If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Watch any good movies lately?

1565758596062»

Comments

• JuMeSynJuMeSyn Code: Kirin Administrators
    edited August 14
    Another mishmash.
    Brave (2012) is good Pixar, and I'm happy to have finally seen it. I wouldn't call it great Pixar though. The attention to detail is typically nice, and all the Scottish accents among the vocal performances are pleasant to hear. It still felt a little draggy in spots though, and considering without credits it comes in at about 85 minutes that's a problem. Effective at the conclusion though.
    Swiss Army Man (2016) is like nothing else out there. That doesn't mean it's actually effective, but I can't claim to have seen any of it before. Any movie that begins with Paul Dano stranded on an island about to kill himself because he's really bored, and is able to get off the island because Daniel Radcliffe's corpse appears on the beach and is possessed of such intense flatulence that it propels a man to the mainland, is not like anything else. Radcliffe eventually starts not being so dead, and talks quite a bit. He also has more amazing tricks in addition to the flatulence, such as gushing water like a fire hydrant and possessing a genuine kung fu grip that smacks things in front of his karate chop action. I just wish I had actually cared what was going on. Since I lost interest several times in the middle of what are supposed to be fascinating conversations, I can't claim it's a success.
    The Alamo (1960) is one of two movies John Wayne officially directed. Would that it had been better. Wayne as Davy Crockett is fine with me, and I didn't really have a problem with Richard Widmark as Jim Bowie. Laurence Harvey as a Texan colonel, though? That's some baffling casting. Worse is that, even cut down from 3 hours as the version I saw is, it was still too long. Lots of speechifying and pontificating await. Wayne gets a good moment that feels like the actor instead of the character, but as Crockett he just gets to be kind of dull. The final assault by Santa Anna's troops is pretty good though (anyone who doesn't know what happened at the Alamo is going to be shocked, positively shocked) except it's about 10 minutes of a 150 minute title.
    The General (1927) is a blast from beginning to end. That's generally been my experience with Buster Keaton of course, and this one just cements what a death-defying guy he was. In addition to doing all of his own stunts on a moving train with no safety measures, of course, it's a comedy. The most important measure of a comedy's success is whether you're laughing, and I definitely did as the movie continued.
    Aftermath (2017) shows how low Arnold Schwarzenegger's stature has become, as it's a direct-to-video title. I hadn't heard of it at all until spotting it in a store recently, and I took a chance. What I got was a solemn but effective movie in which Arnold is a happy husband and father who has to deal with being told that his wife and pregnant daughter were on a plane that crashed. We also spend time with the man who was in the air traffic control office the night of that flight, in which two planes managed to collide in midair. Arnold does a surprisingly good job of conveying a grief-stricken man, and while this isn't a happy movie, I'm glad to have seen it.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.
    Bug (2006) is a strange creature, I'll give it that with no qualms. Scripted by the same man who wrote the stage play, and directed by William Friedkin, it also doesn't feel like a filmed play. Things move around and the actors don't just stand there intoning lines as if in front of a live audience.
    Having said these things, the setup is much stronger than the conclusion for me. The setup involves fairly well-realized human beings, while by the end the characters have ceased to be interesting. They're certainly more intense and unpleasant, but any hint of restraint is gone and we're just watching a couple of people with severe mental illness go deeper into madness. Which probably sounds more interesting than it is, unfortunately.
    The setup is that Abbie (Ashley Judd) meets Peter (Michael Shannon), and they have some interesting conversations before bonding a bit. Abbie's got some serious mental baggage though, and Peter has his own issues that start coming to the fore. Schizophrenia is the issue, and soon enough Peter is convinced that bugs are infesting him. Not his clothes, not his abode, but his body. Abbie is initially a bit doubtful but buys into it before long. Soon enough both have plentiful self-inflicted wounds from trying to get the egg sacks out underneath their skin, and Peter is convinced that one being buried under a filling in his tooth results in an episode of self-administered dentistry that isn't pleasant to behold.
