If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The 2017 Completed Game List

Comments

• Joshua CarpenterJoshua Carpenter RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Late Shift (PC) - I had a Sega CD and a CD drive on a PC early on (remember when just having a CD drive cost hundreds of dollars and was a big deal) so I played my fair share of FMV games back in the day. In fact, some of my favorites from that era were the half FMV-half something else games (Wing Commander, 7th Guest) so a newish FMV game that looked like it had decent production values? Why not. And Late Shift actually delivered. This is a playable movie; it takes about an hour to "watch" depending on the choices you make. Each time you have a choice to make, the options appear on the bottom of the screen along with a timer (I never let the timer expire to see what happens) and the decisions played out seamlessly for me. Oh right, the story; you play as a night attendant at a parking garage who gets roped into an art heist and your decisions become whether to go along with it or take a risk to attempt to blow the heist up. I don't want to oversell it; but, it was a fun romp in an action flick sense so long as you are willing to forgive a leap of logic or two. For a bunch of people I didn't recognize, the acting was pretty good, and the filming quality itself was spot on with TV or low budget movie quality. It probably would have been more fun to play it on a big TV with a bunch of people watching, but I'm still planning on playing it again to see if I can make different choices and get a better ending. I think I preferred this to a Telltale game where all I really care about is making the story choices and seeing it play out, so this had that without the fluff of having to interact with the environment.

All in all, a pretty good... movie... game? Whatever you call it, I liked it and hope there are more.
  • Alex FullerAlex Fuller Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    Battle Chef Brigade (Switch), it's an odd mix of Iron Chef + action combat + match-three but it works rather well.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    Pyre (PS4, 9 hours) - Loved this game way more than I expected. I want more Pyre gameplay action, because Bertrude is awesome! Ti'Zo is adorable.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • Winter9Winter9 NorwayFull Members
    edited December 2017
    Chain of Memories (PS4 collection, 49 hours) Total hours: 457 13 games completed Oh and also it says PSP in my update, but I played them on Vita: they are the PSP versions only. Not sure how to write it.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited December 2017
    FFXV: Episode Ignis (PS4)

Technically a DLC, but a really good one at that. Gave me lots of feelings, mostly sadness for the events that occur and a bit of happiness from an alternate ending (yes, this DLC has one), and the addition of said alternate ending is really nice on SE's part. I kinda wish it was the canon one, after what goes on.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • ClixClix Listmaster Full Members

Technically a DLC, but a really good one at that. Gave me lots of feels, and the addition of an alternate ending is really nice on SE's part. I kinda wish it was the canon one, after what goes on.

New rule, please don't the word "feels" in this thread. It's a personal pet-peeve of mine. First off, the word is "feelings," and there are numerous types of feelings, each with their own distinct word and connotation. Please try to us some of them to adequately describe your emotional reactions and thoughts.
    Winter9 wrote: »
    Chain of Memories (PS4 collection, 49 hours) Total hours: 457 13 games completed Oh and also it says PSP in my update, but I played them on Vita: they are the PSP versions only. Not sure how to write it.

I use the original systems when it is being emulated by a successor hardware. For example, I did not boot up a GameCube to play The Wind Waker this year. I used a Wii. While Vita is only compatible with digital PSP titles due to lack of a UMB drive, it is still emulating the PSP's engine to run PSP games. Ergo, it is still the original game.
    ClixPsi.png
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    Clix wrote: »

Technically a DLC, but a really good one at that. Gave me lots of feels, and the addition of an alternate ending is really nice on SE's part. I kinda wish it was the canon one, after what goes on.

New rule, please don't the word "feels" in this thread. It's a personal pet-peeve of mine. First off, the word is "feelings," and there are numerous types of feelings, each with their own distinct word and connotation. Please try to us some of them to adequately describe your emotional reactions and thoughts.
    Edited with just that, and I'll keep that in mind for the future.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited December 2017
    Super Mario Odyssey (Switch) - Typically with Mario games such as Galaxy I refrain from considering them complete until getting all of the Stars, rather than merely finishing the story. In this case however the number of Moons are gargantuan, and I have no idea when I'm ever going to get around to tackling them. So I'll have to settle with Story completion for now.

Anyways, Mario Odyssey is quite the fun and pleasant game. Mario's movement options and the Kingdom design are probably my two highlights. Other than saying its a great Nintendo title for the Switch that helps complement a year of amazing games, I'm not sure what else to say.
    Final Fantasy XV: Episode Ignis (PS4, 2 hours) - I really enjoyed playing as Ignis, and this DLC opened up some new story ideas that makes me wish for a complete version of FFXV with all of these new additions blended in naturally. Not sure if this DLC actually could without major spoilers, but the overall picture is much clearer now. Very good stuff content. Can't wait to get around to eventually playing the main game again with character swapping, but that's not going to happen anytime soon.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    Macstorm wrote: »
    Final Fantasy XV: Episode Ignis (PS4, 2 hours) - I really enjoyed playing as Ignis, and this DLC opened up some new story ideas that makes me wish for a complete version of FFXV with all of these new additions blended in naturally. Not sure if this DLC actually could without major spoilers, but the overall picture is much clearer now. Very good stuff content. Can't wait to get around to eventually playing the main game again with character swapping, but that's not going to happen anytime soon.

