If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Anime

Comments

• ClixClix Former Listmaster Full Members
    edited January 2014
    Kajiura is #2. Yoko Kanno is queen.
  • goateguygoateguy Member Full Members
    edited January 2014
    Yeah, I should really listen to her....too busy with work to get some of her stuff.
    If I don't make it home, tell my wife I said Hello.

--Neutral Planet President

You can find awesome fractal art at my website: http://goateeguy.deviantart.com
  • ironmageironmage chaotic neutral observer SaskatoonFull Members
    edited January 2014
    goateguy wrote: »
    Yeah, I should really listen to her....too busy with work to get some of her stuff.

If you want an introduction to Kanno, Macross Plus (the 4-part OVA, rather than the movie), Escaflowne, Cowboy Bebop, and Ghost in the Shell: Standalone Complex are all fine choices.
    Only the livin' have the privilege of sayin' they'll fight ta the last breath.
    And words like conviction and resolve don't mean much to a dead man...
    --Raven (Tales of Vesperia)
    edited January 2014
    Oh! She did SAC? I have a copy of that somewhere on my laptop. It's been too long I've listened to it last, so I couldn't give a review of it, but now that I have been reminded that she did that,I will have to go back and listen to it again.

• JormungandJormungand Member Full Members
    edited January 2014
    SAC is pretty much one of the greatest achievements of modern soundtracks. There's a bit of plagiarism here and there, but c'est la vie.

SAC OST 3, in particular, is exceptional. Kanno is, indeed, the indisputable master of anime scoring. There's really no one else that comes close--except for Tsuneo Imahori, who is tragically not nearly as prolific as Kanno is (or once was). Probably because he's too busy playing guitar on all of Kanno's scores. ;)

Just because I can, some of Kanno's finest anime work. There's just nothing that can match them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kyv-TKjM3o4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Bvw1IVavhY&list=PLIGqAt-MVv2Jip8hyvzIfSP47LFEfB-4V
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p71asM0-3OQ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwR-cKU9Kvc
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWeMVNEwMAA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCcrVxZAiN8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMhIsNH5lhE&list=PL8A3B479648B3ABE8
    (Here was going to be Sonata of Legendary Technique from Genesis of Aquarion OST 2, but it seems youtube has gone on a removal spree at the behest of Victor Entertainment)

Thank you AncientRune for the tip on Attack on Titan. I'm now watching it on Netflix. I'm pretty impressed so far, and I'm usually pretty picky.
  • Cassandra RamosCassandra Ramos Eternal Kyoshi Administrators
    edited January 2014
    Kanno and Kajiura are pretty much the only composers who I care about in anime. I rarely pay attention to anime soundtracks (never mind to the extent I do video game ones), but their soundtracks are always excellent.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

edited January 2014
    Jormungand wrote: »
    Just because I can, some of Kanno's finest anime work. There's just nothing that can match them: ...

Oh dear. Excellent choices, but you missed most of my favorites. I won't stand for it.

Blue

Velveteen

Chain

Rain

Green Bird

The Singing Sea

軍靴の記憶
    (Just for fun, contrast that with this. Kanno's range is ...sometimes rather frightening. )

I seem to be missing several. I guess making a short list of favorites is harder than I thought.

And because it matches my avatar: 3.14
    edited January 2014
    Actually, the Manga is more centered around other characters, from what I heard. Namely, Tate Yuuichi. The anime is much more centered around Mai. And it has fun songs with made up words (turns out Mezame by Kajiura Yuki doesn't really have real words).
    Kanno and Kajiura are pretty much the only composers who I care about in anime. I rarely pay attention to anime soundtracks (never mind to the extent I do video game ones), but their soundtracks are always excellent.

Gah!! I beseech thee to listen to .hack//sign ost 1&2! It is a can't miss!

edited January 2014
    Tsuneo Imahori, Kohei Tanaka, Kenji Kawai, Hajime Mizoguchi, and Akifumi Tada are also worth looking into.

