If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The Official RPGamer RPG Suggestion Thread

1141516171820»

Comments

• TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    Parasite Eve (the first one) was really amazing. Although not an RPG I really really enjoy Warship Gunner 2 for the PS2. The Lunar games are pretty enjoyable if you get past the supreme Americanized translation.
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • AdamvsMaximvsAdamvsMaximvs New Member Full Members
    edited July 2015
    daveyd wrote: »
    Anyone have any recommendations that I may have missed? I caught a few of the niche PS1 games back in the day too, like 'Thousand Arms', but none of them seemed too amazing.

Ever played Growlanser Generations for PS2? Those are two Awesome RPGs (Growlanser 2 & 3) and you can get the standard edition for pretty cheap on eBay / Amazon.

I completely forgot about Growlanser, I'll look into tracking them down. Thanks for the suggestion
    Parasite Eve (the first one) was really amazing. Although not an RPG I really really enjoy Warship Gunner 2 for the PS2. The Lunar games are pretty enjoyable if you get past the supreme Americanized translation.

Played PE1 and 2, and I even have the 3rd birthday on PSP, though I gave up on 3 about 15 minutes in. I'll give it another go one day and see if it grows on me a little more. I'll look into Warship gunner, truth be told, I've never even heard mention of it.
    If you want a really big list of games (beyond just RPGs) My backloggery account has nearly all the Console RPG's I own listed and then some. Not many are beaten but there is a very big list of games there.
    sig.gif

and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

• ginosaturatedginosaturated Full Members
    If you want a really big list of games (beyond just RPGs) My backloggery account has nearly all the Console RPG's I own listed and then some. Not many are beaten but there is a very big list of games there.

May I ask what is backloggery account is? I'm kinda new in here. Please do inform me since I wanna know what Console RP's you have. Thank you.
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    Google it.
    May I ask what is backloggery account is? I'm kinda new in here. Please do inform me since I wanna know what Console RP's you have. Thank you.

It's basically a website that allows you to log what games you own and ... and try and help get through your backlog (although mine just gets worse). You can just click the banner in my Signature to go directly to mine.
    sig.gif

• BubsyFan1BubsyFan1 USAFull Members
    I wasn't sure if it was worth starting a new thread for my question, so I thought I'd bring up this thread again since it's stickeyed even though it has been about two years since anyone has posted in it.

Based on what I've seen around here, everyone seems to love the Persona series (on that note, a separate thread could have been a good idea), and since people have been finishing the fifth game lately, I thought this would be a good time to ask: Should I play Persona 5?

Some background information first. Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne is, and has been for quite some time, one of my favorite games if not my favorite game. Before I had tried the third one, I had been interested in the Persona series because of the ties it has to Nocturne. I ended up beating Persona 3: FES, and I was very disappointed. These are the main reasons I didn't like it: almost all of the characters were generic and/or did not really have any development, Tartarus was very bland and predictable (despite randomly generated floors), and the pacing was bad.

Most of the characters just seemed like generic anime characters without any personalities of their own. If you've seen any anime that's about high schoolers, you'll know what they want to hear and how they'll react to all of the situations they're in. It's very by the book. Tartarus seemed very interesting and I was actually looking forward to going through the dungeon, but I felt it was executed terribly. It was extremely long, which I don't have a problem with, but there was nothing interesting in the entire dungeon, which does not go well it it being very long. It felt like every floor was based on one design and paired with the most basic floor randomization they could do. Every ten (or however many it was) floors, the same type of event triggered. It just felt tedious and not fun. Regarding the pacing, everything just felt very slow and monotonous. Instead of gradually introducing new elements during each section of the story, it felt like everyone was just saying the same thing over and over again.

Another thing that bothered me is that you are unable to control your allies in battle. This is more of a thing with me than a problem with the game, but I like my battles to be very efficient, and the AI hindered that. It seemed like they battled with only the most basic understanding of how the battle system worked.

Another thing that bugged me was that I chose hard mode when starting the game. A warning popped up saying something like, "This difficulty setting is only for people who are experts of this genre. You will be unable to change this setting after starting the game. Are you sure you with to continue?" I said I did, but I found the game to be much more on the easy side than the difficult side. I will admit that this probably bothered me more than it should have.

There were some redeeming qualities though. The music was outstanding. The music actually made me want to enjoy the game. There were times that the music was so effective that it made me feel what the game wanted me to, but then when the characters opened their mouths, they ruined it. To this day, some of the music still gets stuck in my head. The endings were very well done (particularly the "bad ending," which I appreciated more after experiencing the "good ending"). The main problem with them is that they are not very effective if you don't care about the characters at all, which I didn't.

I've heard that Persona 4 fixes a decent amount of the issues that I had with 3, but I still could't bring myself to play it. The story just didn't seem interesting to me, and it's a Persona game. I realize that's a very closed-minded view, but I can't help it. This is the only series I have felt this way about (i.e. I don't want to play it because it's Persona). The thing is, Persona 5 actually seems interesting and cool. A friend of mine was talking to me about it, and it sounded like a game I'd enjoy. At the same time, I'm afraid it'll be like 3 - very good ideas but poor execution.

So, with this information, should I play Persona 5?
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    Story advancement in P5 is in designed locations, though some development happens in a randomly generated dungeon that is way smaller than Tartarus was. You can control all allies as of 4, or leave it up to the AI, and there's an optional "Merciless" difficulty available. (I'm not sure if it locks you into it if selected, I went down easy street.)

I'd say if you can borrow or rent a copy, it's worth a shot.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    Or get Persona 4, since it's likely cheaper and just as good.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • BubsyFan1BubsyFan1 USAFull Members
    Are 4 and 5 good in similar ways? What makes them good?
  • redwing42redwing42 Classic Console Junkie Full Members
    My daughter has expressed some interest in creating video games. She has really gotten into the Pokemon games over the past year or so, and she's always doing some sort of creative writing. She just turned 10, and I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation on which of the RPG Maker products might be a good place for her to start. Thanks.
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Well, if either of the DS/3DS RPGMaker games had made it to the US, I'd say one of those for the interface, but unless you want to get down and dirty with emulation and translation cracking, your better bet is the VX Ace release on Steam, which has a massive (and generally helpful) community to help with things like modding to meet one's preferences. It's still a lot to work with, though, so I'd suggest it more as a parent-daughter long term project.
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    The 3DS RPG Maker FES is actually coming out at the end of next month, as well.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Really? Cool. Give that a whirl, see how it goes? Depending on where you shop, it might be a lot cheaper to get than the regular Steam price for VX Ace.
  • redwing42redwing42 Classic Console Junkie Full Members
    Thank you both for the help. I'll definitely look into the 3DS one, as she does not currently have a computer (just a tablet). Might see about VX Ace if it goes on sale at some point, if we want to work together on my PC.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    redwing42 wrote: »
    Thank you both for the help. I'll definitely look into the 3DS one, as she does not currently have a computer (just a tablet). Might see about VX Ace if it goes on sale at some point, if we want to work together on my PC.
    It may go on sale. Bought it a few years back when it was $10 during the crazy Summer Sale.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."