If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The Official RPGamer RPG Suggestion Thread

Comments

• ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited August 2013
    Fire Emblem: Awakening is probably the safest 3DS suggestion, Mary. You can customize the difficulty to your liking, and the marriage/support system offer something else to enjoy outside of the tactical gameplay. This is one of those games where today you're asking yourself, "Who DOESN'T like it?" only to find out 10 years later its what all the hipsters despise.

If you're willing to branch out and try something a little different, Etrian Odyssey 4 is a great entry point into the series. Like Fire Emblem, you can set the game to an easier difficulty if it seems too hard. Most of the labyrinths all have types of puzzles you must overcome in order to progress. For example, a fire labyrinth makes you cool hot spots so you can pass unharmed or cool water into a passable river of ice. Its a first person dungeon crawler though, and those are definitely not for everyone.

Virtues' Last Reward offers some fairly well designed puzzles that could really be fun to figure out behind an intriguing story. However, you'd be much better served to play its DS prequel 999, first, as much of the story will be lost on you if you don't. The two games are essentially Visual Novels where VLR has a rather strong focus on puzzles, so be prepared for lots of reading if you want to go down this route.

As for Devil Survivor, there's no secret that it is one of my absolute favorite RPGs. I wouldn't recommend leaving the voice acting on in Overclocked though if you get it. Devil Survivor relies quite a bit on tension, atmosphere, and character reaction. Maybe it's just because DS is one of my favorite games, but I can't imagine anything other than whats in my head being able to convey the same experience I got out of Devil Survivor.
  • maryadaviesmaryadavies She Shoots For The Stars Somewhere east of Atlanta, GAModerators
    edited August 2013
    Thanks guys. Got most of those wish listed now (I do that on amazon to mark games/things I want, but that I can't afford right now)

I'll be getting those one or two at a time in the next few months. ^^

Also re: GBA games; I do have a GBA, which means I can play those pretty easily; Just have to charge it. So if I find a gba game I want I can get it np. ^^
    93a24222217c9c20a686db8be4676a84.jpg
    My personal page
    New to the boards? Confused? Find the answers here.
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Wannabe Mistborn Lucario Administrators
    edited August 2013
    Jormungand wrote: »
    I haven't played any of them, but want to. I have a DS, but no 3DS (yet). Hence the dilemma. :) It certainly won't hurt to wait, though. I don't plan on getting a 3DS anytime soon, but I also have no burning desire to play either Devil Survivor right now.
    Ah, well then, I would certainly say wait to get the Overclocked version rather than picking up the DS one. It's definitely worth it, especially if you haven't played Devil Survivor. :)

Speaking of Devil Survivor, I would recommened keeping the voice acting on. I think this game has some of the best voice acting I've heard in an RPG recently. The tension and the emotion is depicted very well by the actors and to me, it really enhanced the story.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• redwing42redwing42 Classic Console Junkie Full Members
    edited November 2013
    Looking for some 3DS e-shop recommendations, since I've got my preorder in for the Zelda 3DS. There are hundreds of games on there, but I don't feel like sifting through the buckets of trash for the couple dozen or so diamonds in there. I'll probably end up getting Oracle of Season and Oracle of Ages, simply because I never played them before. I've heard Pushmo and Crashmo are very good, as well as Starship Damrey and Attack of the Friday Monsters. Any other suggestions out there?
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited November 2013
    Hmm, Crimson Shroud maybe? I dunno many RPGs on there that aren't Fire Emblem, Zelda, or SMT.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited November 2013
    Crimson Shroud is decent and an interesting implementation of tabletop RPGs- its about 7-10 hours but does have NG+, but honestly the neat mechanics get pretty stale by the end of the first play. Decent for its price though.

There's also Unchained Blades if you don't have the PSP version. Pretty spendy and has a few hurdles that put off players though, but if you stick through it, its decent (as far as I can tell since its my first dungeon crawler since the NES era)

Those are the only two 3DS-specific RPGs that are only available on the eShop that I know of. There is a handful of virtual console games, mostly Zelda but a few others. Maybe Shining Force Sword of Hayja, I hear decent things considering its a game gear game.

