If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Anime

Comments

• Alex FullerAlex Fuller Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2013
    Clix wrote: »
    Yeah, but I was still very underwhelmed. It didn't feel like it needed the high quality of staff members to pull it off. For example, was Yoko Kanno really needed to arrange a bunch of jazz classics? Shouldn't most competent composers be able to do this simple tax? It's not like she even had to pick what she covered, because it was in the manga.

I see where you're coming from there. I'm probably a bit more lenient on those things as I'm a casual enough watcher to not really pay much attention to which staff worked on something and adjust expectations accordingly (although Yoko Kanno is one of the few I'm generally happy to see).
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • Cassandra RamosCassandra Ramos Eternal Kyoshi Administrators
    edited August 2013
    I finished watching all of Black Cat. It starts very strongly and has some pretty cool characters, but the plottting is odd in spots, especially the ending. Heck, the last few episodes are rushed and come suddenly. Sure, there were a few threads brought up in earlier episodes, but it still seems to come out of nowhere.

Ah well. I still quite enjoyed. Not a favorite by any means, but enjoyable.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• AncientRuneAncientRune Member Full Members
    edited August 2013
    can anyone recommend me some lesser known anime that isnt weeaboo bait and not mecca, also something that isnt violent/gore (a little bit is ok). Perfer something that isnt currently running as i would want to watch the whole thing all the way through, something that is keeping me from starting Attack on Titan which im interested in because of Hiroyuki Sawano's music.
    edited August 2013
    Obscure series, huh? I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "weeaboo bait" but if that's another way of saying "too much dumb fan serivce," then:

Haibane Renmei - 13 Episodes - 2002. A sort of slice-of-life series, but odd in that it deals with the lives of amnesiac angel-like beings called Haibane in a town that no one is allowed to leave. It mainly focuses on the newest Haibane, a girl named Rakka and becomes more dramatic near the end. Absolutely fantastic anime

Spiral (Spiral: Suiri no Kizuna) - 25 Episodes - 2002. A mystery series starring Ayumu Narumi, an intelligent but introverted young man who becomes entangled in the mystery of a group of people called the Blade Children. Despite many murders and murder attempts, the violence level is rather low and the sleuthing/logic puzzles level is high. It also focuses a fair bit on Ayumu's character development.

Princess Tutu - 26 Episodes - 2003. This series mixes magical girl elements and ballet into a sort of fairy tale. This series a girl named Duck/Ahiru, or rather a duck transformed into a girl, who can become the heroine Princess Tutu in order to restore the heart of a prince who is literally from a story book. It starts off pretty straight forward, but quickly becomes a story about fighting fate as it deals with a dead writer's unfinished tale taking on a life of its own.

Pretear - 13 Episodes - 2001. Has some fairy tale motifs (Himeno's family situation is similar to Cinderella; there are seven bishie Leafe Knight as replacements for the seven dwarves) but is more of a straight forward magical girl series. It's aimed at an older crowd than, say, Sailor Moon or Card Captor Sakura. Main protagonist Himeno Awayuki is an excellent character, as she has a positive attitude, but has her moments of weakness as well. She doesn't shirk away from her duties as the Pretear and even trains without someone telling her.

Gankutsuou : The Count of Monte Cristo - 24 Episodes - 2004. It's the classic novel by Alexandre Dumas IN SPACE. Actually, the futuristic setting doesn't affect as much as you might think, as the main difference is that the anime is told from Albert's point-of-view rather than one from the original book. The visuals are unusual in that the clothing of characters remain stationary, even while they move about. The visuals are interesting, but can be jarring.

Magic User's Club - 6 Episode OAV (1996) and 13 Episode TV series (1999). A wacky comedy series dealing with the klutzy Sae Sawenoguchi learning magic in club at her high school. Largely deals with her growth as a character and her interaction with her friends. The OAV series also involves an alien invasion, though the TV series feels more "natural" as far as the characters and themes go. I should note that the TV series picks up where the OAV leaves off, so you need to see those episodes first.

Gate Keepers - 24 Episodes - 2000. Takes places in the year 1969, which is rather unusual as far as anime goes. The world is being infiltrated by beings called the Invaders. They are fought by a highly secretive but massive organization called the Alien Exterminating Global Intercept System (A.E.G.I.S.). At the core of this organization are the Gate Keepers, people who can channel energies from other dimensions to use extraordinary powers. This series can be tongue-cheek and it usually doesn't get too serious, which makes it a fun anime.

