If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Anime

Comments

• Zidane TribalZidane Tribal Banned Banned Users
    edited August 2007
    <div>
    (Zelgodes @ Aug. 28 2007,14:11)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE"><div>
    (Zidane Tribal @ Aug. 28 2007,15:18)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Believe it! thumbs-up.gif</div>
    My new least favorite two-word sequence. I mean, he could take a break from saying it every once in a while.</div>
    I can tell that got old during an episode of X-Play when Adam and Morgan bashed Shirtless Eric cosplaying as Naruto.

Adam: Believe what?! angry.gif

laugh.gif
  • Slayer of GodSlayer of God Member Full Members
    edited August 2007
    <div>
    (Zelgodes @ Aug. 28 2007,14:11)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE"><div>
    (Zidane Tribal @ Aug. 28 2007,15:18)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Believe it! thumbs-up.gif</div>
    My new least favorite two-word sequence. I mean, he could take a break from saying it every once in a while.</div>
    He hasn't said it in at least over 60 episodes, if not more than that.

Zidane, your smoke and mirror tactics do not work on me.

Within the spreading darkness, I pledged a vow to the revolution.
  • MiyosakaMiyosaka Member Full Members
    edited August 2007
    Well, if Zidane doesn't bash Naruto I will.

Actually, I won't, I just don't like it. It's formula is just a little too DBZ-ish, i.e., too Shonen for me. Finally, it does in fact suffer from one of the WORST dubs in the history of anime. Seriously, I'd take Voltron or Speed Racer over this. I'd even take Symphony of the Night over this.

Bleach suffers from DBZ-itis too, but for some reason I can stomach it more. Lead character gets beat, villain gloats and explains why he's so strong, lead character trains, comes back at dramatic moment and is dominant, etc. Also, both suffer from horrendous filler arcs that totally kill the rhythm of the show.

I'm stoked for the new Evangelion movies. I'll always love Cowboy Bebop and FLCL. I'm watching Code Geass now and its swell.
    thanks for reading
  • kittenofthepackkittenofthepack It bes a cat hat! Full Members
    edited August 2007
    <div>
    (Miyosaka @ Aug. 28 2007,18:00)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Finally, it does in fact suffer from one of the WORST dubs in the history of anime.</div>
    No that would be Sailor Moon. *represses bad memories*

And the Naruto fan girls scares me. *hides under a rock* But it's really popular with the female preteen crowd, I see a lot of manga and shrits with Naruto in the middle school crowd.
    edited August 2007
    <div>
    (kittenofthepack @ Aug. 28 2007,18:14)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE"><div>
    (Miyosaka @ Aug. 28 2007,18:00)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Finally, it does in fact suffer from one of the WORST dubs in the history of anime.</div>
    No that would be Sailor Moon. *represses bad memories*</div>
    Yeah dude. Saying Naruto has a worse dub than the examples you've given(and a lot of others that you didn't) is just ridiculous and frankly, stupid.
    edited August 2007
    <div>
    (Slayer of God @ Aug. 28 2007,18:34)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE"><div>
    (kittenofthepack @ Aug. 28 2007,18:14)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE"><div>
    No that would be Sailor Moon. *represses bad memories*</div>
    Yeah dude. Saying Naruto has a worse dub than the examples you've given(and a lot of others that you didn't) is just ridiculous and frankly, stupid.</div>
    Quite frankly, your tone is elitist and condescending. But thanks anyway for calling me stupid. I'll make sure to never make clearly hyperbolic statements in the future.
    thanks for reading
  • J_SenseiJ_Sensei Member Full Members
    edited August 2007
    The worst dub? All of them. Subs for the win! *flees* ^_^
    edited August 2007
    <div>
    (Miyosaka @ Aug. 28 2007,19:40)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">I'll make sure to never make clearly hyperbolic statements in the future.</div>
    Good idea.
    edited August 2007
    <div>
    (Slayer of God @ Aug. 28 2007,19:50)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE"><div>
    (Miyosaka @ Aug. 28 2007,19:40)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">I'll make sure to never make clearly hyperbolic statements in the future.</div>
    Good idea.</div>
    It's okay, I forgive you. No need to apologize.
    thanks for reading
  • Aquila HawkAquila Hawk O_o Full Members
    edited August 2007
    <div>
    (Miyosaka @ Aug. 28 2007,20:00)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Bleach suffers from DBZ-itis too, but for some reason I can stomach it more. Lead character gets beat, villain gloats and explains why he's so strong, lead character trains, comes back at dramatic moment and is dominant, etc. Also, both suffer from horrendous filler arcs that totally kill the rhythm of the show.</div>
    Bleach has only had one really bad filler arc, but it was only 10 episodes, so that is fine. People may mock the Bountou arc, but frankly, it flowed nicely, and added some more depth to the storyline while not subtracting from it. Ok, they have to keep acknowledging the arc's existence, a little clumsy at times, but otherwise it was a decent filler arc.

