If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Name 1 song you heard today...

Comments

• QuinQuin ne cede malis RPGamer Staff
    edited March 2011
    "Tower of Caelum" - Phantasy Star Online Episode III: C.A.R.D Revolution OST.

Am I the only one who really like PSO music? Call me crazy, but I think much of it is pretty dang good.~

I liked quite a bit of it.

Tricktrack Part 2 was probably my favourite.

Personally, can't get enough of dai's Mortal Stampede, which appears on Umineko EP4's OST.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
  • JuMeSynJuMeSyn Code: Kirin Administrators
    edited March 2011
    Boom Boom - The Animals
    It's only while listening to this group without letup that I understand how similar most of the songs are. A little better-produced garage rock, pretty much.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Wannabe Mistborn Lucario Administrators
    edited March 2011
    "Nostalgia in Solitude part 1"

Very nice piece overall, but my most favorite party is the remixed bit of the Phantasy Star III title screen. X3
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

edited April 2011
    I Say A Little Prayer - Aretha Franklin
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.
  • RainaRaina Member Full Members
    edited April 2011
    If I Could Build My Whole World Around You ~Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell
  • HyphyKezzyHyphyKezzy The Best Full Members
    edited April 2011
    Jimi Was A Rock Star - Common
    Reads street English and speaks in collegiate - Ras Kass
    edited April 2011
    End of Line - Daft Punk
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited April 2011
    You'll Never Find Another Love Like Mine - Lou Rawls
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    edited April 2011
    No Regrets - Aesop Rock

Totally safe for work and an inspirational narrative about following your dreams.
    edited April 2011
    "Rising Sun ~Endless Battlefield~ (Premium Arrange version)" - Sword of Mana OST.

The main theme of the first Seiken Densetsu/Final Fantasy Adventure/Sword of Mana, mixed with Endless Battlefield, which is the overworld theme for the beginning of the game. This is a very nice arrangement, and I just love "Rising Sun." It's such a beatiful piece.
    Bravely second...

edited April 2011
    The Man With the Golden Gun - Lulu
    edited April 2011
    Tori No Uta (Song of Birds) - Senri Manaka

The least super robot-y super robot show opening theme ever.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
  • Tequila MockingbirdTequila Mockingbird Resident Cannibal Full Members
    edited April 2011
    Till the World Ends ~ as sung by Britney Spears written by Ke$ha
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited April 2011
    Akira Yamaoka - Theme of Laura
    "Back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's hilarious in modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of a FF7 remake."
    edited April 2011
    "Mata Ashita" - Magic User's Club (Maho Tsukai Tai!) OAV ending.

I had nearly forgotten how much I like this song. It's like a lullaby. Quite relaxing. ^^
    Bravely second...

edited April 2011
    As part of Valve's "Potato Sack" ARG for Portal 2, this song cropped up on Audiosurf;

Victims of Science - The Device Has Been Modified v2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2011
    The Man With the Harmonica - composed by Ennio Morricone.
    edited April 2011
    Mannibalector - Brotha Lynch Hung NSFW

Got the new Lynch last week. I'm liking the beats a lot better than the last few albums, looks like signing to Tech N9ne's label helpred him out in that department.
    edited April 2011
    The Chain - Fleetwood Mac
    I tried listening to that Lynch song, HyphyKezzy. It confirmed that rap and I don't get along, something I've known to be the case since the early 90's.
  • Tequila MockingbirdTequila Mockingbird Resident Cannibal Full Members
    edited April 2011
    Wondaland ~ by Janelle Monae
    edited April 2011
    JuMeSyn wrote: »
    I tried listening to that Lynch song, HyphyKezzy. It confirmed that rap and I don't get along, something I've known to be the case since the early 90's.
    Can I get a mulligan? That link was mostly aimed at Rahl in case he didn't know there was a new album out. If I'd thought that post was my opportunity to bring a nonbeliever into the loving embrace of Mother HipHop no way am I posting some Lynch, regardless of how brilliant I think he is. I believe that the subgenre of gangster rap has artistic merit for reasons I won't get into here in the interest of brevity, but I also believe that it's prevalence during rap's most explosive period of popularity growth can easily lead to an unfortunate mental association that overshadows the broader genre. Combine that with the intensified (because to a certain extent "gotta get mine's" was always there) materialistic focus which the corporate recognition of rap's profit potential brought to the game and I have no trouble understanding why people can get turned off. But rap is more than just b*****s and money.

So in case I haven't blown it, I'm gonna put on my rap evangelist hat now. Even if you're not interested it will give me an easy post to point to in the future should a similar chance arise.

Probably the best place to start is a page back in this thread. Check out my link for Aesop Rock's "No Regrets". Once that's done, here's a few more examples of stuff I think gives a fair view of the diversity of subject matter available in rap.

Make You Feel That Way - Blackalicious

A rap version of "A Few of My Favorite Things" minus the dog bites and bee stings.

The Woman With the Tattooed Hands - Atmosphere

Sexy without getting nasty or misogynistic.

Jazz Thing - Gang Starr

A jazz history lesson.

Think You Know Me - Murs

Stereotypes can be bad yo.

Briarpatch NSFW - Devin the Dude

A reworking of Br'er Rabbit. Pleeease don't throw me in!

Nature of the Threat NSFW - Ras Kass

I put this one last because it's more aggressive and contains elements of homophobia. But it's only fair to let the ugly side show a bit. Plus it's a fascinating take on the history of western civilization.

So there's my stab at rap apologetics. Sorry to take up so much space in a thread that's supposed to be about one song that you heard today. But with me it was bound to happen eventually and I promise in the future I'll constrain myself to pointing here when my persecution complex involving rap acts up.
  • PrinnyPrinny Killer Penguin Full Members
    edited April 2011
    Rebecca Black - Friday

My buddy thinks it's funny to play this song all the time
    edited April 2011
    "Kiss From a Rose" - Seal
    Bravely second...

edited April 2011
    I should probably give y'all a break from rap after that last monster post.

Mellow Yellow - Donovan

My theme song since I was a kid. I used to have all sorts of plans for sampling this that never panned out.
    edited May 2011
    "00 Gundam" from Kenji Kawai's excellent work on the Gundam 00 OST
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    edited May 2011
    "America: **** Yeah".
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited May 2011
    If you are looking for JPop, you can try Billboard Japan Top 40: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TptawF3Qzpo
    I was surprised it's 30% English (language) music, about 20% American.
    edited May 2011
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited May 2011
    HyphyKezzy wrote: »
    Mannibalector - Brotha Lynch Hung NSFW

Got the new Lynch last week. I'm liking the beats a lot better than the last few albums, looks like signing to Tech N9ne's label helpred him out in that department.

Dude, SO good. I know it requires a particular taste to stomach Lynch, but I most certainly have it!
    "Back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's hilarious in modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of a FF7 remake."
    edited May 2011
    "The Angel's Ladder(Tenshi no Hashigo) ~crepuscular rays~" - Arc Rise Fantasia OST

It's the ending credits song to the game. I think it's quite lovely.
    Bravely second...