I My Me! Strawberry Eggs - 13 Episodes - 2001. My namesake series; I My Me is about a man named Hibiki Amawa whose dream is to become a gym teacher. Unfortunately, the nearest school hiring has a strict female teachers-only policy, not because it's an all-girls school, but because the principal and vice principal are terrible misandrists who believe men are unfit to teach. Hibiki is angered and this plus his need to pay the rent forces him to take drastic measures: dress up as a woman, put on a voice changing device, and get the teaching job. Hilarity ensues, though there's a good bit of character interaction and drama as well.

They are all excellent series and with little stupid fan service (though MUC has a fair bit more than the others). The English voice acting ranges from good to great in all of them as well (I'm not that good at discerning Japanese voices, so I can't comment there.) I should also note that I My Me! and Gate Keepers are both out-of-print and probably not on any legal streaming sites. I would recommend Vandread and Shamanic Princess, but the former is mecha (really really good mecha, though!) and the latter can get rather violent.
    Bravely second...

• ClixClix Former Listmaster Full Members
    edited August 2013
    I'll second Strawberry Eggs on The Cavern King: The Count of Monte Cristo and Princess Tutu. Both are on Hulu (dub only for Tutu, but that's fine), and I think The Cavern King is one of FUNi's better series dubs in recent years, so you are good either way for that one.

Some other suggestions:

Revolutionary Girl Utena - 39 episodes - 1997 - Directed by the fabulously insane Ikuhara, Utena is a low-budget show that uses that fact to improve the experience, somehow. The first season is the introduction to the plot and characters; it begins to pick up more and more into the second and third season which takes those characters in runs as far as it can with each and every one of them. Now, the difficulty is finding it. YT has episodes 1-4 and episode 28-39, both sub and dub. If interested, try out the first four episodes there and then you can begin the hunt for more--if you are willing to pay for a month of premium, The Anime Network has the whole series uploaded but dub only. Personally, I like the dub for a few core performances, but it's not for everyone--most prefer the original Japanese cast.

Kino's Journey - 13 episodes - 2003 - Adapted from a light novel series (back when they had more tact), Kino's Journey is the episodic tale of a traveler on a talking motorcycle exploring the semi-recovered post-apocalyptic world. Kino acts as an observer and never stays in a city-state for more than 3 days. During that time, Kino takes in the culture and the people while remaining a neutral third party. The animation can be a bit odd at times, but the atmosphere and quality of the short stories makes for a relaxing but interesting show.

Beck - 26 episode - 2004 - A coming of age story crossed with the rise of a rock band. The story and characters are surprisingly realistic and subverts a lot of the issues normally found in underdog plots; despite their skills, the band is frequently screwed by fairly realistic issues, like corporate corruption, poor marketing, bad contracts, and nonexistent funding. The finale is a great triumph but at a bit of a cost. The dub is among Funimation's best, with all of the songs (which were original sung in heavily accented English) rerecorded with excellent English vocals from the show's actors. Both sub and dub are on Hulu.
  • ironmageironmage chaotic neutral observer SaskatoonFull Members
    edited August 2013
    I'm not sure what weeaboo bait means, either. I hope these series are obscure enough:

Planetes (26 episodes). Set in the near future, this is the account of a team who retrieves debris from Earth orbit before it becomes a hazard to navigation. This seems like an odd premise, but it works really well. Planetes is character driven, yet realistic enough to class as hard science fiction: there is no sound in space except for radio traffic (and background music), and they actually get zero-G physics right. No mecha in this one, but it has kind of a Patlabor feel.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes (銀河英雄伝説) (110 episodes). This is one of my personal favorites. It's an epic space opera with dozens of characters, and covering a vast intragalactic conflict. Sorta Babylon-5ish, but on a far larger scale, and with a much stronger focus on political and military aspects. But, the subject matter is rather heavy, it doesn't really get going until the second season, and it will be hard to find, so....
    The Anime Network has Tytania (26 episodes,same author). Same genre, same style, but shorter, more accessible, better animated, and not nearly as well done. If you like Tytania, just remember that LoGH is vastly superior. I don't recall the violence being that bad*, but no promises on these two.