<div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">I'm stoked for the new Evangelion movies. I'll always love Cowboy Bebop and FLCL. I'm watching Code Geass now and its swell.</div>

Wo, wo, wo, WO! What's this about a new Evangelion movie? It ended. <span class="spoiler">What's left of Rei/Lilith is a giant rotting corpse spread across the Earth, almost the entire human race is a giant ocean of LCL, the Evangelion Series is all crucified on their artificial Lance of Longinus', Asuka is a vegitable, and Shinji is still a tool.</span>

<div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">And the Naruto fan girls scares me. *hides under a rock* But it's really popular with the female preteen crowd, I see a lot of manga and shrits with Naruto in the middle school crowd. </div>

The first president of my College Anime Club (Otaku Uprising) won on the platform of wearing a tee shirt that featured Rock Lee and the word Hentai. laugh.gif
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    AquilaHawk on Battle.Net: Currently playing Starcraft II
    edited August 2007
    <div>
    (Aquila Hawk @ Aug. 29 2007,11:17)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE"> <div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">I'm stoked for the new Evangelion movies. I'll always love Cowboy Bebop and FLCL. I'm watching Code Geass now and its swell.</div>

Wo, wo, wo, WO! What's this about a new Evangelion movie? It ended. <span class="spoiler">What's left of Rei/Lilith is a giant rotting corpse spread across the Earth, almost the entire human race is a giant ocean of LCL, the Evangelion Series is all crucified on their artificial Lance of Longinus', Asuka is a vegitable, and Shinji is still a tool.</span></div>
    Rebuild of Evangelion
    thanks for reading
  • Cassandra RamosCassandra Ramos Eternal Kyoshi Administrators
    edited August 2007
    Oh man, where to even start...Well, in case anyone here didn't know, my very Username is an anime or at least comes from an anime (I My Me! Strawbery Eggs). Though I watch Blood+, Bleach, Noein, and Tokko currently on TV, some of the anime I watch I bought on DVD. Sadly, I haven't bought much new anime in a while since the nearby Suncoast and Same Goody closed down and the nearest place (Best Buy) is a bit too far for one who doesn't drive.

My top five favorite series are

1. Sailor Moon
    2. Vandread
    3. I My Me! Strawbery Eggs
    4. Haibane Renmei
    5. Slayers
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• kittenofthepackkittenofthepack It bes a cat hat! Full Members
    edited August 2007
    <div>
    (Strawberry Eggs @ Aug. 29 2007,18:26)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Oh man, where to even start...Well, in case anyone here didn't know, my very Username is an anime or at least comes from an anime (I My Me! Strawbery Eggs). Though I watch Blood+, Bleach, Noein, and Tokko currently on TV, some of the anime I watch I bought on DVD. Sadly, I haven't bought much new anime in a while since the nearby Suncoast and Same Goody closed down and the nearest place (Best Buy) is a bit too far for one who doesn't drive.

My top five favorite series are

1. Sailor Moon
    2. Vandread
    4. Haibane Renmei
    5. Slayers</div>
    I have the same problem too. :| The suncoast at my local mall closed, and Best Buy move about 10 miles away from me.

Yay! A fellow Sailor Moonie. wink.gif
  • Aquila HawkAquila Hawk O_o Full Members
    edited August 2007
    Well, my two fave anime stores (FYE and Best Buy) are across the hall from each other at one of the local malls... about 10 miles away. However, that's for the really good selection. For a more limited selection, there is a FYE about 1.5 miles from my house. Nice walking distance. And unlike the Crossgates Mall FYE, their prices aren't completely jacked up.

