If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

March (Backlog) Madness!

Comments

• gaijinmonogatarigaijinmonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2013
    Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 2 (1 point)

I could go back and work on the three optional bosses (Valkyrie, Dhaos, and Celsius), but the final boss was more than enough for me. Tough little game towards the end.
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    edited April 2013
    Arcanum of Steamworks and Magick Obscura [PC]

It was a great experience and I'm happy to have finally beaten the game for the first time.
  • redwing42redwing42 Just Monika Full Members
    edited April 2013
    So, I'm really close to finishing a couple of games... hopefully I can get them done before tomorrow night so as to not embarrass myself this round.
  • FrozenbabylonFrozenbabylon POW! Full Members
    edited April 2013
    redwing42 wrote: »
    So, I'm really close to finishing a couple of games... hopefully I can get them done before tomorrow night so as to not embarrass myself this round.

If you get those 2 man, You'll still beat me. I finished the remaining episodes of The Walking Dead, but that still only has me at 2.5. If you have even 1 full game and 1 xbla game we'll still tie.

I haven't had a whole lot of time to post here lately, but I finished The Walking Dead: Episode 3 - Long Road Ahead on Thursday, The Walking Dead: Episode 4 - Around Every Corner on Friday and The Walking Dead: Episode 5 - No Time Left today. And I doubt I'll ever play them again. How depressing.

I'm still working on Assassin's Creed III as well, but I'm nowhere near done I don't think...
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2013
    Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 3 for 1 point!
  • SpaceLionSpaceLion Formerly kuhfuss5 Full Members
    edited April 2013
    Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare for 0.5 points.
  • HyphyKezzyHyphyKezzy The Best Full Members
    edited April 2013
    Messed myself up for a strong finish in the meta game. Everything in the Year of's this month I've already played and STALKER is turning out to be way meatier than I thought it would be. Which is nice and I'm liking it enough that I don't want to put it down for something quicker but still. I'll take a couple more goes at FTL during the time that's left and see if I can get another lucky point in there but other than that I think I'm probably done.
    Reads street English and speaks in collegiate - Ras Kass
  • kazrikokazriko Member Full Members
    edited April 2013
    Nyx wrote: »
    Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 3 for 1 point!

I thought that game was quite a bit shorter than that...
  • redwing42redwing42 Just Monika Full Members
    edited April 2013
    Ran credits on Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (XBLA) for 1/2 point. And with that, I likely concede this week. I had been coming down the home stretch on Devil Survivor 2, but I apparently left my DS charger at my parents' house and my battery ran out this morning. I'll see what else I can scrounge up for today, but I don't think I have another point's worth readily available.
    edited April 2013
    kazriko wrote: »
    I thought that game was quite a bit shorter than that...

It took me seven hours to beat and that was doing everything the game had to offer, including the fake and true endings. If you all feel it's not worth a full point, that's fine.

EDIT: Just completed the other game I was playing this week The Secret of Monkey Island [XBLA]. I've never played this before and I loved it. I don't know however if it gets 1 point or .5 since it's a downloadable title. Took me just under 7 hours. It's certainly tricky in spots.
  • Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2013
    Finished L&O Legacies Episode 6: Side Effects for 0.5 points
    edited April 2013
    It took me seven hours to beat and that was doing everything the game had to offer, including the fake and true endings. If you all feel it's not worth a full point, that's fine.

EDIT: Just completed the other game I was playing this week The Secret of Monkey Island [XBLA]. I've never played this before and I loved it. I don't know however if it gets 1 point or .5 since it's a downloadable title. Took me just under 7 hours. It's certainly tricky in spots.

Secret of Monkey Island is a full point. As for Penny Arcade, I think I'd like to leave the decision up to your opponent.

Oh, And I just finished Assassin's Creed 3 for a full point!
  • Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2013
    Finished L&O Legacies Episode 7: Resolution for another 0.5 -- Wow. That was...all quite surprising! I'm glad I played all the games more or less together...they brought in stuff from pretty much every single previous case.