Mushishi (26 episodes). The back of the box: "Neither good nor evil, they are life in its purest form. Vulgar and strange, they have inspired fear in humans since the dawn of time and have, over the ages, come to be known as 'Mushi'". This (episodic) series focuses on a wanderer who investigates Mushi-related phenomena. Very imaginative, very weird, and with extraordinary artwork.

Emma: A Victorian Romance (24 episodes). Love story between the son of an English gentleman and a housemaid. Sweet, innocent, sort of a late 1800's slice-of-life.

If you try (and like) Utena, Penguindrum has a similar tone. It's certainly weird enough. Overwhelming, isn't it?

(I want to add 'Samurai Champloo','Now and Then, Here and There', 'Starship Operators' and 'Crest of the Stars', but Champloo isn't obscure, 'Now and Then' can get pretty violent, and 'Starship Operators' and 'Crest of the Stars' are sometimes a bit fanservicey...)

Ditto on Kino no Tabi and Princess Tutu, and a nod towards Haibane Renmei.

*Excepting The Battle Of Vermillion (~ep.50) in LoGH. That one might give you nightmares. It's probably supposed to.

(Note to self: Rewatch LoGH. It's been long enough.)
    Only the livin' have the privilege of sayin' they'll fight ta the last breath.
    And words like conviction and resolve don't mean much to a dead man...
    --Raven (Tales of Vesperia)
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    edited August 2013
    Okay, weird/obscure stuff. A few of my favorites have already been mentioned... Kino's Journey and Mushi-shi are both awesome.

Baccano! is a short but fun series set in the prohibition era and features an immortal gangster. It's interesting in that the story is told completely out of order, so it can sometimes be hard to follow. Fantastic music.

Ergo Proxy is a pretty cool cyberpunk story in a post-apocalyptic world. Features robots that start to think and feel human emotion, and a guy who can somehow transform into a monster, the titular Ergo Proxy.

Ghost Stories - If you're going to watch this show, you HAVE to watch the dub, because that's the only reason it's any good. It's effectively a pretty lame kid's anime about a bunch of middle-schoolers with a haunted school. However, the group that dubbed it basically threw out all but the core elements of the story and just went wild. It's absolutely hilarious.
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
    edited August 2013
    by weeaboo bait i do mean lots of fan service cutesy characters/Moe and chibi and other immature themes/aesthetics. In other words more serious adult themed animes. The lesser know part was more because i know about the major stuff and want something new and refreshing.

Thanks for the recs i will check them out.
  • Miss_darkwoodMiss_darkwood Member Full Members
    edited August 2013
    I liked Pet shop of Horrors, dunno if it's considered obscure but definitely not run of the mill. It only has a few episodes and weird vibes...for sure...It left a rather deep impression in my mind. Edit: there might be some gore...but I have no idea how much is excessive for you.
  • JormungandJormungand Member Full Members
    edited August 2013
    OK, I would love some recommendations for two specific kinds of shows:
    1) Mecha, with unique/one-of-a-kind mecha units, special ones that are from ancient civilizations (or whatever). With a relatively serious/dramatic plot, characters, and dialogue. Along the lines of Xenosaga/Gears, Vanguard Bandits, Escaflowne, Evangelion.

2) Space/opera/dramatic sci-fi. I want something like Xenosaga or Xenogears: epic, complex, perhaps vaguely spiritual. No mecha necessary.

In the past I have enjoyed Vision of Escaflowne (but disliked the totally different and watered-down movie), Neon Genesis Evangelion (have not yet seen the "rebuild" series/OVA/whatever it is), Brain Powered (everyone line of dialogue contains or is entirely metaphor, also best music in a mecha show), Genesis of Aquarion (somewhat mediocre, but I enjoyed the story and music), Cowboy Bebop (my personal favorite), and Ghost in the Shell (both the movies and Stand Alone Complex). And it's not really science/speculative fiction aside from being post-apoc, but I enjoyed Wolf's Rain a lot.

I'm currently re-watching Gundam Wing, but have little interest in other Gundam material (Wing is about as shounen as I can stomach). I will be checking out Planetes, Legend of Galactic Heroes, and Tytania as per ironmage's recommendations.