    Friedkin does a fine job of making this more and more claustrophobic, but it's the downgrade in writing that left me not terribly interested by the end. Where we started with interesting characterizations, we ended with deranged madness, and it just wasn't as compelling as it should have been.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.
    Ah, Commando (1985). It takes place in a universe no one can possibly construe as reality. Which is probably why it's so much fun. It's one of the purest Arnold Schwarzenegger vehicles out there. Sure it's full of violence, especially in the climax when John Matrix is able to take out at least a hundred anonymous soldiers because they're so damn stupid he might as well be in a shooting gallery. Really, what people remember are his quips more than anything.
    "I eat green berets for breakfast! And right now I'm very hungry."

Also features Rae Dawn Chong innately knowing how to use a rocket launcher against a police van, while somehow not being thrown completely out of her car by the recoil. Not reality, nope. Fun it most assuredly is.
    Then there's Death Sentence (2007). I must admit to being fairly entertained by it, even though the tone veers wildly all over the place and whatever it was trying to accomplish is lost in the mix.
    First up, James Wan directed this. Traces of his early, gimmick-laden camera movements are all over the place, especially in a parking garage encounter with a whole lot of spinning 360-degree shots that are kind of distracting.
    Second up, Kevin Bacon does a fine job in the lead. He's always been a good actor, and here he does the best he can to balance a character that veers from a tearful apology to a son in a coma straight to arming himself for a killing spree. Not realistic in the slightest, but he does the best he can. Kelly Preston does fine as his wife, but really doesn't get enough to do. Then there's John Goodman, who doesn't really fit with the rest of the cast at all but is weirdly compelling when he does appear.
    This is a revenge movie, based on a sequel book by the author of Death Wish that had never been adapted before. When it was adapted this time, a whole lot was changed. It's still vengeance-based though, with Bacon (as Nicholas Hume) reneging on testimony before the court in order to get the guy who killed his son released, so that he can kill him. This puts him into conflict with the gang to which his son's killer was just initiated, and things get ugly.
    Despite the whiplash-inducing tonal shifts, I must concede that I was invested most of the time. The soundtrack deserves special demerits for being stupid and inappropriate though. Using a Sarah McLachlan song to convey sadness is desperate, and it happens twice. This isn't a good movie but I didn't hate it as much as many seem to.
    Shin Godzilla (2016) is like no other Godzilla movie ever made. I'm certainly glad to have seen it, but never did I expect so much dialogue. This is, in a way, like an Aaron Sorkin-written show with the amount of conversation happening. Even though I read fast, trying to cope with the dialogue AND the name/title/location of characters and events popping up on the top of the screen was too much at times. Since all the credits are in Kanji and I didn't feel like trying to count the number of names, it's hard to confirm, but there are reputedly over 300 credited speaking roles in this. I believe it.

Never mind though, it's a Godzilla movie, right? Well, again, this isn't like any other Godzilla movie ever made. That shot is from when the big guy first appears on land, and looks like... a fat, google-eyed Chinese parade float? Well, I can't say I've seen that before.
    In addition to the volume of dialogue and characters, what's striking is the attempt at realism here. Japanese government workers attempt to follow the proper channels in taking responsibility for the horrible mess that's taking place, and actually have talks with the prime minister about the idea of the Self-Defense Forces fighting back on Japanese soil against this creature. Resolving all of that takes a LONG time, though of course when shots are fired they have the usual negligible effect. There's also concern about trying to evacuate civilians from the affected areas, and the UN is brought into the proceedings.
    This is also a first, in that it's the first Japanese Godzilla movie to not reference the original movie since the original movie back in 1954. This is a new creature, one that's actually named by the Americans and has its name translated to Gojira.
    Speaking of Americans, there's a character who's apparently an American citizen and harbors hopes of becoming the US President. Crushing her dream is too easy though, because when she speaks English it's with a thick accent. Serious Presidential candidates don't have that issue.
    Those hoping for monster-on-monster action will be disappointed. Godzilla is certainly here, but he's not really the star of his own movie. He does deploy some moves we've never seen from the Big G before, and it's nifty to see beams shoot from his back and tail that take down anything coming out of the sky.
