If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Anime

Comments

• Cassandra RamosCassandra Ramos Eternal Kyoshi Administrators
    edited March 2014
    The OAVs are literally condensed versions of the two seasons with maybe an extra new scene or two. They're not especially worth it, even if you're a fan. It sounds like it would be an especial shame to The Second Stage, where I feel the plot and characterization really shines as they kick into high gear, with the previous season more of introducing the world and the characters.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    edited March 2014
    So should I be excited that Viz now has every episode of Ranma 1/2 up for streaming on their site and have announced BluRay releases? Or should I channel my excitement into the first anime I ever bought (and it's a preorder) for the Attack on Titan dub?
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
  • ClixClix Former Listmaster Full Members
    edited March 2014
    I just realized I never actually posted this. For the two people that will read this, enjoy!

BEST AIRED IN 2013
    1. -Story Season 2 - After the massive disappointment that was 2011's Impostery, it was nice to see the -Story series back in true form. However, what made the "second" season stand out so greatly was its fundamental change to the narrative. The majority of the stories featured in -Story 2 are not narrated by Araragi. While certainly a fun narrator, the season grew deeper with the point of views of the other characters in their arcs. Finally, the last element that places it over the original Ghostory is that of "completeness." While still not 100% polished (see the Blu-ray comparisons), this season lacked almost all of the buget/time-contraint issues that plagued the TV run of the first season. Overall, I look forward to the next coming up in 2014 (and the movie, when/if that happens).
    2. From the New World - The very beginning can be a bit difficult to get into, largely due to the glaring animation issues early on. Furthermore, the intitial episodes can feel like info-drops due to their novel origins. Nevertheless, the payoff is worth it. Likely one of its best aspects is its atmosphere in certain segments towards the end. It nicely captures the horror-survival feel of a classic thriller. The only warning I can give is that homophobes might find it "triggering."
    3. Flowers of Evil - One of the best animated series in a long time, though not necessarily the best directed. The rotoscope process is not for everyone, but the style supports constant movement, while still remaining just off to give a sense of inhumanity. This disjointed reflection of reality captures the general themes of extreme adolencent anxieties. The biggest weakness is that the climax occurs half-way through the series; a second season is needed to return to those stakes once more, but it will likely never happen.
    4. Chihayafuru 2 - The second season of Chihayafuru mostly suffered from a slightly weaker pacing than the first season. The two cour show covered all it needed to cover, but the content might have been just a smidge stretched out, noteably in the middle. Luckily, the addition of two new characters helped keep things afloat, though only the new female character felt really fleshed out. I want another season, but I also want them to wait for there to be enough material.
    5. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - After 25 years, JoJo finally hit the airwaves/cable. While a bizarrely produced OVA did cover Part 3 years ago (and Part 1 was made into a movie that technically no longer exists), JoJo has never been properly adapted. While rough around the edges (especially early on), the TV adaptations of Parts 1 and 2 perfectly capture the fun and thrill of the original source material. There is an obvious amount of love and respect from the creators to the original manga, and it shows in almost every scene. Very little content was lost in the jump from paper to digital cells, and the sound production is memorable--where else are you going to find a Yes song used for an ending theme. I just hope we can continue this crazy ride through at least up to and including Part 6.

