If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Sound Test - Missed Entrance

trickwaterstrickwaters MemberFull Members
edited October 2003 in Latest Updates
Lots and lots of music. Keep it coming, since I'm masochistic and enjoy spending hours trying to upload all the music from an ethernet server that refuses to cooperate, even when traffic is low. Cheers for masochism!

http://www.rpgamer.com/music/2003/music011003.html

Comments

• Matt1plus1Matt1plus1 Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Cheers for masochism![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I'll drink to that! Cheers! Of course, I'll use anything as a reason to drink.."I got a C- on my World History final? By god, I'll drink to that!"

Anyways, don't worry about the update being a couple days overdue. Before, it was updated (at most) once a month..so hail he whom worships thy menthos and updates with semi-regularity. smile.gif

But on-topic, I haven't had time to browse everything, but I would like to send kudos to Justus Johnson..I loved your Ys 6 MIDI so much I'm downloading the MP3 of it now. smile.gif Great work putting that together, I wish I could make MIDIs that well (whereas mine usually turn out in a fashion that could best be described as "putrid ear-rape")

• KokiriChildKokiriChild New Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    allow me to buy you a drink matt, I love that MP3 you've made! Better than anything I could pull off. What software do you use BTW?
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"allow me to buy you a drink matt, I love that MP3 you've made! Better than anything I could pull off. What software do you use BTW?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Aww, thanks! For my mixes, I use Melody Assistant, which I use to put the actual mix together. It's an EXTREMELY useful and user-friendly tool. Then after I finish the mix in that, I run it through Soundprobe 2 to add any and all digital effects, some of the ones I do have more effects than others, but almost all of them have an effect that gives them a slight reverb or echo (for lack of a better word tounge.gif) to make them sound more "real".

Anyway, thanks for the compliment! I've only ever received a handful of responses since I started submitting (it's been almost a year already?!), so it's nice to know someone out there is listening, whereas I usually don't know if anyone downloaded anything, let alone what they thought of it. tounge.gif
  • KokiriChildKokiriChild New Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    Well you can count on me for an honest opinion, if I thought it was shi-- bad, then I'd have said so, but it isn't, so what were you drinking?

I'm kind of a n00b here, is there anyway I can access the old Sound Tests?
  • trickwaterstrickwaters Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    As of right now, the only way I've found that will get you to the older Sound Test/Cave/Music Box/et cetera updates is by going through the older links provided with each update. Eventually, I hope to get around to organizing all the past updates for the section.
    edited October 2003
    Just click the "Recent Updates" panel on the right-hand side. Though the farthest I've gotten was December 25th, 2002 I believe..the rest give dead links, if I remember correctly.

• Justus JohnstonJustus Johnston Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    wow.gif9--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Matt1plus1 @ Oct. 02 2003,09wow.gif9)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"But on-topic, I haven't had time to browse everything, but I would like to send kudos to Justus Johnson..I loved your Ys 6 MIDI so much I'm downloading the MP3 of it now. smile.gif Great work putting that together, I wish I could make MIDIs that well (whereas mine usually turn out in a fashion that could best be described as "putrid ear-rape")[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Hey, thanks! ?I actually pounded out that MIDI weeks ago...in fact, it came into being IMMEDIATELY after I saw that first demo video. ?I have downloaded all the pieces on this update, but I haven't listened to anything yet, ironically, because I've been too busy playing Ys 6 ?laugh.gif ? I got the game 2 days ago, and coming onto RPGamer to make this post is nearly the first non-Ys 6 activity my computer has performed since I got it. ?As a matter of fact, now that I have the actual game, an update to that MIDI is in order...a MAJOR update. ?Not only is the final version of that song longer (over four minutes), but it's been CONSIDERABLY improved since they used it in the demo video. ?For one thing, they added live wailing guitars to it! ?(I LOVE it when Falcom adds live wailing guitars). ?You can certainly expect more Ys 6 work from me in the immediate future. ?I'm torn though....I don't know if I want to update that piece, or work on the equally kickarse intro song.

