If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The 2018 Completed Games List

Comments

• flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited April 17
    SteamWorld Dig 2 (PC) - Good if you like MetroidVania. Lots of different digging-related powers to explore.

You can get this free from Twitch Prime this month.
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    Never Stop Sneakin' (Switch) - Give me an in-universe reason why you've got a roguelike and I'll be a happy man. I played off and on for about four months.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
  • Joshua CarpenterJoshua Carpenter RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    The Witch and the Hundred Knight 2 (PS4) - So that was one of the worst gaming experiences I've had in quite a while. It started out looking like a harmless, bland action RPG but it beat me into submission with repetitive tedium and poor design decisions. Review to come after I've taken out some frustration on the street thugs of Kamurocho.
  • TheDoomhammerTheDoomhammer Prod with the Prod Full Members
    Yakuza 6 [PS4] - I'm gonna miss ol' Kazuma Kiryu.
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    I played all five episodes of Batman: The Enemy Within (PC) over the course of a couple days, and I consider this one game not five. Episode one was outstanding, leaving me marveling over Telltale's mastery of storytelling. Then the rest of the season was a slow build-up to the climatic episode 5, and I was wishing more actually happened in 2-4. It needed to follow the format of a play and put a climax in the middle, but nope. That aside, I was glad I went into it blind as to the story's ultimate payoff. John Doe was an excellent character -- definitely the best in any Telltale game I've played -- and the irony where the player knows this man will become Joker while Bruce Wayne does not was handled perfectly. I liked all the characters, and supposedly episode 5 plays out quite differently depending on your choices in 2-4, which is cool. Overall, this lands toward the middle of the pack of the Telltale games I've played. Better than Batman season 1.

And right after playing a western storytelling game, I played Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc (PS4), which was unfair to Danganronpa since Japanese storytelling in games is universally worse than western storytelling. It was fun enough and intriguing enough, if slower than I'd prefer. The way the trials slowly reveal new info until the player can figure out the killer just before the protagonist in the game does was executed well. I was always 1 step ahead of the game's revelations, but never 2 steps. I'm looking forward to the next in the series.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    .hack//G.U. Vol. 3//Redemption (via .hack//G.U. Last Recode; 44 hours)

Yeah, this volume felt like a complete mess. The story campaign was horrendously paced, everyone felt like they had lost more than a few dozen IQ points, and the post-game is too much (the opposite of Vol 2's nothing). Oh well. Just the new volume left after a short interlude.
    ClixPsi.png
  • Alex FullerAlex Fuller Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    Ah yes, Regalia: Of Men and Monarchs Royal Edition (PS4) was finished (in around 25 hours I believe). Review be here.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    Given all the stress I've been feeling, the only gaming I've really done is Overwatch. Then I realized I was all RPG-ed out, so I picked up Rise of the Tomb Raider (PS4) from work and beat it, I really liked it, up until the final area which went on far too long than it needed to, Really liking the reboot otherwise!
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    Final Fantasy V Advance (GBA, 25 hours) - I enjoyed this playthrough a lot more than prior ones, but I was in a systems-game kinda mood, so that helped.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • mooserockamooserocka New Member Full Members
    I loved the new radiant historia. I played and got EVERY thing done : D.
    Pillars of Eternity + White March 1 & 2 [PC]: Finished a completionist playthrough ready for Deadfire, since I managed to lose my old saves. Ooops.
  • redwing42redwing42 Just Monika Full Members
    XCOM 2 (XBOX ONE) Veteran difficulty, vanilla version with DLC (no WotC). As much as I normally hold myself to playing Ironman in XCOM games, this one was just too buggy to do so. This is, perhaps, the most buggy game I have ever played. Multiple hard crashes, and it even took several days and a console reset to be able to boot the game in the first place. That aside, I really enjoyed many of the changes to the actual gameplay. The new classes were fun and varied. New aliens were challenging, but manageable once you saw them a couple times. I did not like the change in how armor worked, or the overall changes to the overworld sections of the game. Had lots of fun with it, though, once I got rolling. Will play a WotC game at some point, but not right now.
    edited May 1
    Sid Meier's Pirates! [PC] Have had plenty of free time and not much to do until Deadfire comes out, so played through a very different sort of pirate game. Rescued my family, avenged myself on the villain who wronged them, swept the Spanish from the Caribbean entirely, and retired the obscenely rich Governor of Port Royale, the city I conquered for my Dutch patrons immediately before I retired.
    Cosmic Star Heroine (Vita, 13 hours) - I enjoy this more than expected after others had talked about it being less than they'd hoped for. Pacing was pretty good, but at the same time it did feel rushed in areas. I liked the cast enough that I would have liked to have played around with them a little more.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    Steam World Dig 2 (Switch) Yay, my first Switch game is completed! Now I need a new Switch game. As for this one, I really enjoyed it, as I did the first, but I felt like the ending came up on me a bit quick. I think I ended up with 91% secrets, so I did try to clear everything out. Only had to look up two solutions for caves. I wish I had a bit more time to explore in my fully decked out and mobile set, as that was very fun.

