If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Watch any good movies lately?

Comments

• Seargent06Seargent06 Member Full Members
    edited April 2007
    BLEACH epsodes 1- 25
    [url=\"http://obelisk1planethell.blogspot.com\"]Visit my blog[/url]

\"Smile It will confuse people and make them wonder what your thinking\"
  • AdremmelechAdremmelech The Original Playa... Full Members
    edited April 2007
    Ok. Im going to keep this short, sweet, and spoiler free. If you thought 300 was intense, Grindhouse blows it out of the water. It does a good job of keeping to the Grindhouse feel and very much worth your time. Planet Terror was all kinds of awesome. I dont think ive seen gore on that scale since Scanners. It was non-stop. Death Proof was also quite good, but it is dialogue heavy. There is a lot of conversation at the beginning (which is cool to establish relationships) and in the middle (which is ok, but it drags a bit). The end of Death Proof makes all the sitting around worth it. Best part of Grindhouse are the fake trailers. They are like the ones you would see at an old fashion drive-in movie feature, only they upped the comedy level on it (or maybe we are just so used to seeing extreme things that it didnt bother us much to watch and laugh at them). Grindhouse is not for the sqeemish. Seriously.
  • RainaRaina Member Full Members
    edited April 2007
    Yes! I am so going to see this!!!!! *hugs Dremmy* Oh dremmy, you're a man after my heart. <3 ^^ Oh and I just watched Millenium Actress again, *sigh* I love that movie. ^^
  • Seargent06Seargent06 Member Full Members
    edited April 2007
    Cast Away
    [url=\"http://obelisk1planethell.blogspot.com\"]Visit my blog[/url]

\"Smile It will confuse people and make them wonder what your thinking\"
  • VigivalgusVigivalgus Member Full Members
    edited April 2007
    Inside Man was pretty good. Not as psychological as I would have liked, but a solid step above the usual cop/heist/action film. I liked the liberal use of non-chronological storytelling.
  • bain_nickbain_nick Be Water my friend Full Members
    edited April 2007
    Shrek
    Always good for a small chuckle.
    http://melodysheep.bandcamp.com/track/be-water-my-friend-bruce-lee (Youtube video been taken down soooo)
    Steam: bain_nick Add me, maybe we can play something together.
    League of Legends: NA Server: Bainick
    The problem with HM/RF games for me, is the opposite of my issues in real life.
  • Slayer of GodSlayer of God Member Full Members
    edited April 2007
    Watched Cowboy Bebop the movie for the first time in at least five or six years today. Great film that encaptures everything that was great about the series.
    Within the spreading darkness, I pledged a vow to the revolution.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Member Full Members
    edited April 2007
    The Cowboy Bebop movie was quite good. That's speaking as someone who has never seen the series at all.

Finally got around to watching the very amusing Borat. I was lucky to watch it by myself the first time; the second time I watched it was ruined by my friends, who laughed when he made fun of others, but started hating when things got a little too close to home. Hypocrites.
    [url=\"http://evilpandapirate.tumblr.com/\"]Tumblr[/url] | [url=\"http://twitter.com/EvilPandaPirate\"]Twitter[/url]
    \"FFXII doesn't really have a story to tell, and so it doesn't. FFXIII doesn't really have a story to tell, but has hours of cutscenes anyway.\" -SiliconNooB
  • Cactuar JoeCactuar Joe Member Full Members
    edited April 2007
    Not really a movie, but I watched the third disc of the anime Ergo Proxy last night. That series is shaping up to be a serious, serious mindjob. So naturally I love it. ^^
  • King Luca BlightKing Luca Blight Member Full Members
    edited April 2007
    Grindhouse is great. Also go see Green Street Hooligans.
  • FrozenbabylonFrozenbabylon POW! Full Members
    edited April 2007
    Nobody went to see Aqua Teen Hunger Force? Seriously? That movie was awesome!!
    edited April 2007
    I would duders, but my local theater isn't carrying it. D:
  • keele864keele864 Member Full Members
    edited April 2007
    I have the DVD of Touch of Evil from Netflix sitting on my desk. I tried to get some of my friends to watch it, thinking that surely everyone would enjoy a 1958 Orson Welles film with some of the best cinematography in film history and an all-star cast with everyone from Marlene Dietrich to Janet Leigh to the director himself. Who could resist?