    Then there's some contemporary resonance. Particularly in the early going, where several times public pronouncements from officials are promptly countered by the evidence showing something different, we get a sense of displeasure with the official word. This comes from March 2011 and the Fukushima Dai-ichi reactor meltdown. I don't recognize the full ramifications but they're definitely present.
    Whether this succeeds is partly dependent on your own ability to keep up with rapid subtitle deployment, but it tries and achieves something completely distinct in the Godzilla filmography. Go in knowing that it will not be the standard Kaiju formula, and it may just be a worthwhile viewing.
    Street Trash (1987) gets points for originality. It also succeeded in making me feel disgusted, not an easy thing to do. So for a certain audience of people who want disgusting humor, this deserves to be known. I did laugh some of the time, but was just repelled at other times.
    Most of the characters are homeless people in an unnamed American city. This is a gutsy movie that dares to make pretty much every character an unlikable louse. We get a Vietnam veteran named Bronson who runs a homeless encampment in an auto junkyard, the gigantic owner of the junkyard who likes to harass the woman who works there, multiple homeless people who want nothing more than to get drunk, a policeman who's not very good at his job, a higher-up in some kind of mob, and multiple people who have one scene and are forgotten.
    The 'plot' (it goes away in the middle only to come back near the conclusion) revolves around an alcohol shop owner discovering some 60-year-old Venom liquor in his basement storage, and letting it out among whoever wants to pay a dollar a bottle. Funny thing, when it's consumed the result is rather like having powerful acid suddenly flood through one's arteries. Goo effects galore come from this, with lots of vivid yellow, blue and purple liquids flooding out of the victims. The gore is well-done, I won't deny. These practical effects have aged rather well.
    Other scenes are less appealing. I can see how it might be funny to have a woman so drunk that she doesn't notice she's no longer with her boyfriend having sex with some guy in a homeless encampment while multiple other men watch with glee. It's somehow less funny for the watchers to then drag her off, and the next time she's seen is as a corpse on the riverbank. Which the junkyard owner spies and engages in necrophilia with. Wow.
    Or the scene in which a man's Moo is cut off and tossed around between people having a fun game of catch! So heartwarming.
    I can't help but sense a current of maliciousness in a scene where a homeless man enters a supermarket and stuffs multiple items down his pants, including a raw chicken. He then enters into a heated argument with the MOD regarding whether he'll pay for the items, before exiting and spitefully knocking several displays over on the way out. This may mean something, but it's hard to tell what...
    This isn't something I'll be forgetting, but neither is it one I want to revisit.
    Drive Angry (2011) is over the top and ludicrous. It's also a lot of fun if you're prepared for that.
    Our setup is that Nicholas Cage plays John Milton, who escaped from Hell itself to go after a cult that's going to sacrifice his granddaughter. Amber Heard is a waitress he runs into, and despite being able to take care of herself initially when her boyfriend starts getting abusive Cage is there to help out, then they become a duo. Billy Burke does an excellent job of erasing all memories of Twilight as the cult leader, and William Fichtner is awesome as The Accountant. Balancing Hell's books must be a tough job, but apparently he's got time to chase after Cage and deal with the messes he makes.
    Of course, if this stuff is thought about closely it completely falls apart. This is one heck of a fun ride though. Want to see a truck somehow loaded with hydrogen crash into a police blockade and explode (of COURSE it explodes, why else would it be filled with hydrogen?) - well this is your movie. Want to see Nicholas Cage utter "I never disrobe before gun play" before getting into a shooting war with cult members while a naked woman who was having sex with him is on top? That's the most ludicrous scene, but it gels with the tone of the rest of the movie. William Fichtner responding to two cult members proclaiming that they're going to live forever with "If by forever, you mean the next five seconds, then you're right" is pretty nifty too.
    Not sophisticated. Rather fun though, and doesn't outwear its welcome.
  • paulhar1s50npaulhar1s50n HongkongFull Members
    Haven't watched any new movie which is actually good. I noticed that movies coming out these days are not that good or boring. Those days are gone where movies are actually worth watching in the cinema. Anyhow, these are the movies that I really like because the story line is really good.