Also, in regards to the new Evangelion. What did they do to Unit 01!?!?!? I mean, it looked freaky before, but damn, green and purple should never be next to each other like that. suspect.gif
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    AquilaHawk on Battle.Net: Currently playing Starcraft II
  • ZelgodesZelgodes A Mastermind!? Full Members
    edited August 2007
    <div>
    (Strawberry Eggs @ Aug. 29 2007,20:26)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">My top five favorite series are

1. Sailor Moon
    2. Vandread
    4. Haibane Renmei
    5. Slayers</div>
    Aww yeah
    edited August 2007
    The only thing I liked about The Slayers! was Naga for obvious reasons. Wouldn't mind having her as a traveling companion. wink.gif blush.gif
  • Vampire Hunter VVampire Hunter V Member Full Members
    edited August 2007
    Sensei/FrozenB: Thanks for the recommendations for Gundam. I'm planning to get my hands on the 0083 series first, then get the Zeta Gundam series.

I couldn't get into Gundam Seed from the 1st couple of episodes awhile ago but since it seems to be worthwhile I'll try to get deeper into it.
    edited August 2007
    If you're not going to watch the original MS Gundam, at least read a synopsis of the plot. A basic working knowledge of Zeon and the Earth Federation military will aid you a LOT in knowing who people like Amuro and Quattro Bajeena are. It's more important to understanding Zeta than 0083 is. 0083 just basically explains the creation of the Titans and sets the stage for Zeta.
  • Agent_009Agent_009 Member Full Members
    edited August 2007
    <div>
    (Aquila Hawk @ Aug. 30 2007,01:23)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Also, in regards to the new Evangelion. What did they do to Unit 01!?!?!? I mean, it looked freaky before, but damn, green and purple should never be next to each other like that. suspect.gif</div>
    I didn't see a big difference with 01 - it does look like they highlighted the green a bit in the trailers, but it still looks the way I remember it. Although, that screen-shot does encompass a lot of the green parts.

I enjoyed Gundam 0083 and I think that's a good series to pick up first, since it's not too long (13 eps). <span class="spoiler">I could do without that whole deal with carrots being the main character's bane though eh.gif .</span> Seed is good, but I wouldn't recommend Seed Destiny. I felt like they were all over the place with a "more of everything" mindset: characters, gundams, ships. <span class="spoiler">Like, one of the characters (blond dude) gets killed off after being introduced within a few episodes and I was completely baffled. I did enjoy Shinn being detained by Athrun, that was the satisfying moment of the series for me.</span>

Anyways, I'm like a page late on this subject, but I thought I'd throw in my thoughts and reminisce a bit.
    edited August 2007
    In regards to the Gundam SEED Destiny thing, <span class="spoiler">I think the reason they killed Heine was to show the futility of war. Even good pilots die, and the war just goes on. He also, however briefly it may have been, served as a bit of a mentor to Athrun. </span>

<div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">The only thing I liked about The Slayers! was Naga for obvious reasons. Wouldn't mind having her as a traveling companion. </div>

It's the laugh, isn't it. That was so hawt. Honestly, I'd take Lina over Naga in a heartbeat. I thought she was cuter.

edited August 2007
    <div>
    (J_Sensei @ Aug. 30 2007,19:14)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE"> <div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">The only thing I liked about The Slayers! was Naga for obvious reasons. Wouldn't mind having her as a traveling companion. </div>

It's the laugh, isn't it. ?That was so hawt. Honestly, I'd take Lina over Naga in a heartbeat. ?I thought she was cuter.</div>
    Yeah, I like how her laugh gets me all excited, too. Especially the body that belongs to the laugh. wink.gif laugh.gif

I must admit I've only seen The Slayers!: The Motion Picture, the one about Mipross Island (sic?). I might give the series a try if I could find them on DVD for new. As for Lina Inverse that grrl can eat not just a horse, but two horses! Must have a high metabolism or something like Goku/Kakarot. sarcasm.gif
    edited August 2007
    Man, you gotta get all up in the anim? and whatnot. It's silly and fun and awesome. Plus it has the greatest anim? character evar.

