If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

What religion are you?

Comments

• The GeneralThe General Member Full Members
    edited October 2002
    born into Islam...now i'm just a hypocrite.
  • felixleongfelixleong Member Full Members
    edited October 2002
    Generally I'm not quite into religon... a free-thinker, you can say.

But I believe that every religon always teach people to be good (well... except for some which is "invented" by some crazy maniac). But extremist/elitist always try to convince others that "No religon except MY religon is real/good!"... I wonder what good is that for confused.gif.

But I like to study of the philosophy of the teachings in different religon and try to adapt the good aspect of every religon in my daily life.

• ArdeaArdea Member Full Members
    edited October 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (The Athenian @ Oct. 16 2002,04:50)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Ardea: ?"I'm an Angelist, by the way... just realised that I neglected to point that out."

Never heard of it. ?What is that, exactly?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Angelism is, essentially, belief in God and His angels. It's a strange hotch-potch of Christian, Jewish and Bhuddist beliefs. It goes hand-in-hand with Reiki.
    It also means that I now have an almost encyclopaedic knowledge of angelology, which is tremendously useful in pub quizzes.
    Heron Heron Heron
  • RhinoRhino Member Full Members
    edited October 2002
    I'm sort of a mixup. I am a Christian, because I believe in God, the Bible, and have accepted Jesus as my lord an savior. However, my views on the afterlife are quite Eastern. I believe in reincarnation, although I think we all go to a place of supreme happiness (Nirvana) eventually. And to those who said they hate religion.......why?
  • KainKain Member Full Members
    edited October 2002
    I put something down, but decided to just edit the entire thing...I don't believe in anything, i've got my reasons...that's pretty much enough

• little tigerlittle tiger Member Full Members
    edited October 2002
    Hmm... I believe in reincarnation, spirits, Recognition, and most of all: Love. I'm not very religious, though I do attend a Christian school. I like discussing God biggrin.gif

My real 'religion', far as you could call it that, are the ancient Greek philosophers. Plato, Socrates and Seneca in particular. I like Seneca's view on life, in that one is always learning, and that crowds are brainless and dangerous.

I also have a Buddhist name, and though I think Buddhism is very good, I don't always agree with that religion-- for example, a Buddhist (or at least those I've met, which is quite a few) can't own a Bible. That's just sad, I happen to like the Bible, even though I don't believe in God.

So basically, my religion is the kind that does not forbid me anything, that focuses on love and knowledge, and that doens't make me worship anything smile.gif
  • PhospheneHereticPhospheneHeretic Member Full Members
    edited October 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE" And to those who said they hate religion.......why?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I would daresay it's because they have had very negative experiences with the people who endorse a particular religion, so it's actually a misstated hatred that actually is directed at the abusers. Religion itself can't do much, it's the people who do all of the work with it. I suppose you can argue that without religion, some of these actions wouldn't be taken, but I'd just argue back that people will believe whatever they believe with or without a deity.

So, in general, it's probably just biterness toward a congolmeration of bad experiences that relate back to the topic of religion in some way.
  • MetacodMetacod Member Full Members
    edited October 2002
    I think a lot of my friends hate religion just because they're the kind of people who always need something to hate, and religion is a good candidate since they usually disagree with the political ideas of various religions. Also, I think they subscribe to the belief that there is no god because science or common sense "proves" it, which is rather shallow-minded in my opinion.
    edited November 2002
    I agree with Metacod, there are people that just hate religion, because well, there's nothing better to do. I have had an extremely negative experience with religion, which has caused me not to follow anything but my heart...that's my reason.
  • AlienaAliena Member Full Members
    edited November 2002
    Yeah, it's just a shame when those bad experiences cause people to direct hatred towards people who are innocent, you know? Simply because of what they believe, though they'd never intend any harm or malice towards them.
  • shadow024shadow024 Member Full Members
    edited November 2002
    im with mary im a Latter Day Saint too,(mormon) biggrin.gif So dont be mean to me,lets chat sometime Mary,AIM
  • DeshDesh Member Full Members
    edited November 2002
    Heheh, Mary-Alice is fun to talk with online... but make sure you call her Mary-Alice and not just Mary!