If you enjoyed the first game, this one is just as much fun. If you didn't enjoy the first one, this won't change your mind.
    Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire[PC] - Heck of a ride! Took about 45 hours all up but still feels like it has way more content than the first game (outside the main quest, which is real short)

A bit buggy but... not really in the expected ways, I guess? I didn't see any progression bugs or quests bugging out like you'd expect in one of these kind of games on release but... stuff that should have been extremely obvious in the testing phase. Like save/custom history imports being kind of busted. Or dispositions increasing too quickly, companion interactions firing immediately upon joining instead of hours later. Or perhaps the fact that the whole custom level scaling system they integrated does literally nothing at all. Still very much enjoyed my time here, just hope those problems get fixed quick.
  • Sam WachterSam Wachter RPGamer Staff
    Galaxy of Pen and Paper (PC) is finally completed and yes, despite being a year old, I am still going to review it for the site because I can.
    Galaxy of Pen and Paper (PC) is finally completed and yes, despite being a year old, I am still going to review it for the site because I can.

Just to check, how do you want me to track games for you? Keep it as Nyx, do Nyx/Sam Wachter, or just switch to Sam Wachter?
    ClixPsi.png
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    Yakuza Kiwami (PS4)

My first foray into the Yakuza series, and I can already say I like it. It combines Japanese drama through the main story with the wackiness of side stories and minigames. Ever hear a retired Yakuza badass sing along with a J-Pop song? Seen one play a kid's trading card game? Do races with a toy car you customize? A lot of the wackiness also helps with some colorful characters, including a madman Yakuza named Majima who stalks you throughout your non-story related endeavors and shows up in unexpected and funny ways, going so far as to even challenge you to some of the minigames (you can't escape, Kiryu-chan!). Others include kids you help teach the value of friendship through trading card battles, and old friends you re-ignite the love of toy car races with.

Battles can be chaotic old school brawler types (put into 3D), with you using your bare fists in one of four styles to fight your foes, and even picking up objects in the environment to use on your foes. A gauge slowly fills, which allows you to do powerful finisher moves and counters, most of which are either brutal or over the top. While battles are simplistic, they're anything if boring considering the environment you're in determines what can be used as weapons, and you can always mix it up with a different stance if you're feeling bored with one.

If you're wondering if this series is for you, this game is definitely the starting point I suggest for it (considering it's a remake of the original, meaning there's no real story spoilers for future games).
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    edited May 15
    0 is also a really good starting point for Yakuza both for being chronologically first, and because adds a lot to Kiwami story-wise (Much of the new stuff in Kiwami are follow-ups to 0, and knowing what happens in Kiwami makes some stuff in 0 a foregone conclusion.)
    Clix wrote: »

Just to check, how do you want me to track games for you? Keep it as Nyx, do Nyx/Sam Wachter, or just switch to Sam Wachter?

Yeah, just keep it under Nyx. When we did the site change over, my username got changed over too. Make your life easy!
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    I finished BattleTech (PC) tonight. At about 4/5 of the way through, I lost steam and then stopped playing for a week when a mission annoyed me after I failed a couple of times, but until that point I played it for hours every day and was hooked. The game is a bit too long, the battles a bit too slow, and the mechanics with their high RNG a bit too frustrating for me to call it great, but it's close to great. Really, if it was 40 hours instead of 60 I'd have been wanting more. It just outlasted my interest.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
    Reverie (Vita, 6 hours) - Easily the best Zelda-like on Vita.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • Alex FullerAlex Fuller Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    Forgot to add these earlier :)

Tales of Aravorn: Cursed Lands (PC), around fifteen hours - review
    Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicles (Switch), around ten hours - review
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
    Dragon's Crown Pro (PS4) -- Review/impression to come soon. Honestly, there is very, very little here that's new. Still a great game though.
  • Michael A CunninghamMichael A Cunningham Administrators
    Devious Dungeon (Vita, 4 hours) - Really dug this. Like Rogue Legacy, but with no permadeath and persistent stats.
  • Joshua CarpenterJoshua Carpenter RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Sakura Taisen (PSP) - Absolutely loved this game, even if the fan translation gets a bit rough in the second half. It has me very excited about the revival of the series; I hope Sega doesn't screw it up.
    Sakura Taisen (PSP) - Absolutely loved this game, even if the fan translation gets a bit rough in the second half. It has me very excited about the revival of the series; I hope Sega doesn't screw it up.

I trust in Sega.

To screw it up. That said, I wonder if we will get this one. We got SWV, somehow.
    ClixPsi.png
  • IzlimakIzlimak New Member Full Members
    Flower - PS3

One of my favorite games on the PS3 that I’ve played. Very pretty game with emotional music. Even though I highly recommend this game, I would still wait until it’s on sale because it’s very short. As you you would think with a game called ‘Flower’, there is no challenge (except in getting a trophy), however, I still had fun. Something else to keep in mind, is that’s it’s cross buy with PS4 and Vita. I managed to get all trophies. Note: There is no platinum trophy for Flower.

Score: 9/10
    SUPERHOT (XBOX One) Cool game. Very Eastern Block. Neat gameplay twist for a shooter. A good change of pace for someone whom has been elbows deep in Horizon: Zero Dawn for a couple weeks.