Actually I'm just going to go ahead and say that everyone reading this needs to go listen to Gungrave's OST immediately. It will change your life.
  • Cassandra RamosCassandra Ramos Eternal Kyoshi Administrators
    edited January 2014
    I will have to look more into those composers and their work. Thanks, Jormungand!
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

edited January 2014
    I was wondering if sword art online would be worth watching? Especially considering how much I am into the .hack franchise.

• DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited January 2014
    I was wondering if sword art online would be worth watching? Especially considering how much I am into the .hack franchise.
    Don't...just don't. It's good up until episode 6, then it falls downhill from there.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    edited January 2014
    Don't...just don't. It's good up until episode 6, then it falls downhill from there.

And even then, those earlier episodes are plagued by some schizophrenic pacing and themes. Watching it in broadcast, it isn't so apparent, but a marathon quickly reveals how disjointed the atmosphere is in those early episodes. The highs and lows are all so blatantly forced and manipulative--I did cry when they wanted me to, but that's not necessarily a good thing. Furthermore, even those that like the series generally only like the first half (Sword Art Online) and tend to dislike the second half (Alfheim Online). One of the biggest issues, though, is how flat the primary characters are. Kirito and Asuna are so by-the-book for their roles that their names are their only points of individuality within a meta-narrative sense. That's not to say the lacks decent characters; just about everyone else would be a more compelling lead. Finally, the villains are so stupidly evil that it makes no sense they were ever even able to orchestrate half of what they pulled off.

Basically: You will need to suspend every sense of disbelief and turn off every brain cell unrelated to reading and breathing if you wish to seek enjoyment.
    Spoiler:
    And yet I may very well watch season 2 for the hell of it. At least this one has production values, unlike the Attack on Titan series.
    edited January 2014

I would say SAO is entertaining, but optional. The premise is rather interesting (from an SF perspective), but the series itself isn't anything spectacular. The general production quality is pretty good, although I thought the storytelling was sometimes a bit disjointed, especially near the beginning.

It has some interesting dramatic moments, some politics, some romance, but it doesn't stray too much from the standard shounen tropes. The second half is... a bit... weird?

I guess I consider it fluff anime. For fluff anime, it's pretty good, but it isn't High Art. I doubt I'll remember much about it in a couple years.

I wouldn't go out and buy the DVDs or anything, but it's probably worth watching a couple episodes on Crunchyroll.

--
    Edit:
    Clix wrote: »
    Basically: You will need to suspend every sense of disbelief and turn off every brain cell unrelated to reading and breathing if you wish to seek enjoyment.

Yep, that's why I consider it "fluff".
    edited February 2014
    Alrighty. It's good to hear all of these recommendations. What should I watch if i wanted something in the vein of .hack? Or does the anime landscape only have room for 1 show like that? lol

• Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2014
    Alrighty. It's good to hear all of these recommendations. What should I watch if i wanted something in the vein of .hack? Or does the anime landscape only have room for 1 show like that? lol

Well, there are three .hack// series plus a 3-part OVA series. Have you seen them all? .hack//SIGN, .hack//Legend of the Twilight (sometimes translated as .hack//DUSK), .hack//Roots, and .hack//Quantum.

.hack//Legend of the Twilight is pretty meh, it's not really much like .hack//SIGN at all. But .hack//Roots is the prequel to the .hack//G.U. games and is pretty decent. Fairly similar to //SIGN in themes, as well. Quantum is the OVA and the most recent. It's pretty cool, just really short.
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
    edited February 2014
    I have seen all of those except for Quantum. I even saw Liminality..which has a pretty OST to go with it. :P

Lol, but I guess I should have phrased that differently, I meant other anime brand? Lol, I just meant something outside of the .hack franchise of anime but still within the vein of MMO (or video game)-as-anime-setting.

edited February 2014
    Finished watching Attack on Titan and really enjoyed it. I was surprised by the high quality of the series, in both narrative and animation. I kept wanting to know what would happen next. I also knew by about episode 20 that there was no way this first season could possibly resolve in a satisfactory way.