I've also decided that Strawberry Egg's recommendation of I My Me! is compulsory viewing, me being a male teacher and all. ;) I'm happy to watch series like this, especially if they examine the teaching profession through a unique lens. So any other recommendations along these lines are appreciated.
    omegabyte wrote: »
    Ghost Stories - If you're going to watch this show, you HAVE to watch the dub, because that's the only reason it's any good. It's effectively a pretty lame kid's anime about a bunch of middle-schoolers with a haunted school. However, the group that dubbed it basically threw out all but the core elements of the story and just went wild. It's absolutely hilarious.
    Wait, so it's like MST3k/rifftrax in a way? I may have to hunt this down because that does indeed sound hilarious.
    edited August 2013
    I’ve got a series that is both mecha and a space opera: Vandread. The mecha are unique, though not ancient. The main and major characters are all excellently characterized and most undergo significant development over the course of the series. The story is grand in scope and fairly complex, with a number of well-executed plot twists. I will admit that the “relatively serious” part is questionable as it is a comedy, but it’s not parody and it does take itself seriously when comedy isn’t the focus. I should probably also state that there is some fan service.

Vandread takes place in the far future, when humanity has colonized several planets throughout the galaxy. On two of these planets, the men and woman have separated themselves, the males on Tarak and the females on Mejere and are highly mistrustful of each other. They constantly fight and most are not even aware they once lived together or are even part of the same species. Hibiki Tokai is a third-class citizen of Tarak who is sick of working in a factory day in and day out and decides to show off to his co-workers by stealing a Vanguard, a humanoid combat robot. He’s caught and locked up on the ship he tried to take the Vanguard from, but the ship is soon hijacked by a group of women pirates. Not wanting to admit defeat, the men fire missiles at the ship, but it somehow warps halfway across the galaxy. Hibki, along with two other men left on board now have to get along with their sworn enemies in order to get back to their home planets. Also, they come across strange aliens with plans to invade Mejere and Tarak which also attack them along the way.

The anime consists of two 13 episode seasons, Vandread and Vandread: The Second Stage. There are also two OAVs which condense both seasons into a single long episode each (you can probably skip those). The first season sets up the world and characters, but The Second Stage is where the anime really gets good as the plot, character development, and battles ramp up. FUNimation has the entire series both dubbed and subtitled on their website, so you can watch the first few episodes to see if it’s too your liking. On a final note, the English dub is excellent, with many recognizable anime/video game VA including Tony Oliver, Steve Blum, Wendee Lee, Julie Maddelena, Mary Elizabeth McGlenn, Julie Ann Taylor, Bridget Hoffman, Kirk Thornton, and even a minor role by Crispin Freeman.
    Bravely second...

edited August 2013
    Thanks for the summary! I'm intrigued, and I'm going to take advantage of FUNimation's site for this.
    On a final note, the English dub is excellent, with many recognizable anime/video game VA including Tony Oliver, Steve Blum, Wendee Lee, Julie Maddelena, Mary Elizabeth McGlenn, Julie Ann Taylor, Bridget Hoffman, Kirk Thornton, and even a minor role by Crispin Freeman.
    That's quite the all-star line-up. And coincidentally all had a role in Xenosaga! Respectively, that's Tony, Canaan, Mary, (additional voices), Doctus, Miyuki, KOS-MOS, Captain Matthews, and of course Albedo/Gaignun. Well now I just have to watch it. :)
  • Aquila HawkAquila Hawk O_o Full Members
    edited August 2013
    Now I know you said Xenogears/Saga like, but what about Xenosaga? They actually did a 12 episode series that roughly follows Xenosaga episode 1. Oh, and it's on Hulu. Eureka Seven: AO is also on there. I can't comment too much on it, since I have only seen a few episodes, but it is a sequel to Eureka Seven that takes place on Okinawa. Casshern Sins has that vaguely spiritual aspect in a post apocalyptic sci-fi world. It's kind of like a very dark Mega Man. Not by accident either, as the original Casshern was largely seen as the inspiration for Mega Man.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    AquilaHawk on Battle.Net: Currently playing Starcraft II
    edited August 2013
    I hope you enjoy it, Jormungand! ^^

Also, I have to roll my eyes at Funimation's tagline for Vandread: "If their enemies don't kill them, their hormones will!" Yeah, no. -_-; Yes there is innuendo, yes there is some fan service, yes it's aimed at a mostly male audience, but this tagline makes it out to be some kind of harem series. I don't remember Pioneer/Geneon's marketing for Vandread (it wzx the first company to license the anime for the USA release), but I would have remembered something like that. :P
    Bravely second...

edited August 2013
    Jormungand wrote: »
    OK, I would love some recommendations for two specific kinds of shows:
    1) Mecha, with unique/one-of-a-kind mecha units, special ones that are from ancient civilizations (or whatever). With a relatively serious/dramatic plot, characters, and dialogue. Along the lines of Xenosaga/Gears, Vanguard Bandits, Escaflowne, Evangelion.