    1. Clock Work Orange
    2. Machinist
    3. se7ven
    4. American History X
    5. Interview with the vampire
    6. American Psycho
    Whether movies are still worth seeing in the cinema is a personal judgment. I go there frequently because the experience is distinct from watching something at home. Plenty of lousy movies have always been released no matter when you look in cinematic history, and plenty more will be released in the future.
    Wind River (2017) is something worth seeing, for instance. It's directed and written by Taylor Sheridan, who previously wrote Sicario and Hell or High Water, also worth seeing. Wind River is not a happy movie, nor is it easy to craft one in this setting. It's extremely effective though. There's a thriller/mystery element to be sure, but more than anything it's a character study.
    What sets things into motion is Jeremy Renner, who works as a fish & wildlife employee in eastern Wyoming. While killing wolves that have been feeding on local livestock, he finds a young woman dead in the snow. She ran a long way barefoot in that snow, and whatever put her there seems to have been something homicidal. The death is enough to summon an FBI agent, played by Elizabeth Olsen. She arrives fresh from Las Vegas, the closest agent to the scene. Naturally she's not dressed or equipped for snowy Wyoming weather. It's not that she's incompetent or even a bad agent, simply unprepared. Employing Renner's character to give her vital assistance in navigating the land and people is critical for her being able to do the job, especially when the coroner has no choice but to pronounce the direct cause of death weather exposure. Certainly this woman didn't run through the snow barefoot without a compelling reason, and the evidence indicates she was raped, but without the direct cause of death being a homicide additional FBI agents won't be coming.
    Also, the young woman is/was a Native American, which wrinkles matters further because reservations have their own laws.
    There's some action in the movie, and some ugly gunplay. More than anything it's a thorough capture of this particular area and its lifestyle though. I liked that. Pretty much everyone in the movie is an adult who thinks like an adult, which I also liked. This is a grim tale in a place I wouldn't want to visit under these conditions, but I'm glad to have seen it. Renner is the lead more than anyone, and he acquits himself very well. Olsen does fine work too, but hers isn't as showy a role.
    No, it isn't setting the box office on fire. This is a tale requiring patience and the ability to get involved rather than needing explosions every five seconds. It deserves to be seen though.
    Legend (1985) disappointed me. I expected the one and only fantasy movie Tom Cruise has ever appeared in to be something interesting, especially when Ridley Scott directed it. The movie does look good, no denying that. It's surprisingly boring though, and I found it hard to keep watching when nothing interesting occurred.
    This takes place in a fantasy world where an evil demon played by Tim Curry wants all unicorns slain, because they have the power of light. Once they're all dead he can prevent the sun from ever again rising, because light is his bane. Since he can't go into the light himself some goblins have to be sent out in his stead. Apparently there are exactly two unicorns left in the whole world, and one of them gets killed pretty fast. It's up to Tom Cruise to join a few dwarves who are good, claim a couple of mystical armaments and get his girlfriend (Mia Sara) back from the clutches of evil.
    Anyone who expects interesting characters can check out of this one immediately. Tom Cruise shows off his trademark grin a couple of times but is mostly a generic fantasy hero. Mia Sara's Princess is also mostly a generic fantasy heroine, though it's kind of interesting when an attempt is made to turn her to the dark side. This is done by Tim Curry's Satanic villain, who is also pure evil but at least looks pretty cool when he finally appears late in the movie instead of just being seen in shadow.
    Yes, he has hoofs for feet.
    Maybe the problem is I was watching the Director's Cut, which adds about 20 minutes. No matter how impressive the sets and costumes are though, I was still just bored watching this. It's too well made to easily lay into, which didn't help.
    I admire Darren Aronofsky's nerve in getting Mother! (2017) thrown into wide release. I almost wish I'd seen it with a crowd full of people who didn't know what they were getting into, as seeing genuine walk-outs would have been a unique experience. I even heard from a co-worker who was interested until she spoiled the ending, and said she would have walked out on that.