And there always a few of us rpgamer peoples online... talk to us! *Desperate attempt to get people to talk to me sad.gif tounge.gif *
  • shadow024shadow024 Member Full Members
    edited November 2002
    OK Desh ill chat with anyone too,if u want to chat with me send me a message,i need to talk to someone about ff7 too.OK AIM or Yahoo is what i have!
    edited November 2002
    In that case check out the messenger name topic, almost everybody's is listed there, so you can chat with us and we can talk about final fantasy, robots and sandwiches
  • maryadaviesmaryadavies She Shoots For The Stars Somewhere east of Atlanta, GAModerators
    edited February 2003
    Well, since another topic on religion and God was revived recently, I thought about it and thought I'd revive this one. As I said earlier in this thread, "be nice guys". By that, I mean, keep this civil, please--religion is a kinda touchy subject on this board and I know that well. And if you want to know mine..I already said it in the beginning of the thread (or just check my profile if you don't wanna look,k?). So, as Ardea asked when she originally started this topic: What religion are you?
    93a24222217c9c20a686db8be4676a84.jpg
    My personal page
    New to the boards? Confused? Find the answers here.
  • SinSin Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    I don't really have one.
    I don't believe in a higher power, or an afterlife, or reincarnation.
    I just take the pieces I like from different religions, and add them to my own system.
    I like some of the things in the bible (don't kill, steal...), but I rather like the buddhist way of thinking in most areas.
    Walken1.jpg
  • KamikazeKamikaze Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    I have no religion. I am avowedly Atheist.
  • ZelgodesZelgodes A Mastermind!? Full Members
    edited February 2003
    I'm a plain old prodistant(to be specific, presbyterian). I believe in God, the Bible's teachings, and everything related. I believe that we go to a higher place when we die, and live an everlasting life in peace(for those who are religion-illiterate, I mean heaven).

sad.gif I sound like a preacher...
  • Daemon SadiDaemon Sadi Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    Yea i dont really have one of those and ardea u already answered one ques. now ummm wats reiki?
  • MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited February 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Kamikaze @ Feb. 17 2003,16:51)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I have no religion. I am avowedly Atheist.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    As am I. ?It's nice to know that I am not the only board member who is. smile.gif
    LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
  • ArdeaArdea Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    'Reiki' translates as 'spirit led life-force energy'. Essentially, it is an energy-based healing technique, unusual in that energy used up during it is mereely channeled through, not drained from, the person carrying out the healing.
    Heron Heron Heron
  • Daemon SadiDaemon Sadi Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    Well thats cool, thanks for the explaination Ardea!!
  • Options
    edited February 2003
    I agree with Captain Vittles. Having gone to a Roman Catholic school for most of my life and going to church 4 times a week, too much church and religion has made me think way too much about it in a scientific way. I agree with the morals that the system gave me but I dont think i can believe in a god without any proof. science is the only truth, but the bible makes for a great story
  • generatorgenerator Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    i'm a lutheran who rarely practices. i believe in God, but i don't go to church, mainly because it's just too early on sundays.
  • Jibrille Tenshi-samaJibrille Tenshi-sama Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    I was born and raised Roman Catholic. ?smile.gif I still am Catholic. I go to church every Sunday, and I like going because it's interesting. Also, the priest of the church I go to (Newman Center) is funny. He's not like those "Brimstone and Fire" priests. But I haven't gone through confirmation yet. I was suppossed to many years ago, but I didn't.
    But I am also very open-minded to other religions. I like those Celtic and Nordic religions. My boyfriend's religion is Shintoism, and I like it. My best friend (who I've been friends with since middle school) is Mormon and we never fought about religion once. To me, it does not matter what one's religion is. We practically believe in one thing: God.
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Chrono f-ing Trigger Posted on Feb. 18 2003,20:10
    Having gone to a Roman Catholic school for most of my life and going to church 4 times a week, too much church and religion has made me think way too much about it in a scientific way.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Wow, you go to church 4 times a week? That's quite a bit. I only go on Sunday.
  • The FireDragonThe FireDragon Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    I was born a jew. I should be into it but I'm not. I'm into music. I'm a musician.
  • AlienaAliena Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    I'm into music too. In fact, I've got traditional praise team practice at 6 tonight, choir practice at 7:15, and contemporary praise team practice at 8:30. Plus, I get to sing a solo during the juice on Sunday (We're doing communion).

My Dad is really starting to integrate a lot of the old Jewish customs into his Christianity. Stuff like Passover, observing the Sabbath on Saturday, the various Jewish holidays rather than Christmas & Easter, even studying in Hebrew. Judaism is very beautiful, in my opinion.
  • changechange Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    im a christian when i can be bothered to put the effort in lol tounge.gif

but im going to get back into religion its a big part of family life with us
  • MirkMirk Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    i'm atheist/agnostic...i believe it's impossible to tell if there is a god but if there is it's nothing like the stereotypical god everyone thinks of when they hear the word
  • OrsonFuryOrsonFury Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    Non-denominational charasmatic christian. That's me. I enjoy going to church on Sundays, because it gives me a great chance to reflect the week that has passed and the decisions that I made. I was a catholic until 91' when I got saved and became a christian with the rest of my familiy. Since then I feel i've grown a lot closer to the lord and know him more on a personal level.

Being a christian has had a profound impact on my life. If I wasn't saved and didn't have jesus in my heart I'd be out there getting drunk and stoned with my friends on the weekends. And that's the truth.. I'm not perfect either I still struggle like everyone else in this world, but I give it my best shot, and when I mess up, I ask for forgiveness and try hard to stay away from my carnal desires.

I'm content to know I have an eternal place to look forward to when I pass away from this earth.

"The man who sees an opportunity and does nothing is asleep with his eyes open" - Fremen wisdom, Dune: House Corrino, Pg. 472