If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Dragon Quest XI Comes to Jump Festa

Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/ReviewerRPGamer Staff
Square Enix made a significant appearance at Jump Festa, bringing news and videos for Dragon Quest XI. The game is confirmed to be hitting the unusual launch combination of 3DS and PS4 in Japan in 2017.

[ Story ]
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)

Comments

• A battle would have been nice to see, I didnt wait a year just to see more walking.

• VeghEstherVeghEsther Full Members
    edited December 2016
    Same here but I'm still hoping at least the 3DS version still gets localized.

I'm also hoping job classes are like DQ 6 and 7 total battles fought and not via DQ8/DQ9's spend SP system where you can't even use sword still with other weapon types equipped I prefer having my skills in a DQ game not limited to weapon types.

• MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    Give me DQIV/VIII style characters with no job classes please.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Did you ever try WonderSlime's Dragon Warrior: Begin a New Quest? It's a darn good retro DQ experience.
  • Lord GolbezLord Golbez Member Full Members
    They're using the two screens of the DS so they can concurrently show an 8-bit version of the game? Ok, sure why not? Well, except that the effort spent on making an 8 bit version of everything, probably could have been put into something more worthwhile.
    The Tea and Biscuits Brigade offers you tea and biscuits.
    The 3DS version will either be playable in 3DS mode or in 2D style similar to the SNES version of those games but I prefer playing my RPG's in 2D graphical style mode over 3D.
    It looks like you can play it in both at once from the trailer. Unless they just decided to show it that way for some strange reason.
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    I thought it was a neat, unique idea.

No clue if the game will be like that or not, but I don't think of JRPGs doing much useful with the two screens outside of battle anyway. At worst the bottom screen is a map, and this is hardly different, and at best it's a menu system that's minimally more convenient to use than the face buttons.

If it's just for the trailer, I wouldn't find it strange. They want to show the two styles side by side on a system with side by side screens.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    I for one, will be getting both versions of the game for sure, assuming they both come, though I think I'd play the 3DS version first. I'm not fully convinced we will get the 3DS version though, it seems to me that the PS4 one is the one they intend for the west, and the 3DS version is more meant for the Japanese audience.

And then there is the rumored(?) Switch version we know nothing about. I'm assuming that one will be the same as the PS4 version, in which I'll get that one instead of the PS4, but who knows. I could also see that one being one screen of the 3DS version as well, depending on whether the Switch can run the PS4 port or not.

Either way, this was exciting, but I'm hoping for more substantial news before I ramp up the hype train.
    edited December 2016
    Well, I think I'd prefer a map over the confusion of two versions of a game. To be fair though, I guess it would allow people to switch focus on version as a preference and the 8 bit version might work suitably as a map in some respects, except not seeing too far ahead. As far as a trailer goes, I guess it's a decent way to show both versions, but also kind of misleading (if it doesn't use the screens in that way) because it does create the impression that the two screens are used in that way. Like they could have just split screened both versions without showing them on the two screens of the DS if they just wanted side by side comparison.

As for me, I think I'll go with the PS4 version. I prefer the full sized character models and generally prefer to play on the TV, although I do like the option of using portable system. . I also imagine because of capacity issues that it will be a fuller version in some respects other than graphics. Probably music quality. Maybe amount of voice acting or cinematic sequences. That might make it sound like a Switch version would be best for me, but I'm not getting a Switch until/unless I see concrete evidence of its success. I believe it will be a failure due to having both 3DS/3DS successor and it as portable options at the same time, with the Switch more likely being the more expensive version (also if the price is raised because of those stupid controller gimmicks, I'd flip a lid, only an Moo would use it like that on an airplane like on the commercial and most of the time when you have the space to set the thing down and take out controllers, you could just use the tv).
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    It's so pretty! And Camus and Green Dress Warrior Lady seem like my kind of people.
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    I thought that was the the DQVI hero for a minute but then I remembered that this just how Team Toriyama roles.
  • smacd wrote: »
    I for one, will be getting both versions of the game for sure, assuming they both come, though I think I'd play the 3DS version first. I'm not fully convinced we will get the 3DS version though, it seems to me that the PS4 one is the one they intend for the west, and the 3DS version is more meant for the Japanese audience.

And then there is the rumored(?) Switch version we know nothing about. I'm assuming that one will be the same as the PS4 version, in which I'll get that one instead of the PS4, but who knows. I could also see that one being one screen of the 3DS version as well, depending on whether the Switch can run the PS4 port or not.

Either way, this was exciting, but I'm hoping for more substantial news before I ramp up the hype train.

I doubt they would limit the 3DS version to Japan considering the fact that the 3DS is very successful and has lots of JRPG fans
    I doubt they would limit the 3DS version to Japan considering the fact that the 3DS is very successful and has lots of JRPG fans

Square-Enix isn't exactly known for rational decision making in the last decade or so. The DQ series is known for trying to be on the "most popular system of the time" according to some interviews I remember regarding why DQ9 was on the DS. While the 3DS is popular, it seems to me that the PS4 is more popular in the West than it is in Japan, where I hear console gaming is mostly on the outs. Given the evidence at hand, the only reason I can come up with for a PS4 version at all is that its really meant for the western audiences. And given the fact that multiplatform games, including some DQ titles, have only been getting console, not handheld, localizations despite a handheld version existing. Granted, they're Vita, not 3DS, but regardless.

