If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Anime

Comments

• PlugPlug Member Full Members
    edited September 2007
    I don't know, I thought CB had a fantastic ending. It would have felt cheap and hollow had they gone the other way with it, particularly since they spent pretty much the entire series dropping many, many hints that it was going to happen like that. Much of Bebop is symbolism and metaphor. Spike was a really engaging character, yeah, but I would have been extremely frustrated if they'd backed out and gone for the 'safe' ending, since it would have invalidated pretty much the whole series.
  • FrozenbabylonFrozenbabylon POW! Full Members
    edited September 2007
    I agree with Plug. Spike keps saying the only reason <span class="spoiler">he was alive was because of Vicious, So it's logical that when Vicious dies, He would as well.

Also, He keeps mentioning that life is a dream for him. And that one eye always sees the past (nothing). It's just a logical course for his character</span>

However, The way that they set everything up, You could say that he <span class="spoiler">just passed ut from his wounds and is alive and well.</span>. It's really how you interpret the ending.
  • ZelgodesZelgodes A Mastermind!? Full Members
    edited September 2007
    Well, not really, since <span class="spoiler">the whole scene with the star falling from the sky happens right after he falls on the stairs. It's pretty strongly implied that he's dead.</span>

edited September 2007
    Yeah. But it's never implicitly stated. I was just trying to make Wolf feel better. <span class="spoiler">I believe that he died, having carried out his final mission.</span>
  • Aquila HawkAquila Hawk O_o Full Members
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, don't you remember the scene in Jupiter Jazz <span class="spoiler">where the elder native American was telling the boy about how a falling star was a soul who had lost his way in the afterworld? I agree as a long time fan of the series, Spike died in the end, in a way a hero. Although he was strictly after Vicious, he did avenge the Dragon leadership Vicious killed.</span>
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    AquilaHawk on Battle.Net: Currently playing Starcraft II
    edited September 2007
    Then there's also the scene in the first episode where the elder says, <span class="spoiler">"The Red Eyed Coyote will meet a woman, and then - death. . .</span> Granted it ties into the immediate moment (that episode), but I don't think it's a coincidence. Yet another extremely key line comes in one of Julia's few moments where <span class="spoiler">Vicious has a gun to her head, and after she asks if he's going to kill Spike, he says: "No, you're going to do it for me. Either you kill him, or both of you die. Those are your only options."</span>

Again, foreshadowing and all. Jeez, really, if you look at almost any of the episodes you can find parallels to the last moments of the show. It wasn't really an ending they stumbled into.
  • SilentwolfSilentwolf Only Silence Full Members
    edited September 2007
    Heh. Somehow through all that, I feel better about it. Spike was a very engaging character but I see what you mean, Plug, about the ending having a very strong lead up. Only last night did I finally finish it for the first time.

If they'd gone with the safer ending, I would have been disappointed. Particularly after the influence the elder's words seem to have.

Part of me still wanted <span class="spoiler">Spike to live, though. Maybe I'm just too attached to his character, even though it makes sense for both he and Vicious to die in the end.</span>
    Every sailor knows the tale
    of those becalmed at sea
    though at peace they can be found
    at peace they never be.
  • Agent_009Agent_009 Member Full Members
    edited September 2007
    I was really excited when the CB movie came out, because I thought it would bring a few more movies with it afterwards, especially since the series is episodic. Kinda like with Lupin III. I think it's a shame - I really like the characters.
  • Tigron111Tigron111 Member Full Members
    edited September 2007
    I assumed that <span class="spoiler">Spike was going to die</span> for a while. After all them injuries he sustained over time, it was only logical that <span class="spoiler">Vicious would eventually fight him to a stalemate of some kind</span> and hence, we have a decent ending for CB.

The movie itself confused me a little, probably because I still haven't seen the start, so I didn't know exactly where it sat in the course of the timeline, but I still liked what I saw.
  • MiyosakaMiyosaka Member Full Members
    edited September 2007
    The movie comes in, I think it's supposed to be between episode 22 and 23 or something. <span class="spoiler">Right before they get into Faye's past.</span>

Also, the fact that you have such conflicting emotions at the end of Cowboy Bebop is just tribute to its' greatness. Part of you thinks it's so beautiful, while another part wishes it could go on forever. Classic.
    thanks for reading
  • Zidane TribalZidane Tribal Banned Banned Users
    edited September 2007
    I've been thinking about the differences between anime AND manga. Like, you know how both are completely different from each other in terms of content, right? That being said, I read in somebody's post a long time that the manga version of Love Hina was a lot better than the anime. Now I still read and collect manga, but I don't know why a book full of black and white illustrations can beat something on DVD. I mean, manga based on a franchise can be just as good as it's anime counterpart, right?

