If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Poll - Your 2017

JuMeSynJuMeSyn Code: KirinAdministrators
Which was your RPG of 2017?
Horizon Zero Dawn
Persona 5
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
NieR: Automata
Mass Effect Andromeda
Divinity: Original Sin II
Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana
Monster Hunter Stories
Something else
It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Comments

• DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    Persona 5, with Horizon Zero Dawn coming into a close second, and Breath of the Wild barely in 3rd. It was a good year for RPGs.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • Lord GolbezLord Golbez Member Full Members
    My ranking is pretty much the same as DarkRPGMaster. I'd probably say that Horizon Zero Dawn is less close of a second for me, but it is still second. BotW being third is a bit unusual for me, because I usually don't rate Zelda games that highly - just above average if that - and don't even (comment left out to avoid moderation), but this is probably best in the series for me. I haven't played Nier Automata or Xenoblade Chronicles 2 yet, so it's possible those could bump one of these spots for me (not Persona 5, let's be honest, that place stands firm and unassailable - it would take a Final Fantasy game of a quality not seen for nigh on 2 decades to unseat it or a Suikoden game of a quality not seen for roughly equal length in time).
    The Tea and Biscuits Brigade offers you tea and biscuits.
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    My top RPGs of the year were oddballs compared to most people, and I'm totally OK with that.

1) Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood
    2) Xenoblade 2
    3) Pyre
    4) Horizon Zero Dawn
    5) Victor Vran
    6) Persona 5
    7) Tales of Berseria
    8) Tokyo Xanadu
    9) Ys Origin
    10) Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    edited February 9
    I am in the unincorporated Something Else tier. Berseria won my heart with ease, but I also didn't play the big names this year. I have had a copy of Breath of the Wild available for about a year now, and I never touched it or the Switch, much to my younger brother's consternation. I just am not hyped for it. Similarly, I have yet to play a Persona game, but it is a series on my shortlist. At this point, I will probably just play the series backwards due to difficult scale (I know P2 is two games--I will play them in order). Really, kind of hoping for a handheld version of P5 to come out before I jump in. That said, from my roommate's grumbling and another friend's disappointment, I am not eager to play P5.
    ClixPsi.png
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    You actually might enjoy P5 more playing it before P4 and P3.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    Macstorm wrote: »
    You actually might enjoy P5 more playing it before P4 and P3.

Yeah, there are times that I approach things backwards. For example, I remember ten years ago that one user claimed that Chrono Cross is more appreciable if played before Trigger. Thus, I played Chrono Cross first. Similarly, at this point in time, I am likely to play the Xeno "franchise" backwards (counting Xenosaga as a single entry and playing the episodes in order).
    ClixPsi.png
    edited February 10
    I strongly disagree, although this is from the perspective of someone who played Chrono Trigger first. The biggest flaw with Chrono Cross is that apart from the portions of the story that touch on Chrono Trigger, there's a lot of filler that essentially amounts to mandatory side quests making up the bulk of the game. If you don't know about the characters or events from Chrono Trigger ahead of time, the very best parts of Chrono Cross - the parts that make the slog through the filler actually worthwhile - will lose their emotional impact. As far as Xenosaga goes, no play order is going to make those games good, so knock yourself out.

However, in the case of Persona, I strongly recommend not touching the first or second until playing at least some of P3-P5. Why? Because if you start with the first 2 entries, you're likely to be turned off from the series. I'm not saying they don't have redeeming qualities at all, but frankly, the gameplay is overall bad and has prevented me from putting in the time to finish any of them. Getting new Personas is a ridiculous grindfest in those games and I actually like grinding levels in a lot of games. From someone who got Rydia to learn Meteo as a kid, let me tell you the grind in these games is not fun. Once you get past that and just play through a section, that can be fun, but you will have to return to the grind. I don't know what kind of person would enjoy the grind for Persona cards in these games, but it's unfathomable to me.
  • watcherwatcher Veteran RPGamer Full Members
    Yeah, the Xenosaga series isn't worth the time investment required. It might have barely been when they were new, but with all the great games since then it's just not.

Persona games are pretty much Pokemon/SMT+dungeon crawl+high school kids. So if you don't like monster collector games or prefer world exploration over dungeon crawls, it's best to stay away. There are non-dungeon crawl SMT games for those that like the style of combat system.

Anyway, as someone that doesn't yet have a Switch, nor is a fan of Persona games, my top game this year was H:ZD.
    Most SMT games are more dungeon crawl than Persona games, not less. Persona games actually have considerable story and non-combat phases to gameplay that make them play significantly differently to typical dungeon crawlers. In fact, it's so differently, that I'd argue categorizing them as dungeon crawlers is just wrong. Yes, they don't have the typical world exploration of an FF or DQ type game, but it would be a mistake to assume that your preference for world exploration vs. dungeon crawlers will necessarily direct how you feel about Persona. I pretty much hate straight dungeon crawlers. I won't touch stuff like Etrian Odyssey. Persona games are not like that at all (except maybe the first two). Persona 5 is the least dungeon crawler of them all, since there are several distinct dungeons and they aren't randomized. Persona 3 has significant dungeon crawler aspects because there's one large tower you go through with randomized floors throughout, but it's still a mistake to regard it as a pure dungeon crawler. I don't think monster collector games is an adequate description either. While "monster collection" so to speak forms a significant part of the gameplay, it's not the driving purpose of the game. The games are very story-driven. You do what Persona collection and fusion you need to to get through the game. More than that is just if you have the monster collector game mentality.

Furthermore, while there are some shared features, the combat system in other SMT games is actually not quite the same as the Persona games. I've never found another SMT game that has a combat system I enjoy as much. Don't assume you're going to get the same experience with another SMT game. You most likely will not.