BIGGEST DISAPPOINTS OF 2013
    1. DemRo: Demon King X Hero - I went in expecting the spiritual successor to Spice and Wolf. I instead got a trainwreck. The plot and world are not necessarily bad, but they are poorly used and never properly examined. Made worse, the characters are even duller and tripe than their fantasy world. Even crueler, their cliches and character tropes are more derived from otaku-focused anime series, not classic fantasy works--hell, the characters are literally just their titles. The pacing excellerates at an alarming rate in the half-way point, and it becomes bothersome to keep up with the show's attempts to surprise the audience. Worse of all, it has the gall to end with a cheesy villain stinger scene to hint that there is more to come. I hope there isn't.
    2. Devil Survivor 2 - After 2011/12's Persona 4 TV series, I was looking forward to viceriasly experiencing the SMT series through more anime. DS2 killed that. I was left wondering if this was a bad adaptation or just a bad source material. The characters lack any of the exta dimension exhibited by their Persona counterparts, and the plot seemed more focused at the yaoi-slash-fic elements over anything greater. It also makes the mistake of thinking that character deaths intrensically mean something; I was largely left bored and unphased.
    3. RDG: Red Data Girl - I came for P.A. Works' beautiful aesthetics, and, in that regard, I was not disappointed. Instead, the issue arrives from the material. My first issue was trying to delve into something a bit beyond my cutlural understandings. After making it past that boundary, I became fairly intrigued. However, then the show ended, without even a real climax. I'm not even sure if there is more content. I ultimately felt lost and abandoned.

HONORABLE MENTIONS
    1. Cat Ghostory (Black) - While a fun little entry into the -Story series, Black Cat feel a bit more in line with Impostery's pervy senses. However, it wasn't completely devoid of content. It helped perfectly establish why Hanekawa and Araragi didn't end up together prior to the start of Ghostory. That said, this is still a seemingly needless entry, since the reasons had already long been implied and the events of this story arc were summarized years ago. Furthermore, unlike the in-limbo prequel movie, no characters were introduced in this prequel story.
    2. The Eccentric Family - After 2010's The Tatami Galaxy, I was looking forward to the author's next work. The Eccentric Family is by no means in the same league as The Tatami Galaxy, but it does have a comfortable sense of familiarity. The main characters are all quite likeable, and their lives are interesting to follow. However, the most interesting character is often sidelined, and her depths remain hidden.
    3. Distorted Kyoto - Either bored of adapting One Piece and Toriko week-in, week-out, or in serious need of reviving their animator street cred, Toei finally fleshed out their experimental web special from a few years ago; the the results were interesting to follow. The best aspects of the series are the character backstories and the visuals. Sadly, the second half is not as sharp, and things play out more for the sake of plot than anything else.
    4. Kickoff to the Galaxy - While not necessarily a realistic soccer series, I did enjoy the light-hearted nature of this kids(?) show. I sadly don't feel like there is too much I can say about the series. If you enjoy high-energy (but not hyper-energy) sports series, give this little gem a try.
    5. It's Not My Fault That I'm Not Popular - I am not sure I am a fan of cringe-humor. I had numerous times where I had to pause, because it was just too painful to watch. Tomoko is a fun character to follow, and it's nice to see a series that doesn't try to skate around how awful NEET otaku can be. Tomoko's life is full of suffering, but it is not unjust. Really, my biggest complaint is that the second half was too kind in comparison to the more brutal first half.

BEST FROM BACKLOG 2013
    1. Rose of Versailles - As mentioned moths ago, Rose of Versailles is one of those rare masterpieces. What was originally me compromising (40 years later and still no translations for the manga) turned into one of the best anime experiences I've had in years. Now that I've completed collecting Utena, I think Versailles will be next (which isn't too bad since it's just two box sets).
    2. Tea for Universe, Tea for Life - For someone who doesn't know the Warring States Era like the back of my hand, I was surprised I could keep up with this crazy-*** series. I was even more surprised I could follow it when there would be several months between episode translations. What was originally a 2011 animne did not seem fan-completion until 2013, but it was worth the wait. The series ends on a powerful note, and I frankly just want more. I know we'll never get another season, but I want to believe.
    3. Michiko e Hatchin - While it may be a bit much to call it the spiritual successor to Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo, M+H is still a fun ride. It's greatest weakness is that many of the episodic stories do not build the character relations as strongly as intended and just feel more like akin to filler. However, when in full stride, the relationship between the two women is something to behold. Unfortunately, the ending seems a bit rushed, which makes the dead-air episodes even more bothersome.
  • Alex FullerAlex Fuller Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited March 2014
    Finished watching part two (episodes 8-14, so the second half of the Aincrad arc) of Sword Art Online last week, and am still undecided if I want to bother with the second half of the series. Individual episodes were usually fairly decent (but never really all that spectacular, the tearjerky ones worked but even then seemed to be really obvious about what they were going to do), but I really hated the overall pacing of the season. The overall plot just felt incredibly rushed and just didn't really give me any reason to really care about any of the characters.