If you're fine with non-RPGs, they have all 6 NES Mega man games, I'd recommend MM2 and MM3 if no others.

Otherwise, I know there is a lot of non-RPGs on the eShop but I don't know much about it, most of it looks pretty bad and few of them have demos.
  • lolwhoopslolwhoops happy accident HalifaxRPGamer Staff
    edited November 2013
    Pushmo and Crashmo are fun if you like puzzles. Dillon's Rolling Western is nice and you can even get the first game for 200 nintendo coins at club nintendo until December 8th. There is also the two Denpa Men games, which are both RPGs and I believe there's at least one demo of the first game. You can get the Shantae games if you like platformers and never tried them before. Mighty Switch Force 1 and 2 are pretty entertaining. Gunman Clive is cheap and fun. Lots of Zelda games. Shining Force Sword of Hajya is fun old school SRPG. There's that new Phoenix Wright game. SteamWorld Dig seems to be popular as well. Mutant Mudds and Sakura Samurai are popular as well.

There's lots of games worth getting, but I find a lot of them are a little too expensive for me at the moment.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    this is my twitter! come twit with me
    edited November 2013
    How often to game go on sale there? Ever? Should I wait for sales, or just get something if I decide I want it?
    edited November 2013
    Sales are uncommon and usually not on anything great. When they are on something good, it's usually a crappy sale. So, eshop games should be purchased when you want it.
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited November 2013
    Because of the 3DS eShop's ability to have demos, I'd try out demos of the RPGs you can, among other games you're interested in.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    edited November 2013
    I also suggest looking up reviews or videos of gameplay to help decide if it's for you.
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    edited November 2013
    redwing42 wrote: »
    How often to game go on sale there? Ever? Should I wait for sales, or just get something if I decide I want it?
    I barely visit the e-shop, but crimson Shroud was on sale one of the times. Unfortunately, I refuse to buy online from Nintendo as long as my stuff are tied to the actual console and not an account. (Don't know if this has been changed for the 3DS or not.)
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited November 2013
    I got the Zelda 3DS XL too. Thanks for the suggestions.
  • Supah MemoSupah Memo New Member Full Members
    edited January 2014
    Hey guys, I'm a new member here and I wanted your suggestions about two games. I wanna buy either Bravely Default for 3DS or Radiant Historia for DS. I could get BD for 40€ (price in Germany ;)) and RH for 30€. I'm really interested in both but I can only afford one. So I can't decide which to pick. I'd really appreciate if you can help me out^^.

Also, if anyone has experienced Radiant Historia on 3DS (XL) I would be glad to hear opinions about how it looks on the system. Because I'd rather play it on the 3DS.

Thanks in advance.
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    edited January 2014
    Why are you doing this to me? Bravely Default is my favorite 3DS game and Radiant Historia is my favorite DS game. If I really had to choose, I'd say Bravely Default because it is a newer release and would probably help that game more. Every sales matter if we want to get the sequel.
  • severinmiraseverinmira Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2014
    See I'd be tempted to say Radiant Historia right now, just because it's a bit more difficult to get hold of at this point, and get Bravely Default at a slightly later date when you've got a bit more money. I quickly popped Radiant Historia into the 3DS XL just now, it looks perfectly fine on it, although obviously not as good as 3DS games on the resolution front. You should get a winner whichever you pick. If it makes any difference I think Bravely Default should last you a bit longer than Radiant Historia though (just as it's longer and you've got a slightly more to muck around with).
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • Supah MemoSupah Memo New Member Full Members
    edited January 2014
    Hmm, still a draw... Damn I can't decide. XO

But I guess I will go for Radiant Historia just for the reason you mentioned Severin Mira. I would be mad if I couldn't get it later. And Bravely Default has to wait a little longer. I just hope that it wont be too expensive when Im ready to buy it. (It's already about 60€ on Amazon!). But I think if RH goes up with the prize then there would be no chance to get it cheaper. BH is still new and it could get a reprint from SE.