However, on the other hand, Square-Enix hasn't been particularly behind DQ localizations in the last few years, as many of them have had to be localized by Nintendo rather than SE themselves. Given that, I think that there is a chance that SE could try to use them to localize their game again, guaranteeing the 3DS version, but I'd imagine that that would have the stipulation that the localization couldn't be used in the PS4 version, so I can't see Square-Enix trying to get the localization done on Nintendo's dime this time around. So who knows. I doubt Square-Enix has enough faith in Dragon Quest still to think that localizing both versions will be a good decision for them, financially, though.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    I was going to comment that all the DQ's that we've gotten since 5 (so 6 and 7) have all been released by Nintendo doing all the legwork and had very little to do with SE. But smacd beat me to it
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
    Why does Nintendo care so much about DQ? Historically, they've been not such strong patrons of RPGs, to the point that N64 had almost none when people jumped ship over to Sony, and even though DS has loads of RPGs, that's not necessarily too much from Nintendo itself. It's fascinating to me that Nintendo is localizing what SE won't bother to localize.
    Opinion: Because there is a decent demand for RPG's and people are so fed up with a lot of the high profile RPG's in the last few years that Nintendo has been the one localizing many of the portable ones that have been made.
    sig.gif

and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

So one good argument against my point might be that the Nintendo localization is present in the iOS/Android port of the games. But that might have happened long after the end of exclusivity where Nintendo may have thought they would get their money out of it.
    I was going to comment that all the DQ's that we've gotten since 5 (so 6 and 7) have all been released by Nintendo doing all the legwork and had very little to do with SE. But smacd beat me to it

They also did DQ9, and possibly a few others I'm spacing on. I can't recall if they did DQ5 or not.
    Why does Nintendo care so much about DQ? Historically, they've been not such strong patrons of RPGs, to the point that N64 had almost none when people jumped ship over to Sony, and even though DS has loads of RPGs, that's not necessarily too much from Nintendo itself. It's fascinating to me that Nintendo is localizing what SE won't bother to localize.

I think that Nintendo knows that the DS/3DS has been very popular for JRPGs and they have a decent sized fanbase that has those handhelds. I wouldn't be surprised if they did those with high profile games like DQ, even if they expect them to not sell like FF, they will put the marketing into it and do fairly well in many cases. And I think that they have the ability to fund some things at a loss in order to garner good will with their fanbase, and potentially sell some hardware.
  • lolwhoopslolwhoops happy accident HalifaxRPGamer Staff
    don't forget that if Nintendo gets a few DQ lovers to buy the 3DS there's a good chance they'll be picking up Nintendo games to go along with it at some point.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    this is my twitter! come twit with me
    I doubt they take a loss in localizing. I mean, surely the production costs are significantly higher than localization. It might not sell as well overseas as in Japan, but I would think it would be enough to offset localizing and marketing.
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    Looks like the switch is getting it. I would bet anything we will get both versions.
    Though unlikely I'd still like DQ11 to not only have human job classes that still play like DQ6 and 7 (total battles fought not SP gain) but still use most of not all the monster classes that DQ7 has for DQ 11 (just decrease the amount of battles) it takes to master them.
    edited December 2016
    Yeah DQ IV and DQV were done more so by SE, however with how poorly they sold (by their standards) they decided to only do those two. That is why there was such a huge delay between those two and VI. Since Nintendo did IX and it sold pretty well Nintendo decided to release VI as well.

A lot of what happend with the success of IX was that Nintendo Advertised it pretty heavily, which probably led to it's local success. In Japan I don't know how much SE puts into actual advertising for a DQ game but it's not the same in the US. Certain series names don't carry as much weight here as they do in Japan, DQ being one of them.
    sig.gif

I'm sure they do substantial advertising for DQ in Japan. I mean, think about it. We know Star Wars does well in the US, but that's all the more reason for them to advertise it like crazy to make sure people don't forget
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited December 2016
    If the 3DS game comes out here I will play the hell out of it... 5-8 years after release.
    So will I just not that late since if it does have DLC dungeons similar to DQ7's it won't take 5 to 8 years to actually download all of them.
    What's the point of DLC dungeons? Do they add story? Otherwise, kind of boring. The game has more than enough dungeons for the gameplay aspect. There would have to be more story for the DLC to be worth it to me.
  • MatejaMateja Full Members
    the point of DLC is 'this game isn't done yet. but we want to release something to our fan base so we're not trolled out of business for taking too long to develop a masterpiece'
    That doesn't seem to apply equally well to games that are so old they were originally released before the advent of DLC.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Mateja wrote: »
    the point of DLC is 'this game isn't done yet. but we want to release something to our fan base so we're not trolled out of business for taking too long to develop a masterpiece'

The intent, like how it originally came about primarily in first person shoots was to add actual new additional content to a game. For most multiplayer games it is still that. Single player games are the only place where it has fallen into the trap of "shouldn't this have just been in the game?". It's a bit unfortunate. If I'm being perfectly honest I don't think it has much of a place in story based RPGs beyond new costumes and other silly stuff for the most part.
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif