If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Tales of Graces F

13»

Comments

• MiyosakaMiyosaka Member Full Members
    edited April 2012
    I wasn't excited about this game at all, but I'm pleasantly surprised by how good it is. I had heard that the story was terrible, but it's actually not bad at all. Simple and fairly done before, but paced well. The character designs are still a bit too pastel / shuojo, but I enjoy the characters for how charming and developed they are. The battle system is great.
    thanks for reading
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    edited April 2012
    I'm now on chapter 3. Story isn't terrible or a masterpiece. It is cerviceable. The characters aren't great, but I have come to like them more thanks to the skits. The battle system is great and fast. It's my first Tales game that uses the CC system, and I hope we see more of those in the west. Sometimes I stay at a dungeon and grind titles, not because I need to grind, it's simply fun fighting and unlocking new titles.
    Dualizing felt like a chore at first, but I now find myself dualizing stuff for 30+ minutes when I visit some stores. I also like the eleth mixer idea. If I need an item for an inn request and no enemies in the area drop that item, I can put it in the mixer and it might create it for me.
  • EmeraldSuzakuEmeraldSuzaku Member Full Members
    edited April 2012
    I'm now in Chapter 4. It's very much a Tales game, and I find that I'm going through slowly because I keep running around checking everything between new areas. I unlocked Evil battle difficulty and kicked it over to that. If the SP was rolling before, it's a flood now. I had to turn things down to moderate for the last couple of boss fights of Chapter 3, though. Those were rough.
  • lolwhoopslolwhoops Member HalifaxFull Members
    edited April 2012
    So I started this up today and out of curiosity I looked up what DLC is available for it and it turns out there's ways to actually beef up your characters for money. The idea seems ridiculous to me, but at the same time I can see the appeal of double item drops or faster sp gain. Has anyone tried any of it? Also there's a few free ones too, so I got them just because.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    this is my twitter! come twit with me
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited April 2012
    lolwhoops said:
    So I started this up today and out of curiosity I looked up what DLC is available for it and it turns out there's ways to actually beef up your characters for money. The idea seems ridiculous to me, but at the same time I can see the appeal of double item drops or faster sp gain. Has anyone tried any of it? Also there's a few free ones too, so I got them just because.
    Actually Tales is not the first game to do this. Hyperdimension Neptunia, Record of Agarest War, and Cross Edge all do the stat thing already.
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    edited April 2012
    TheAnimeMan said:
    Actually Tales is not the first game to do this. Hyperdimension Neptunia, Record of Agarest War, and Cross Edge all do the stat thing already.
    This is also usual in various sports games and whatnot.
  • QuinQuin ne cede malis RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2012
    It's also not the first Tales game, as Vesperia PS3 had similar options on the Japanese PSN.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
    edited April 2012
    Quin said:
    It's also not the first Tales game, as Vesperia PS3 had similar options on the Japanese PSN.
    and the 360 had some options, but not as many as the JPN one.
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

• bain_nickbain_nick Be Water my friend Full Members
    edited April 2012
    Found an American version down here in New Zealand. Going to play it on my Australian PS3 when I get back.
    http://melodysheep.bandcamp.com/track/be-water-my-friend-bruce-lee (Youtube video been taken down soooo)
    Steam: bain_nick Add me, maybe we can play something together.
    League of Legends: NA Server: Bainick
    The problem with HM/RF games for me, is the opposite of my issues in real life.
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited April 2012
    Switching between characters in battle seems rather clumsy. What am I doing wrong?

1) Do you always start battles controlling Asbel? How do you change who you start as?
    2) Changing characters mid-battle: When I press the D-pad left to control Sophie, it shows "2P" in that slot (and doesn't change to controlling her). I'm playing alone. How do I change to Sophie?
    3) If I switch to someone else, Asbel will just sit there and look dumb. Is there a way I can switch him to auto and the other character to semi-auto when I switch control?
    edited April 2012
    Switch the person you want to play as into the palyer one slot on the menu screen. Generally in tales games you don't switch characters. If you want them to perform certain arts you select it via the menu otherwise you leave it alone. It's alot like Star Ocean in that respect.

