generations for PS2? Those are two Awesome RPGs (Growlanser 2 & 3) and you can get the standard edition for pretty cheap on eBay / Amazon.

Currently playing (on PC): Hard West, Eisenwald: Blood of November, Dungeon Rats, Wasteland 2, Tahira: Echoes of the Astral Empire

• TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    Parasite Eve (the first one) was really amazing. Although not an RPG I really really enjoy Warship Gunner 2 for the PS2. The Lunar games are pretty enjoyable if you get past the supreme Americanized translation.
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • AdamvsMaximvsAdamvsMaximvs New Member Full Members
    edited July 2015
    daveyd wrote: »

Ever played Growlanser Generations for PS2? Those are two Awesome RPGs (Growlanser 2 & 3) and you can get the standard edition for pretty cheap on eBay / Amazon.

I completely forgot about Growlanser, I'll look into tracking them down. Thanks for the suggestion
    Parasite Eve (the first one) was really amazing. Although not an RPG I really really enjoy Warship Gunner 2 for the PS2. The Lunar games are pretty enjoyable if you get past the supreme Americanized translation.

Played PE1 and 2, and I even have the 3rd birthday on PSP, though I gave up on 3 about 15 minutes in. I'll give it another go one day and see if it grows on me a little more. I'll look into Warship gunner, truth be told, I've never even heard mention of it.
    If you want a really big list of games (beyond just RPGs) My backloggery account has nearly all the Console RPG's I own listed and then some. Not many are beaten but there is a very big list of games there.
    sig.gif

and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

• ginosaturatedginosaturated Full Members
    If you want a really big list of games (beyond just RPGs) My backloggery account has nearly all the Console RPG's I own listed and then some. Not many are beaten but there is a very big list of games there.

May I ask what is backloggery account is? I'm kinda new in here. Please do inform me since I wanna know what Console RP's you have. Thank you.
    Google it.
    May I ask what is backloggery account is? I'm kinda new in here. Please do inform me since I wanna know what Console RP's you have. Thank you.

It's basically a website that allows you to log what games you own and ... and try and help get through your backlog (although mine just gets worse). You can just click the banner in my Signature to go directly to mine.
    sig.gif

• BubsyFan1BubsyFan1 USAFull Members
    I wasn't sure if it was worth starting a new thread for my question, so I thought I'd bring up this thread again since it's stickeyed even though it has been about two years since anyone has posted in it.

Based on what I've seen around here, everyone seems to love the Persona series (on that note, a separate thread could have been a good idea), and since people have been finishing the fifth game lately, I thought this would be a good time to ask: Should I play Persona 5?

Some background information first. Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne is, and has been for quite some time, one of my favorite games if not my favorite game. Before I had tried the third one, I had been interested in the Persona series because of the ties it has to Nocturne. I ended up beating Persona 3: FES, and I was very disappointed. These are the main reasons I didn't like it: almost all of the characters were generic and/or did not really have any development, Tartarus was very bland and predictable (despite randomly generated floors), and the pacing was bad.

Most of the characters just seemed like generic anime characters without any personalities of their own. If you've seen any anime that's about high schoolers, you'll know what they want to hear and how they'll react to all of the situations they're in. It's very by the book. Tartarus seemed very interesting and I was actually looking forward to going through the dungeon, but I felt it was executed terribly. It was extremely long, which I don't have a problem with, but there was nothing interesting in the entire dungeon, which does not go well it it being very long. It felt like every floor was based on one design and paired with the most basic floor randomization they could do. Every ten (or however many it was) floors, the same type of event triggered. It just felt tedious and not fun. Regarding the pacing, everything just felt very slow and monotonous. Instead of gradually introducing new elements during each section of the story, it felt like everyone was just saying the same thing over and over again.

Another thing that bothered me is that you are unable to control your allies in battle. This is more of a thing with me than a problem with the game, but I like my battles to be very efficient, and the AI hindered that. It seemed like they battled with only the most basic understanding of how the battle system worked.

Another thing that bugged me was that I chose hard mode when starting the game. A warning popped up saying something like, "This difficulty setting is only for people who are experts of this genre. You will be unable to change this setting after starting the game. Are you sure you with to continue?" I said I did, but I found the game to be much more on the easy side than the difficult side. I will admit that this probably bothered me more than it should have.

There were some redeeming qualities though. The music was outstanding. The music actually made me want to enjoy the game. There were times that the music was so effective that it made me feel what the game wanted me to, but then when the characters opened their mouths, they ruined it. To this day, some of the music still gets stuck in my head. The endings were very well done (particularly the "bad ending," which I appreciated more after experiencing the "good ending"). The main problem with them is that they are not very effective if you don't care about the characters at all, which I didn't.

I've heard that Persona 4 fixes a decent amount of the issues that I had with 3, but I still could't bring myself to play it. The story just didn't seem interesting to me, and it's a Persona game. I realize that's a very closed-minded view, but I can't help it. This is the only series I have felt this way about (i.e. I don't want to play it because it's Persona). The thing is, Persona 5 actually seems interesting and cool. A friend of mine was talking to me about it, and it sounded like a game I'd enjoy. At the same time, I'm afraid it'll be like 3 - very good ideas but poor execution.

So, with this information, should I play Persona 5?
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    Story advancement in P5 is in designed locations, though some development happens in a randomly generated dungeon that is way smaller than Tartarus was. You can control all allies as of 4, or leave it up to the AI, and there's an optional "Merciless" difficulty available. (I'm not sure if it locks you into it if selected, I went down easy street.)

I'd say if you can borrow or rent a copy, it's worth a shot.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    Or get Persona 4, since it's likely cheaper and just as good.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm