If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The Old Say Anything Thread

Comments

• Cassandra RamosCassandra Ramos Eternal Kyoshi Administrators
    edited October 2009
    The "Six Types of Evolution" certain creationists claim to exist are:

1) Cosmic Evolution--Essentially, the Big Bang
    2)Chemical Evolution--"The origin of all the elements today"
    3) Stellar Evolution--"The origin of the stars and planets." - The development of stars over time is referred to as stellar evolution, but not planet formation (although at the end of a star's life, planets may form).
    4) Organic Evolution--"The origin of life from non-life", in other words, abiogenesis.
    5) Macro Evolution--"The origin of the many species/'kinds' of animals" -When these certain people use the word "kind" the wornever explain what kinds are, except that it is not just species. <_<
    6)Mico Evolution--"Simple variations within the species/'kind'"

While among the definitions of the word evolution are "the process of change in a certain development" and "the process if working out or developing" and all of these processe are changes of one sort or another, they are not considered part of biological evolution. The theory of evolution only describes the diversity of life and state that all living organisms descended from other species through the modification in sucessive generations. While evolution does "pick up" where abiogenesis "leaves off," evolution does not explain the origin of life.

And for Arceus's sake, cosmology, particle physics and astrophysic have nothing to do with biological evolution at all! It's not "cosmic evolution," it's called the Big Bang theory which describes how our universe formed. Nucleosynthesis is the process of the formation of new atomic nuceli from pre-existing ones, but no one theory describes this. The Big Bang is theorized to have directly formed largely hydrogen and helium with tiny amounts of lithium and beryllium once the unvierse was cool enough. Out of stars that formed from the hydrogen and helium we get many elements up to iron due to nuclear fusion. A star that becomes a supernova has such intense nuclear reactions that even higher elements are formed, pretty much all of the elements found in nature. Fine with stellar evoltion since that is what the formation and development of stars over time is called, but it still has nothing to do with biological evolution.

Both macro and micro evolution are still biological evolution. The former just describes how one population can chage into a new species over time. Mico evolution describes how certain traits may arrive due to mutations and increase in frequency due to natural selection. As the names suggest though, micro evolution is just macro evolution on a smaller scale. Over time, the minute changes due to micro evolution will change a smaller population until it can no longer breed with the original population, meaning it has become a new species. Creationsists will say that micro evolution is real but macro evolution is not. I'm sorry but both occur. That is like saying I can walk from my house to the super market a block away, but I cannot walk further than that to reach the next town.

And actually, there have been observed instances of speciation/evolution of organisms other than bacteria in the wild as well as the lab. This site here has many instances, well as citing various books and published papers on them. This page has more. Here is one example, a species of mice:
    Quote: wrote:
    Rapid speciation of the Faeroe Island house mouse, which occurred in less than 250 years after man brought the creature to the island.
    (Test for speciation in this case is based on morphology. It is unlikely that forced breeding experiments have been performed with the parent stock.)
    Stanley, S., 1979. Macroevolution: Pattern and Process, San Francisco, W.H. Freeman and Company. p. 41

Yeesh, when was the last time I typed a post that large here? Oo

Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• shentinoshentino Member Full Members
    edited October 2009
    I think the big bang is a bogus theory. We have black holes, which are already too heavy to let even light escape.

If that's the case, then how could the cosmic "super-atom", which by definition is smaller and heavier than a black hole, ever explode?
  • Cassandra RamosCassandra Ramos Eternal Kyoshi Administrators
    edited October 2009
    It was not a real explosion. Nothing actually went "bang." The name in fact was a deragatory term for the theory by its opponents, but it somehow stuck. What actually happened, according to the theory, was that everthing that is in the universe today, energy-matter, space, time, and the four fources (as well as, I imagine, dark matter and dark energy)was squeezed into such a small space that it formed a singularity. This space then began to expand, carrying with it time, energy-matter, etc and spreading it out. Space suddenly going from a tiny, extremely hot and dense state to what we see now can be likened to an explosion, but it was not an actual explosion.

Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• Aquila HawkAquila Hawk O_o Full Members
    edited October 2009
    I think the big bang is a bogus theory. We have black holes, which are already too heavy to let even light escape.