While still not-deciding over the last week I went through Btooom! instead. This series I really enjoyed and was pretty much hooked throughout. So I find it a pity the former series gets a second season when the second doesn't. It's quite obvious and understandable why, but still a pity.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    edited March 2014
    Finished watching part two (episodes 8-14, so the second half of the Aincrad arc) of Sword Art Online last week, and am still undecided if I want to bother with the second half of the series. Individual episodes were usually fairly decent (but never really all that spectacular, the tearjerky ones worked but even then seemed to be really obvious about what they were going to do), but I really hated the overall pacing of the season. The overall plot just felt incredibly rushed and just didn't really give me any reason to really care about any of the characters.

While still not-deciding over the last week I went through Btooom! instead. This series I really enjoyed and was pretty much hooked throughout. So I find it a pity the former series gets a second season when the second doesn't. It's quite obvious and understandable why, but still a pity.

I just finished watching the whole thing on Netflix, it just falls apart after Episode 14. They rushed the end (they didn't even go through the last 25 floors FFS), and the second half is tacked on and forced.

Also, whole show is a giant .hack rip-off. They just took the concept to its logical extreme.
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
  • ironmageironmage chaotic neutral observer SaskatoonFull Members
    edited March 2014
    I've been on a bit of an anime binge lately, working through my backlog, and also trying out a few new series. I have too much time on my hands, so I'm going to subject you all to my notes. I apologize to the moderator, who probably has to read the whole thing.

Recommended series titles are in blue, poor ones in red, neutral in black.

Naruto (continuing). Despite its popularity, I find this quite good. This series has probably already been discussed to death elsewhere, so... I'm very bad with names and faces, so one metric of how involved I am with a series is how many characters I can name off the top of my head. Naruto scores 36. By contrast, Bleach (which has a similarly large cast) scores 12.

Hunter x Hunter (continuing). Despite a promising beginning, this is a fairly generic shounen series, of somewhat uneven quality (I thought the card-game arc was pretty stupid). If you like fights where the participants pause in mid-battle to explain exactly how their attack works, then this is your thing. Character name score: 5.

Log Horizon (continuing). A bunch of players get trapped in an MMORPG, for reasons unknown and by a mechanism unexplained. Mindless fluff, but an amusing alternative to insomnia. It seems there will be another season. Character name score...uhh... 0?

Magi (continuing...for now). Hmm. The setting (Arabian Nights) is interesting, but the characters are a bit flat, and I tire quickly of cookie-cutter moustache-twirling villains. I'm partway into the first season, but beginning to lose interest.

One Piece (dropped). Watched the first episode. Didn't get it. Without a strong recommendation, I don't think I want to start out on a 600+ episode series, anyway.

Sora no oto (in progress). A girl joins the military to get free trumpet lessons, and ends up posted to a tiny, all-female detachment in a small town. Post-apocalyptic setting, and slow pacing; this is a slice-of-life type of anime, reminiscent of Haibane Renmei. Characters are somewhat cliche, and the writing isn't as strong as it could be, but I like the general style. Also, this would work a lot better if some of the main characters were portrayed about five years older. Given the subject matter, the soundtrack is a bit anemic, saving the occasional trumpet solo.

The Eccentric Family (finished, twice consecutively!). An account of a family of tanuki living in Kyoto. Bizarre and imaginative, but it treats its own bizarreness as completely natural, rather than overplaying it for comedic effect, and focuses on storytelling instead. Part of the charm of this series is that it doesn't explain anything immediately; you get to figure it out as you watch. Very strong character writing. This is one of my recent favorites.