My friends decided to watch Team America instead. Sometimes I wonder, I really do.
    edited April 2007
    <div>
    (Slayer of God @ Apr. 14 2007,18:27)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">I would duders, but my local theater isn't carrying it. D:</div>
    What travesty befalls your hometown, my friend.
  • keele864keele864 Member Full Members
    edited April 2007
    Even my city carries ATHF.

And I live in Boston.
    edited April 2007
    It's not that there isn't a theater in the entire Pittsburgh area that isn't carrying the film. It's that the one closest to my house isn't, and I really don't feel like driving over a half-hour to the next nearest one, especially with gas prices the way they are.
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited April 2007
    <div>
    (Slayer of God @ Apr. 15 2007,15:16)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">It's not that there isn't a theater in the entire Pittsburgh area that isn't carrying the film. It's that the one closest to my house isn't, and I really don't feel like driving over a half-hour to the next nearest one, especially with gas prices the way they are.</div>
    Silly, that's what the bus is for. smile.gif
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • kittenofthepackkittenofthepack It bes a cat hat! Full Members
    edited April 2007
    I watched a lot of movies this weekend.

Meet The Fockers - That movie made me laugh so hard. I love little Jack. xD

View from the top - As very funny & cute. biggrin.gif

Van Helsing - Hugh Jackman was the only reason I diddn't start to fall alseep during this whole movie.

Underworld: Evolution - If your a fan of lots of bloody fight scenes than this is for you. I diddn't think it was all that great.

I watched a few others but they don't seem all that note worthy.
  • lost_keeperlost_keeper Member Full Members
    edited April 2007
    <div>
    (King Luca Blight @ Apr. 14 2007,15:45)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Grindhouse is great.</div>
    Grindhouse: Part 1 - Planet Terror was brilliantly tacky! Loved it. ?"I never miss..." hehehe.

Part 2 - Deathproof was horrible. ?Tarantino should just stop making films.
    edited April 2007
    <div>
    (lost_keeper @ Apr. 22 2007,21:23)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Part 2 - Deathproof was horrible. Tarantino should just stop making films.</div>
    Gasp. I don't... I don't think I can talk to you anymore, Keeper...

I don't think that it's physically possible for me to ever disagree with you more. Tarantino is basically my favorite director right now.

You DO have to take his films with a grain of salt and alot of suspension of disbelief.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Member Full Members
    edited April 2007
    I haven't liked a Tarantino movie since....er....Reservoir Dogs, actually. ? Though Pulp Fiction did have some great moments; I just felt the presentation as a whole was sub-par.

Watched Smokin' Aces the other night. ?Awesome.

[url=\"http://evilpandapirate.tumblr.com/\"]Tumblr[/url] | [url=\"http://twitter.com/EvilPandaPirate\"]Twitter[/url]
    \"FFXII doesn't really have a story to tell, and so it doesn't. FFXIII doesn't really have a story to tell, but has hours of cutscenes anyway.\" -SiliconNooB
  • bain_nickbain_nick Be Water my friend Full Members
    edited April 2007
    Leminy Snicketts.

Will I ever grow up? Probably not.
    http://melodysheep.bandcamp.com/track/be-water-my-friend-bruce-lee (Youtube video been taken down soooo)
    Steam: bain_nick Add me, maybe we can play something together.
    League of Legends: NA Server: Bainick
    The problem with HM/RF games for me, is the opposite of my issues in real life.
    edited April 2007
    It seems that nobody in all of the internet (besides movie critics) can explain WHY they hated Deathproof. Can we, like, change that?