    Well, I didn't walk out. I can definitely see what people got so offended over, and this would not be a good choice for anyone seeking a nice little horror movie. The trailers failed miserably at depicting what's going to happen. I don't think this movie works very well as a whole though.
    It takes place entirely in a home that is being repaired, primarily by the wife (Jennifer Lawrence). Her husband (Javier Bardem) is an author suffering from writer's block. Their existence is interrupted by a doctor (Ed Harris) arriving who thinks this abode is a bed & breakfast. The writer generously lets the doctor stay, something that his wife is not thrilled about but accepts. Then comes the doctor's wife (Michelle Pfeiffer) the next morning, to also stay for a bit and make things interesting. Things are unsettling and some pointed conversations happen in this portion of the movie, but it stays relatively grounded.
    That changes in the second half, when an army of extras appears to occupy the grounds and any sense of logic is removed. Dream logic, perhaps. Actual logic that would hold up in any sense - none whatsoever. People repeatedly ignoring Lawrence's wish to stop sitting on an unbraced sink that eventually pays off with a massive plumbing leak - that's only the beginning. Tons and tons of symbolism will be found throughout, but the kind of symbolism that would fuel term papers. What does the glass inspiration of the writer represent? What about the blood that keeps seeping through the carpet? Why would someone start painting someone else's house while there for a 'celebration of life?' What does the hidden room in the basement represent?
    There's something symbolic about no character having a name also. Get used to hearing everyone in the movie address each other either with pronouns or descriptive nouns.
    Near the finish is what really, really angered a lot of people. I can see why. I also can't get into it without probably irritating someone who wants to see this untainted.
    I could go into this a lot, but the bottom line for me is that it didn't really work. The first half has a lot of slow spots that prompted me to check the time. The second half isn't so slow-moving, but once it's clear that we're in a land of dream logic and dream motivation the incentive to care about what's happening is lessened.
    Blade Runner 2049 (2017) does justice to the original and expands its world effectively. It's not doing well because studio executives forgot that the original movie wasn't a hit upon release, but box office has no relation whatsoever to quality. As far as the reputed $150 million budget is concerned, at least it's clear that the money is right there on the screen. Sure there's a pile of CG, but in the world of Blade Runner that's completely fitting. This is a movie in which attention must be paid and mindless action does not intrude upon every scene, so it's probably dull to many who just want to turn off their brains for sci-fi. I enjoyed having a movie that rewarded paying attention.
    Ryan Gosling plays a Replicant with a serial number for a name. A mission at the beginning to retire an older model uncovers a mystery that he is tasked with solving, one that is extremely interesting to Jared Leto's character, the heir to the corporations of the original movie. This man is only seen a couple of times, but his goal of Replicants that can procreate is overriding. Considering Gosling's mission is nominally to kill the evidence that Replicants can procreate, this puts him at odds with his police commander (Robin Wright).
    Certain aspects of the technology displayed seem very appropriate, and will probably be coming in the future to the real world. Cars that have detachable drones built-in? Yeah, I can see that happening. Amazon or Google's digital assistants being made into holographic women that have unique identities? Sure, that'll happen in some capacity. People starting protein farms that don't use the standard forms of protein? Already being discussed. Holographic recreations of dead performers are already being used in Las Vegas. I liked that a time when the power went down and ruined all electronic records was also a significant element in the story. What will happen when the world loses power for a couple of weeks? It won't be pretty.
    Probably the biggest compliment I can pay the movie is that, even though it's nearly 3 hours long, it didn't feel that long to me. Had it continued I wouldn't have minded. Deckard (Harrison Ford) is in the movie - the advertising and posters have revealed that. The fact that he doesn't appear until 2/3 of the way along isn't a problem because getting there is extremely interesting. Fascinating world details and production design keep things moving along, though if someone isn't interested in taking in the world it could be seen as dull.
    There is one problem I have, and it's with the sound design. While the new score is 100% in keeping with Vangelis' compositions for the original, there are a few points when the synths are loud enough to become unpleasant. Maybe home viewing will alleviate this issue, but for a sound mix that was just right 99.5% of the time in the theater, those moments of intrusive music were distracting.