• LordKaiserLordKaiser Gaming Freedom Full Members
    edited April 2012
    What I haven't figured out is how I steal in this game.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
    edited April 2012
    LordKaiser said:
    What I haven't figured out is how I steal in this game.
    Stealing is done automatically after you learn certain titles and upgrade them for certain abilities. Sophie gets the most attacks that will steal when they are used however Asbel gets one as well. The title system is the main basis of the game. I've gotten over 100 titles on three characters and am no where NEAR finishing those characters titles. I've completed a lot of them (after sinking nearly 100 hours or more) into the game of actual play time. But thats how you steal certain titles will upgrade certain attacks to be able to steal when they are used.

• ZbornakZbornak Member Full Members
    edited April 2012
    What setting are your characters set to in the menu? I have Asbel on "Manual" and the rest on "Auto", and switching characters works like it's supposed to. When I change characters with the D-pad, I gain full control over the new character and the old one changes to AI control. As for the "2P" thing, do you have a second controller hooked up?
    Get your Portable ID!
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    edited April 2012
    flamethrower said:
    Switching between characters in battle seems rather clumsy. What am I doing wrong?

1) Do you always start battles controlling Asbel? How do you change who you start as?
    2) Changing characters mid-battle: When I press the D-pad left to control Sophie, it shows "2P" in that slot (and doesn't change to controlling her). I'm playing alone. How do I change to Sophie?
    3) If I switch to someone else, Asbel will just sit there and look dumb. Is there a way I can switch him to auto and the other character to semi-auto when I switch control?
    Make sure that your uncontrolled characters are in auto mode. You do this in the Artes menu. You have at least two characters set to semi auto or manual. What you just described happened to me too in a few battles. After you do this, you should be able to switch characters mid battle without any problems and your previously controlled character will act on her/his own.
  • EmeraldSuzakuEmeraldSuzaku Member Full Members
    edited April 2012
    You can change who you start as by putting them in the top spot in the menu. The order the characters are listed in the menu screen correspond to P1 through P4, from top to bottom. You always start off controlling P1. So if you always want to start as, say, Sophie, just slap her in the top spot in the menu.

EDIT: Or I could have just read up the topic farther, as TheAnimeMan already covered this. :hopelessness:
    edited April 2012
    EmeraldSuzaku said:
    You can change who you start as by putting them in the top spot in the menu. The order the characters are listed in the menu screen correspond to P1 through P4, from top to bottom. You always start off controlling P1. So if you always want to start as, say, Sophie, just slap her in the top spot in the menu.

EDIT: Or I could have just read up the topic farther, as TheAnimeMan already covered this. :hopelessness:
    No worries mate, Re-enforcement is always good some times.

• ScarScar Member Full Members
    edited April 2012
    Man, am I glad that Hubert is another close range fighter, because Asbel's character annoys me.

Also, Hubert's fighting style is hella fun! Close and distant games galore~

Oh, and he is kinda frail, so I have been toying around with a lot of different titles to try and beef his HP and defense up so he can take some hits. My GF plays as Asbel, and she seems to enjoy his fighting style enough. He fights well enough, but I just can't stand his downer mood.

~

The game overall is a blast. I seem to feel this way for every new Tales game, but I just keep falling in love with the series over and over again. The CC artes were interesting and a little strange to get used to, but now it feels as if every new Tales game should use this same format. Right now I am currently in Fendel about to go to the Valkines with everyone. Back tracking has been a hassle, but I imagine I will get some method of fast travel soon enough. Can't say I have many complaints about this game right now.

