If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest on Cell Phones

OwozifaOwozifa MemberFull Members
edited October 2003 in Latest Updates
Square Enix is making its two most famous games available for the cell phone.

Find out all about it here.

Comments

• DavisDavis 2 Human 2 Furious Full Members
    edited October 2003
    The forces of the end have assembled. Soon they shall put forth Final Fantasy 6 on a Game Boy and then a chain of events will follow that end with me being sent to the Farplane.

Truly these are exciting times.

Five tons of Flax,
    Davis
  • LobstrosityLobstrosity Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    Meh. I don't have a cell phone, and have no intention of ever owning one. And if I wanted to play Final Fantasy, I'd do it on PSOne. And I've never been a big Dragon Quest fan, so that's nothing big to me.
  • Matt1plus1Matt1plus1 Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    Yeesh, and I thought things couldn't get stranger over at camp Square Enix. Still, this is pleasantly interesting.

And who knows? This may be the grain that tips the scale on my decision to finally get a cell phone.
  • Daemonic_AngelDaemonic_Angel Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Lobstrosity @ Oct. 01 2003,04:33)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Meh. ?I don't have a cell phone, and have no intention of ever owning one. ?And if I wanted to play Final Fantasy, I'd do it on PSOne. ?And I've never been a big Dragon Quest fan, so that's nothing big to me.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Im with you on the issue i HATE cell phones and will never own one
  • Shadow XShadow X Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    Uhhh I'm sorry but this seems kinda dumb. If they want to make it portable slap it on the GBA not a freakin cell phone.

The Newest Final Fantasy Traitor
    Shadow X
  • Captain VittlesCaptain Vittles Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    They don't want to make it portable, they want to cash in on the insane cellphone mania in Japan. I'm honestly surprised it took so long, but then again I don't keep up with the limits of cell phone technology.
  • Options
    edited October 2003
    If they were to come to America, i'd be logical to put them on something like the N-Gage or the like. Most people don't buy these high end cellphones here to play games like this, but the N-Gage sounds like a logical base for it. I don't plan on getting one, but it does make some sense.
  • AaediyenAaediyen Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    You will start to see remakes of the old 16 bit games on the Game Boy soon I would imagine. Id rather have Final Fantasy 6 with all new sprites on my game boy.
  • LordBrianLordBrian Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Nightsong @ Oct. 01 2003,12:45)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"If they were to come to America, i'd be logical to put them on something like the N-Gage or the like. Most people don't buy these high end cellphones here to play games like this, but the N-Gage sounds like a logical base for it. I don't plan on getting one, but it does make some sense.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    It's important to keep in mind that in Japan, phones that can play games like this really aren't all that high-end anymore. Cell phones in Japan are way more advanced than the ones you can get here. Before I saw some of them myself, I had a hard time understanding why people would want to play games on a cell phone. After, I understood completely.
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LordBrian @ Oct. 01 2003,13:44)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"It's important to keep in mind that in Japan, phones that can play games like this really aren't all that high-end anymore. Cell phones in Japan are way more advanced than the ones you can get here. Before I saw some of them myself, I had a hard time understanding why people would want to play games on a cell phone. After, I understood completely.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Good point. But still, if I want to play a portable game, I'll just play something on the GBA. While I wish that Nintendo would make a wireless moden for the GBA and start up some online gaming for it, it's really not necessery. I'm assuming the N-Gage has this option? If so, it's not a big enough selling point. The only thing that could get me to buy one of those is if they started making some really, really good games for it, and then I'd still have moral problems, because I really dislike cel phones. No one really needs to talk to me so badly that I should carry a phone with me wherever I go, and I like it that way.
  • RyuujinRyuujin Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    Square Enix USA *MAY* be trying to get into cellphone gaming too. Check out this ad from their jobs section...

TECHNICAL QUALITY ASSURANCE ASSOCIATE

Candidate will be a part of a new Technical Quality Assurance (TQA) team to test and deploy content over a wireless network. Basic understanding of software quality assurance is required. Experience in content deployment via wireless environment and operation of mobile devices is a plus. Experience in game testing is also a plus. Must have excellent communication skills. Candidate must be able to work independently and also be a contributor in the team. Must be passionate about games.