2) Space/opera/dramatic sci-fi. I want something like Xenosaga or Xenogears: epic, complex, perhaps vaguely spiritual. No mecha necessary.

Weird. I own the soundtracks for several of the series you mentioned, even the ones I haven't seen. I'm a bit of a Yoko Kanno fan.

Anyway, if you want a mecha series in the same vein as Evangelion, you might look at Eureka 7, Xam'd, Rahxephon, or Gasaraki. I didn't care for Rahxephon much. Xam'd was pretty okay, but, Eureka 7 was the only one I remember still enjoying by the end. (BONES doesn't always do endings well.) I hadn't heard about Eureka 7:AO; I'll have to add it to the queue.

On the (light) space opera side, you could look at Crest of the Stars (then Banner of the Stars, then Banner of the Stars II). It's set against the backdrop of an emerging large-scale conflict, but the focus is smaller scale, pretty much the opposite of LoGH. The first season is more of a drama, with a romantic subplot. The second season is closer to classical space opera, with most of the episodes focused on a single battle. The FTL mechanics in this one are quite original; FTL occurs in two-dimensional "plane-space", with each ship generating a bubble of 3D space-time around it. Ships have to fuse their space-time bubbles at relatively close range before engaging, which makes battles in plane-space short and bloody. Not really all that Xenogearish, though, so I don't know if it will map to your interests.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes was never released domestically, so getting the Central Anime fansubs via bittorrent is probably the only way. Be warned that the animation is dated, and it really does start out pretty slow. I was probably around episode 20 or 30 by the time I realized what I was watching. Totally worth it. I hope you like Japanese-style exposition, and Wagnerian soundtracks. This series has a lot of side-stories, which I never got around to watching... :-(

FWIW, I very much watched Tytania through rose tinted-glasses. It's hard to explain, but I somehow recognized it as related to LoGH very shortly after the opening credits began, and my inner fanboy immediately lost all perspective.

Anyway, Vandread has now been mentioned too many times to ignore, so I guess I'm going to have to give it a watch.
    edited August 2013
    Now I know you said Xenogears/Saga like, but what about Xenosaga? They actually did a 12 episode series that roughly follows Xenosaga episode 1.
    Yeah, I've been meaning to watch it. I so far have avoided it because I've read it's not very good. But being as much as a Xeno fan as I am, I'm sort of obliged to get to it eventually. :)
    ironmage wrote: »
    Weird. I own the soundtracks for several of the series you mentioned, even the ones I haven't seen. I'm a bit of a Yoko Kanno fan.
    Same here. In fact, that's why I watched all those shows in the first place. Fortunately, Kanno has scored some of the better anime out there. I've watched every anime series/movie she's scored up through 2008ish. Darker than Black is next on my list. At first I thought of it as a study of good show-scoring; turns out I ended up enjoying a lot of it.
    Be warned that the animation is dated, and it really does start out pretty slow.
    I have no concerns about things that are dated: I consider Twilight Zone the greatest television show ever. Also, I tend to love stories that start slow.

Thank you all for all these recommendations. They're sure to keep me busy! I'll be looking into all of them.:)
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    edited August 2013
    Wait, so it's like MST3k/rifftrax in a way? I may have to hunt this down because that does indeed sound hilarious.

It's more like if you took Dragon Ball Z Abridged and turned it into a complete series of half hour episodes.

