If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Newbie Help Thread

15678911»

Comments

• squallcloud82squallcloud82 New Member Full Members
    edited February 2009
    Hello everyone!

Just signed on to the forums, and I need help. I have hit a rpg wall were. I have no idea what to play. I've got:
    Skies of arcadia
    Valkerie profile
    Xenosaga all episodes
    .hack all episodes
    Persona 3, 4
    Baroque
    Final fantasy XII
    Eternal sonata
    Eternal poison
    Tales of Vespia
    Tales of symphonia
    Disgaea (sorry for the spelling) 2, 3
    Chrono cross, trigger
    And others I can't remember right now. please provide any suggestions.
  • NergalNergal The Don Full Members
    edited February 2009
    Skies of arcadia - Haven't played.

Valkerie profile - Awesome. The sequel (Silmeria) is great, too. Great gameplay, good storyline, NIBELUNG VALESTI!!, etc...

Xenosaga all episodes - Haven't played due to lame region locking. Really want to, though.

.hack all episodes - Haven't played.

Persona 3 - Haven't played, but watched my friend play a few times. Seems fun.

4 - Hasn't come out here yet, so I haven't played.

Baroque - Haven't played. Looks very interesting, though.

Final fantasy XII - Awesome. My personal second favourite in the series. Pretty much perfect (or very close to) in every area.

Eternal sonata - Awesome. It's very linear and on the short side, but the combat is incredibly fun and the story is pretty cool.

Eternal poison - Haven't played.

Tales of Vespia - Due to lame region locking and no foreseeable release here (?), I haven't played it yet. I'm assuming it's really good.

Tales of symphonia - My friend reckons it's the best game ever. From what I've seen it's at least passably awesome.

Disgaea (sorry for the spelling) 2 - (Spelling is spot on smile.gif) Really fun and funny.

3 - Haven't played.

Chrono cross - Haven't played, but really want to. Damned region locks!!

trigger - Currently playing the DS version. Awesome and deserving of much of the hype/praise it gets.
  • squallcloud82squallcloud82 New Member Full Members
    edited February 2009
    Tales of symphania . . . Interesting. Maybe I should try it out again. but valkirie profile does look interesting and I've never finished either before so maybe I should start there. Anymore suggestions. I'm a huge fan of jrpgs so any jrpg suggestions would be awsome.
  • MastromMastrom New Member Full Members
    edited March 2009
    Hi, I'm wondering if anyone knows about any Japanese walkthrough sites. Is there a Japanese equivalent to GameFAQs? I know that there are some Japanese language walkthroughs on GameFAQs, but I'm looking for a much more comprehensive website, and I feel like there has to be. Thanks in advance!
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited March 2009
    You only tend to see them for popular games.
    There was one for FF7 Crisis Core and I 100% guarantee you there will be one for FF13 (because of the USA release delay).
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited March 2009
    Mastrom - Japanese walkthru sites tend to be game specific. If you can type the name in Japanese, do a search on [url="http://www.google.co.jp,"]www.google.co.jp,[/url] and see what you can find.

I'm currently using such a site for Raidou 2, just because it's so hard to navigate Atlus games in full Japanese at times -_-
  • MastromMastrom New Member Full Members
    edited March 2009
    Thanks GaijinMonogatari. I was able to find what I was looking for, a walkthrough to Mario & Luigi RPG 3!!! (a pretty easy game, but I thought it would be interesting to read a Japanese walkthrough). I'm just surprised that there isn't some Japanese version of GameFAQs... I was expecting for there to be some website that GameFAQs could only dream of becoming. Anyway, this'll do. tounge2.gif
  • KainchildKainchild Member Full Members
    edited May 2009
    And the point of this is.....
    Faustus: \"History is written by the winners, Kain!\"
  • AurianAurian Member Full Members
    edited May 2009
    to help newbies who don`t have enough posts to start their own threads
  • RohsiphRohsiph New Member Full Members
    edited May 2009
    Well, suppose this'll have to go here since I haven't been around these parts in years and my old account seems to have disappeared . . .

Alright, so I came across an album on a music blog available here: click. There's a song called "Future Memories," where three minutes in there's a melody that I swear I've heard in an RPG--and I wanna say it was 8bit or 16bit.

Yet I've spent the better part of the night browsing redbook audio rips of over a dozen titles with the help of some other RPGaming friends who agreed it's really, really familiar, and the closest I've gotten isn't really that close at all.

Some soundtracks I've looked at: Final Fantasy 1-10, Tactics, and Mystic Quest (didn't remember it being /that/ different), Xenogears, Chrono Trigger + Cross, Lunar: Silver Star and Breath of Fire II. I had friends also looking through things like Phantasy Star series, Skies of Arcadia and Golden Sun. There's a chance that we missed the melody in one of those many soundtracks, but I browsed through pretty certain I'd know the song once I finally found it . . . but I never found it. (Though Xenogears' Yggdrasil theme, parts of the CT theme, and parts of the FFIV Overworld / Underworld themes are reminiscent).