That said, I think I missed something in the story because there seems to be one major plot hole:
    Spoiler:
    When General Pixis is introducing Eren to the military and announces his Titan-transforming powers, he also says that this is the result of a secret government experiment. However, I don't recall this ever being discussed previously by Eren or anyone else. And they never do get to Eren's home to check the basement to discover the truth. So where did Pixis get all this stuff about the "secret experiment"? (And Eren doesn't seem especially concerned about it either).

In fact, though I found the storytelling mostly excellent, I was driven to great frustration by the lack of focus on the reason for Eren's powers.

Anyway, if you've got Netflix and haven't watched it, you've got to check the show out.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited February 2014
    I've read several chapters of the manga and watched 2 episodes of the anime, it never grabbed me. Didn't seem that interesting to me either.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • TwinBahamutTwinBahamut Staff Healer RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2014
    Finished watching Attack on Titan and really enjoyed it. I was surprised by the high quality of the series, in both narrative and animation. I kept wanting to know what would happen next. I also knew by about episode 20 that there was no way this first season could possibly resolve in a satisfactory way.

That said, I think I missed something in the story because there seems to be one major plot hole:
    Spoiler:
    When General Pixis is introducing Eren to the military and announces his Titan-transforming powers, he also says that this is the result of a secret government experiment. However, I don't recall this ever being discussed previously by Eren or anyone else. And they never do get to Eren's home to check the basement to discover the truth. So where did Pixis get all this stuff about the "secret experiment"? (And Eren doesn't seem especially concerned about it either).

In fact, though I found the storytelling mostly excellent, I was driven to great frustration by the lack of focus on the reason for Eren's powers.

Anyway, if you've got Netflix and haven't watched it, you've got to check the show out.
    I rather liked Attack on Titan, too. I hope they create another season, because I really want to see what happens after that point.

As for the spoiler text...
    Spoiler:
    I'm certain that the general was just flat out lying there. The army didn't know about Eren, but it would have been bad for morale and the government's authority for them to publicly admit such a thing. The idea that the goverment had created a super-soldier capable of fighting the Titans would be a convenient myth that would encourage the troops. Basically, just lie for political reasons.
    edited February 2014
    From what I understand of the manga, I still don't think they've reached the basement--it's apparently one of the most important milestones within the series. Then again, other than random and silly spoilers, I don't know much else that will come to pass, and I have no intention of watching season 2 sometime next year, since I thoroughly disliked the series (poor pacing, mediocre story within an otherwise interesting setting, Tetsuro Araki's over-the-top direction* that mismatches the actual content, and bad animation**).

*Araki is the director of Death Note and responsible for much of the iconic and ridiculous imagery and scenes, like the "I'll take a potato chip AND EAT IT!!" scene often lampooned on the net. Since DN deals with an otherwise unlikable villain protagonist, this direction breaths in a light breeze that keeps Death Note as a more mass-appeal series with the veneer of something more high-minded. For AoT, this same style of direction only undermines any of the gravitas invited by the setting. Probably the best example is the scene on top of the wall right before the Trost Arc. The sudden mood-shift goes beyond jarring to the point of actual comedy. I had to pause and laugh for a good ten seconds when watching that episode. However, AoT needs as much gravitas as it can because the general concept otherwise is surprisingly light (monster vs. monster).

**Now, there are some obvious scenes of neat animation tricks, namely when focusing on the free-running of the 3D Maneuver. But, these are far and few between for a 26 episode series. Furthermore, there are many still-frames and other very cheap and noticeable effects used throughout, even at the beginning. It was clearly made on a smaller budget (something that may be remedied for a second season). This is in striking contrast to AoT's popcorn predecessor, Sword Art Online. The latter has very high production values throughout, even though the content itself is just as vapid as AoT (hence why I am way more likely to watch SOA's next season than I am of AoT's).