Silver Spoon (finished). A big-city high-school student transfers to an agricultural school. An entertaining comedy-drama for the most part, gets darker in tone in the last few episodes. I'd like another season, but think it unlikely.

Kill la Kill (finished). Fear is freedom! Subjugation is liberation! Contradiction is truth! Mankanshoku Mako is my hero! (Viewer discretion is advised!)

Gurren Lagaan (finished). I watched this because it was apparently by the same team that did Kill la Kill. It was entertaining, but not really at the same level. There was some subversion of anime tropes, but sometimes I think they weren't too over the top enough, and it occasionally fell a bit flat. The giant robots certainly are big in this one, that's for sure.

Nisekoi (continuing, looks to be wrapping up soon). This starts out with a cute romantic storyline, and a touch of Bakemonogatari-style humour. However, it drifts into the harem pattern too much, and has more fan-service than it needs to. With a slightly different structure, this could be quite good; as it is, it's a little bit disappointing. Still seems to be worth watching, but if the love triangle isn't resolved at the end, I will be quite irritated.

Witch Craft Works (finished). Oh dear. A protagonist with latent powers, a kuudere classmate dedicated to protecting him, a squad of witches bent on capturing or killing him, and a possessive younger sister. Now that we have all the ingredients for Yet Another Bad Harem anime...this actually turns out to be a pretty entertaining modern fantasy/action series. There isn't enough character development, and the plot is pretty straightforward, but it has a certain quirky charm, it's well-paced, and the combat sequences are fast and well-animated (with enough collateral damage to make Lina Inverse blink). I'm not going to claim this is high art or anything, but it held my interest, and I found it a lot of fun to watch.

Magical Warfare (dropped). One of the subplots might have had potential, but the characters were irritating, the fan-service was pandering, and the premise has been done better elsewhere.

Strike the Blood (dropped). Watched a couple episodes, but there wasn't enough there to hold my attention.

Pupa (dropped). Eeewwwww.

Tonari no Seki-kun (continuing). Light comedy, eight minute episodes. A boy invents ways to keep himself entertained during class (golf, rock-climbing, knitting), and distracts the girl next to him. Quite creative, given the time constraints. I especially like the shogi episodes.

Wonder Momo (dropped). I was following the webcomic, so I gave this a try. The first episode was only eight minutes, and it still managed to be a complete waste of time.

Strange+ (continuing(?)). Four minute episodes, sometimes hilarious, sometimes incomprehensible. I think I'm missing a lot of Japanese pop-culture references.

Galaxy Express 999 (episode 69 and counting). I'm still watching this. Great Maker, why am I still watching this?! Every once in a while there's a flash of truly brilliant science fiction, but the quality is wildly variable. For every good episode, I have to sit through two which are mediocre, or even complete nonsense. This was made in 1978, and has aged horribly. I should really just drop this and rewatch the movie. I'm not getting enough good sci-fi in my diet.

I don't drink, but GE999 desperately needs a drinking game.