======

PA's a grey area and I'm not sure what to say. Thus far we've been counting expansions, DLC, and episodic games (which Rainslick is) as a half point; on the other hand, we've counted "full games" as full points, with an earlier post caveating the time invested as to not drive up a bunch of short game point tallies [Edit to confirm earlier post in thread]. There's been no challenge before now on this one, so I can see the argument on both sides.
    edited April 2013
    I think I'm going to have to say that Penny Arcade 3 is going to have to be counted as a half point. Episodic content like Penny Arcade has been counted at a half point the whole time.
    edited April 2013
    Cthulhu Saves the World (PC) for 0.5 point. 9 hours and 23 minutes. That's actually the same as what it took me to finish Penny Arcade Adventures 3. Zeboyd makes really good 9 hour games. :)

I finished Commander Keen: Earth Explodes as well, but I doubt I should count it. There's less than an hour worth of content in this thing, and the only thing that makes it take longer than that is the crushing difficulty, which I tend to circumvent...
    edited April 2013
    I was thinking that with the Commander Keen ones, since they are so short, would you be good with 0.5 per trilogy?
    edited April 2013
    You know, I'm a little confused how PA3 is being contested as a .5 point when it's not a TellTale style episodic game which is actually two hours or so of your time. I also got to told it's "shorter than" the seven hours I put into, but Monkey Island was shorter than my playtime than PA3. I don't think the PA games are the same kind of episodic compared to the stuff that TellTale does. I'm genuinely confused here. Also I think asking your opponent seems a bit like a conflict of interest as well.

I'll gladly accept that I've been beaten by Paws, but I find it confusing that PA3 is 7 hours and a half point, while Money Island was 6.5 hours and a full point.
    edited April 2013
    You know, I'm a little confused how PA3 is being contested as a .5 point when it's not a TellTale style episodic game which is actually two hours or so of your time. I also got to told it's "shorter than" the seven hours I put into, but Monkey Island was shorter than my playtime than PA3. I don't think the PA games are the same kind of episodic compared to the stuff that TellTale does. I'm genuinely confused here. Also I think asking your opponent seems a bit like a conflict of interest as well.

I'll gladly accept that I've been beaten by Paws, but I find it confusing that PA3 is 7 hours and a half point, while Money Island was 6.5 hours and a full point.
    Monkey Island was at one point a full retail game. That was my reasoning behind that, at least.

Honestly, I don't care. I just don't like the idea of a XBLIG game being counted for a full point. The game is intended to be an episode in a series of games, but in the end, it doesn't matter. If you want the point, take it.

If you do, you and Paws will be tied and you'll both go on to this week, and I'll just drop out so you two can go at it again.

Like I said, I don't really care. I'm not getting anything out of this besides a clean backlog, fun and less money since I have to pay for prizes for the winners.

So do what you want, man.
    edited April 2013
    I was thinking that with the Commander Keen ones, since they are so short, would you be good with 0.5 per trilogy?

That's fine, for the first trilogy especially. I'll have to see if the second trilogy is longer. I remember 4 taking me a lot longer to play than 1. (When I was 12. Still never quite finished 1 or 4 back then, but I got close.)

Of course, I spent an hour and a half on Keen 2, 15 minutes of that was restarting and just redoing the missions I needed to win the game after I realized I screwed up the first run. There's only maybe 30 minutes of actual content if you don't count retries.

I didn't mean to start a big argument on that. Does that mean that Cthulhu would also be a point? I labelled it a half point because it was less than 10 hours and not a full retail release. You could make the argument that since Walking Dead is in retail form as a single game, that it'd be worth 1 point for the 5 episodes.

This is why when I do my games on my blog, I count everything as just 1 point... Of course, I don't count DLC or platinum trophies. Maybe I should do that in the future?
    edited April 2013
    Monkey Island was at one point a full retail game. That was my reasoning behind that, at least.

Honestly, I don't care. I just don't like the idea of a XBLIG game being counted for a full point. The game is intended to be an episode in a series of games, but in the end, it doesn't matter. If you want the point, take it.

If you do, you and Paws will be tied and you'll both go on to this week, and I'll just drop out so you two can go at it again.

Like I said, I don't really care. I'm not getting anything out of this besides a clean backlog, fun and less money since I have to pay for prizes for the winners.

So do what you want, man.

Dude, I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm just asking a question because I'm confused as to how things are being labelled. I just want to have fun, and I'm okay with losing. I'm just confused as to how I get a full point for something being shorter than the Indie game I played. I'm not trying to take the wind out of your sails here, I'm just trying to understand. If no one thinks it's worth the full point, then I'm fine with that.
  • TGBarighmTGBarighm Member Full Members
    edited April 2013
    This is why I introduced the 5 to 10 hour rule: between that, half point no matter what form of release the game had. Significantly less than that, no points. Walking Dead is what prompted the rule: it's tactically better to clear one episode at a time and claim the half point for each then it is to complete the packaged retail version and claim one point for the whole game (someone could have the packaged version and be doing it that way for more points). Also consider Terraria: a 33 MB XBLA game, but I've put 40 hours into the game and I still haven't beaten it yet.

It should be based on playtime, not on how the game was released.
    edited April 2013
    Here's a tldr for you.