Thank you both :)
  • TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited February 2014
    So I'm looking at buying a 3DS. Bravely Default and World End with You seem like obvious locks, but what else should I consider? I'm new to the whole handheld thing. No SMT games though. I don't like their style.

Infinite Space also caught my eye, but it has become one of those pricey games.
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Wannabe Mistborn Lucario Administrators
    edited February 2014
    Okay, so no Devil Survivor...

I can't recommend Radiant Historia enough. The Mario and Luigi games are fun if you like quirky humor (more Bowser's Inside Story than Partners in Time. I haven't played Dream Team yet). Phantasy Star Zero is pretty good if you like the PSO-style games. The Luminous Arc games aren't to everyone's taste, but I enjoy them. I liked the Zelda DS games, though apparently A Link Between Worlds on the 3DS is a much better game. I enjoy Knights in the Nightmare, though the battle system is pretty obtuse. If you're at all into or curious about Pokemon, there is of course Black/White on the DS and X/Y on the 3DS. If you like Fire Emblem or SRPGs, there's Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon (DS) and the much better Awakening (3DS). For a more obscure, though almost as fun strategy RPG, there's Rondo of Swords. Golden Sun: Dark Dawn is a very decent game, too.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• goateguygoateguy Member Full Members
    edited February 2014
    I would totally recommend:
    Legend of Legaia (PS1)
    Legaia: Duel Saga (PS2)
    Kingdom Hearts 1&2 (PS2)
    Dragon Quest 8 (PS2)
    If I don't make it home, tell my wife I said Hello.

--Neutral Planet President

You can find awesome fractal art at my website: http://goateeguy.deviantart.com
  • PimpaliciousPimpalicious Member Full Members
    edited February 2014
    Okay, so no Devil Survivor...

As for DS, I can't recommend Radiant Historia enough. The Mario and Luigi games are fun if you like quirky humor The Luminous Arc games isn't to everyone's taste, but I enjoy them.If you're at all into or curious about Pokemon, there is of course Black/White and X/Y on the 3DS. If you like Fire Emblem or SRPGs, there's Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the much better Awakening on the 3DS. For a more obscure, though almost as fun strategy RPG, there's Rondo of Swords. Golden Sun: Dark Dawn is a very decent game, too.

I would second all of these but say skip Shadow Dragon and just go for Awakening. Rondo of Swords had some issues but it was surprisingly good.

Some others I'd suggest are the Etrian Odyssey series(unless 1st person battles are the reason for disliking SMT) Lunar Knights(fun action RPG that doesn't require actual sunlight like the Boktai games that came before it), Dragon Quest IV-VI and IX, and definitely Chrono Trigger(same goes for Tales of the Abyss) if TG hasn't played it. The Luifa and Suikoden games on the DS aren't the best in either series but they're worth checking out imo.
  • SilverSedaiSilverSedai New Member Full Members
    edited June 2014
    I have played Xenosaga at least 5 times, and every time some ridiculous something comes along and I never get to finish the game. Twice we suddenly had to move, out of state mind you. Twice one of my grandchildren go hold of my game and one broke it in half the, the other scratched it up. The last time, I left in the PlayStation we sold. I think some body up there just doesn't want me to play this game. Interesting enough, these things always seem to at just about the same place in the game. When you think about it it's kinda creepy.l
  • loempiavreterloempiavreter New Member Full Members
    edited August 2014
    I'm certainly no jrpg fan. But lately i have been going rounds on Some let's play on nicovideo and got in to some of these games, not by means of playing but by watching (i'm sorry to say but i just don't enjoy playing them.

My favorite discovery has been Cyber Doll, a perfect balance between japanese and western character design (The great Yasushi Nirasawa). And a great cyberpunk setting and world.

P1680942.JPG
    P1680944.JPG

So i'm looking for obscure dark Cyberpunk (also the more darker Steampunk and Dieselpunk settings) rpg recommendations.