If that's the case, then how could the cosmic "super-atom", which by definition is smaller and heavier than a black hole, ever explode?
    Little known fact about black holes. They're massive...ly unstable. Black holes will all eventually die and blink out of their weird kind of non existence. They also have a unique position in the universe in that they actually break out of the universe. That's what is weird about them. However, the Big Bang's origin is still hotly debated. One theory is that the big bang is the result of a Multiverse convergence. Ie. two universes collide in a massively powerful crash. How massive? Well enough to condense the energy in the collision into one point that rapidly expands inverse gravitationally as matter (ie, a "White" hole). In fact, this White Hole still exists today. It is the rapidly expanding universe we know of today. So basically, you're comparing a thousand nukes with a dust buster.

BTW, a White Hole is the inverse of a Black Hole. Where as a Black Hole is a point of Infinite Gravity (positive gravity), a White Hole is a point of Infinite Negative Energy (negative gravity aka dark energy).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    AquilaHawk on Battle.Net: Currently playing Starcraft II
    edited October 2009
    If you're talking about Hawking radiation, realize that the more massive a black hole is, the colder it is. For a black hole the mass of the entire universe to evaporate would be a long Derri
    edited October 2009
    Hence why it wasn't a black hole at the beginning. tounge2.gif White Hole.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MeoTwister5MeoTwister5 Member Full Members
    edited October 2009
    Another bigass typhoon's coming. Going to make landfall tomorrow morning. Jeebus.
  • ACPACP A Crustacean in a Pot Full Members
    edited October 2009
    Ugh. You poor thing. It's been a pretty bloody season this year. sad.gif
    When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.
    - Mark Twain
    edited October 2009
    Three words for you, Meo. Albany Medical Center. We don't get cyclones in Upstate New York until well after they lose their TD designation. Come here, finish your medical degree, check out some great US cities (Albany is the state capitol of New York, not New York City, and is an older city) such as New York and Boston (both less then 3 hours away).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • OyashiroOyashiro NEEDS MOAR UNDERBOOB! Full Members
    edited October 2009
    Man that sucks Meo. I had to go through Hurricane Ike last year, sucked majorly and I didn't have electricity for about a month. But that kind of storm only hits about once every ten years where I live. But it just sounds like mother nature has it out for you. Be safe, and be 'Crawful'!
    Give me Underboob, or give me death!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "As a gaming enthusiast, people who carry a pro-hacker flag for selfish self-entitled reasons and willfully ignore the damage that rampant piracy does to developers as well as hardware producers don't deserve to enjoy the games and systems that these companies have poured their souls into to produce."

"A late game is only late until it ships. A bad game is bad until the end of time." ~ David Jaffe
    edited October 2009
    Glitch work around.

On another note, Star Trek: TNG is on a local station every night. laugh.gif
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2009
    Firemyst is doing something retire-ish with rpgamer

http://pikamyst.livejournal.com/
  • bain_nickbain_nick Be Water my friend Full Members
    edited November 2009
    So I have a new lappy, quite powerful, very powerful, pity it came with Vista. Business Vista. Worst Interface Ever.
    http://melodysheep.bandcamp.com/track/be-water-my-friend-bruce-lee (Youtube video been taken down soooo)
    Steam: bain_nick Add me, maybe we can play something together.
    League of Legends: NA Server: Bainick
    The problem with HM/RF games for me, is the opposite of my issues in real life.
    edited November 2009
    Don't worry, Windows 7 will reach you in ... 3 or 4 years.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2009
    Oops I did it again!
    edited November 2009
    Oops I did it again!
    I played with your heart.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "As a gaming enthusiast, people who carry a pro-hacker flag for selfish self-entitled reasons and willfully ignore the damage that rampant piracy does to developers as well as hardware producers don't deserve to enjoy the games and systems that these companies have poured their souls into to produce."

"A late game is only late until it ships. A bad game is bad until the end of time." ~ David Jaffe
  • LassicLassic Member Full Members
    edited November 2009
    Oops I did it again!
    I played with your heart.
    Got lost in the game.
    edited November 2009
    http://losethegame.com

That one?