Really, if I had any sense of decency at all, I would go listen to everyone's work from this update now, and post some reactions, but...the game is calling...and I can't wait to fight Ernst...more importantly...I can't....fight...this...addiction!!! ?More specifically, I'm a self-proclaimed Falcom otaku...and this is the first (original) Ys game in about 8 years! ?You understand...right?

Anyway, if you really feel that my MIDIs are so much better than yours, feel free to ask me how I do anything. I don't hoarde the secrets of the trade ya know tounge.gif

- Justus "spell my last name with a 't' damnit" JohnsTon
    composer of music and sound
    Firebell Inc.
    www.firebell.org/music.html

• trickwaterstrickwaters Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Justus Johnston @ Oct. 03 2003,00:37)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Justus "spell my last name with a 't' damnit" JohnsTon[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    My bad. ?I'll fix it tomorrow.

• RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    All fixed for you.
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Really, if I had any sense of decency at all, I would go listen to everyone's work from this update now, and post some reactions, but...the game is calling...and I can't wait to fight Ernst...more importantly...I can't....fight...this...addiction!!! ?More specifically, I'm a self-proclaimed Falcom otaku...and this is the first (original) Ys game in about 8 years! ?You understand...right?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

(Sorry, Justus Johnston it is..I thought I remembered a t in your name, so I checked up the newest update before I wrote that tounge.gif)

Absolutely. No worries ;) I know what it's like to be addicted to a game beyond belief. I played Star Ocean 2 and beat it, and enjoyed it enough to play it through a second time, but for some reason I couldn't stop playing for the life of me. My mental awarness quickly deteriorated, and before I knew it, I'd played it 2 days straight. Good times! tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Anyway, if you really feel that my MIDIs are so much better than yours, feel free to ask me how I do anything. ?I don't hoarde the secrets of the trade ya know ? tounge.gif [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I wouldn't know what to ask, really. I've made MIDIs before, but I've never been able to send a remix through MIDI-ifying (how's that for technical jargon?) without it ending up eardrum-splittingly horrid. It may be the software, it may be the hardware (my soundcard is garbage at playing MIDIs), or it may just be my lack of knowledge about how to go about doing it. ;)

What software do you use to sequence them? I don't think Melody Assistant (what I use, it can create MP3s as well as MIDIs, among a slew of others) is particularly the top of the line in MIDI composition. So I just stick to MP3s, which ARE better quality and therefore I have more confidence in them, but I'm not sure how many people would be willing to download a 2+MB file of something they have just a passing interest in.