This is a temp/term position located in Los Angeles, CA.

Primary Responsibilities:
    * Testing of BREW and Java-based applets (software).
    * Testing of mobile devices (hardware).
    * Creation and execution of Test cases.
    * Bug administration (Reporting, Analysis, Tracking and Updating).
    * Generate progress reports to identify current progress and future problems.
    * Must communicate with Technical Support and Development teams to resolve issues.
    * Must be able to set up a Windows environment and build a PC.

From this I think Square Enix USA is making its move into mobile cellphone gaming.
  • LordBrianLordBrian Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    That's quite possible, but the stuff listed there could also go towards, say, a Sony PSP game division.
  • golbexgolbex Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Im with you on the issue i HATE cell phones and will never own one [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Same here. ?I consider phones an annoyance, but whatever people like to spend their money on... Never played Dragon Quest, but maybe someday I will.

As for ports, I'd much rather see FF3 on GBA or PS. ?
    This makes 3 ports for FF1. ?Wow. ?(NES -> WS/PS/Phone)
  • PKFCPKFC Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    This might not be a big thing to alot of you, but it is a huge thing in Japan. Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy as you know sell oodles of copies no matter what system is on. If you were paying attention long enough, FF made the WonderSwan Colour more than a non entity in the handheld market. Its not like DQ and FF will sell more phones since everyone (not literally) has a cell phone in Japan. I would love to be able to play DQ and/or FF with one thumb on the train.

Another important thing is how these games aren't coming out for the N-Gage... Its gonna be rocky for Nokia without a guaranteed seller like DQ and FF.

The sad truth is that these remakes won't make it here. We were lucky to get Final Fantasy II on PSX and we will probably get III when/if it comes out on GBA..... *crosses his fingers for ToP GBA*

And the Dragon Quest remake looks alot better than the SNES remake (and obviously better than the GBC remake)... It looks like sorta like the DQIIIR SFC game.

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/tgs03/title_m02.html

And I posted the story before you guys... Nya nya! tounge.gif *cough*[url]http://dqnn.alefgard.com*cough*[/url]

(Feel free to take out the shameless advertsing tounge.gif)
    edited October 2003
    Huh. I must admit that those screenshots do look interesting. The Final Fantasy shots look similar to the PSOne remake, although the background in the desert looks kind of different. It's still not enough to sell me on it. Not that it matters, since it's pretty unlikely we're going to be getting these in America.
  • KokiriChildKokiriChild New Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    First of all I'd like to say that this is my first post laugh.gif

Secondly I think it looks cool, I'd love to play FF on the move without having to carry my GBA around with me (I always have my mobile on me, so I'd always have an FF with me too laugh.gif)

Anyhow, that picture of Cloud on a mobile screen, is that just a graphical test, or do they think phone can hold 1.9Gb of info? If they can I'd be very pleased laugh.gif
  • JoshieJoshie Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (golbex @ Oct. 02 2003,01:52)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"This makes 3 ports for FF1. Wow. (NES -> WS/PS/Phone)[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Well, technically it makes two ports. The Wonderswan version was a remake, not a port. There's a difference.

Chrono Trigger PSX = port
    Dragon Quest IV PSX = remake
  • ElranzerElranzer Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    I don't see how this could work, at least in America, on anything else other than the T-Mobile Sidekick or Nokia N-Gage (which no one is gonna buy). I'd like to see what phones that they're using these on in Japan...

Personally I do not see why they don't port the SNES version of Dragon Warriors and Wonderswan versions of FF's to Windows Pocket PC. Imagine how many PDA's and super cell-phones would have it then. OR frankly, why not just for the Gameboy Advance??

And technically there was a third port of FF1...

Final Fantasy 1 for the MSX, check it out here.

- Elranzer
  • golbexgolbex Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    Hmm. ?Good post, Elranzer. ?I never knew about that one... ?Interesting.