If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Watch any good movies lately?

Comments

• ShevShev Member Full Members
    edited January 2007
    House of Flying Daggers, For the most part the action was good, but the story would have been better if it had ended an hour earlier than it did.
  • bain_nickbain_nick Be Water my friend Full Members
    edited January 2007
    SBS is showing some great Anime movies at the moment. Just finished watching "The Boy Who Saw The Wind". A nicely made film, but had a lot of suffering in it, though nowhere near Jin Roh.
    http://melodysheep.bandcamp.com/track/be-water-my-friend-bruce-lee (Youtube video been taken down soooo)
    Steam: bain_nick Add me, maybe we can play something together.
    League of Legends: NA Server: Bainick
    The problem with HM/RF games for me, is the opposite of my issues in real life.
  • SpadesSpades New Member Full Members
    edited January 2007
    I saw Children of Men a couple weeks ago and it has to be one of the best movies I've seen of 2006. The story is gripping and the sequence with the car getting assulted by a mob in the forest is worth the price of admission alone.
    edited January 2007
    The Village was surprisingly good, and I was so sleepy I wasn't even expecting the ending. Those types of surprises are the best!
    http://melodysheep.bandcamp.com/track/be-water-my-friend-bruce-lee (Youtube video been taken down soooo)
  • BalewolfBalewolf Member Full Members
    edited January 2007
    I recently rewatched all the Indiana Jones. Damn those movies rock.
  • FrozenbabylonFrozenbabylon POW! Full Members
    edited January 2007
    The Ice Harvest
    A Scanner Darkly
    Sin City
    V for Vendetta
    Equilibrium

All in the past couple weeks, So the answer is a resounding yes.

I'm also planning on going to see Children of Men sometime soon.
  • SorenSoren ..not a pony.. Full Members
    edited January 2007
    Rewatched V for Vendetta. I love that movie. It was genius. I also want to see Children of Men, as the plot for that looks amazing.
    Driving FB bonkers for years. Paw's Wife.
  • ZelgodesZelgodes A Mastermind!? Full Members
    edited January 2007
    I just saw The Good Shepard a couple of weeks ago, it was pretty impressive. Matt Damon played the perfect stone-cold CIA guy. It was kind of screwed up, but it was a good movie.
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I just watched Bastards of the Party on HBO yesterday. It was bout how gangs formed in LA and how Bloods and Crips came to be. Pretty interesting.
  • Fitali44Fitali44 Member Full Members
    edited February 2007
    "The Departed" Is a great remake to the Hong Kong film "Infernal Affairs".

I recently saw The Departed on DVD and i gotta say that it was a brilliant remake, alot of people complain about western adaptations of eastern films but this one was brilliant. Definitely gets my recommendation.

I'll also add my vote to

The Prestige and
    A Scanner Darkly

which are fairly recent and were mentioned earlier in this thread. Two very enjoyable movies, the first has magicians! and the second and been coated with a comic book gloss post-filming.
    edited February 2007
    They've been showing the Rocky movies on late night T.V. for the last few weeks. Some good non thinking late night entertainment.
  • ZelgodesZelgodes A Mastermind!? Full Members
    edited February 2007
    Just saw Hannibal Rising over the weekend. I've not seen Hannibal yet, but this was certainly the best one since Silence of the Lambs. The guy who plays Hannibal is just so creepy, he's perfect for the part. I really liked it, but it seemed to get some not so good reviews, but I stopped listening to them a while ago. So I would definitely recommend it to anyone who wants to see a plain, straight out creepy movie.
  • VigivalgusVigivalgus Member Full Members
    edited February 2007
    Watched Letters from Iwo Jima last night. I liked the concept, but I think that Eastwood disrupted more than enhanced the flow of the movie with the placements of the flashbacks. While they were necessary to the humanization of the Japanese characters, they felt forced in context of the story.

I'll add my votes to Scanner Darkly and The Prestige. I watched Scanner as an in-flight movie with terrible headphones, so I missed some key dialogue. Prestige impressed me six ways to Sunday; a little long, but Nolan still rocks the house (watching the credits, I realized that it shared a director and at least two key actors with the most recent Batman movie).