zelgadisiw4.jpg

Sexay.
    edited August 2007
    Gee, Zel, shameless plug much? rock.gif laugh.gif
    edited August 2007
    Always. At least I spell the name differently. That's actually just because I thought it was spelled Zelgodes, but I didn't have a source for that at the time of using it for a game. I just stuck with it.
    edited September 2007
    Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo somehow manages to get even more ridiculous - and thus, hilarious - every week. I love it. It's my weekly dose of insanity. biggrin.gif
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited September 2007
    <div>
    (Zidane Tribal @ Aug. 31 2007,13:25)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE"><div>
    (J_Sensei @ Aug. 30 2007,19:14)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE"> <div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">The only thing I liked about The Slayers! was Naga for obvious reasons. Wouldn't mind having her as a traveling companion. </div>

It's the laugh, isn't it. ?That was so hawt. Honestly, I'd take Lina over Naga in a heartbeat. ?I thought she was cuter.</div>
    Yeah, I like how her laugh gets me all excited, too. Especially the body that belongs to the laugh. wink.gif ?laugh.gif

I must admit I've only seen The Slayers!: The Motion Picture, the one about Mipross Island (sic?). I might give the series a try if I could find them on DVD for new. As for Lina Inverse that grrl can eat not just a horse, but two horses! Must have a high metabolism or something like Goku/Kakarot. sarcasm.gif</div>
    I'm all about being helpful.

http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin....0
    I imagine FUNimation will release TRY sooner than later. Though I wonder if they'll use the original dub Software Sculptors used. Hopefully it's the latter: It was an amazing dub.

Oh, and here's the movies:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • Cassandra RamosCassandra Ramos Eternal Kyoshi Administrators
    edited September 2007
    Ah yes Slayers, very excellent series indeed. ^_^ I have all three TV seasons on DVD as well as the first three OAV episodes (VHS) and three movies (Motion Picture, Return and Premium.) The TV series is better than the movies and OAVs in my opinion, especially Next and Try.

<div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">I imagine FUNimation will release TRY sooner than later. ?Though I wonder if they'll use the original dub Software Sculptors used. ?Hopefully it's the latter: It was an amazing dub.</div>

I thought Funimation kept the dub from the originals...or am I mistaken? My boxsets are the Software Sculptors ones.

300th post! Woo hoo!

Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited September 2007
    <div>
    (Strawberry Eggs @ Sep. 02 2007,00:09)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Ah yes Slayers, very excellent series indeed. ^_^ I have all three TV seasons on DVD as well as the first three OAV episodes (VHS) and three movies (Motion Picture, Return and Premium.) The TV series is better than the movies and OAVs in my opinion, especially Next and Try.

<div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">I imagine FUNimation will release TRY sooner than later. ?Though I wonder if they'll use the original dub Software Sculptors used. ?Hopefully it's the latter: It was an amazing dub.</div>

I thought Funimation kept the dub from the originals...or am I mistaken? My boxsets are the Software Sculptors ones.

300th post! Woo hoo!</div>
    I have all the Software Sculptors sets as well, but my Season 1 set is the first set, with the bad Japanese track. I've been thinking of replacing, especially with them being as cheap as they are ($40 for a whole season? YES), but I don't wanna lose the dub track either.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • CidolfasCidolfas Member Full Members
    edited September 2007
    Slayers Next is the funniest anime I've ever seen - yes, that includes Excel Saga, because that wasn't funny, it was just ridiculous.

<div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Anyways. I'm thinking of picking up Last Exile next time I'm near an anime store. </div>

Last Exile is absolutely stunning. Very recommended.
  • SilentwolfSilentwolf Only Silence Full Members
    edited September 2007
    OH, I am pissed off that at the end of Cowboy Bebop <span class="spoiler">they let Spike die. I mean, okay, I sort of expected it... but Spike was too cool to die >.< It's not fair. I mean, he recovered from all those other encounters with Vicious, why let him die now? Because it's the end of the anime? Oh don't give me that crap, Spike's had worse done to him and survived.</span>

It just burns my biscuits.
    Every sailor knows the tale
    of those becalmed at sea
    though at peace they can be found
    at peace they never be.