*ducks*

Actually I was talking about making another pizza tonight tounge2.gif
  • HyphyKezzyHyphyKezzy The Best Full Members
    edited November 2009
    You're not that innocent.
    Reads street English and speaks in collegiate - Ras Kass
  • ACPACP A Crustacean in a Pot Full Members
    edited November 2009
    Well, none of us are, except THAT GUY! *points dramatically at the aforementioned guy, who rabbits.
    When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.
    - Mark Twain
  • kittenofthepackkittenofthepack It bes a cat hat! Full Members
    edited November 2009
    We all know just how naughty ACP is. o.o But I won't tell anyone.
  • RainaRaina Member Full Members
    edited November 2009
    Our kitten thinks he's a dog.... He digs in the yard with our Jack Russell Sport. He tried to eat Sport's kibble and we had to get dog bowls for him so he would stop dumping his food and water everywhere. His idea of a good time is spilling everything and eating it off the floor, including his water. Now, he is howling with the dog. Sport howls every time my oldest practices her piano. He just howls with music. So I heard him but then I hear this other sound. I go downstairs and she's playing and laughing and points over to the dog. Sport is howling and Loki our kitten is howling too, only his is not an ooowwwoooo sound. He's going, "Mrrooowrrrrr, rowwrr rowr rowr!" I'm glad he and Sport like each other, but it's so odd he thinks he's a dog! laugh.gif
  • kittenofthepackkittenofthepack It bes a cat hat! Full Members
    edited November 2009
    Our kitten thinks he's a dog.... He digs in the yard with our Jack Russell Sport. He tried to eat Sport's kibble and we had to get dog bowls for him so he would stop dumping his food and water everywhere. His idea of a good time is spilling everything and eating it off the floor, including his water. Now, he is howling with the dog. Sport howls every time my oldest practices her piano. He just howls with music. So I heard him but then I hear this other sound. I go downstairs and she's playing and laughing and points over to the dog. Sport is howling and Loki our kitten is howling too, only his is not an ooowwwoooo sound. He's going, "Mrrooowrrrrr, rowwrr rowr rowr!" I'm glad he and Sport like each other, but it's so odd he thinks he's a dog! laugh.gif
    D'awwwwww!

When my kitty was a baby he used to trip over his water bowl. Little stinker butt always made such a mess. o.o But he was so cute ... maybe too cute for his own good.
  • LassicLassic Member Full Members
    edited November 2009
    3962901335_8d29f494ed_o.jpg
    edited November 2009
    D'awwwwww, It sounds like your kitty has a case of the cuteness disease. blush.gif

To bad its always ends up being fatal... down.gif
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

edited November 2009
    *facepalm*

Some people never learn blush.gif
  • SilentwolfSilentwolf Only Silence Full Members
    edited November 2009
    We have detected you are using the following Internet Browser: 'Mozilla Firefox'. This program is a known hack-tool and should not be used with our Internet banking services. Please use Internet Explorer.

Wait, what.
    Every sailor knows the tale
    of those becalmed at sea
    though at peace they can be found
    at peace they never be.
    edited November 2009
    We have detected you are using the following Internet Browser: 'Mozilla Firefox'. This program is a known hack-tool and should not be used with our Internet banking services. Please use Internet Explorer.

Wait, what.
    Hilarious laugh.gif
  • bain_nickbain_nick Be Water my friend Full Members
    edited November 2009
    We can get our dog howling my howling as well, cute thing. She does beat up on one of the cats though, in friendly dog westling sort of way. Not too rough though, as the cat would CERTAINLY tell her if she was being to rough. The cat is nearly as big as her as well. (The dog adores her).
    http://melodysheep.bandcamp.com/track/be-water-my-friend-bruce-lee (Youtube video been taken down soooo)
    Steam: bain_nick Add me, maybe we can play something together.
    League of Legends: NA Server: Bainick
    The problem with HM/RF games for me, is the opposite of my issues in real life.
  • RainaRaina Member Full Members
    edited November 2009
    Awww. ^_^ Yeah it is nice they get along. They even curl up together and nap. ^_^
This discussion has been closed.