If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Ys VIII to Receive Localization Update

severinmiraseverinmira Managing EditorRPGamer Staff
NIS America has been listening to feedback regarding Ys VIII's localization. The publisher is working on providing an updated version.

[ Story ]
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)

Comments

• ArticianArtician Onion Kid Full Members
    I only just picked the game up this weekend and haven't played too far yet. Was there something particularly bad about this translation? I haven't seen anything too grating. Nothing on par with, say, the PS3-era Atelier series, which was stunningly poor.
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    It's a slew of little things that add up to a quantity of problems; enough that it became a tipping point to a lot of people. It's indicative of what happens when you run out of time for a final editor/QAer to go over the script in full, play through the game, and look for oddities, awkward phrasings, and inconsistencies. That's no excuse or justification, and not being a NISA employee I couldn't say if this was definitively the case -- just some insight from someone who was in the same situation a decade or so ago.
  • ArtyPartyArtyParty IllinoisFull Members
    Glad they're taking responsibility, definitely a rarity among RPG localization teams. I'll probably get to Ys VIII sometime after the polished translation is released.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited October 13
    ArtyParty wrote: »
    Glad they're taking responsibility, definitely a rarity among RPG localization teams. I'll probably get to Ys VIII sometime after the polished translation is released.

Probably because a localization with this many issues isn't all that common these days
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    I wonder who would've made the call to drop the first release in September - Falcom or NISA?
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
  • TheMooseTheMoose Member Full Members
    edited October 12
    I played "Ys 8 - Lacrimosa of Dana" for the last month with no problems with localization at all.

While its long compared to other Ys games, its also one of the best ones yet.

Let's hope more Ys titles will be produced in the future, including remakes of Ys titles which were never released in North America or Europe for the Playstation series such as "Ys 5 - Lost Kefin, Kingdom of Sand".

Also hope that Falcom makes more Ys titles where the setting is in Northern Eresia (such as Britai), Romun Empire, Southern Afroca, Orient, or in a North American like continent to the west or Eresia.
  • PowerlordPowerlord Spy, gentlemen! Full Members
    edited October 12
    TheMoose wrote: »
    I played "Ys 8 - Lacrimosa of Dana" for the last month with no problems with localization at all.

While its long compared to other Ys games, its also one of the best ones yet.

Let's hope more Ys titles will be produced in the future, including remakes of Ys titles which were never released in North America or Europe for the Playstation series such as "Ys 5 - Lost Kefin, Kingdom of Sand".

Also hope that Falcom makes more Ys titles where the setting is in Northern Eresia (such as Britai), Romun Empire, Southern Afroca, Orient, or in a North American like continent to the west or Eresia.

Ys 5 is really the only Ys game we haven't seen in North America. Granted, the other Ys games may not be on a platform you have.

To my knowledge, Steam/PC is oddly the platform with the most Ys games on it right now: Ys Origins, 1+2, 3's remake (Oath in Felghana), 6, 7, and (soon) 8. It's only missing Ys 4's remake (Memories of Celcetta which is still Vita only) and the remake of 5 that never hit North America/Europe.
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    Paws wrote: »
    It's a slew of little things that add up to a quantity of problems; enough that it became a tipping point to a lot of people. It's indicative of what happens when you run out of time for a final editor/QAer to go over the script in full, play through the game, and look for oddities, awkward phrasings, and inconsistencies. That's no excuse or justification, and not being a NISA employee I couldn't say if this was definitively the case -- just some insight from someone who was in the same situation a decade or so ago.
    Yes. It looks like that's the part they skipped out on. I thought it was passable. JuMeSyn's review for RPGamer mentioned it and he seemed to think it was a poorly written original script, and the other review didn't mention the script at all. Anyway, the highlight of the game is the gameplay. If you are playing Ys games for the story, you're doing it wrong. I definitely understood everything just fine.
  • MinneyarMinneyar Member Full Members
    Everything about the game other than the translation is great, so if you're not particularly discerning about that sort of thing, it's easy to gloss over.

As for the translation, though, it's incredibly literal; it reads like a native Japanese speaker did the translation and it never received any editing to fix awkward terms and phrases. There are a handful of item descriptions that are flat out wrong, and some instances of things that were in English in the Japanese version of the game that were inexplicably made simpler ("Crevice of the Archeozoic Era" -> "Archeozoic Big Hole", etc.). It's not worse than any B-tier SNES or PS1 translation that long-time RPG fans are used to, but Falcom fans are used to getting significantly better work.

More examples: https://imgur.com/a/g6f8y
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    In no way am I trying to say the people who find it unacceptable are wrong, I just personally don't think it's that big of an issue. I played through and almost platinumed it, had a great time. Hope it doesn't dissuade anyone not to play it.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited October 13
    Budai wrote: »
    In no way am I trying to say the people who find it unacceptable are wrong, I just personally don't think it's that big of an issue. I played through and almost platinumed it, had a great time. Hope it doesn't dissuade anyone not to play it.

I mean if this were say Legend of Heroes I'd be waving torch and pitchfork too, but this is Ys, the action is the main attraction and everything else is a big hole of window dressing.
    Powerlord wrote: »
    TheMoose wrote: »
    Ys 5 is really the only Ys game we haven't seen in North America. Granted, the other Ys games may not be on a platform you have.

I feel like Ys V will get the full remake treatment from Falcom next because pretty much every version of that game is bad.
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif