If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The 2016 Completed Games List

Comments

• TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    Fairy Fencer F: Advent Darkness - PS4

Liked it a lot though thought it was rather short comparatively.
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Not a game, but it took the place of most of my gaming time this month and is enough of an accomplishment on its own, so...

NaNoWriMo (real life) - story finished at 40,883 words

It's a bit over 9000 words short of the effective goal of the exercise, but with fifteen minutes left for me until Dec. 1st, that's not gonna happen. And I managed to get it all the way to The End, regardless.
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    Tales from the Borderlands - Episode 1 - Zer0 Sum (PS4) -- So I never finished this on PC, but when it was a $2 bucks on PS4, I bit the bullet. I REALLY like this first episode. Now I just need to keep going!
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    Do it, Sam. This game is so good. Episode 4 is pure gold.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    Pokemon Sun - 3DS

I didn't roll credits but I did beat the elite 4 and became champion, then I beat the boss before the credits (which i didn't know you could refight) so I reset but I pretty much have beaten the main game.
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
    Final Fantasy XV (PS4, 34 hours) - I have a lot of feelings about this one, so I'll sort through those and work on the review.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    Tales from the Borderlands - Episode 2 - Atlas Mugged (PS4) -- There is a part of me that wants to savoir the episodes, the other half of me wants to just powerthrough and get to the end because I am loving the crap out of this series. I have laughed so much during it, bro.
    Tales from the Borderlands - Episode 3 - Catch a Ride (PS4) -- MUST KEEP GOING. NEED TO KNOW THE ENDING. AHHHHH.
    Tales from the Borderlands - Episode 4 - Escape Plan Bravo (PS4) -- My feelings hurt. Also if I didn't have to work today I'd be powering through the last episode just to see how this all ends. Really fantastic stuff here.
    Nyx wrote: »
    Tales from the Borderlands - Episode 4 - Escape Plan Bravo (PS4) -- My feelings hurt. Also if I didn't have to work today I'd be powering through the last episode just to see how this all ends. Really fantastic stuff here.

The shootout! So good!
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited December 2016
    Rolled the credits on Pokemon Moon (3DS), though I'll do postgame stuff for a while. I settled on a team of 6 before Po Town on the 3rd island and stuck with them for the rest of the game. I made a big error by switching out my least helpful party member for Lunala before taking on the Elite Four. It made most of my team weak to Dark attacks, and I swear almost every opposing Pokemon in the Elite Four had a Dark attack. On the other hand, the one I gave the boot would have matched types well throughout the gauntlet. Oh well.

I came around by the end and do think this is the best game in the series. Beyond shaking things up in little ways and removing some archaic mechanics, I had more fun with it than any other Pokemon I've played, particularly the last fourth which is usually a drag for me in the series.

And I'm still lost as to why Dragon Quest is too stubborn to do the same. It took Pokemon 20 years to drop HMs and give you more info during combat. It's still a Pokemon game. Dragon Quest can fix its interface, inventory system, save system, and the play-halting pop-up windows in combat and still be Dragon Quest damn it.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • severinmiraseverinmira Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    Steins;Gate 0 (Vita) completed and platinumed. Loved it.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
    Macstorm wrote: »
    Nyx wrote: »

The shootout! So good!

It was easily my favourite bit. I died of laughter with that one! And then in Episode 5 when Gortys tells Rhys that his finger guns can be real guns. <3

Speaking of which, Tales from the Borderlands - Episode 5 - Vault of the Traveler (PS4) is completed. I think Tales from the Borderlands might actually be up there with Walking Dead Season 1 for me as one of the best efforts made by Telltale. I felt a lot of feelings, there were many great laughs and everything always felt well-timed and executed with this. While I think episode 1 was likely the weakest, I think this collection of of episodes on a whole was really strong. I wish I had paid full price for this one when it originally released, but you can't go wrong for awesomeness at a @2 price tag.
  • ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 (PS4) - Platinum Trophy

A much improved sequel, though the game is still very rough around the edges. The painful monotony caused by the RNG was alleviated, but the overall difficulty of the game feels to have gone up. I once again used an Earthling, this time a male specializing in physical attacks. I had to also partially raise one of each race for one of the trophies; the longest race track was done by my roommate while I was at work, so kudos to him for the assist. I was happy to once again earn all of my online wins, though it was harder this time than last (I ran into some ideas last year when playing the first game). I would be interest in another entry, but I hope they will wait a bit longer so there is more new material to work with from Super, as well as delve deeper into the MMO/Heroes plot.
    ClixPsi.png
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited December 2016
    Enchanter (PC)
    Lost Pig (PC)

An Infocom classic, and a modern IF classic. Both games are good fun, but the number of times I have to look up walkthroughs is depressing. Even a ~10 room game like Lost Pig, clearly designed to be entry-level IF, had a puzzle I doubt I'd ever have been able to solve myself without resorting to brute force. Enchanter is much worse; at one point it straight-up tricks you into solving a puzzle the "wrong" way, locking the game in an unwinnable state. I guess this is just how adventure games rolled back in 1983, but it does make it hard to recommend them to people.
  • OmbresOmbres Games horder Full Members
    Earthbound (SNES)

Finally, I manage to break my curse and finish that game... but what a weird one, with a lot of unfair fight, lucky for us the hp don't go down as soon as you get the damage.
    But I am glad I did it.
    Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
    sig.gif
    edited December 2016
    My brother and I finished Grim Dawn (PC) on Normal for the first half of the game and Veteran for the second. We were planning to do the whole thing on Veteran but my brother can't read, apparently, and I noticed midway through.

I'm enjoying the game and will keep playing on higher difficulties if they don't get too crazy. My brother and are going to gear up separately this week, and if he's still interested in it (he almost never replays games on higher difficulties) we'll continue together. Otherwise, I'll test out my glass cannon dude on Elite alone. He's not as experienced as I am with these types of games, and the skill difference gets obvious when things get hard. It was an issue in Path of Exile and also in the final, optional zone in Grim Dawn. I'd like to continue playing with him but it sounds like Elite is going to be too big of a step up in challenge for what he enjoys.
    edited December 2016
    Batman: The Telltale Series (PS4, 8 hours) - I really dug this all the way through. Not even a real Batman fan, but I loved this one.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • The DoomhammerThe Doomhammer Prod with the Prod Full Members
    Mass Effect (PC): Felt like replaying the series again for whatever reason.

Never did the Liara romance before. It sure is, uh, something.
    Batman: The Telltale Series - Episode 5: City of Light (PS4) -- Really loved this.
  • SuccessorMSuccessorM Can't you hear the drums? Full Members
    edited December 2016
    Pokemon Sun (3DS) - Good game and I greatly enjoyed my time with it. Very interesting story and Trial Totems are great.

Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 (PS4) - Not a bad game, but I hesitate to call it a good one. I don't understand why loading screens are so much longer in this generation especially in this one. Basically the game is poorly optimized, but significantly less buggy then its predecessor. Missed opportunists abound, but it was pretty fun.

The Simpsons (Arcade) - This game is not nearly as good as I thought it was growing up. Huge quarter-muncher too. Though that was disappointing, it was great to see the older, more cartoony designs of the characters.
  • lolwhoopslolwhoops happy accident HalifaxRPGamer Staff
    Yo-Kai Watch 2: Bony Spirits (3DS) - still lots to do. Review is coming soon.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    this is my twitter! come twit with me
    Mercenaries Saga 2 (3DS, 12 hours) - Loved this one. Now to start up MS3.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    edited December 2016
    Batman - The Telltale Series (PC) - I liked what they did with the familiar Batman characters a lot, and a well-written Catwoman is going to steal every scene for me. The gameplay formula works and I love these games, but this one's storytelling was weak after episode 3. Episode 3 was so dense on story progress and ended with such a huge scene, 4 and 5 felt like a drawn out single episode with no momentum. I played all 5 in a day and a half, so the last 2/5 of the game was flat. Considering part of the flatness was time wasted on unrelated story threads for a sequel, I hope they actually make one.
    MeiQ - Labyrinth of Death - Mixed feels. Will be reviewed soon.
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
  • ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    lolwhoops wrote: »
    MeiQ - Labyrinth of Death - Mixed feels. Will be reviewed soon.

Console?
    ClixPsi.png
    oh right. Vita.
  • severinmiraseverinmira Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    Whee, Ys: Memories of Celceta (Vita) complete :) Not sure why I stopped playing 30 months ago but blitzed through the last 40% in two days and it was great.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited December 2016
    Infidel (PC)

This one is much easier than the other Infocom games I've played; I beat it in less than 6 hours without a guide. The game world is disappointingly static, and it could certainly have done with being a bit more challenging and less linear, but I really enjoyed the overarching hieroglyph puzzle and how it tied all the other puzzles together. I'd say it's also a lot more thematically coherent than its contemporaries (Starcross, Enchanter), even if the world itself is less interesting. It would make a good entry-level game for those who aren't familiar with text adventures.
    edited December 2016
    The Walking Dead Season 3: Episode 1 - Ties That Bind Part 1 (PS4) -- AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.