Finally, I apologize if it sounds like I am explicitly trying to take a piss on your parade, but I really never have had an opportunity to vocally express my dislike of the series, so this is a tad therapeutic.
    edited February 2014
    I'm a fan of AoT, and am looking forward to a second season, but I don't know how highly I'd rate it. It sometimes felt like the story was structured just to provoke a reaction in the audience, and I thought the main characters weren't really much more than extensions of existing anime stereotypes. They might be well done executions of those stereotypes, but their motivations weren't particularly complex.
  • TwinBahamutTwinBahamut Staff Healer RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2014
    I wouldn't really agree with the idea that the characters in AoT are just stereotypes who lack complexity... Honestly, I think part of the appeal of the anime is how the main cast seems to be a giant mass of contradictions. Eren's mix of genuine fear and trauma regarding the Titans, his brash confidence, his very complicated relationship with Mikasa which is largely defined on his side by how he feels suffocated and ashamed by her skill and overprotectiveness (even as she has a very different understanding of their relationship)... A lot of contradictory things motivate him, and it makes him feel more real and makes him interesting. That scene where he
    Spoiler:
    laughs off the threat posed by the Colossal Titan, but then freaks out and freezes up at the thought of an ordinary one
    does a lot to highlight that from early on.

At the same time, the story flat out subverts many of the tropes of the shonen action genre (
    Spoiler:
    trusting in the strength of his newfound friends is going to be one of Eren's greatest regrets
    ). If nothing else, the whole series is a giant tangle of intense conflicting emotions, and it constantly exists in a gray area where every triumph is tainted by tragedy, mistakes, and morally questionable decisions.

Honestly, if that isn't worth being called complex, I'm not sure what is.

Sure, the series has a lot of shock value for its own sake, but a lot of what it does is genuinely good. I've certainly seen much worse!
    edited February 2014
    I wouldn't really agree with the idea that the characters in AoT are just stereotypes who lack complexity... Honestly, I think part of the appeal of the anime is how the main cast seems to be a giant mass of contradictions. Eren's mix of genuine fear and trauma regarding the Titans, his brash confidence, his very complicated relationship with Mikasa which is largely defined on his side by how he feels suffocated and ashamed by her skill and overprotectiveness (even as she has a very different understanding of their relationship)... A lot of contradictory things motivate him, and it makes him feel more real and makes him interesting. That scene where he
    Spoiler:
    laughs off the threat posed by the Colossal Titan, but then freaks out and freezes up at the thought of an ordinary one
    does a lot to highlight that from early on.

Eren's bravado is what makes me consider him something of a stereotype. He's a variant on the shounen heroic type, who doesn't give up, fights against impossible odds, inspires his comrades, etc. That he reacts realistically (with fear) at times is what makes him a well executed stereotype, rather than a cliche. But what does he want, other than to kill Titans, and protect his comrades? If you took Eren out of his environment, and dropped him somewhere without any Titans to kill, who would he be?

Other than that he wanted to join the Recon Corps since he was young, I don't really know much about him.

It's true that following the shounen hero pattern results in him making mistakes, sometimes tragically (
    Spoiler:
    the squad getting wiped out in the forest being a prime example
    ), but he still tends to follow that pattern.

Mikasa's unconditional devotion to Eren felt somewhat artificial to me. A female character who is entirely focused on the male protagonist seems more like fantasy wish-fulfilment than good character design, and it doesn't help that the not-blood-siblings trope has been going around a bit lately. Yes,
    Spoiler:
    Eren saved her life when they were children
    (it was a really good sequence), but that's no justification for having her become as obsessed as Inoue Orihime. (I'm hyperbolizing a bit here, but my point is that she's following an existing pattern).

To keep this all in context, I do quite like these characters. But, I kept having this nagging suspicion that they were constructed specifically to fill their roles, and hadn't quite crossed the line to becoming real people (at least not in my mind).
    At the same time, the story flat out subverts many of the tropes of the shonen action genre (
    Spoiler:
    trusting in the strength of his newfound friends is going to be one of Eren's greatest regrets
    ). If nothing else, the whole series is a giant tangle of intense conflicting emotions, and it constantly exists in a gray area where every triumph is tainted by tragedy, mistakes, and morally questionable decisions.