So, I wonder if anyone has some time on their hands and might like to take a look at the song "Future Memories," especially the melody starting 3 minutes in, and let me know if they recognize it. It's also possible it's just a really strong case of deja-vu and the artist (Lorelei) actually came up with something original that just happens to sound like something Uematsu would compose.

Thanks everyone! Good luck smile.gif
    edited May 2009
    It is the level 1 music from Brave Fencer Musashi. Glad I could help biggrin.gif
    Seems like a straight up copy, at least of the melody.

• RohsiphRohsiph New Member Full Members
    edited May 2009
    Brave Fencer Musashi.
    Ah, wonderful! Indeed. Makes me very happy to know I wasn't going crazy, and I'm sure at least one of my friends who was helping had played BFM as well--but not in a long time. Probably wouldn't have figured it out without your help, so biiig thanks!

It was a fun mystery, many mostly-forgotten melodies from classic games have been popping into my head all weekend.

Excellent! Case solved, thanks again smile.gif
  • theriverstyxoaththeriverstyxoath New Member Full Members
    edited August 2009
    Can someone recommend an online RPG (MMORPG?) with a battle system similar to Final Fantasy? I prefer 2D rpg's to 3D, but I'm flexible with that. I really prefer a simple battle system (e.g. "Attack", "Defend", "Skill", and "Item"). Do online RPG's like this exist? I would like to interact and perhaps even battle other players online with a simple system like this.
    edited August 2009
    There is Maple Story.
    There is Grand Chase.
    They are both played from a 2D perspective, but that's all I know.

I have not played either, so you may want to look to others.
  • ZelgodesZelgodes A Mastermind!? Full Members
    edited August 2009
    I can't think of an MMO that plays like you have described. You might want to check Sword of the New World, because I think the control scheme was something like that. I haven't played it so I can't be certain.

I do know for a fact that Maple Story is the most boring thing ever and it's more action based.
  • gabor.sviatkogabor.sviatko New Member Full Members
    edited September 2009
    There is no sale/buy/swap section on the boards?
  • rusty_souprusty_soup New Member Full Members
    edited February 2010
    Hi, I'm new to the forums but have been following RPGamer for quite a few years. Happy to join in!

This is sort of urgent, so I'd rather post it here than wait to have 10 posts. Here's the deal:

I recently decided to (re)play all main Final Fantasy games and have completed I through VI using a DS Lite. Now that I'm on to VII and onward, I'm not sure what to do. I'd appreciate any input in the cheapest way to continue my saga. I don't own any of Sony's consoles so I need to decide what to buy.

Here's my reasoning as of now:

As far as I've gathered, a 60gb PS3 would be the best thing to have, since it would allow me to play all games (with some glitches on IX, X, X-2 and XII?), but this console is expensive and hard to find, it seems.

So is my only option to get both a PS2 and a slim PS3?
    I'd play:
    - VII and VIII PSN downloads on PS3.
    - Shift to IX through XII on PS2.
    - Back to PS3 for XIII.

Or should I rather get only a PS2 for now and play VII through XII all using discs? Then maybe by the time I'm done, the PS3 will have gone down in price... Even with this, I've heard PS2s have problems playing PS1 games, but I've been having a hard time finding Final Fantasy-specific info on backwards compatibility and memory-card issues. I'd be getting an easy-to-find PS2 slim, unless you advise looking harder for an older one.

Sorry for rambling, but I've been thinking about this way too long. Any alternate suggestions or comments on this?
    edited February 2010
    Yes, that is the only option.
    Good thing PS2 is not very expensive (around $100). The same cannot be said for PS3.
  • AurianAurian Member Full Members
    edited February 2010
    I have played my old PS1 games on my PS2. No issues there, although you do need a PS1 memory card for the games.

No idea about PS3, although I hear backwards compatibility is a bit spotty depending on the model of PS3...

PS2 is cheap enough for a system and there are many gems that can be played on it.
  • rusty_souprusty_soup New Member Full Members
    edited February 2010
    Thanks, guys. I just got a PS2 and I'll see how things go. It's a shame because I'd really like to play FFXIII soon. Dunno when that will happen. If anything, there's a bunch of non-FF PS2 RPGs I've missed during my Sony hiatus and that should keep me going before I get the newer console.
  • teemhteemh Member Full Members
    edited June 2010
    I might be insane but I have more than 10 posts and I still can't create threads. sad.gif
  • ZelgodesZelgodes A Mastermind!? Full Members
    edited June 2010
  • teemhteemh Member Full Members
    edited June 2010
    Ah, thank you.
  • shentinoshentino Member Full Members
    edited June 2010
    The admins are just too lazy to update the front page.
  • Fowl SorcerousFowl Sorcerous Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited August 2010
    shentino wrote: »
    The admins are just too lazy to update the front page.

it's not that they're lazy, its just that they're too busy with the herd of cats that is this forum.
    edited August 2010
    It's not that they're lazy. They just don't care! (modified from Office Space)
This discussion has been closed.