• Slayer of GodSlayer of God Member Full Members
    edited February 2007
    Caught Bridge to Terabithia earlier tonight. Awesome stuff, and incredibly faithful to the book.
    SlayersSig.jpg

Within the spreading darkness, I pledged a vow to the revolution.
  • AdremmelechAdremmelech The Original Playa... Full Members
    edited February 2007
    Saw Pulp Fiction and Clerks for the first time. I am upset that I missed them first time around. They were very good.
  • DracusDracus New Member Full Members
    edited March 2007
    I don't really have the time to watch movies much these days, but I watched Hitch with a few friends not so long ago. Great film, the best i've seen in a long time.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Member Full Members
    edited March 2007
    Pan's Labrynth, if you don't mind subtitles and torture.
    [url=\"http://evilpandapirate.tumblr.com/\"]Tumblr[/url] | [url=\"http://twitter.com/EvilPandaPirate\"]Twitter[/url]
    \"FFXII doesn't really have a story to tell, and so it doesn't. FFXIII doesn't really have a story to tell, but has hours of cutscenes anyway.\" -SiliconNooB
  • keele864keele864 Member Full Members
    edited March 2007
    Still need to see Pan's Labyrinth. Saw Children of Men a few days ago; great movie. I need to read the book one of these days, especially since I'm a fan of P.D. James.

The Big Sleep was on TCM last night, but I only watched a bit, as I wanted to read the book before seeing the movie (I have a copy on my shelf, in fact). I'll probably rent the movie very soon after reading the book, as it is by all accounts one of the best films ever made. What I saw of the movie only suggested that this is true.

In fact, I think I'm going to log off in a minute and start in on the novel.
  • MiyosakaMiyosaka Member Full Members
    edited March 2007
    Children of Men is really great. Pan's Labyrinth was also pretty good, but not as good as everyone says it is, I think.
    thanks for reading
    edited March 2007
    Pan's Labyrinth was amazing. At times, I think the "fairy tale" motif may have been a little preachy; overall, however, it was simultaneously touching and searing.

(A buddy of mine Bit Torrented it from somewhere, but deleted it because it was in Spanish. He was unimpressed when I told him it was, in fact, a Spanish film.)
    edited March 2007
    I'd love to see Pan's Labyrinth, though the title reminds me of Labyrinth. That was a fun movie to watch when I was young (sigh).

Saw Silent Hill and Butterfly Effect this week. Meh for both!
  • MiyosakaMiyosaka Member Full Members
    edited March 2007
    Saw Babel last night. Pretty good; much better than 21 Grams.
    thanks for reading
    edited March 2007
    A 2nd Bean movie, I'm so there!
  • Agent_009Agent_009 Member Full Members
    edited March 2007
    <span style='color:black'>Just saw 300 yesterday and while it was a little excessive at times, I still enjoyed it. ?In fact, I might have to see it again.

Edit By MonCap-Please use an easy to read font color when posting.</span>

• AdremmelechAdremmelech The Original Playa... Full Members
    edited March 2007
    300 ROCKS!!!!! If you dont mind the extreme violence and nipplage. And when I say extreme, I mean EXTREME!
  • King Luca BlightKing Luca Blight Member Full Members
    edited March 2007
    PRIMER!!!!

You gotta watch this movie.
    edited March 2007
    300 did not impress me. The great special effects could not compensate for the mediocrity that was the rest of the film. Call it an "epic story" all you like, but that doesn't excuse it from being boring. Nor does it mean I have to swallow the endlessly repeated "for death and glory" catchphrases that acted as stand in for real dialogue. Bad ending, copypasta characters, and gratuitous nudity.

That being said, I will probably watch it again for the ZOMG factor.

</$0.02>
  • JeffreyJeffrey Member Full Members
    edited March 2007
    Thank You For Smoking will shock and amuse you.
    [url=\"http://evilpandapirate.tumblr.com/\"]Tumblr[/url] | [url=\"http://twitter.com/EvilPandaPirate\"]Twitter[/url]
    \"FFXII doesn't really have a story to tell, and so it doesn't. FFXIII doesn't really have a story to tell, but has hours of cutscenes anyway.\" -SiliconNooB
  • Agent_009Agent_009 Member Full Members
    edited March 2007
    Finally got a chance to watch Children of Men last night. I must say, I thought it was excellent. Also, Michael Caine as a pothead is good stuff. I'll have to see it again though, cause they lay that British accent on thick so some of time I couldn't understand their sentences.
  • Seargent06Seargent06 Member Full Members
    edited April 2007
    Freddy vs. Jason, Mr. Orgasmo
    [url=\"http://obelisk1planethell.blogspot.com\"]Visit my blog[/url]

\"Smile It will confuse people and make them wonder what your thinking\"