Here's some clips to give you an idea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxJ4VWoeOzs
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
  • SilentwolfSilentwolf Only Silence Full Members
    edited September 2013
    I'm posting at work like a naughty, but I thought I'd mention a passing recommendation for Attack on Titan, which I'm following as it slowly wraps up its first season. Although gory, the series has been an intriguing ride in the dystopian style of plot. It's certainly not like anything else I've seen for a while. I've had the mixed experience of being part of a rabid fandom that's built up around it, and that's a good bit of fun too - if nothing else, maybe give the first two episodes a watch if you're reading this and have a gap between times. It does a fair job of mixing CG in with animation too, which is always an interesting achievement. I'm not actually the biggest fan of the animation style it uses, but the CG it incorporates is really pretty gorgeous.
    Every sailor knows the tale
    of those becalmed at sea
    though at peace they can be found
    at peace they never be.
    edited September 2013
    Summer Season in Review (Chart):
    1. Brothers Conflict - I could only make it through one episode. It just screamed bad. Especially with Kamiya using his Mr. Penguin voice for an annoying talking squirrel.
    2. Righteous Gale!! Kanetsugu and Keiji - I like the retro designs, but episode one was boring and I felt like I was missing something to understand it all, so it ended up dropped.
    3. Free! - It was okay. I wouldn't even say different, just okay.
    4. Dongan Ronpa - Dropped after episode 1. The designs are godawful and everything about it screamed cancer for the eyes and ears.
    5. Servant X Service - It's like Working, but infinitely better! I loved the cast, and I really want a second season.
    6. The Sunday Without God - First episode bored me and left me largely unsatisfied, so I dropped.
    7. The Eccentric Family - Best show of the season. The author of The Tatami Galaxy delivered again. While not as strong as TTG, TEF is still memorable due to the cast.
    8. Prince of Hell: Devils and Realist - It was bad but I watched it for some reason. Really, its the last half the fumbles so damn hard. All build up goes nowhere, and the ending is bad (and badly animated--they reused to same animation sequence four times in a row).
    9. The World God Only Knows 3 - While I really wish they hadn't skipped ahead, the Goddess Arc is still a lot of fun, so it was good to revisit it with the anime.
    10. It's Not My Fault That I'm Not Popular! - Another good series this season, though hard to watch at times. And no, I do not relate to Momoko. But I have the annoying ability to auto-empathize with another's embarrassment as if it was my own. I frequently had to pause because of how painful the early episodes could get.
    11. Silver Spoon - The first episode was a tad weak, but it worked out in the end. I think it misses some of the magic of the original manga, but I look forward to season 2 next year.
    12. The Midnight Animals - Never saw anything for this series.
    13. Attack on Titan - I am so glad this is done. I will not miss its awful pacing and lackluster fantasy world. I may sit out a season two when/if that happens in a few years. I now fear what will be next year's SOA/AoT. With any "luck," it'll be SOA2, with AoT2 in 2015.

Continuing into Fall Season:
    1. Space Brothers - I think/hope the next set of episodes is the last. This section did fine since it continued hot on the heels of the plot advancement started last cour.
    2. -Story 2 - Well, I enjoyed Hanekawa's final storyline. I was a bit lukewarm on Hachikuji's story. I don't like Sengoku, but her storyline looks like it'll at least have a good amount of stuff happening to make it interesting.

Premiering in Fall Season: (Chart)
    1. Super Seisyun Brothers* - I predict bad incest and comedy, but let's see.
    2. Kyousougiga/Distorted Kyoto - I never saw the webseries, so I hope this is just a tv project and won't alienate me.
    2. Nagi no Asakura/Tomorrow's Calm - I like P.A. Works.
    3. Kill la Kill - I hope for further sanity from Trigger--with a budget exceeding $50.
    4. Golden Time* - It sounds bad, but the college aspect might let it stand out over the hundreds of high school counterparts.
    5. Yu-sibu/I Reluctantly Decided to Find a Job Because I Couldn't Become the Hero* - I can only pray for another surprise like The Devil is a Part-Timer. This title alone is scaring me, though.
    6. Log Horizon* - A new .hack? A new SOA? Something else? Let's find out.
    7. Daiya no A/Ace of Diamond - Yeah, sure, why not? It might be a good sports series, which I still find out that I'm slowing getting a bit into.
    8. SekaTsuyo/Wanna Be the Strongest in the World* - The concept got me to laugh, so I'll give it a quick shot.
    9. Walk
  • Alex FullerAlex Fuller Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2013
    Finished watching Steins;Gate last night, such a good series, easily slots into personal top 3. Helps that the English dub is superb, J. Michael Tatum in particular is excellent is Okabe. I also watched the first episode of Appleseed XIII, not off to a great start, really don't think the 3D style works but I'll keep at for another few at least.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
    edited October 2013
    I gave Vandread a try, but gave up on it around episode 17. The premise has potential (men and women live on different planets), which you think would be an opportunity to explore the differences between different genders/cultures. Instead, the characters are retreads of old anime stereotypes, that rarely deviate from predefined roles.