Every since Suikoden stopped making new (you know what I mean) titles, I feel as though the Tales series has been the best JRPG to come state-side.
  • bain_nickbain_nick Be Water my friend Full Members
    edited April 2012
    It took me about 6 hours to reach adulthood, but i like to take my time with my RPG's. Work up and such (It's actually been VERY hard to not just sit down and grind away at those titles. And then I get more, and the want to grind comes back...)

I don't mind Asbel's downer mood. It's certainly not the worst Downer mood out there. He still has hope even when he feels like he can't do anything.
    Anywho, this watermellon is making me giggle far too easily, so i think I might just unequip it.
    http://melodysheep.bandcamp.com/track/be-water-my-friend-bruce-lee (Youtube video been taken down soooo)
    Steam: bain_nick Add me, maybe we can play something together.
    League of Legends: NA Server: Bainick
    The problem with HM/RF games for me, is the opposite of my issues in real life.
  • DapperDaveDapperDave New Member Full Members
    edited May 2012
    Playing through Tales of Vesperia with my roommate in 90 hours, we learned so many made up fantasy words it's like a second language. Anyone else know about the "Aer eating Entelechaia of the Weasand of Cadoss?"
  • GrimHoutenGrimHouten Member Full Members
    edited May 2012
    jajajaj made up words, thats always nice point in any fantasy game.

and AT LAST I finished the Future Arc, and the final boss crap so hard... had to change the dificulty to Normal, otherwise she pretty much rap*d me when she was near dead, spawning his Ougi every friking time.
    But I finish her with Blue Earth Extension and it was sooo worth it, that I fighted her 3-4 more times xD.

Also made it to lvl 8 of the zhonecage, until I got bored and wanted to start the NG+ once and for all.
    --I apologize for the crappy english, still learning
  • QuinQuin ne cede malis RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2012
    DapperDave said:
    Playing through Tales of Vesperia with my roommate in 90 hours, we learned so many made up fantasy words it's like a second language. Anyone else know about the "Aer eating Entelechaia of the Weasand of Cadoss?"
    I made a post about this a while back.
    Quin said:
    If you follow the Tales series, you will probably note the use of invented words to explain world concepts ("Blastia" in Vesperia, for example). These are usually written in kanji to explain what they are, like 始祖の隷長 (shiso no reicho) meaning "Lead servants of the originator", but given furigana to make new words, so 始祖の隷長 becomes エンテレケイア. When the game is translated, the pronounced word is used, so エンテレケイア becomes "Entelexeia", and the meaning of the word is completely lost in translation.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
  • Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2012
    GrimHouten said:
    and AT LAST I finished the Future Arc, and the final boss crap so hard... had to change the dificulty to Normal, otherwise she pretty much rap*d me when she was near dead, spawning his Ougi every friking time.
    But I finish her with Blue Earth Extension and it was sooo worth it, that I fighted her 3-4 more times xD.
    Don't worry, you're not the only one who did that ^^ (Well, I didn't do the fighting them again, nutter. :P)
    "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | NNID: severinmira | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)
    edited May 2012
    I'm trying to get an item expensive enough to do Zhonecage level 10.

• Rya_ReisenderRya_Reisender Solipsist Snowflake Full Members
    edited May 2012
    Europe here. Still waiting. =3
  • GrimHoutenGrimHouten Member Full Members
    edited May 2012
    ohh but you have the day one edition waiting for you, how I want it....
    how I hate that feeling of wanting to collect everything that is an Special Edition.
    well I will propably import it, or check if I can find someone that can do it for me xD.

well I started the NG+ with the x10exp bonus, tech usage, CC + 3, MIxer and movement speed bonus xD
    i finished the game with a 1500 Mixer.... It will be a long way before 9999 xD
    --I apologize for the crappy english, still learning
  • TyphoTypho Knight Errant Full Members
    edited May 2012
    Just got this as a rental in the mail through gamefly. Started on it last night, still pretty early on in it. Looking forward to it considering how much fun I had with Vesperia.