I'd say wait until late 2018 or 2019, once all of the DLC has rolled out. Who knows, maybe the final patch will include a feature that lets you meld the DLC into the main game? It's hard to ever predict just what will happen with FFXV, since few single-player games get this much post-release attention. I was personally planning on replaying it myself in 2019; I held off on getting the DLC so that I could replay it all together. I inevitably replay all of the offline numbers except for those in my eternal hate tier.
    ClixPsi.png
    Macstorm wrote: »

I'd say wait until late 2018 or 2019, once all of the DLC has rolled out. Who knows, maybe the final patch will include a feature that lets you meld the DLC into the main game? It's hard to ever predict just what will happen with FFXV, since few single-player games get this much post-release attention. I was personally planning on replaying it myself in 2019; I held off on getting the DLC so that I could replay it all together. I inevitably replay all of the offline numbers except for those in my eternal hate tier.

That's about when I plan to do it. I'm in no big rush. If Pocket Edition gets all the upgrades and new content, then I might do it earlier. Still no rush.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony (PSVita) -- Really enjoyed this, though I will admit, I was super annoyed with myself that my first guess on the mastermind was the correct one. I did find at times this game was a bit too obvious as to who was going to die and who the killer was, which did frustrate me. However, I really did think the story was pretty fabulous all around, although Psyche Taxi is still one of the most annoying and pointless gimmicks to the trials and I still hate it.
  • TheDoomhammerTheDoomhammer Prod with the Prod Full Members
    edited December 2017
    Grim Dawn: Ashes of Malmouth [PC] Going back to my original character for the expansion was rough, my build was pretty nonsensical. Thankfully there's a bunch of new re-spec options.
  • redwing42redwing42 Just Monika Full Members
    Doki Doki Literature Club (PC) Well, that went places. I'm not much of a Visual Novel guy, but I appreciated this. If you haven't played it, don't look anything up and dive in. It is free, though I'm certainly going to by the DLC Fan Pack to support them. Definitely heed the warnings, though.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    For you red you should check out

3e

these two following links
    Spoiler:

sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • redwing42redwing42 Just Monika Full Members
    For you red you should check out

Thanks. I started looking in to some of that, but I don't have the patience for all the arg stuff. Hadn't thought to check MatPat yet.
    I have little interest into the game so ended up watching them
    sig.gif

and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

• gaijinmonogatarigaijinmonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Blazer Drive (DS), a game tie-in to a manga series that never really got off the ground. Pretty good card-based combat setup, though.
  • LassicLassic Member Full Members
    Phantasy Star (Sega Master System)
    Lassic wrote: »

I'm surprised that you keep dusting off the old SMS. Honestly, I don't think that I've ever even seen one in person.
    ClixPsi.png

I'm surprised that you keep dusting off the old SMS. Honestly, I don't think that I've ever even seen one in person.

I bought from Gamestop years ago when they still sold everything under the sun for video games before they went to only current and one system back
    sig.gif

• Alex FullerAlex Fuller Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    Boot Hill Bounties (PC) is done (around 18 hours). Should have a review up within the week but certainly enjoyed it, though there were a couple of annoyances.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)

It's my original one from 1991. The controllers fell apart years ago but fortunately the Mega Drive controllers are compatible.

I always try to get at least one Phantasy Star game on my list each year ;)

Undertale (PC)

The flower got reaped.
  • OmbresOmbres Games horder Full Members
    Rune Factory 3(DS)

well I think it will be my last game that I finish this year!

Yeah I got one too, I did buy it because there was Phantasy Star with it, I buy mine around 1994

Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
    sig.gif
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (Switch). Wrapped this one up just in the nick of time. Almost 120 hours on the clock, sheesh.
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    Realized while replying to the GOTY 2017 thread that I forgot to put South Park: The Fractured but Whole (PS4) here.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    Tales of Berseria (PS4) - I too forgot to report a game this year. Similar to Mario Odyssey I had planned to make a post after doing the EX Dungeon or whatever it is but never got around to it.
    edited December 2017
    Pokemon Ultra Moon (3DS) - 52 hours

I wrote most of my thoughts on it in the GOTY thread. In short, it was last year's game, but more underwhelming due to how few net improvements were made. For some reason, GameFreak misinterpreted everyone's love of Lusamine to mean that she should be a "good guy" instead. Story made a lot less sense because of these motivational changes. I used two teams this time:

Decidueye, Komala, Kommo-o, Comfey, Toxapex, and Vikavolt

Primarina, Drampa, Crabominable, Salazzle, Dusk-Lycanroc, and Dhelmise
    ClixPsi.png
  • TheDoomhammerTheDoomhammer Prod with the Prod Full Members
    edited January 1
    Tokyo Xanadu Ex+ (PC) Made it just in time for the end of the year... Somehow, despite the game being very reluctant to end, like Cold Steel II but more so. Quite a lot of fun though, even if the localisation gets pretty rough in the late game.