One of my breaking points was the portrayal of the medical staff. The female-operated pirate ship has a medical "officer"; one of their male prisoners-of-war is medically trained. The man almost immediately assumes the position of doctor, while the woman is put in the position of (barely competent) nurse. Do pirate ships seriously have no need of skilled medical staff? I don't consider myself a feminist, but writing characters into gender-defined roles in direct opposition to common sense is kinda offensive.

I'm quitting before I have to sit through a badly contrived onsen episode.
    edited October 2013
    Well, it would probably be hollow of me to say that Vandread does get better from episode four of the Second Stage. Actually, I think episode three of Second Stage is quite good. I swear there's no onsen episode or anything else similarly stupid. I disagree about the characters, that that's sort of subjective. You gave it a fair shake, though.
    Bravely second...

• TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited November 2013
    My wife and I are thinknig of going to Sabakucon in April dressed as Romeo and Juliet from Romeo x Juliet.
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • chealaxchealax New Member Full Members
    edited December 2013
    My wife and I are thinknig of going to Sabakucon in April dressed as Romeo and Juliet from Romeo x Juliet.

Those will be some sexy costumes. Do upload pics when you do it.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited December 2013
    chealax wrote: »
    Those will be some sexy costumes. Do upload pics when you do it.

Definately.

In other notes decided to brush off one of my Box set and watch Princess Nine.
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
    edited December 2013
    I recently finished E's Otherwise, which I can't help but think of as an not-as-good s-CRY-ed. The ending smacks of "find out more in the manga!" too.

For Christmas I got boxsets for Steins;Gate, Chrono Crusade, and Ultra Maniac, and I started watching that last one. It's a release by Geneon that I somehow missed. I've only seen the first volume/four episodes, but it's cute so far, and I find that Carrie Savage is an excellent fit for Nina Sakura. It's uncommon to see shojo manga get animated, though this one has a magical bent to it.
    Bravely second...

edited January 2014
    Fall Season in Review (Chart)
    1. Super Seisyun Brothers - Never saw it available.
    2. Distorted Kyoto - One of the better shows the season with a lot of heart, though I felt the ending wasn't as strong as the body of the plot and sidelined too many characters.
    3. I Reluctantly Decided to Find a Job Because I Couldn't Become the Hero - I dropped in the first five minutes due to unwanted fanservice.
    4. Log Horizon - I just didn't care after the first episode, and the premise seems stupid. I shouldn't be surprised as it is from the author of DemRo.
    5. I Wanna Be the Strongest in the World - I didn't expect anything else, but still, too much fanservice for me.
    6. Walk
    edited January 2014
    I adore Kill la Kill. It's so spectacularly, gloriously, stupidly, hilariously over-the-top. The fan service may be borderline offensive, but it works in context, and just serves to make the whole thing funnier.

Log Horizon is my fluff series of the season. I suspect it of being an imitation of Sword Art Online (but without going to the effort of actually justifying the premise), but it's light-hearted, inoffensive, and amusing enough to watch, without actually requiring any intellectual commitment from the viewer. Highly recommended if you just want to veg out, or are having an attack of insomnia; otherwise, not so much.

I'm glad Silver Spoon is being continued; I rather like it so far.

I'll add Rose of Versailles to my queue.
    edited January 2014
    in case anyone hasnt seen it yet Attack on Titan is now on netflix
  • goateguygoateguy Member Full Members
    edited January 2014
    I am currently going back and rewatching an anime from about 10 years ago: Wild Arms. I found out about this anime right after going through a chunk of Wild Arms 2 and was looking for new anime the moment I left for college. Incidentally, this was the specific cause of me going back to "find" a copy of Wild Arms 1 to play, which is did enjoy before other games came along and stole my attention away. Next on my list of anime to watch (again) is .hack//SIGN.

Btw, the best anime specific composer is Yuki Kaijiura....bar none. :-p
    If I don't make it home, tell my wife I said Hello.

--Neutral Planet President

You can find awesome fractal art at my website: http://goateeguy.deviantart.com