If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Review - Xenoblade Chronicles 2

severinmiraseverinmira Managing EditorRPGamer Staff
edited November 30 in Latest Updates
2017 has been a standout year with many Game of the Year candidates. Monolith Soft and Nintendo's big December release makes a strong case to be placed right at the top of the pile.

[ Review ]
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)

Comments

• MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    Amazon, don't fail me now.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • gdawgtukgdawgtuk Member Full Members
    My body is ready...
  • RalsuRalsu Member Full Members
    One save slot per user is a little of a letdown. I guess that is a clear message that it's best experienced a single time.
  • Khisanth MagusKhisanth Magus Member Full Members
    Ralsu wrote: »
    One save slot per user is a little of a letdown. I guess that is a clear message that it's best experienced a single time.

Eh, while its kind of weird, it isn't too much of a problem to me. There isn't really any benefit to keeping the previous save around when I decide to rerun a JRPG except for games with branching storylines.
  • ArtyPartyArtyParty IllinoisFull Members
    How is the writing in battle? It seems JRPGs seem to be worst in that regard. Pretty much one of few RPGs that did battle dialogue right IMO was FFX.
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    I just got my switch this week, so this is a very abundant of riches at the moment. 2017 one for the ages.
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    5/5 review? OK, I'm sold.

The collector's edition appears to be only from Best Buy and costs $100. The standard edition is $48 from Amazon if one has an Amazon Prime membership, which gives a 20% discount on new games.

The collector's edition has a steel case (that's cool, I guess), a "sound selection" CD (no full soundtrack? cheap), and a 200+ page color artbook that looks really good, but not good enough to justify spending an extra $52 on. And I have no intention of paying $30 to join Best Buy's "Gamer's Club" program for 2 years and a 20% discount; I don't buy games from Best Buy often enough to justify it.

Standard edition from Amazon it is, then.

Apparently there will be quite a bit of story-based DLC in the future, but I'll decide whether to buy the DLC after I finish the game.
  • josho2113josho2113 Full Members
    I am bummed no skells baha. Loved those and loved flying!
  • NefarioCallNefarioCall Member Full Members
    Breath of the Wild has a 97 Metascore. This game has better music, art direction, story and combat than the former. 4 critical areas where it wins any head to head battle. Now, i get that BotW is a truly awesome game, but either it is over rated at 97, or this is under rated at 83. Maybe both are a little of both. In any case, glad to see some critics know this is at least a 9 going in, or in your case, a 10. :)
    I experience plentiful dissonance regarding game review and games I actually like. There are games that have gotten wonderful reviews I didn't think were very good, and games that have gotten bad or average reviews I didn't think were bad at all.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Breath of the Wild has a 97 Metascore. This game has better music, art direction, story and combat than the former. 4 critical areas where it wins any head to head battle. Now, i get that BotW is a truly awesome game, but either it is over rated at 97, or this is under rated at 83. Maybe both are a little of both. In any case, glad to see some critics know this is at least a 9 going in, or in your case, a 10. :)

Breath of the Wild is by far NOT overrated. It is certainly the best game I've ever reviewed.

It's also a VERY different game than Xenoblade Chronicles 2 some I'm not sure why you would ever try to directly compare them?

Anyway, I remember a good range of opinions for the past two Xenoblade games so not surprised to see that again. I'm confident I'll like it as much as Alex did though.
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • severinmiraseverinmira Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited December 1
    Simply put Zelda has more widespread appeal in various factors (including the art style, story aspects/heaviness, etc.), Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is still very much in the RPG niche that has many differing viewpoints.
    ArtyParty wrote: »
    How is the writing in battle? It seems JRPGs seem to be worst in that regard. Pretty much one of few RPGs that did battle dialogue right IMO was FFX.

Not something I really concentrated on, I was too busy battling, but all the comments added to it for me (I also don't recall noteworthy about FFX's battle quotes tbh so can't really compare). As I mentioned the main issue with that was more that you could sometimes get too much of it to properly hear specifics.

edit - and as I have just been reminded (and actually wrote) you can easily mute them in the sound options if wanted
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
  • IzzytehpwnrIzzytehpwnr HellFull Members
    Looks like i found my new main source for RPG reviews. fantastic review. this game is absolutely blowing me away.
    Looks like i found my new main source for RPG reviews. fantastic review. this game is absolutely blowing me away.

Welcome! Be sure to check out our podcasts and other features.
    sig.gif
    I always get skeptical whenever reviewers write posh pieces or, in the case of games of polarizing quality, bash pieces. I liked games such as Persona 5, don't get me wrong, I just didn't think it was the masterpiece reviewers made it out to be.
  • NefarioCallNefarioCall Member Full Members
    edited December 2
    Wheels wrote: »
    Breath of the Wild is by far NOT overrated. It is certainly the best game I've ever reviewed.

It's also a VERY different game than Xenoblade Chronicles 2 some I'm not sure why you would ever try to directly compare them?

Anyway, I remember a good range of opinions for the past two Xenoblade games so not surprised to see that again. I'm confident I'll like it as much as Alex did though.