Especially on japanese computers there seems to be a whole lot undiscovered. But also a lot of japanese only titles, don't leave 'em out i care zero percent about story, since it's all the same Joseph Campbell 'hero's journey' material. And lot's of simplistic Ying vs Yang scenario's.

Others favorites include:
    - DeSpiria (DC)
    - Hybrid Heaven (N64)
    - Wachenr
  • orloveskiorloveski New Member Full Members
    Looking to start a new rpg adventure, recently got word of a decent windfall of cash. Looking to get a mid exspensive game I normally could not afford for the ps2. Here are the games I have on my radar.

Dark Cloud 2
    Shadow Hearts Covenant
    Rogue Galaxy
    Suikoden III

Please explain briefly which one would be the best get.

Thanks
    I have not played Suikoden III, but I have played the other three. The only one I played to completion, though, was Shadow Hearts Covenant. It is a fantastic game, but the story might not have as much impact if you haven't played the original. Even then, the combat is interesting and there are so many great side stories in the game that it is worth it anyway.
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff

My favorite discovery has been Cyber Doll, a perfect balance between japanese and western character design (The great Yasushi Nirasawa). And a great cyberpunk setting and world.

I've got a tactical RPG with character designs by the same guy. It's called Volfoss, and it is weird in a psychedelic, Heavy Metal sort of way.

• MojozMojoz Full Members
    edited May 2015
    Hi guys, I'm new here. I've got a question about Indie RPG's. I'm a big RPG fan, especially classics such as FF VI, Chrono Trigger, Suikoden etc. I can't say I'm a big fan of those similar to the original FF, where the story is minimal. Though i pretty much played any RPG i could get my hands on.

I see a load of Indie RPGS, and i get very nostalgic when i see them. They remind me of those classic RPG's i used to play. However, the couple i did look at looked a little low on quality. So I'm left wondering, are there any indie RPG's out there that match the quality/charm of those classic greats?
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    They are a bit low on quality, but they're very cheap too, so I think this category is a good value proposition.
    Check out "A year of indie" as all these are pretty good I think: http://forums.rpgamer.com/discussion/comment/489478/#Comment_489478

None of these are as good as those classics, but they're still worth your time. The basic idea for indie games is to do one thing and do it well, so you end up with very focused titles that aren't well rounded.
  • AdamvsMaximvsAdamvsMaximvs New Member Full Members
    I just picked myself up a CHECHA PS3, so it's time to go back and try out the few PS1 and PS2 RPGs I missed over the years. Mostly looking at JRPGs as I've pretty much covered all the Western ones I ever had any interest in on the PC many times.

I've played all the FFs, Kingdom Hearts, Drakengards, Dragon Quests, Grandia II, Star Oceans, BOFs, Tactics Ogre/Battle, FFT, Chronos and Valkyrie Profile. On my list to get are;

Suikoden Series
    Legend of Dragoon
    Vanguard Bandits
    Shadow Hearts Series
    Shadow of the Colossus
    Arc The Lad Collection

Maybe Wild Arms
    Maybe Ar Tonelico
    Maybe Radiata Stories (rented it once, but it felt a little shallow)
    Maybe Xenosaga (I've played Xenogears, but have heard mixed on Xenosaga. Loved Xenoblade though)

Anyone have any recommendations that I may have missed? I caught a few of the niche PS1 games back in the day too, like 'Thousand Arms', but none of them seemed too amazing.
  • daveyddaveyd Turn-based lifeform PAFull Members
    Anyone have any recommendations that I may have missed? I caught a few of the niche PS1 games back in the day too, like 'Thousand Arms', but none of them seemed too amazing.

Ever played Growlanser Generations for PS2? Those are two Awesome RPGs (Growlanser 2 & 3) and you can get the standard edition for pretty cheap on eBay / Amazon.

Currently playing (on PC): Hard West, Eisenwald: Blood of November, Dungeon Rats, Wasteland 2, Tahira: Echoes of the Astral Empire