Tetsuro forgets his gun: take a shot.
    Tetsuro's railway pass is stolen: take a shot.
    An alien woman kidnaps Tetsuro: take a shot.
    Maetel acts mysterious: take a shot.
    The conductor mentions policies or regulations: take a shot.
    Tetsuro is told not to do something on a certain planet, does it anyway, and either endangers everyone's lives, or greviously offends the inhabitants: take a shot. Double shots after he's done this ten times in the series.
    Someone Tetsuro was mortal enemies with abruptly turns out to be a friend: take a shot.
    Maetel takes a shower: take a shot.
    A mangaka Mary Sue appears in the episode: double shot.
    Dinosaurs, giant lizards, ghosts, or cavemen appear: drink from the bottle.
    Only the livin' have the privilege of sayin' they'll fight ta the last breath.
    And words like conviction and resolve don't mean much to a dead man...
    --Raven (Tales of Vesperia)
    edited April 2014
    Premiering in Winter (Chart):
    1. Silver Spoon Season 2 - Definitely a stronger season, and it makes me hopeful for more down the road. 7/10
    2. Space Dandy - While still not a masterpiece, Space Dandy did deliver entertaining episode vignettes. Some episodes were a lot weaker than others, but I enjoyed the cast. Waiting for more in July. 7/10
    3. Nobunagun - A surprisingly fun action series. I also liked that it ended on a strong note even though the story continues. Definitely some surprising choices for the E-Genes. Had some neat style choices. 6/10
    4. Cool-Headed Hozuki - Probably one of my favorite shows of the season. I always like a good comedy show. It was definitely foreign but not impenetrable. 7/10
    5. My Sister Came - A surprisingly cute show, though the 3 minute format hurt it a bit--though I agree it needed to be a short series. 4/10
    6. Stray Gods - I really enjoyed the three main characters and their interactions. The last obligatory conflict was a tad forced, but that's about all I can say against it. 6/10
    7. A Lull in the Sea - I really liked so much about the series, but the love dodecahedron got way too much screentime in the second half to the point of obscuring the more important issues. 6/10
    8. Kill la Kill - The second half massively improves on all the pieces introduced in the first half. While generic, the ending was at least a good ending. I loved Ragyo and wish we'd get more older villainesses in anime. 7/10
    9. Golden Time - Sadly, the supernatural elements of the show ruined the final stretch of the series, but it was still a fun little ride. Not a great romance, but the friendships are pretty good. At least it wasn't set in a high school. 5/10
    10. Samurai Flamenco - Craziest ride I've been on in so damn long. If you watched Kill la Kill and thought it was nuts, then step it up and watch SamFlam. You won't ever know what it about to happen. 7/10
    11. Space Brothers - IT'S OVER. IT'S OVER. IT'S OVER. ...Season 2 when? If anyone wants to watch a 99 episode series that has some real meat to it, this is the one. Just know that the pacing is slow. Very slow. 7/10
    12. Pupipo - Never saw it.
    13. Inari, Konkon, ABCs of Love - Never bothered. I already had too many shows to watch.
    14. Hamatora - Boy, what a boring first episode. And the art was surprisingly crappy. I just didn't care to dive in further.

Continuing into Spring:
    1. Ace of the Diamond - We've entered the summer tournament! The show moves a bit slow, expect in games. Hopefully we will get more game-time now that the real deal has begun.
    2. Pedal Nerd - The pacing is slowing down, but the show has enough energy to make you just not give a damn about it. The show is so pleasing and energizing.
    3. Next to Seki - I am loving this series. The gags usually work, and the main character is a hilarious straight-person, because she frequently forgets that she is suppose to be the straight-person to Seki and his shenanigans.
    4. False Love - I was initially put off by the voice casting, but it's working out well. Still not sure this needed to be done but SHAFT, but it does add a nice spice to the presentation. Can't wait for Marika to show up and then ruin everything forever!

Premiering in Spring (Chart):
    1. Wasimo - I don't expect to ever see the first episode, because no one subs these things, but it sounds like a very whimsical.
    2. KutsuDaru* - Also don't expect this to be available. But I like the mundane premise.
    3. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders - While I don't really like Part 3 like some people, I am always up for some JoJo.
    4. Mischief of the Gods* - Between the two Otome game series being adapted, this one sounds particularly fun, especially since we are getting a teacher-student reverse harem.
    5. The World is Still Beautiful* - I just want an enjoyable romance or fantasy series.
    6. HQ!! - I have impure reasons for being so exited about this, but I am told it is very good.
    7. Baby Steps* - Has a really nostalgic design (like late 80s/early 90s). Kind of hope it has a romance bent to it to round out the package.
    8. Rowdy Sumo Wrestler Matsutaro* - Looks like a pretty different series. Hopefully it has some substance.
    9. One Week Friends* - Sounds and looks like a potentially cute romance series.
    10. Mr. Cartoonist's Assistants* - It's going to a coin flip between crappy fanservice or actually funny series.
    11. Ping Pong - While watching 6 sport series may be a bad idea, I feel like I'd be nuts to skip out on Yuasa's first series since The Tatami Galaxy.
    12. Insufficient Direction* - Not often we get an autobiographical series. If ever.
    13. -Story Series Season Two +a - While we have to wait nearly two months (presumably airing after False Love, since that's only 20 episodes while -Story is 5), I love the series. Surprised we are getting it so soon.
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited April 2014
    Officially now, Atelier-style alchemy makes no sense. From the Escha & Logy anime thread on animesuki:
    User A:
    How to make cake, Atelier-style:

• Combine all ingredients in a cauldron.
    • Mix well with a large spatula.
    • Cover and secure the lid.
    • Wait until the cauldron jitters violently.
    • ???
    • CAKE!
    User B:
    I am more concern on how the manage to create exact shape of gear the need simply by putting random stuff in and wait until it finished.
    It reminds me of Minecraft.
    piece-cake-make-chicken-egg-farm-minecraft.w654.jpg
    You have to wonder how it works, but it works.
    User A:
    The way Escha just adds stuff into the cauldron and result in an apple tart and that machinery gear were hilarious to watch.
    User B:
    and that "Ding"
    That alchemy is so uber nonsensical. And so amusing.
  • lithoroselithorose Fire! Fire! Meiuuu! Full Members
    edited April 2014
    I thought Sword Art Online got more interesting after episode 14... until it horribly squandered its potential near the end (well, not horribly... I guess).

I second Naruto as well- it's formula but it does formula WELL.

The only things I can add this year are Tiger and Bunny, which was solid but not going to be a favorite, and Lucky Star, which I just don't get. I really can't understand how that show is so popular...
  • Alex FullerAlex Fuller Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2014
    I did decide to move on from SAO at least for now, and went through the entirety of Durarara!! That I really liked, and am very much looking forward to another season even if it's a likely long while away from getting in my usual viewing format. Think I had more fun actually watching Baccano!, just because it's more action packed and entertaining to watch, but definitely appreciated Durarara!! taking a bit longer to go over things as a whole experience. Next up is likely Guilty Crown :)
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited May 2014
    Sadly getting rid of about half my manga.

Mostly these are series I can't finish for mostly one reason, the companies that were releasing them are no longer releasing books in the US. I may be able to finish a few series but a good number of them I can't and it makes me sad
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited May 2014
    How are you getting rid of it? Your library will probably take them. They won't sell for much, probably.
    edited May 2014
    Well I was going to try and dump that various store that take books around what ever was left was going to donate to the local Library and use that as part of a tax deduction. The stacvk is like half my manga ... which is not a small number. However some of the series I'm keeping I'm not able to finish but I love. Like Rebirth (which technically a Manwha). I'm also getting rid of series that I can complete (Negima) but I've grown past
    sig.gif

and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

edited May 2014
    I haven't watched very much regular TV in ages, though that changed a bit with the new Cosmos series. Once I reminded myself that Attack on Titan was starting on Toonami, I thought to finally stop putting it off and check out the series. It's far too early to say how much I will like the series, but the first two episodes certainly kept me interested.

I also heard many good things about Space Dandy that's on an hour later. I'm late to that series, but that anime seems to be episodic, so I don't think I'm missing out on some grand plot (yet?) It's quite amusing to be sure. I think I can get to like it already. :)
    Bravely second...

• Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited May 2014
    Evangelion Rebuild 3... oh man oh man this is as good as a rebuild of an anime gets!
    "Back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's hilarious in modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of a FF7 remake."
    edited May 2014
    Not sure if anyone had really watched Fairy Tale either at all but man that is one of the best Anime's I've seen ... there are quite a few moments especially in episodes between 70 and 96 that really pull at the heart strings and had me nearly bawling in my chair
    sig.gif

• maryadaviesmaryadavies She Shoots For The Stars Somewhere east of Atlanta, GAModerators
    edited May 2014
    I don't know if anyone noticed, but...

VIZ HAS THE RIGHTS TO SAILOR MOON, SAILOR MOON'S BACK!

First episode here.

This is making me squeee a lot, SM has got me though a lot of rough times, and I've been a closet fan for years. It was also the first anime I really got into, and it got me into a few more magical girl anime.

For those that haven't heard the news, right now they're releasing it subtitled; 4 eps were released Monday, and from now on until they finish, there will be two eps released every monday subtitled. There will be a new dub (Which will also be on hulu, we proly won't see it until after next month), and it will be totally uncut; and no eps will be skipped. This makes me go squee twice for the SM you saw on tv was heavily cut. (I only found out in college.)

I think this is for NA since Hulu only works in NA, sorry canadians, but Viz is working on that. There's also going to be new blu ray and dvd releases, finally; I need to save up~!
    93a24222217c9c20a686db8be4676a84.jpg
    My personal page
    New to the boards? Confused? Find the answers here.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited May 2014
    Mary, that has made me GIDDY. But that opening song...IT WILL NEVER BE BETTER THAN THIS, NEVAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • maryadaviesmaryadavies She Shoots For The Stars Somewhere east of Atlanta, GAModerators
    edited May 2014
    I bet it has! Anyway the con I mentioned (I had to check Moon Chase again), is AnimeExpo. They're announcing the new dub cast then.

The new dub will LIKELY come sometime after that.
    My personal page
    edited May 2014
    So that's what's going on with the license. Now I can be double excited for the series. While I no longer consider Sailor Moon to be my most favorite anime series, it still holds a lot of nostalgia for me and has a very special place in my heart. I can credit it for not only introducing me to anime and manga, but indirectly to RPGs as well (via the Pokemon anime, and thus the video game). I am very curious as to the new dub. Even if they're not very good, I have the entire original series that aired on North American TV across several VHSes (mostly recorded off of Toonami) and some DVDs that I transferred to tapes to.
    Mary, that has made me GIDDY. But that opening song...IT WILL NEVER BE BETTER THAN THIS, NEVAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
    Eh, my favorite opening is still Sailor Stars Song, from the last season. It sounds like we'll finally be getting an official release of Sailor Stars, too! *Squees*
    Bravely second...

edited May 2014
    Instead of diving in the Beast that is the 90s version of Sailor Moon, I think I'm going to just wait and see what this new version they're airing in July is like. I still can't figure out if it's a remake or something new. At least they aren't doing a DBZ Kai like treatment--the original anime deviated so much from the manga that no amount of editing could bring it into line with the manga canon.
    edited May 2014
    The new series is suppose to be a closer adaptation of the manga, something like Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood. How close it will be, and if it will adapt the entire manga series, remains to be seen. The original series did divert heavily from the original manga.
    Bravely second...

edited May 2014
    Speaking of Sailor Moon Crystal..

Crunchyroll is going to stream it!

Since I assume CR had to negotiate with Viz(Viz also has the rights to Sailor Moon Crystal(that's what the new series is called), btw), I think this may mean that CR might also get the original anime eventually; I'd assume they are negotiating with Viz for that. Which MIGHT be good news for Canadian fans. Keep your fingers crossed!
    My personal page
    edited May 2014
    Well, note that CR has not said which REGIONS have Crystals. See, they announce anything they license, but they are international. For example, they announced Ping Pong this season, but it's for all non-US regions, because FUNi licensed. So, it might only be VIZ for U.S.A., but CR should be good for Canadians.
    edited May 2014
    True. But the thing is you do NOT know what..or who..CR licensed it from. Viz does have some series on CR, I've noticed.