Like, last weekend when I bought Kingdom Hearts II by Shiro Amano I happened to spy the first volume of Chobits. I flipped and read through it, comparing what scenes I saw in the AMV Xocwerd Moments in Anime with the ones in the manga. That's when I realized that I came to a very tough dilemma. Should I buy the anime (if I ever find it) or just get the manga of any series besides Chobits? I don't wanna waste money (and gas) driving out to get both. Can somebody here offer their own advice and/or opinions? confused.gif
    edited September 2007
    Most Anime is based from Manga, Not the other way around. It's adapted to Anime, Sometimes it's not as good, Sometimes it's a little better.

Take `Fullmetal Alchemist`. They adapted the Manga to Anime way early in the Manga's life span. So they had to have a completely different set of villains at the end. It's not bad. It's just different.

Same with Hellsing. They were true to the Manga up until the point the Manga stopped for a time, they they went buck wild and made the anime crazy.

Now with Chobits, The anime is actually different in a better way. The stories in the anime are really different then the Manga. And the manga comes out pretty good until the end. I liked the ending to the anime more.

Ghost in the Shell; The Manga is filled with more humour and more funny situations then in the Anime, Also the sequel in the manga has nothing to do with Motoko and most of Section 9... It's just strange. I actually prefer the Anime versions of GitS over the Manga versions. And even in the Anime there's the Movie version and the Series version. The Series is superior in someways and the Movies are superior in others.

I guess it's just how you wanna do it. I prefer watching stuff instead of reading comics. But comics are nice for plane rides for the point when you get on a plane until about 10 minutes in the air when you can play your games or use your laptop to watch anime if you brought it or like on a bus or something. It's just when and where you want or need the stuff.

edited September 2007
    After reading what you said, Frosty, I'm able to distinguish what I wanna get. Still, I might get all the volumes of Love Hina since somebody said here that the manga was WAY better. I don't know what was wrong with the anime. Probably the story and dubbing was awful not just to him/her, but to everyone else who agrees.
    edited September 2007
    For my money, I couldn't stand the Love Hina anime. This is pretty much on account of the fact that I'd read the manga first, and become really fond of Naru's character as she had a lot of subtle complexities I wasn't really expecting to find in that kind of story. Unfortunately, the anime truncated and often entirely emitted extremely key scenes, leaving her entire character a pretty unsympathetic mess.

The manga just had more character to it. Even if it did pretty much fall apart after the ninth volume, IMO.
  • Agent_009Agent_009 Member Full Members
    edited September 2007
    I agree with Plug, but my case was the opposite, where I had seen the anime first and read the manga afterwards. When I started reading the manga, I thought "Man, the characters look much better here than in the anime (excluding the OVAs)." Maybe it's just me, but I favored the manga's character designs to the anime.
    edited September 2007
    I thought that the manga version of Love Hina was better than the anime! Actually, I would've just gotten the manga anyway. I flipped through the first volume of it at the Borders and needless to say I liked it. blush.gif

*ahem!*

But, I never heard about the manga through word of mouth or the Internet grapevine. During my 2nd or 3rd year at high school some crazy guy I knew bought a volume with him and was reading it during breakfast. At the time I didn't even know what that manga was about. I'm surprised he didn't get in trouble for bringing it to school! wow.gif
  • kittenofthepackkittenofthepack It bes a cat hat! Full Members
    edited September 2007
    <div>
    (Zidane Tribal @ Sep. 17 2007,15:03)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">I'm surprised he didn't get in trouble for bringing it to school! wow.gif</div>
    Because most people have no clue what manga is. They figure "Oh it's just another comic book and leave it as that."

