If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Banner Contest results...

MartyrMartyr MemberFull Members
edited September 2006 in Forum Rules & Announcements
With 6 votes, our ages-old banner has emerged victorious over RIPtoad's submission, which had a total of 4 votes.

As a thanks to RIPtoad for being the...only person to submit an entry, he will be getting the prize promised to the winner even though he failed in dethroning the reigning champion. I'm trying to think of a way we can use the banner he made somewhere anyway, plus he will be receiving an additional something "special" along with the Nocturne CD and mobile screen cleaners smile1.png

Thanks to everybody who showed interest smile1.png

But it would be misleading of me to say that the interest in this wasn't well under my expectations. I have a few ideas for similar events on the forums for the future, so if anybody has suggestions on how I could get more people interested (maybe this idea just sucked? ^^), then feel free to let them fly smile6.png

Thanks guys.

Comments

• MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited March 2006
    I don't think the idea was a bad one. I think the banner contest should have been promoted on the main site as well as here on the boards, though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
  • DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited March 2006
    Notably, Martyr, Soulriders uses rotating banners to reasonable effect. =) After all, why throw away good banners?

A 'send us banners when you want' system has generally also given us hundreds in the past to use, varied by the different skins avaliable. It is a pity how that contest went though.

Dracos
  • MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited March 2006
    I think Dracos idea is a very good one to use. I think it might be worth considering implementing such a system here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
  • Gouden DraakGouden Draak Member Full Members
    edited March 2006
    Put it on the Fan Art section as a contest...?
  • RIPtoadRIPtoad Member Full Members
    edited March 2006
    I was actually thinking something similar to what Dracos suggests, though not necessarily simple random banner switching. I had thought more along the lines of how Google change their banner depending on holidays and such. So you would have a Valentine's banner, a Christmas banner, a New Years banner, St. Patrick's day, and the like. That, at least, is what flitted into my brain when thinking about this...

Perhaps not feasible, but it would make for an interesting take on banner design, RPG-wise. Just a random thought...

By the by, I'd also like to thank those three other people who voted for my design. It's nice to have at least a little love. And special thanks to MeoTwister for his critique of my first attempt (he PMed me). The feedback was quite helpful. Given a few more tries, I might even have been able to come up with something a majority could get behind. smile17.png

Anyhow, thanks for the contest, Martyr. Hope future efforts garner a little more sign of life around here...
  • noodlenoodle Kirby: El Presidente RPGamer Staff
    edited March 2006
    i asked for some images to use but never got a response so i just didn't do one...
    nkkd01.jpg
  • MartyrMartyr Member Full Members
    edited March 2006
    Urp...sorry, I thought I did reply ^^; You didn't message me until after the deadline anyway though ^^

rpgamer.gif
    That's the only current logo we have other than special-type logos that's what you're looking for atm. The font RPGamer uses in a lot of its graphics is called Morpheus, too. A Google search should point you in the right direction pretty quickly.

Not saying you'd *have* to use that, but just providing that info anyway.
  • DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited March 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(RIPtoad @ Mar. 06 2006,13:24)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"I was actually thinking something similar to what Dracos suggests, though not necessarily simple random banner switching. I had thought more along the lines of how Google change their banner depending on holidays and such. So you would have a Valentine's banner, a Christmas banner, a New Years banner, St. Patrick's day, and the like. That, at least, is what flitted into my brain when thinking about this...

Perhaps not feasible, but it would make for an interesting take on banner design, RPG-wise. Just a random thought...

By the by, I'd also like to thank those three other people who voted for my design. It's nice to have at least a little love. And special thanks to MeoTwister for his critique of my first attempt (he PMed me). The feedback was quite helpful. Given a few more tries, I might even have been able to come up with something a majority could get behind. smile17.png

Anyhow, thanks for the contest, Martyr. Hope future efforts garner a little more sign of life around here...[/QUOTE]
    Rotating isn't necessarily random =) We sort them by skins and such for appropriate use usually.

Google, if I'm not mistaken, literally has some art guy churning out a new logo almost every day.

Dracos
  • noodlenoodle Kirby: El Presidente RPGamer Staff
    edited March 2006
    thanks martyr. <3
    nkkd01.jpg
  • KenokajeKenokaje Member Full Members
    edited September 2006
    <div>
    (Martyr @ Mar. 05 2006,17:20)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">With 6 votes, our ages-old banner has emerged victorious over RIPtoad's submission, which had a total of 4 votes.

As a thanks to RIPtoad for being the...only person to submit an entry, he will be getting the prize promised to the winner even though he failed in dethroning the reigning champion. I'm trying to think of a way we can use the banner he made somewhere anyway, plus he will be receiving an additional something "special" along with the Nocturne CD and mobile screen cleaners smile.gif

Thanks to everybody who showed interest smile.gif

But it would be misleading of me to say that the interest in this wasn't well under my expectations. I have a few ideas for similar events on the forums for the future, so if anybody has suggestions on how I could get more people interested (maybe this idea just sucked? ^^), then feel free to let them fly tounge.gif

Thanks guys.</div>
    Wow, only one submission?

Heck, I didn't even know there was a banner contest going on. I'd at least try something. ^.^;

If you want more interest, have more advertisement on other forums and more prizes. I hardly visit this forum because it gets dull fast (no offense). I read the Q&A and News far far far more than the forums.
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited September 2006
    ...Except it ended 6 months ago.
This discussion has been closed.