Thanks.
    edited April 2007
    <div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">I don't think that it's physically possible for me to ever disagree with you more. Tarantino is basically my favorite director right now. </div>

Well, for me it was the hype. ?There is so much hype surrounding that man that there is just too much expectation... and then too much let down. ?I'm not saying he's bad, he's innovative but lately he's getting too pretentious. ?I mean just listen to him whenever he's on a late night talkshow. ?I think he's riding on fame and has lost touch with his creative side. ?His films have progressively gotten worse. ?I sort of liked Kill Bill... but then I rather watch BATTLE ROYALE 1... and yes, even BR2. ?Deathproof was pretty bad; I was thinking it was going to be good... but it wasn't. ?Watch Grindhouse for Planet Terror and the funny ads in between films but not for deathproof! ?

<div>
    (Adremmelech @ Apr. 23 2007,13:50)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">It seems that nobody in all of the internet (besides movie critics) can explain WHY they hated Deathproof. Can we, like, change that?

Thanks.</div>
    well, the dialogue was ordinary especially when the story shifted to the four friends. ?It felt like I was listening to my own friends talk [hmm... the boring ones at least!]. ?I dunno about you but I'd rather save myself $10 and just have a chat with some buddies. ?The only part of the dialogue I enjoyed was the Manila reference"...we were at an outdoor rave in Manila..." but I won't explain about that though. ?

What was interesting was the story about deathproof cars and the awesome non-cgi action sequences. ?But even that was played down by the sloooooooooooow shallow story. ?Even then deathproof is split between two stories that when put together makes almost no sense!! Tarantino built Kurt Russell's character up only to tear him down later on, complete 360 [no spoilers won't say what that's about]. ?It was overall boring and confused [not confusing, there is a difference].
    edited April 2007
    Thats more like it, lost_keeper.

I hear what you're saying, but I disagree. Deathproof actually kept much closer to the Grindhouse theme than Planet Terror. If you watch them, they all contain mindless dialogue. I can totally see why some wouldn't like the heavy dialogue. It sort of takes you out of the adrenaline rush you obtained from Planet Terror. I find the dialogue quite important to the movie. We get to know these guys and stay involved in thier lives. Its also quite interesting to try and catch all the references that litter the conversation that pay homage to the car chase movies of the past. I also think it shows that QT can do good girl dialogue and not just tough guy talk. The first half of DP was pure slasher film material while the second half presented something different. The comeupance. <span class="spoiler">I have heard some say that Stuntman Mike pussed out. I dont think he did. What would YOU do if you were shot in the arm? Stand there with a smile on your face?</span> You dont see this much in slasher movies. Its a bit like Resevoir Dogs where you see something that the other films dont show you. <span class="spoiler">Finally, the victims get thier proper revenge. </span>I would have liked another scene with Stuntman Mike taking down another victim with his car, but it WAS a double feature and that would be asking too much.
    edited April 2007
    I actually agree with you on part 2 of DP. I liked those changes (the ones mentioned in your highlights) and if it was by itself, without part 1, I could probably appreciate it more. However, my big gripe is that with part 1 before it, the narrative as a whole felt broken. The change was so sudden that it didn't leave time for viewers to understand why; a film needs to explain why things are happening the way they are. Of course I don't mean direct spoon-feeding but there has to be a point where every component of a film MUST come down to that single desired image. If it doesn't then we end up debating like this!

Here's an example, you said we get to learn about the lives of the characters through the heavy dialogue; I dunno about you but I didn't learn much about Stuntman Mike. He was still mysterious, as he's suppose to be, but without knowing Stunman Mike's motives it's tough to accept what happens in part 2, after seeing how he acted in part 1. What we know, how it was set up, and how it played out were all a jumbled jigsaw puzzle.

Also on the same concept of a single image, the problem with the references is that to truly appreciate it one must be a fan of the genre. Anybody could pick up on the clues (something Tarantino did well for newbies) but they wouldn't be able to understand them further. The problem also was he didn't make it interesting; I was not inspired at any point in this film to learn more about the genre or the characters. "Ship's mast" was done well though.

The film, was filled with non-essential dialogue; sure we learn about the lives of the girls, who they are, and where they've been; but was it absolutely necessary to drag it out so long? I don't think it was that involving. It was at most too much information. Don't get me wrong, I love dialogue but I love good dialogue even better. A good writer can establish a character's persona in the shortest time possible and a really good writer can do that in a single sentence. I did like some lines in part 1 of DP, especially in the part when they get in the car for the first time.