If someone told me Xenogears was over rated i'd probably get a bit upset, so i have to claim responsibility for that one.... except that i really do think Breath of the Wild is only about at best the 100th best game of all time maybe ... oops, i've done it again, shouldn't have said that, no really, this can't be good for anyone, lol.

But seriously, all of you reviewers here are amazing and i've loved your reviews since the days when you scored things out of 10. As with the reviewer, i am fully enjoying this game... maybe ... better than the 100th best of all time .... XD ok, i really gotta stop with that. But it is awesome. Couple things irking me with it like i wish there was a more fleshed out interactive map system. I really loved that about XCX. But nothing huge. Hopefully they iron out the kinks with patches.
  • oldmanbaloldmanbal Full Members
    Victar wrote: »
    5/5 review? OK, I'm sold.

The collector's edition appears to be only from Best Buy and costs $100. The standard edition is $48 from Amazon if one has an Amazon Prime membership, which gives a 20% discount on new games.

The collector's edition has a steel case (that's cool, I guess), a "sound selection" CD (no full soundtrack? cheap), and a 200+ page color artbook that looks really good, but not good enough to justify spending an extra $52 on. And I have no intention of paying $30 to join Best Buy's "Gamer's Club" program for 2 years and a 20% discount; I don't buy games from Best Buy often enough to justify it.

Standard edition from Amazon it is, then.

Apparently there will be quite a bit of story-based DLC in the future, but I'll decide whether to buy the DLC after I finish the game.

Toys R us has been having buy one get one 40% off. Got my son Zelda and Xenoblade 2 (which i'll probably play the most) to go with his switch for Xmas under 100$. The breath of the wild was the collectors edition too with the maps and such. Not bad for 100.
  • bmesickbmesick New Member Full Members
    The characters in the cutscenes are very expressive and have a lot of personality. This combined with the charming and high quality voice acting (with a lot of Scottish) make for a very entertaining experience. The environments are more beautiful and detailed than I thought they would be. The atmosphere is thick. I am really just blown away by this game. It's got fun gameplay and it's a joy to explore.
    Nia is by far my favorite character thus far.
    sig.gif
    bmesick wrote: »
    The characters in the cutscenes are very expressive and have a lot of personality. This combined with the charming and high quality voice acting (with a lot of Scottish) make for a very entertaining experience. The environments are more beautiful and detailed than I thought they would be. The atmosphere is thick. I am really just blown away by this game. It's got fun gameplay and it's a joy to explore.

Which I find curious, because I have seen some complaints about voice acting. Unless they get bad later in the game, I have not seen any issues. I think they are very nice.
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    Voice acting has been great so far. I love Nia and Pyra for that specifically. If people want to complain about the Nopon, I get that, but even they aren't as bad as I'd feared after XBX.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    Gramps for the win
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited December 6
    So, I actually have a couple of technical questions that maybe someone in here knows about the game, since I can't seem to find them online, and past searches for information did lead me to minor spoilers.

The first issue I'm encountering is that the buttons ZL and A overlap with different functions in battle, and I'm wondering if there is a way to execute the action you're looking for without accidentally getting the other. For instance, if I need to revive a team mate, sometimes I'll run over to their body and press A, only to get the Blade Art Special instead, which costs precious animation time and is almost never the combo I want to execute. Similarly, there are times when the character on ZL will want to execute a Blade combo of their element, but I'd much rather switch to one of my blades and do the other branch instead. This is the one that I find the most frustrating, as I can't really figure out a good way to switch without also triggering the CPU.

The second issue might just be a bug, I'm not sure. Basically, when pressing + to do Chain Attacks, it used to have a little icon next to the equipped Blades letting you know which element they are so you can choose accordingly. One time they just completely vanished, and ever since I can't see them anymore. Its not a big deal as I can just remember which is which, but it'd be nice to fix the issue if I can.
  • severinmiraseverinmira Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    Can't say I recall running into that first issue (perhaps because I rarely held onto the specials when available), I guess just making sure to read the prompt to ensure it says revive is the only way. You can switch Blades by pressing up, right, or down on the direction buttons below the left analog (the icon border for them will light up if they can be used to go down on of the combo paths at that moment). I didn't think ZL was needed for swapping Blades?

Seems like the other issue would be a bug if its sitll happening, I checked and have the icons next to the Blade names on my Chain Attacks.
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited December 6
    Thanks Sev, I noticed after reading your post that there is actually a little bit of text in white that says "Help Up" that I didnt realize was there before since its the same white tone that downed allies have on them. And I legitimately thought you had to hold ZL + Direction to change haha, so that helps a ton. Guess I mistakenly assumed at some point that since you use ZL for swapping outside of battle that it must also follow to use it in battle too.
    I would have reworked this map/quest icon System. I’m a little puzzled how a company this big with such great games under their belt wouldn’t get something so simple.
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    Yeah, the only thing I don't like about the game so far is the UI, and the map/quest system is the worst offender. The battle taunts can be grating and I might mute them situationally.

I'm digging the setting, characters, and lore, though the dialogue can be a bit cliche JRPG protagonist for me.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
    edited December 12
    I was enjoying the game fairly well, but it was when I got to Uraya’s stomache area that I truly fell in love. Wow, one the most magical areas I’ve ever witnessed in a game.