If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

My 2018 Backlog & Romancing SaGa 2

Phillip WillisPhillip Willis Certified PolygameistRPGamer Staff
edited January 10 in Square Enix
Salutations.

A couple of years ago, I started an epic trek through the Dragon Quest series, beginning with the first game. I blogged my journeys, and to my surprise, many people enjoyed it. As you can see, I got up through DQ6 before stopping. From there, I played the PS1 version of DQ7 for a bit, and could not really tolerate it. So, I spent the next two years playing through other things sitting in my backlog, including the very awesome, beefy PS2 Persona games.

Aside from playing a metric ton of Monster Hunter World, I plan to knock out Dragon Quest VII and VIII this year, with the hope I can jump into X. With that said, as I mentioned on RPGBacktrack, Romancing SaGa 2 came out. I added it to my 2018 list thinking that three epic RPGs in one year should not be too hard. I thought I might do it as a palette cleanser between DQ 7 and 8. However, I have not seen a lot of chatter about the game, and wondered if there might be more interest if I put RS2 first, and perhaps did an adventure blog on it in the style of my Dragon Quest blogs from earlier. Do y'all have any thoughts?
Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!

Comments

• OmbresOmbres Games horder Full Members
    edited January 10
    I can see that you will have a lot of fun, really looking forward to play Romancing Saga 2 too. But lot of backlog to get into, I am working right now on Zelda Breath of the wild, more than 50 hour in and a lot more to do still! After that I want to do Xenoblade Chronicle.

I want to get into Monster Hunter World too, but it will be on PC for me at the end of this year!

But like usual, I will follow you in your great adventure.
    Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
    sig.gif
  • Phillip WillisPhillip Willis Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    Ombres wrote: »
    I want to get into Monster Hunter World too, but it will be on PC for me at the end of this year!
    I hear ya! I will likely get the PC version too in order to play with my brothers and PC Only friends :)
    Sweet! Do you have a preference between following me through Dragon Quest VII or Romancing Saga 2 first?

Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!
  • gaijinmonogatarigaijinmonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Is it the PSX or 3DS version of DQ7?

If the former, save yourself and get the latter. While you wait for the delivery truck, play Romancing SaGa 2 ;)
    Is it the PSX or 3DS version of DQ7?
    If the former, save yourself and get the latter. While you wait for the delivery truck, play Romancing SaGa 2 ;)
    Hahahahaha....That's a great response. You better believe it is the latter! Hey, I like old games, but I'm not a masochist! You know, both are kinda slow and long, so I may take a suggestion from Twitter and alternate between the two...doing a chapter each and blogging each as I go along.
  • OmbresOmbres Games horder Full Members
    JCServant wrote: »
    Sweet! Do you have a preference between following me through Dragon Quest VII or Romancing Saga 2 first?

I don't mind, both are really interesting, whatever you want to play first!

Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
    sig.gif
    edited May 17
    So... an update on this. My apologies for not updating here more regularly regarding my DQVII adventures. On the bright side, if you are an avid listener to RPGBacktrack, I talk about it on nearly every show. If you don't, I'll catch up up here, and tell ya where I'm going from here.

250px-Dragonwarrior7cover.jpg

So, I've spent about 40 hours in DQ VII. Annnnddd...I'm done. I mean, I really just don't want to play it anymore. The short version is that I feel the game drags on WAY too long (and that's in the 3DS version!). This game focuses a lot more on the small quests than, say, the main plot or any character development. Heck, if you do not use the party chat option, the other characters in your party hardly talk at all. To make it more difficult for my bunny brain, the time travel aspect leaves me scratching my head more times than not. The game seems to expect me to figure out who is who 40 years later, but all of DQ's NPCs start looking similar after a while. I just don't feel connected to it. And, DQ's battle system, while solid, is hardly original or earth shattering. While I can enjoy an RPG with mediocre story if the combat system rocks, I tire of repetitive battle systems with stories that leave me scratching my head.

3323450-romancing-saga-2.jpg

As I mentioned above, I also got Romancing Saga 2 and played it. As I mentioned on a Q&A quest with Mike, RS is that series I really WANT to like, but can never actually do so. I really enjoyed the graphics and the premise of the game; you play a lineage of kings and queens running a country. The game does some very interesting things that you just do not see in any other RPG because of this, such as the way it handles class XP. However, to fully understand these systems you will need to read FAQs because the game does a poor job explaining them. I don't really hold that against it. What I do have a problem with, however, is the poor writing, and handling of the time mechanic. For example, at a point in the story, time will fast foward decades. However, when you walk around town, you talk to the same NPCs... including one that was looking for her child, and is still doing so decades later. This happens all over the place with even the most minor townfolk and it completely breaks the immersion for me. Some say I should give it a pass because it is an older game, but I would point out that Dragon Quest V, which came out nearly a year prior, handled this idea a LOT better. In so many ways, DQV is better than this, and I would recommend that title over RG2 any day of the week. I played about a dozen hours and gave up.

220px-Dragon_Quest_VIII_Journey_of_the_Cursed_King.jpeg

I'm working on DQVIII on my 3DS now. I am about a dozen hours in and I find it delightful. The characters have more character than DQVII, and the main plot is more interesting since it ties into these interesting characters well (i.e. they're not just doing it to 'save the world,' they have their own motivations). As the game progresses, they continue (so far) to develop their relationships and their stories... so I actually WANT to go through the OK/Good, yet grindy combat to find out what happens to these guys next. Hopefully, this will keep up.

I'll probably write more in a review blog on the other section of the forums. I just wanted to update y'all here. Thanks for reading!