In the end I believe he had another good idea and messed it up again. It seemed a lot of people agreed, nearly half the audience got up and left while DP was on. I didn't leave though, I always respect a film and watch it from opening credits to closing credits.
    edited April 2007
    <div>
    (lost_keeper @ Apr. 24 2007,13:34)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Here's an example, you said we get to learn about the lives of the characters through the heavy dialogue; I dunno about you but I didn't learn much about Stuntman Mike. ?He was still mysterious, as he's suppose to be, but without knowing Stunman Mike's motives it's tough to accept what happens in part 2, after seeing how he acted in part 1. ?What we know, how it was set up, and how it played out were all a jumbled jigsaw puzzle.</div>

Actually, that part was explained during Stuntman Mikes hospital stay by the Sherriff. He tells us why Mike does what he does.

<div>
    (lost_keeper @ Apr. 24 2007,13:34)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Also on the same concept of a single image, the problem with the references is that to truly appreciate it one must be a fan of the genre. ?Anybody could pick up on the clues (something Tarantino did well for newbies) but they wouldn't be able to understand them further. ?The problem also was he didn't make it interesting; I was not inspired at any point in this film to learn more about the genre or the characters. </div>

That makes sense.

<div>
    (lost_keeper @ Apr. 24 2007,13:34)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">The film, was filled with non-essential dialogue; sure we learn about the lives of the girls, who they are, and where they've been; but was it absolutely necessary to drag it out so long? ?I don't think it was that involving. ?It was at most too much information. ?Don't get me wrong, I love dialogue but I love good dialogue even better. ?A good writer can establish a character's persona in the shortest time possible and a really good writer can do that in a single sentence. ?I did like some lines in part 1 of DP, especially in the part when they get in the car for the first time.</div>

I thought it was well done. I had no problem learning about <span class="spoiler">the girls sexcapades or the legend of Zo? Bell</span>. I thought QT did quite well in establishing what type of character these girls are. I can see where your coming from, though i'm having a hard time agreeing with you on the 'good writer' bit. Cutting dialogue to just a few sentences of incredible dialogue wouldnt leave much of a movie left to watch. Sure, he could fill it with other things like more action and stunts, but I dont think it's necessary to cram more stunts into the movie just to keep it moving. That just a personal preferance. I guess I just enjoyed it more than you did.
  • MeoTwister5MeoTwister5 Member Full Members
    edited April 2007
    Pan's Labyrinth. Tomorrow.

Only one person shares my like for subtitled films. Saddness.
    edited April 2007
    <div>
    (Adremmelech @ Apr. 25 2007,23:08)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Actually, that part was explained during Stuntman Mikes hospital stay by the Sherriff. He tells us why Mike does what he does.</div>

I honestly can not remember this, so I'll just take your word for it.

<div>
    (Adremmelech @ Apr. 25 2007,23:08)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">I thought it was well done. I had no problem learning about <span class="spoiler">the girls sexcapades or the legend of Zo? Bell</span>. I thought QT did quite well in establishing what type of character these girls are. I can see where your coming from, though i'm having a hard time agreeing with you on the 'good writer' bit. Cutting dialogue to just a few sentences of incredible dialogue wouldnt leave much of a movie left to watch. Sure, he could fill it with other things like more action and stunts, but I dont think it's necessary to cram more stunts into the movie just to keep it moving. That just a personal preferance. I guess I just enjoyed it more than you did.</div>

Cutting the dialogue doesn't necessarily mean replacing it with more stunts or action. ?I was thinking more along the lines of imagery. ?Personally, I think the film could have used better cinematography but then again that would take the grindhouse atmosphere away, wouldn't it? ?Anyway, yeah I think you did enjoy it more than I did! tounge2.gif
  • SorenSoren ..not a pony.. Full Members
    edited April 2007
    Children of Men.

Was absolutely incredible, I just. Yes. I'm so very articulate. Everyone should see this movie. I'm glad my boyfriend convinced me to see it.
    Driving FB bonkers for years. Paw's Wife.