Honestly, if that isn't worth being called complex, I'm not sure what is.

Well, now, I was talking about the characters' motivations, not the plot. I'm certainly not going to claim the plot lacks complexity (it's the best part of the show).
    edited February 2014
    I was especially surprised to read that the mangaka is younger than I am. I'm both impressed and a bit distressed as, at 28, I have yet to sell a gazillion copies of anything.

The most intriguing part of the story, for me, is the origin of the Titans. And it seems this still isn't clear in the manga, and won't be for some time. This means even if a second anime season is produced (and it surely will be following its success), it won't reach the point in the story that I most want it to.

My annoyances of the series come from the nonsequiter comic scenes (such as basically any scene with what's-her-name, the one who is obsessed with food). Fortunately they are few and far between. The music is also throwaway. Between this, Gundam Unicorn, and some other anime I've forgotten the name of, the soundtrack for Monolith Soft's X isn't looking too promising.

But there's great tension in the show. The humans are so ruthlessly overpowered at almost every turn. It was frustrating watching a certain enemy titan continue eluding escape toward the end of the first season; and then there's the terrible realization that some of these giant monster things are actually intelligent.

But I still want to know where they came from and what their purpose is. I'm impressed by shows that make me want to learn more about their universe. So, in my mind, Attack on Titan did its job as an entertaining show.
  • AncientRuneAncientRune Member Full Members
    edited February 2014
    I was especially surprised to read that the mangaka is younger than I am. I'm both impressed and a bit distressed as, at 28, I have yet to sell a gazillion copies of anything.

The most intriguing part of the story, for me, is the origin of the Titans. And it seems this still isn't clear in the manga, and won't be for some time. This means even if a second anime season is produced (and it surely will be following its success), it won't reach the point in the story that I most want it to.

My annoyances of the series come from the nonsequiter comic scenes (such as basically any scene with what's-her-name, the one who is obsessed with food). Fortunately they are few and far between. The music is also throwaway. Between this, Gundam Unicorn, and some other anime I've forgotten the name of, the soundtrack for Monolith Soft's X isn't looking too promising.

But there's great tension in the show. The humans are so ruthlessly overpowered at almost every turn. It was frustrating watching a certain enemy titan continue eluding escape toward the end of the first season; and then there's the terrible realization that some of these giant monster things are actually intelligent.

But I still want to know where they came from and what their purpose is. I'm impressed by shows that make me want to learn more about their universe. So, in my mind, Attack on Titan did its job as an entertaining show.

I see what you are saying about Sawano and im worried too. I think his music here is great though but i am skeptical on how his music will fit in a JRPG video game format, beating Xenoblade's soundtrack is going to be pretty much impossible. I got bored with AOT after the first major plot twist

So i have been watching the samples of various Anime on the Crunchyroll ps4 app and some were ok but none of them so far have been as interesting as I would like but 3 of them did stand out a little.

First off is Kill la kill which I thought was terrible, i loath the art style and unlike AOT I hated Sawano's music here. The show itself is just too over the top and iroically the random fan service is the least of its issues, no idea how this got as popular as it did.

Second one was Nisekoi which is new and stupid but did have some funny parts at least, the plot twist can be seen coming from the moment the main characters are introduced, its the whole boy and girl who hate each other and are forced to date/insert trope here. However every time the Yakuza gang members (main characters dads are from rival gangs) fight each other its pretty funny.

And last but not least is the worst anime in existence is Recently, My Sister is Unusual. Holy crap stay away from this garbage. I actually had to watch this online because the app would not play it with good reason, this is fanservice at its worst, featuring incest, sexualized yuri and othe bs fanservice tropes. The gist of it is girl is possessed by a ghost who needs sexual energy to pass on to the afterlife so to get it she puts the main character step sister in a chastity belt that fills with energy when something sexual happens. Seriously in the first episode we get a rape yuri masturbation scene. This anime is just trash and should be thrown away and what makes it worse is I saw the censored version.
    edited February 2014
    First off is Kill la kill which I thought was terrible, i loath the art style and unlike AOT I hated Sawano's music here. The show itself is just too over the top and iroically the random fan service is the least of its issues, no idea how this got as popular as it did.