As this plummets down the main page I'm not sure it'll be read, but I will say that you may or may not have noticed that you and I are practically the only people to submit stuff almost EVERY update (I've done it for nearly a year, but for a long time stuff I sent in never made it in the updates :/), and I always give your stuff a listen. I know absolutely nothing about Ys and have never played any of them, but you've gotten me to like the music in them. smile.gif
  • Justus JohnstonJustus Johnston Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I wouldn't know what to ask, really. I've made MIDIs before, but I've never been able to send a remix through MIDI-ifying (how's that for technical jargon?) without it ending up eardrum-splittingly horrid. It may be the software, it may be the hardware (my soundcard is garbage at playing MIDIs), or it may just be my lack of knowledge about how to go about doing it. ;)[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I don't think it's your hardware. You said my MIDIs sound good to you, and those are playing on your hardware right? I've usually found the biggest differentiator between novice and advanced sounding MIDIs is in how much quality time is spent on it. For instance, taking the time to really work with MIDI controllers (something most novices won't bother with) can REALLY make a difference not only in the universality of a MIDI, but the very LIFE of it. One of the biggest problems I ran into when I was first starting with MIDI is that I'd get the balance between instruments to sound right on my MIDI instrument, but something would always be unbalanced on anyone else's instrument. I later discovered that this was because I was trying to control the volume entirely using key velocity. Of course, key velocity only REALLY controls how HARD a note is hit, which indirectly effects the volume. On more complex instruments, different samples will actually be used depending on the key velocity. To really make a universally balanced MIDI, you really need to manipulate channel volume (cc07), expression (cc11), AND key velocity. Set the channel volume for each instrument at the beginning of the piece, and then never change it, then use expression for fade-ins and fade-outs and stuff. THIS way, you can control each channel's master volume independantly of fade-ins and fade-outs. And don't forget to also still use key velocity to indicate how hard you want the notes hit. If you've got a synth capable of it, manipulating hi and low-pass filters can really add life to a track too. For instance, using low-pass on trumpets can make them sound like they are backstage.
    At any rate, that's the kind of thing you need to be looking at to make universally decent sounding MIDI. I hope some of that helped.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"What software do you use to sequence them? I don't think Melody Assistant (what I use, it can create MP3s as well as MIDIs, among a slew of others) is particularly the top of the line in MIDI composition. So I just stick to MP3s, which ARE better quality and therefore I have more confidence in them, but I'm not sure how many people would be willing to download a 2+MB file of something they have just a passing interest in.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I should mention that from now on, I'm going to try to post both a MIDI and an MP3 for all of my tracks here at RPGamer. I personally feel that both formats have value. You see, MP3s are good because you, the listener, can hear the music the same way that I do. That, and I'm not limited to GM (for instance, the guitar power chords, or the wind SFX in "winds of darkness", or the live guitar excerpts in "crimson wings").
    On the other hand, I also think it's important to release the MIDI file. Personally, I learned the most about making MIDIs by studying other good MIDIs (mostly, official MIDIs by Falcom, admitedly). But one thing the MIDI file can provide that an MP3 can't, is the exact note and controller data used. Distributing this is about as important to me as actually having people listen to the song. (how else can you drop your jaw in awe at the sheer sick number of different MIDI controllers I simultaneously manipulate? biggrin.gif )

As for my sequencer....oddly enough, I don't use a MIDI sequencer. Insane as it is, I actually use Finale 2003 to do all my music creation (note: Finale is actually music publication software, not a MIDI program). Finale is a program designed around creating a printable score that looks really nice and professional. A side effect of this however, is that for someone like me who's been learning music since age 5, it's way easier and more familiar to manipulate multiple simultaneous staves than messing with cels or piano rolls. Actually doing MIDI controller stuff in Finale can be tedious sometimes, but I personally find it to be the fastest method of actually inputting the notes. That, and the familiarity with the medium are what makes it my "sequencer" of choice. By the way, I'd be happy to upload the .MUS project file of any of my work to anybody who wants it. You can use the freeware Finale Notepad (at least I THINK it's freeware)to view the tracks in actual music notation that way...though I have to warn you, my Finale projects are uuuuuugly! Random expressions and markings just every damn where.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I know absolutely nothing about Ys and have never played any of them, but you've gotten me to like the music in them. [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

You really ought to try out Ys 1&2 for Turbo Duo. You can get used copies of it off of Ebay for about $15 these days, and I hear that there are a couple of decent Turbo Duo emulators out there if you don't want to go to the trouble of hunting down a true Duo and then spending $200 for it. There's even a version in English! Ys 3 for Duo is also in English (but isn't nearly as good). Oh, that and EVERYONE should petition Sony to release Ys 1&2 Eternal Story stateside...either that, or find a way to get Ys 1&2 Eternal for Windows released here.

Anyway, I think I've been away from Ys 6 now for long enough that I can convince myself that I don't HAVE to go back to it immediately *twitch*, so I'll post a few thoughts now on the various tracks for this update. I'll be kinda jotting down thoughts as it goes, so it'll probably be a little disorganized.