I always seem to enjoy manga more than anime. Some animes tend to drag the seasons out, whereas the manga is short, sweet and to the point. No craptastic filler. (See example: Sailor Moon)
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited September 2007
    Neon Genesis Evangelion, .Hack Roots, and Berkserk are all excellent animes i've recently perused through
    "Back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's hilarious in modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of a FF7 remake."
    edited September 2007
    I can't stand NGE. Not even for a second.
  • SorenSoren ..not a pony.. Full Members
    edited September 2007
    I had mixed emotions when it came to NGE. Needless to say its not my favorite. I would probably never actually get it on dvd. I've seen it once through and I think I'm ok with that. Too much other good stuff to try and get my grabby lil hands on.
    Driving FB bonkers for years. Paw's Wife.
  • Slayer of GodSlayer of God Member Full Members
    edited September 2007
    NGE is another example of where the manga is much better than the anime, though it's still unfinished. Characters are better developed, and the storyline is actually coherent.
    Within the spreading darkness, I pledged a vow to the revolution.
    edited September 2007
    NGE was a pretty brilliant idea mired in an often horribly pretentious and meandering script. ?Pseudo-philosophy is fine and all, but an enormous portion of the series is dedicated to characters throwing out vaguely metaphysical questions while floating in non-physical voids.

Some people really love the show, and I can understand why, even if I don't feel the same. ?I'm still yearning for a giant robot series to come around that doesn't conclude with the conflicted protagonists flinging philosophical challenges at the universe. ?Gasaraki was almost that one anime, if the last few episodes could've been cut off.

PatLabor was fun though. :)

• SorenSoren ..not a pony.. Full Members
    edited September 2007
    I'll give the manga a chance maybe. The idea was there for the show but my god. So hard to follow and the characters just seemed so hollow.
    Driving FB bonkers for years. Paw's Wife.
  • Aquila HawkAquila Hawk O_o Full Members
    edited September 2007
    You know why fillers exist, right? It's because someone has the brilliant idea to start the anime series at the same time as the Manga, or a little after the Manga becomes established. That's precisely what happened to Bleach. The Bount Arc exists because Tite Kubo was trying to allow the Arrancar battles and Vizard training really play out (or run on in some cases). The anime would have overtaken the manga a long time ago without the filler. However, in this case, the filler didn't just drag on and lend nothing to the larger story. It seemed to fit and progress well enough. Unlike the 10 episode mini-filler that they just did because Ichigo and Grimmjow needed about 2.5 months worth of weekly chapters to fight. rock.gif

Speaking of manga and the differences with their anime, Mai HiME has a pretty big one when it comes to point of view. In the anime, it is strictly from Mai's point of view. In the manga, it is actually from Yuuichi's point of view. laugh.gif
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    AquilaHawk on Battle.Net: Currently playing Starcraft II
    edited September 2007
    All I know about Neon Genesis Evangelion from here was that it had a <span class="spoiler"> buncha religious overtones, giant mechs battling who-knows-what, and something about the ending where the entire human race except the two main protagonists were turned into LCL. </span>Whatever that stuff is. sarcasm.gif

Edited since some might not have seen that and may want to.

• kittenofthepackkittenofthepack It bes a cat hat! Full Members
    edited September 2007
    I understand why filler exist in animes but it still annoys me. >.< Urg. But with some filler episodes if you miss the last few minutes you miss important plot points. D'oh!

*eats some filler* Um yum!
  • CidolfasCidolfas Member Full Members
    edited September 2007
    I just saw the Bleach movie (subbed). I was relatively impressed; there was only a 20-minute fight scene (in which five baddies were dispatched - take that, you 15-episode battles!). The new character was amazingly bittersweet, and the story was simple but very effective. It's things like these that sadden me when most of the series degenerates into your average shounen boringness. I loved the first 20 or so episodes, when they had some actual variety.

I'm always far sadder at media which shows real promise in terms of story but squanders much of it (see: Witch Hunter Robin, Kingdom Hearts) than media which is just plain bad.
  • MeoTwister5MeoTwister5 Member Full Members
    edited September 2007
    Lucky Star has come to an end.

Can I be depressed now?
    edited September 2007
    <div>
    (MeoTwister5 @ Sep. 19 2007,21:33)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Lucky Star has come to an end.

Can I be depressed now?</div>
    I'd be happy that I wasn't wasting my time anymore. But that's just me. hehe.
  • ZelgodesZelgodes A Mastermind!? Full Members
    edited September 2007
    Did anyone else just see the obvious statement train just go by?