If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Poll - New Year

Mike MoehnkeMike Moehnke Code: KirinAdministrators
Which platform's 2018 will be best for RPGs?
PC
Vita
3DS
Switch
PS4
Xbox One
Mobile
It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Comments

• ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    Considering this year was hands down the PS4 for me, and most of the only upcoming RPGs I know are on the PS4, I'm going to have to stick with that. Granted, I'll probably end up playing Monster Hunter: World on the PC, but since nearly everything released these days has at least one alternative platform, I like to attribute their stock towards each regardless of if I end up playing it on that particular one or not. If Cold Steel 3 manages to get localized that'll probably seal the deal for me.
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    I don't think CS3 is this year. My theory is Falcom wants to license CS3+CS4 together like they did for CS1+2. That doesn't rule out doing a deal now, but it makes it harder because of uncertainty about dates.

It's just hearsay, but it seems like CS3 is one of the biggest games yet (on the level of Trails SC) so it may take a bit longer to localize.

There's a lot of Square Enix stuff this year coming for PS4 (other platforms listed in parentheses):

Lost Sphear (also Switch, Windows)
    Secret of Mana HD (Windows)
    Dragon Quest XI (3DS)
    FF7 remake (other, unannounced platforms)
    Left Alive (Windows)
    Dragon Quest Builders 2 (Switch)

On the Square Enix side there is also additional content support, both paid and free, planned for FF15 throughout 2018. And that will conclude the content support for FF15.

Other good stuff for PS4:
    Ni no Kuni Revenant Kingdom (Windows)
    Atelier (Vita, Switch, Windows)

...aaand that's basically it. I looked at the list of upcoming PS4 RPGs and I don't know a lot about a lot of them. http://www.ign.com/upcoming/games/ps4?filter=latest&genre=rpg

• bmesickbmesick New Member Full Members
    Switch is getting Shin Megami Tensei 5 and Dragon Quest XI, possibly X. It's also got Pokemon and Dragon Quest Builders 1/2.

Also excited about SMT Strange Journey Redux for 3ds.
  • oldmanbaloldmanbal Full Members
    I love how xbox has 0 votes. It's good to see that the few people that still frequent this site are really rpg lovers.
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    I don't think SMT V is 2018 anywhere, let alone outside Japan. It does have a Fire Emblem due this year though, and since they got Xenoblade 2 out in under a year that will bolster the Switch.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
  • AeramisAeramis Behind You!!!Full Members
    One game I wish that would finally come to the PS4 in NA is a HD port of Tales of Vesperia. It was great on XB360. But it was a slap to the faces of the fans when Japan released it only for themselves on the PS3 with additional content and playable characters.

Microsoft sucks when it comes to RPGs. Playstation will always win that battle.
  • ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    Aeramis wrote: »

That wasn't true for about three years. At the launch of the previous gen, Japanese developers largely floundered at getting anything done on the new, ludicrously expensive and hard-to-develop-for PS3, which Microsoft was more than happy to exploit. The 360 was the RPG system, J- and W-RPG, for the first half of the console generation as Microsoft shored up J-RPG exclusives like ToV and pushed W-RPGs away from their decades of PC-only mentality. The problem is that throwing all of the money in the world at Japanese developers to achieve this goal largely did not work out. Japan basically just sat around on their handhelds and waited for Sony to get their act together instead. After three years, Microsoft realized that their investment wasn't going to payoff and basically wrote off Japan. Around this time, development costs for the PS3 were starting to become a tad more reasonable, and a new glut of JRPGs emerged for the system in the last half of the console generation, though still only a shadow of the volume of console J-RPGs seen on the PS2. Really, it's only been this current console generation that has really seen the return to "normalcy" of Sony winning hands down, and this year in particular saw the renaissance of console J-RPGs after a decade long drought. Honestly, I really hope this generation sticks around until 2020, because it's just gotten good--no need to throw that all under the bus for the pursuit of that damn graphics dragon.
    ClixPsi.png
  • Scott WachterScott Wachter Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff
    Aeramis wrote: »
    One game I wish that would finally come to the PS4 in NA is a HD port of Tales of Vesperia. It was great on XB360. But it was a slap to the faces of the fans when Japan released it only for themselves on the PS3 with additional content and playable characters.

ToV PS3 is a banned topic round these parts.
  • LordGolbezLordGolbez Member Full Members
    Why? Is it something you-know-who likes to go on about?
    The Tea and Biscuits Brigade offers you tea and biscuits.
  • Scott WachterScott Wachter Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff
    For two years the staff could not post a news story about tales without it devolving into a stream of wankery, whingery, and chan-board grade fits over the regional exclusive that shan't be named.
  • Alex FullerAlex Fuller Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    Yup, all forums threads about other Tales games required a special warning :)
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • Mike MoehnkeMike Moehnke Code: Kirin Administrators
    How about some results? Yes, let's have those.

PS4
    46.65%

Switch
    29.11%

PC
    16.93%

3DS
    4.54%

Vita
    2.23%

Xbox One
    0.34%

Mobile
    0.20%

Total Votes
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.