If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPGBacktrack - PC Segment?

Phillip WillisPhillip Willis Certified PolygameistRPGamer Staff
edited June 2010 in Miscellaneous
On RPG Backtrack, I'm thinking of doing a segment similar to Mike's import corner, where I talk about PC RPGs of way back when. I know our audience and site focus on console / handheld RPGs (and, by extension, so does our cast.) Furthermore, PC only and PC centric (those that are made for PC but are later ported) RPGs seem to be going the way of the dinosaur, aside from some indy efforts.... but this might give both kinds of PC RPGs some attention that they may not have received in the past. And, considering most laptops and computer these days can play these games (as technology has advanced), the potential audience is more considerable. So, what do you all think?

The alternative, of course, would be a greater focus on console RPGs. Yup, we COULD focus even more on them, if that's what everyone wants!

Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!

Comments

• lithoroselithorose Fire! Fire! Meiuuu! Full Members
    edited June 2010
    I think you should get in the way, way back machine and do Quest for Glory.:D
  • Aquila HawkAquila Hawk O_o Full Members
    edited June 2010
    I like the sounds of it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    AquilaHawk on Battle.Net: Currently playing Starcraft II
  • Phillip WillisPhillip Willis Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2010
    Oh, and taking a queue from Lithorose, let me ask, if I were to do this segment, what PC RPGs would you like to see covered?
    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!
  • Overlord_LeonOverlord_Leon Member Full Members
    edited June 2010
    Sounds good to me. I'd love to get into some good, old PC RPG's.
    Also known as Deimosion on various corners of the internet.
    edited June 2010
    Oh, that's easy, Diablo I and II. Maybe Nox if you are feeling a little masochistic.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited June 2010
    I liked the Zelda-esque Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen.
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited June 2010
    Any particular reason why you would do this instead of just dedicating an episode to PC RPGs in the same way you do console RPGs? Not that I don't want to see more PC RPGs covered, it just seems like an odd way of doing things.

Presuming you do go forward with it though, some suggestions:

Older stuff:

Ultima series (in particular IV and VII)
    The SSI Gold Box games
    Darklands
    Realms of Arkania

Newer stuff:

Gothic
    Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
    The Temple of Elemental Evil
    edited June 2010
    Good question, Throne.

I'm presuming that you are asking why we wouldn't just schedule and talk about these PC games during the main show segment (lovingly titled, "The Main Event").

My thought process is this....

We have a ton of games slated for future shows. When we asked the staff for games they would want to come on to backtrack and talk about, I was astounded at the sheer number of titles they came up with. However, the vast majority are are mainstream console/handheld RPGs. Now, there are a few PC games on this very, crowded list, including the Ultima Series (which you mentioned) and Witcher. Eventually, we will make it to those guys on the list, and give them a proper show.

However, most of PC RPG classics , are not on the list and probably will not ever make it. Remember, the list is a compilation of games that staff members are familiar with and are willing to discuss. We could, of course, add PC games on there, but chances are, we wouldn't have anyone else show up ... and then it would probably be just Mike and I talking...with me doing most of it. And that's a very, scary thought... for the audience.

That's why Mike does an "Import Corner" segment. He talks for about five minutes about games that no one else on staff usually knows much about, yet is interesting to a portion of our audience. So...that's why I'm thinking about handling PC games the same way. Not to mention, I'll be able to talk about a lot more of the smaller/less popular PC games that way (Stonekeep, Avernum or Star Wolves anyone?)
  • MeoTwister5MeoTwister5 Member Full Members
    edited June 2010
    Hows about dem Ultimas? All of them?