Being over the top is the whole point of Kill la Kill. It takes common, overdone action anime elements, and amplifies them beyond the bounds of sanity, so that you can see just how ridiculous they really are. If this series was intended seriously (or if you try to take it seriously), it would be a disaster, but as presented, I think it's absolutely hilarious.

Kill la Kill #16 was the best compilation episode ever. Non-story spoiler: Senketsu thanks you for watching the series, informs you it's a compilation episode, and then
    Spoiler:
    blasts through a summary of the series in about a minute.
    Senketsu wrote:
    Spoiler:
    Those of you whose hearts sank at the words "compilation episode," rest easy! Kill la Kill is known for its lightning pace! Even our compilation episodes are wrapped up in the teaser! The episode proper begins right now!

I almost died.
    edited February 2014
    Clix wrote: »
    1. Rose of Versailles - A masterpiece. Go watch it. It's on CrunchyRoll, for free. It has some aged aspects, but it's just so mesmerizingly good. I loved every moment, even the first arc with the silly court politics. The only week aspect is the likely anime-only first episode made to altered the beginning from the manga's Marie Antoinette focus to Oscar (the manga is the story of Marie Antoinette from beginning to end; the anime, however, was made before the manga ended, but is able to follow the entire story of the secondary protagonist, Oscar).

Rose of Versailles turned out to be one of the best series I've seen. I can't even find anything to compare it to, although I think Legend of the Galactic Heroes may have drawn some inspiration from it. They both include spoilers in the next episode previews, anyway. :-/

What appeared to be subtle inconsistencies in the presentation of Oscar's character actually turned out to the seeds of major character development. Oscar's character is almost never revealed through her words, only through her actions.

This series is required viewing for all anime fans. Non-anime fans should watch it, too; it may be animated, and produced in Japan, but those are just technicalities. It pretty much ignores the standard anime tropes.

I owe you one, Clix.
  • Alex FullerAlex Fuller Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2014
    There's been a few things I've finished/started since I last posted it seems. Linebarrels of Iron - Starts out annoying due to very unlikeable main character, gets better fairly quickly after he gets some character development and ended up being pretty watchable if nothing particularly great. Not one to go out of your way to watch though, loads better out there.

Bakemonogatari & Nisemonogatari - An odd combination of very enjoyable and very uncomfortable with where it takes the humour sometimes. It did seem to be growing out of the more uncomfortable stuff towards the end, so I hope Monogatari Second Season doesn't revert back into it too much that if it does get released here. Enjoyable but definitely not for everyone.

Appleseed XIII - Started out pretty boring in the first few episodes, but has picked up a lot since, and currently just over half way through. Still quite a bit harder to follow what's actually going on than I'd like, but at least there does seem to be something happening, which wasn't too apparent at the start. The 3D animation doesn't really work, it's not a particularly good example of it and the high contrast doesn't really help things. Again, not one to go out of your way to watch, loads better out there.

Sword Art Online - I'm about a third of the way through and enjoying it, but nowhere the best series I've seen. It's very good at evoking tearjerker moments, but also very obvious about what it's doing. Characters also aren't all that interesting so far either, although are likeable enough. Pretty good, nothing really amazing yet.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
    edited March 2014
    Finished watching Vandread. I was... not especially impressed. As I was warned, it was mostly a lighthearted affair. Which is a shame, as there are some great story ideas embedded in there. Instead the focus was on incomprehensible CG action sequences, slapstick sexual tension, and a child who interacted with other crew members via hand puppet.

OVAs can either be uncomfortably derivative and ultimately harmful to their parent series (Escaflowne) or a smooth, logical sequitur that play like an extended episode (Cowboy Bebop). I wonder which one Vandread's is. The OVA is on Funimation, but at the moment I'm not convinced it's worth it.