A few months ago, I found a tiny hole-in-the-wall video rental shop. On their counter was a small plastic container with about 10 GBA/GBC games in it. Only 1 of them was the slightest bit interesting, Super Dodgeball by Atlus. I vaguely remembered playing this at some point in the past, so I paid my $3 and stuck it in my backlog. Fast forward to now, where I just finished 3 out of my 5 GBA titles recently. I decided to play FF6 next, and leave Super Dodgeball for last. I took my prior 3 GBA games along with Dodgeball over to my Cousin's house. He's moving 150 miles away this week and only has a GBA and PS1 for game systems, so I give him all my old games for those. Once I got there, I popped Super Dodgeball in to see if it's something I even want to finish, or if I should just abandon it...

2 hours later, I've played through twice, beaten the champions once, and beaten the game... It's now in the custody of my cousin, along with all my other GBA games except Final Fantasy 6.

Super Dodgeball (GBA) 0.5 points (It's a retail game, but only 2 hours)

I also went ahead and finished the first Keen trilogy. I can't recommend it. It's all of the worst that the old style nintendo-hard games had to offer, without the tight controls that most of those games had. I remember the second series (4 and 5) being much better.

Commander Keen: Invasion of the Vorticons Trilogy (DOS) 0.5 pt

Now for something completely different: Heavenly Sword for PS3 is my next game. Still working on FF6 though, but I doubt it'll be done this week.
    edited April 2013
    I'm sorry if I caused a problem, that was never my intention. Look if people are okay with me moving on, I'll move on. If people are not, I'll gladly continue to play the metagame. I'm not in this really for the prize, I've just been enjoying the fun and friendly competition. So I'm going to leave this all in your hands and you guys can administer my fate.
    edited April 2013
    I'm sorry if I caused a problem, that was never my intention. Look if people are okay with me moving on, I'll move on. If people are not, I'll gladly continue to play the metagame. I'm not in this really for the prize, I've just been enjoying the fun and friendly competition. So I'm going to leave this all in your hands and you guys can administer my fate.

You and Paws move on to the next round! There's no problems at all. I'm just going to let you two go again. I don't care enough to worry about it anymore. Haha.
    edited April 2013
    Okay, so Bayonetta (360) which I bought Fowl as an anniversary gift the day it released, is finally complete. God, I wish i hadn't taken so long to play this game. it's crazy, ridiculous and fun. Soooooo 1 point!
    edited April 2013
    Okay, so Bayonetta (360) which I bought Fowl as an anniversary gift the day it released, is finally complete. God, I wish i hadn't taken so long to play this game. it's crazy, ridiculous and fun. Soooooo 1 point!

Am I broken? I don't get it... People love the hell out of the games that come from Platinum, Bayonetta... Vanquish... But the only one that I've legitimately enjoyed is Metal Gear Rising...all of the other ones I've found to be sub par at best.
    edited April 2013
    Heavenly Sword (PS3)

I didn't mean to finish this tonight. I was just going to do one chapter per night this week. I finished Chapter 4, then I saw how short Chapter 5 was. So I finished Chapter 5... Then Chapter 6 looked so tempting, only being 4 scenes as well... And, done...

Now for Dragon Quest 2. FF6 was going to take too long, hopefully DQ2 will be shorter. :)

For the PS3? I dunno. Maybe Skylanders Giants... If I can find the portal.
  • TGBarighmTGBarighm Member Full Members
    edited April 2013
    Bayonetta... Vanquish... But the only one that I've legitimately enjoyed is Metal Gear Rising...all of the other ones I've found to be sub par at best.

I think it's because they're so cool. They don't "feel" like the usual hum-drum stuff we've played a thousand times before, although I personally didn't like MGRising. I found it dumb.
    edited April 2013
    Am I broken? I don't get it... People love the hell out of the games that come from Platinum, Bayonetta... Vanquish... But the only one that I've legitimately enjoyed is Metal Gear Rising...all of the other ones I've found to be sub par at best.

It was my first Platinum game (unless you could that some of the team worked on Okamiden), and I just liked the insanity of it. There was a lot about the game was pretty dumb and annoying, but in terms of a mindlessly fun experience, I think the game does well. I know for me I needed something mindless since things have been super hit and miss on my end (dealing with my dad's passing, what not). I dunno, it was just weirdly fun? :D;
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited April 2013
    Am I broken?

Yep. :D
    I don't get it... People love the hell out of the games that come from Platinum, Bayonetta... Vanquish... But the only one that I've legitimately enjoyed is Metal Gear Rising...all of the other ones I've found to be sub par at best.

Well, Bayonetta was widely seen as a better Devil May Cry game than 4, and Vanquish, while mostly a Gears of War clone, wasn't depressingly brown and gray the way 90% of shooters are nowadays.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.