Yes even Ascension. tounge2.gif
    edited June 2010
    Ultima, as a series, is actually on the list of games to be covered by the whole panel, though no date is set on that show yet.
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited June 2010
    Fair enough. Sounds like this is a good solution then.
  • SundoulosSundoulos Member Full Members
    edited June 2010
    I'd second the request for Quest For Glory, actually. That and maybe The Bard's Tale series.
    Monster Hunter Tri ID: N49H18
    Monster Hunter Name: Sundolos
    Region: North America
    edited June 2010
    I'm glad to see the support for the DOS games. And, yes, Quest for Glory was one of my favorite games as well. In fact, I believe it was the first CPU RPG I played, around the same time as the Gold Box games. Is there a good way to actually play them though? I don't believe GoG and Steam have them (Have I told y'all how much I love GoG?) I could try to DosBox them if I can find the original files somewhere (That's always a last resort for me, however)

• flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited June 2010
    Download Quest for Glory II for free (and for legit) right here! Awesome!!
    edited June 2010
    I've played (and highly recommend) playing the QFG2 and King's Quest remakes found on AGDI's website (follow the link graciously provided by Flamethrower) if you have a love for old Sierra adventure games at all.

Not to derail the discussion (especially since there already is a thread dealing with Activision), but I've been very surprised that Activision never shut down the AGDInteractive downloads since they did give a C&D letter to The Silver Lining team.

Perhaps it's because the AGDI remakes were already completed with the blessings of license owners at the time. (Vivendi, I think?)

...or is it just because Activision's lawyers just haven't found them yet?

EDIT: Based on what I've read now on TSL's forums, the difference is that Activision is honoring the finalized, completed contract that Vivendi Universal made with AGDI a long time ago. Pardon my earlier cynicism.

edited June 2010
    Hm, well I have the CD-ROM collection, so I didn't think about the difficulty of obtaining legal versions.

Doubtless there's a high nostalgia factor to the old text-based games, but I really think they had something none of the games since have had. You could interact with anything on screen in any way, and it was only limited by your's and the programmer's imaginations. While the shift to VGA was beautiful, the shift to mouse-based cursors limited interaction to specific objects that stuck out like sore thumbs, with only about three things to do with each object.

I also miss the hint books with invisible markers and 3D glasses and false answers. Sigh.

• MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited June 2010
    Well, instead of doing a straight-up PC segment, talk about the occasional PC games on the main Backtrack. There's enough of them on services like gog.com for mad cheap, like the Fallout classics and Septerra Core, that one or two eps would be nice.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed Full Members
    edited June 2010
    I've been talking to JC about joining in on the PC gaming segment/shows, since I'm an olllld-school PC gamer and have played a ton of the classic PC RPGs. As JC said, we'll focus full shows on the larger games, but there's plenty of lesser-known games like, say, Dungeon Master that wouldn't merit an entire show but would be fun to talk about for a while.

I'm definitely going to see if I can track down the crazy Ultima spinoff set in dinosaur land. I loved that game, even if I had to restore my hard drive from backup after a disaster involving tweaking my expanded memory settings to get the darn thing to run. smile.gif
    Becky Cunningham, Happy Snappy RPGamer Alum
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
    edited June 2010
    Doubtless there's a high nostalgia factor to the old text-based games, but I really think they had something none of the games since have had. You could interact with anything on screen in any way, and it was only limited by your's and the programmer's imaginations. While the shift to VGA was beautiful, the shift to mouse-based cursors limited interaction to specific objects that stuck out like sore thumbs, with only about three things to do with each object.
    I've often felt the same way, particularly when I was playing Quest For Glory 2. I think it's the only text-based QFG that I played (as I used the point and click, dialog tree remake of QFG1.) It seemed that you could ask NPCs about almost anything from the weather to your quest, and the programmers had included responses for a vast array of subjects. Prime ground for Easter Eggs.

I kind of miss those days, too.

I'm glad to see the support for the DOS games. And, yes, Quest for Glory was one of my favorite games as well. In fact, I believe it was the first CPU RPG I played, around the same time as the Gold Box games. Is there a good way to actually play them though? I don't believe GoG and Steam have them (Have I told y'all how much I love GoG?) I could try to DosBox them if I can find the original files somewhere (That's always a last resort for me, however)
    I haven't found one. The King's Quest and Space Quest collections have made their way to Steam, and I think a subset of those games are available on GoG, but I haven't been able to find the QFG series on there. All of my old games are actually on floppy, and they were probably lost, given away or purged during one of my moves years ago.

edited June 2010
    So, after much discussion, it's official! We'll be doing a PC segment every other show. Blast from the Recent past will be modified to discuss all the games for the month (from two years ago), leaving every other month to discuss a PC gem of our choice. Furthermore, Ocelot has graciously agreed to work with me to pull this effort off!