Also CR tends to almost always have shows streaming for the USA, so Viz must of been involved. Ping Pong is the only one I've heard of since 'Cat started paying for it 3 years ago that is not for the US.

[Edit] I forgot a little detail which may be causing some serious confusion. Viz has the streaming rights for North America for both the original anime and Sailor Moon Crystal (I hope CR licensed the rights for NA from Viz) , but the service they like unless they strike a deal with CR is Hulu. Hulu will ONLY work in USA. So I do assume they will make other arrangements for Canadians, if they can't, you'll have to wait for the disks, which will proly be buyable in Canada. Kinda unfair but that's the way it goes.
    My personal page
    edited May 2014
    This is rather minor and kind of silly, but if anyone is hoping that there will be a re-release of the original North American dubs (by DIC and Cloverway), better not hold your breath. I heard on the Anime News Network podcast that no one currently holds the rights to it at this time. Naoko Takeuchi, apparently, dislikes the TV dub and has a pretty strong hold on the rights to the franchise. She likely will not let that version be officially released any time soon.

I don't blame her, and despite the huge amount of nostalgia I hold for the original dub, I don't care. I do still have them taped, after all. :P I'll probably re-watch those old tapes/DVDs some time soon.
    Bravely second...

• DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited May 2014
    I believe it's easy to find torrents online if you're truly desperate for the original dub, but it's not something I condone or suggest unless you want to possibly get a virus.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    edited May 2014
    Actually Dark; there's a group that has put up the original dub *COUGH SAILORMOONCENTER COUGH COUGH* Their torrents are virus free (I should know since I got my Sailor Moon Stars fansubs from them) but since anything from the anime is now of questionable legality, I won't post a link to their page. Find it yourself. (They have not taken down their sm fansubs yet which makes me wary of them atm.)
    My personal page
    edited May 2014
    Actually Dark; there's a group that has put up the original dub *COUGH SAILORMOONCENTER COUGH COUGH* Their torrents are virus free (I should know since I got my Sailor Moon Stars fansubs from them) but since anything from the anime is now of questionable legality, I won't post a link to their page. Find it yourself. (They have not taken down their sm fansubs yet which makes me wary of them atm.)

It was actually Illegal from the get go as ADV and Geneon both release parts of the original series Uncut subbed before they both bellied up. I have the Official boxsets in my collection. Although on top of that This is for both the Original Series and the New one that is releasing. So in that sense the Fansubs are completely illegal as all 5 Seasons of the original Series are licensed along with the movies

They are also illegal in the simple fact as they are a purposeful edit of a copyrighted Materiel. Meaning just to fansub them, which is a form of editing, without the consent of the owner is illegal in and of itself. The reason the Anime industry does it is some companies don't care, and others do. Like in Japan there was a company that had a Fansubbed version of a new movie release the day before the movie did in theatres. They went ape **** and they now fight when they catch their stuff subbed. It's also the same studio that did UFO Princess Valkyrie.
    sig.gif

edited May 2014
    I figured that, another reason I'm not linking. Questionable legality is questionable legality. And I mean to delete my fansubs soon as I have the official in hand. (I'm one of the few that will buy what I like if I liked the fansub. I want to send a message to the companies that license what I like; Bring more of it over!)

Just for future reference, no linking fansub groups here to be safe on copyright stuff. Mentioning them (including a specific group) or talking about them is fine however. (I double checked on this and that's the stance.)

And yes, some JP companies ignore fansubs; some will go ape over them b/c of piracy issues. Now a days there are FEWER groups that fansub than before b/c of Crunchyroll and such sites, tho I've heard of lazy groups that even rip CR subs. Bleech! The usual rule is if it's licensed, even by CR, you don't touch it; but there are groups that will, and I don't go near those. If it's on CR, I'll watch it on CR, thanks!

Sailor Moon has been considered unlicensed since Gencon went under up until now, just so you know.
    My personal page