If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPGCast - Episode 452: "Chased by a Taco"

Chris PrivitereChris Privitere Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflictMadison, WIAdministrators
RPGCast - Episode 452: "Chased by a Taco"

2018 is shaping up to be the year of catching up on 2017 games. Not a lot coming out this week to dissuade one from that opinion. Although, Switch owners may have some stuff to look forward to. And Pikachu fans get a special surprise.

You can find the show notes here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hLXOun1ZxUP6E_vRgsLTdrSzy7q-h4iCHJt3EDYuKRs/edit?usp=sharing

RPGCast streams live on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
Post in this thread.
Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "Chased by a Taco"
Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=264306390
Subscribe on Google Play: https://play.google.com/music/m/Inlodcf5muxdqt3obi7cnippbhm?t=RPG_Cast

Question of the Week:
Detective Pikachu Voice Picks.
179811.png

Comments

• LordGolbezLordGolbez Member Full Members
    Cam Clarke. Can't say I care about Detective Pikachu, but I'll plug Cam Clarke for his recognizable voice in things from the original TMNT cartoon all the way up to MGS.
    The Tea and Biscuits Brigade offers you tea and biscuits.
  • StrawberryEggsStrawberryEggs Eternal Kyoshi Administrators
    edited January 16
    As someone who really enjoyed the two screen battle system in the original version of The World Ends with You, I will miss it. I am intrigued by how the Joy-Cons will be used, though. :)

Has there been any mention as to whether or not Ryan Reynolds would do video game Detective Pikachu in addition to the movie? Detective 'chu in the trailer sounds like Kirk Thornton to me,though I've been wrong more times than not about trying to guess a VA based on a few second in a trailer.

But yeah, Kirk Thornton would be my first pick for Detective Pikachu, as would Travis Willingham. Both can do gruff, tough guy voices pretty well. Richard Epcar would decent as well. Jamieson Price could do in a pinch, but his voice might be too deep.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• Joshua CarpenterJoshua Carpenter RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    I'm curious to give TWEWY another go. I liked the story and aesthetics, but the battle system didn't quite click for me. Well, more that I found that the computer did a better job handling the top screen than I did splitting my attention and then I got stuck on the boss at the end of week 2 where the AI didn't do a good job with the top screen and I had no clue how to control it as I had ignored it during week 2.

Honestly, I may be most interested in the new Mario Tennis game. I didn't realize that this really is a new game and not a WiiU port and the story mode sounds interesting. I wonder if there will be any RPG elements incorporated like Mario Sports games of yore.
  • LordGolbezLordGolbez Member Full Members
    I don't remember TWEWY gameplay that well, except that it felt pretty manic to me with all the different slashes and stuff you had to do pretty rapidly, but I thought switching between the screens was an essential part of the gameplay, like you got bonuses by switching between the screens with the correct timing or something?
    The Tea and Biscuits Brigade offers you tea and biscuits.
  • StrawberryEggsStrawberryEggs Eternal Kyoshi Administrators
    There is a greenspot called the Puck, or Light Puck that passes between the top and bottom screen. To deal a lot of damage and get a good rating, you have to concentrate on the screen the puck is currently on. When it's on the bottom screen, concentrate on using the touch screen and controlling Neku. When it's on the bottom, pay attention to Shiki/Joshua/Beat and use the D-Pad. Damage is increases as the puck is passed back and forth. The puck will disappear if it isn't passed between screens on time.

It's not so much that you have to split your attention between both screen, but rather, you have to concentrate on playing one screen effectively at a time while spamming with the other. It is still frantic and takes some practice to follow the puck.

I can't remember if the light puck comes into play or is used well by the computer if you opt to ignore the top screen and let the AI handle it.

Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• VictarVictar Member Full Members
    edited January 21
    The World of Warcraft developers have said that all the cosmetic artifact weapon appearances will be usable in future expansions through the transmogrification system, even though artifact weapons themselves are going away.

They have also said that the weapon appearances exclusive to the Mage Tower challenge or exclusive to completing a Mythic +15 dungeon under the time limit will no longer be obtainable once the next expansion trivializes their difficulty. All other weapon appearances will still be obtainable.

http://massivelyop.com/2017/10/10/yes-you-can-still-use-artifact-appearances-in-future-world-of-warcraft-expansions/

I looked up a little info about Playstation VR simulation sickness, and learned to my horror that continuing to play when one feels ill could lead to being ill for days, being unable to drive, or becoming susceptible to simulation sickness when playing non-VR games.

QOTW: I'll vote Frank Welker because he's so versatile he could do any voice well, and because he's done some excellent voice work in World of Warcraft (particularly as Reshad the cursed bird-man in Warlords of Draenor), as well as countless Saturday morning cartoons.
  • Joshua CarpenterJoshua Carpenter RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Victar wrote: »

I looked up a little info about Playstation VR simulation sickness, and learned to my horror that continuing to play when one feels ill could lead to being ill for days, being unable to drive, or becoming susceptible to simulation sickness when playing non-VR games.

Wow! Thanks Victar. I will keep that in mind in case I start getting motion sick playing VR. That makes sense; I had bouts of vertigo when I was younger and even after the acute effects were over, my sense of balance was messed up and I would feel off for two or three days afterward.