We'll be doing our first PC segment on this upcoming backtrack. And what game have we decided on, you may ask? That's right! By popular demand, we will discuss Quest for Glory I: So You Want To Be a Hero?

I'll also be reading some of the board highlights from your comments on the game. Also, if you would like to do a two minute recording expressing some of your thoughts, memories, etc., on the game, feel free to do so and email it to me. We'll get it edited into the show.

Thank you all for your continued support and great ideas. I hope you get a kick out of our conversation on the next RPG Backtrack!

• Cassandra RamosCassandra Ramos Eternal Kyoshi Administrators
    edited June 2010
    Sounds quite intersting. I say go for it. smile.gif
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

edited June 2010
    Quote: wrote:
    All of my old games are actually on floppy, and they were probably lost, given away or purged during one of my moves years ago.
    I can remember when they started putting them out on multiple floppies, and you could really see the improvements in technology with every game that came out. After 8-12 disks, though, installation was a pain, and corruption a hugely irritating problem. Especially when you had siblings that liked to open the little metal things on the disks to see what the disks looked like. We had to rebuy a lot of them on CD. Fortunately Sierra was gracious enough to put them out in packs.

I think my favorite old text-based game is Space Quest II, though the one that took the most time was King's Quest IV. Both of them are outside the site's coverage, but man, as kids we had more fun with being able to make Roger Wilco go to the bathroom (hey, we were kids!).

I think I'll try the old, old original with you guys. I've always played the remake, but I'm curious about it now. I also wonder also if newer games have trained gamers out of exploring the environment fully?
    edited June 2010
    I'll be interested in hearing your thoughts on it Lithorose! If you want, you can always do an audio recording or just write them here on the board. We've already got one audio and would love to hear more...or you can write about your experience right here on the board smile.gif
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited June 2010
    Quote: wrote:
    ...All of my old games are actually on floppy...

Thank you for making me feel hella old. I actually remember when floppies were the main feature on PCs, and my current PC doesn't even have a floppy drive.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
    edited June 2010
    Yes, but did you have games on 3&1/2" or 5"?

PCs haven't had floppy drives for years now. I got one of the last generation of laptops that had them, and it's 8 years old!

I'll try to send an email, JCS. I'll be out of town on vacation before I can finish the game, but I did spend most of Saturday at it.
  • KiroLMKiroLM New Member Full Members
    edited June 2010
    The fun part was the next generation, where you ended up having 8-12 CDs that you had to put in and out of the damn machine every time you walked into a room. I think the only game I still own on floppy is The Lost Case Files of Sherlock Holmes, which is 8 3.5"s. Mind you, I had a ton, but I eventually graduated to CDs, and when CD-Rs came out, well. That was the last time I ever used my floppy drive, and it was only to copy everything onto one CD.

I was digging around and found a copy of a copy of it I made. It had Jazz Jackrabbit, Commander Keen, Crystal Caves, Dangerous Dave, Jane of the Jungle, Budokan, Sharky's Pool Hall, and about 100 other games. Made me quite happy.
    edited June 2010
    Jeez, and I thought Outpost's 7 floppies was bad.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2010
    And then disk 6 gets corrupted... at least CDs didn't have so much problem with that.

Commander Keen was awesome.
  • Gold_guardianGold_guardian Member Full Members
    edited June 2010
    I'd listen to it! I'd love if you talked about fallout 1 and 2 and other pc games so I knew which ones are worth cheeking out
    ~Shining Nova~
    edited June 2010
    Well, Gold, the good news we are definately moving forward on it. We haven't worked out all the details yet; but we're definately going to talk about some PC games real soon. I believe the first one will be Quest for Glory 1... but who know where we'll go from there?