Matt1plus1's tracks:

Another World - well, there's two things right off the bat. First, you should really EQ some treble in there. This recording could stand to be a little warmer. Second, I think the gain needs be turned down, because it sounds like it's breaking up a little around the 150 Hz range or so. Arrangement-wise, kind of repetitive, but definately original. The piano in particular (specifically, that ostinato piano line in the left speaker), I think could be toned down to make harmonic room for the rest of the arrangement to shine. Oh yeah, and you should take your bass line and add some sub-range to it to really shake it up. If you can use Soundfonts, I've got a couple of great sub-bass sounds you could use...and ooooh. REALLY abrupt cut off. sad.gif

SF Battle 1 - So far, I like this one a lot more. The EQ seems pretty good on a lot of the instruments, though a couple still seem sort of dull. Oh yeah! and this is power rock, so it should have GUITARS!! YEAH! Chords and chops! Of course, I think everything should have guitars....^_^' Other than that, excellent job on this one. The drumline in particular is quite original, and that's a pretty neat sound you used at the beginning too! Only two other things I could think of. The bass drum could have a more sharply defined attack, and one other VERY small thing...I hear a small pop at the end of the file. Good job though.

My Home Sweet Home: The mix seems alright on this one. The only thing might be the reverb...IS that reverb, or is it supposed to be an echo? Because if it's reverb, then it's not a very tight reverb...I don't know if you can control the reverb's resolution, but you should look into it if you can.

Comet: Same thing with the reverb here...and the gain as well now that I listen to it. And as you say in your description, not very different from the original (in fact, I could almost swear that the timpani sample comes straight off the game). Very true to the original, and managed to bring back some memories for me, for sure.

FelixGregoryTrapper's tracks:

These are more or less of a single entity, so I shall treat it as such.VERY glad to see some more Sakuraba stuff here. Very shockingly accurate stuff there. Have you ever considered doing anything from Valkyrie Profile? I'd love to see some more of that stuff here, as would many other people. I'll certainly "settle" for Tales of Eternia though. Not my favorite Tales game, but still a solid soundtrack. By the way, for many people, the MIDIs will sound fairly dry. For those capable of doing so, I'd strongly recommend turning on some reverb for these. It'll make them sound more true to the originals as well. This is really top-notch work. Exactly the level of quality I strive for in my own Ys transcriptions. I suppose I could wish that you'd add some effects, like more panning, but meh...such are the hazards of accurate sequencing, no?

FFMusicDJ's tracks:

Falling Stars: I should mention right now that I'm a total sucker for trance style. I suppose the only thing I don't like about the style is how drawn-out it tends to be (for instance, did this track REALLY have to be eight minutes?), but of course, it could hardly be called a "trance" if it wasn't rhythmically drawn out. By the way, I detect a touch of oversampling. Is this done on purpose? Very cunning, if so. I personally think that oversampling can be good sometimes, if used right. Let's see...decent use of pass filters, and other effects, though I kept waiting to see if you'd do any low pass on the drums, but sadly, it never happened. hmm...the flange effect is a little overdone at times, but never tasteless. Man, you really CAN make anything sound like trance, can't you? I never would have thought it'd be a good style for this song, but...well, good job! I've often though about trying a trance myself, but alas, I haven't got a good set of samples for that style yet...OH! Nevermind! There's that low-pass on the drums, right there at the end! Very well done!

Force of Light: You know, I was JUST about to ask if you could do any non-Final Fantasy. I mean, really...we have WAY too many remixes for it now...er...sadly enough, this doesn't appear to work on my computer, so I cannot comment on it. Too bad, as I had high expectations after that previous one.

Tom Plet's "Sailing": Besides the main loop, nothing really changes much besides the drums...but I guess you DID warn us about that. Was that flange on purpose? I though it was kind of odd, to be honest. Anyway, a very good effort. There were a few interesting things in the drumline. Though I was surprised by the lack of hi-hats. I thought you drummers were CRAZY about that stuff.

Benefici's "Wedding Waltz": Sadly, I can't listen to this one either (argh!). Hmm...I thought Winamp 2 could play IT files?

Anyway, another very high quality update. Congratulations everyone! Now if you'll excuse me, I've got a prolonged appointment with addiction. *slobber*