If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Anime

Comments

• TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited May 2014
    Thing is Geneon didn't own it either. It w as on loan to them for the subbing/dubbing from one of the old cartoon companies to do the subbed releases. It's kinda of like Bandai US giving Funimation the right to release Gundam series though Bandai still owns it in the US.

However gonig back to my comment Mary, even fansubs as a whole are illegal as it is the Unauthorized editing of a copyrighted work. Over the years I've listened to a number of Patent/Copyright/License legal things as my father works on those so I've learned a little of what can and can't be gotten away with. Though honestly like you I go by if the item is not readily available in your personal country line. But international copyright law doesn't include that stance
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • maryadaviesmaryadavies She Shoots For The Stars Somewhere east of Atlanta, GAModerators
    edited May 2014
    I can understand that; and with me, with the unlicensed anime I like that I often find fansubs for (Pretty Cure, for instance) I'd buy a official version with dub and subtitles if it ever came over here. The first season of Pretty Cure was (badly) subtitled on CR, if you want to check it out before you start diving into the murky world of fansubs.

And yeah, since no one had the license(or many groups thought that way), SM has been considered "legal" to fansub up until Viz got it. Which means my fansubs are going bye bye and I'm saving up for the blue rays/dvds. But yeah. What fansubbers do is probably not really legal but for many, it's considered a grey area since more companies ignore fansubs than tell fansub groups to GTFO and stop it. (I think there's only been one company that gets miffed about it, unless the one you mentioned is more recent?)
    93a24222217c9c20a686db8be4676a84.jpg
    My personal page
    New to the boards? Confused? Find the answers here.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited May 2014
    Speaking of the Pretty Cure metaseries thing...was it just me, or was Smile Precure horrible in terms of characters, plot, etc., outside of the villains? The villains seemed to make the show for me.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • maryadaviesmaryadavies She Shoots For The Stars Somewhere east of Atlanta, GAModerators
    edited May 2014
    Yeah, it was horrible. I got bored and came back on the ending for that one, which is rare. Ugh. They really dropped the ball there.

HappinessCharge Pretty Cure (the latest series) is shaping up to be good so far though.
    My personal page
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited May 2014
    All (most?) of the incarnations have the quirky miniboss squad. Certainly seasons 7-10 have them. The quirky miniboss squad characters are certainly quirky, but I don't think they are super-interesting characters.

All magical girl series seem like an excuse plot for magical girls to fight monsters and look cool doing it. They succeed at this (that is why I enjoy watching), but at the cost of the plot. They tend to always use the dismantled macguffin and monster-of-the-week tropes for that once an episode feeling. There are exceptions like Madoka Magica, which didn't focus so much on how cool it is to be a magical girl, and it has a more interesting plot as a result.

Doremi has been doing subs for Precure for awhile, I think since season 3. Recently they got a third staff member, an editor, and their subs have improved as a result.
    edited May 2014
    Actually, it wasn't season 3, Flame. It was HeartCatch (which if I'm not mistaken was the 7th season of Pretty Cure) where they turned up on the scene. They've gone back and worked on the fifth season which isn't quite done yet b/c they have to wait on the translator.

Rest of the Precure seasons(except the 7th season onward, which are all done by Doremi) are done by a hodgepodge of groups, some even 1-2 man groups. If it helps, a group called CureCom is keeping track of all the subs, as well as did some subbing themselves. (They're ultra slow though, at least on the subbing) They are worth searching for.

And I consider most magical girl series kinda fun; tho with Precure, some series just fall flat. Smile sure did.

[Edit] *COUGH!* Doremi Fansubs has finally finished Pretty Cure Go Go! which means in the shady world of fansubs, if you hunt hard enough, you can find EVERY season of Precure fansubbed in English. I suggest if you're curious about that, head to CureCom; if it's a older series you may want to go there and find out where their channel is, since their d/l bot is more reliable than torrents that have no seeds.. All 11 (!) series of it, tho the very first one, I'd suggest watching on CR to support Toei, even tho..I think the fansub's better, thank you. ^^

[Edit again]Here is the very first season of Pretty Cure. It's a little different than the ones you might be familiar with b/c 1. there's only 2 heroines and the always together thing too. Be warned, the official subs are not that great to be honest but they are good enough to understand it. ^^ If you wanna know I got interested b/c of a ref in a Digimon episode a while ago..Curiosity kills the cat!
    My personal page
    edited June 2014
    Pardon me for double posting...but ENGLISH SUBBED TRAILER FOR SM CRYSTAL IS OUT.

It's not only going to be on CR, but on Neon Alley as well. (I've seen that happen before..)

Also according to Moon Chase, it's going to be playing on CR, Neon Alley, and NicoNico. Also there will be a dub preview at Anime Expo on July 5th. We should be able to view the new dub soon after that.
    My personal page
  • Cassandra RamosCassandra Ramos Eternal Kyoshi Administrators
    edited June 2014
    One thing I'm wondering; will the voice actors be the same for the new dub for the original series and the dub of Sailor Moon Crystal? I haven't been able to get a straight answer on that.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

edited June 2014
    One thing I'm wondering; will the voice actors be the same for the new dub for the original series and the dub of Sailor Moon Crystal? I haven't been able to get a straight answer on that.
    From what I heard, no, they won't be the same voice actors. Brand new cast and everything. I don't care what anybody says, the original cast will always be the best.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    edited June 2014
    It's kind of odd to say "original cast," since the Sailor Moon English dub has had several actors come and go for the characters. Sailor Moon herself has had three voice actresses: Tracey Moore for episodes 1-11, 15, and 21, Terri Hawkes for everything else, movies included, up to the S and Super S seasons, then Linda Ballantyne for those two seasons. Out of those three, I feel that Terri Hawkes was the best and most fitting. Tracey's voice was kind of annoying, and while Linda is better than Tracey, she sounds like she has a constant cold. Apparently, both Terri and Linda have expressed interest in reprising the role of Sailor Moon in the future (and that future is very soon, ha ha).

Heck, nearly all of the sailors' actors were changed at one point or another. Only Sailor Jupiter kept the same actor, Susan Roman, throughout the entire run. Sailor Mars is an odd case, as she is mostly played by Katie Griffin, except for the last 17 episodes of R, where she was voiced by Emilie Barlow (American fans might remember those being called "Sailor Moon: The Lost Episodes" on Toonami). Emilie actually went on to voice Sailor Venus for S and Super S, replacing Stephanie Morgenstern.
    Bravely second...

edited June 2014
    I always preferred Terri Hawkes as Sailor Moon, Susan Roman as Sailor Jupiter (for reasons you listed), Katie Griffin as Sailor Mars, and Stephanie Morgenstern as Sailor Venus.
    edited June 2014
    So okay. MORE trailers for SM Crystal out!
    Crunchyroll version, New BG music
    Old version, CR version
    --New Viz version, new BG music

Seems Viz made a gentleman's deal with CR so both could stream it. I hope this eventually means that Viz'll make a deal with CR for the original SM for you Canadian fans out there.
    My personal page
  • JormungandJormungand Member Full Members
    edited July 2014
    As of yesterday, Knights of Sidonia began streaming on Netflix. I've just started it myself. It's a cross between mecha and hard-boiled sci-fi, the latter of which the original mangaka is well-known for. The English version is actually exclusive to Netflix, as they funded the localization. You can stream it dubbed or subbed with Japanese VO.

http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/70301578?trkid=2361637

I think this is the kind of anime we need more of in general. And I'm impressed Netflix made this happen, as their current selection of (streaming) anime is pretty terrible.
    edited July 2014
    Well, the first ep of SM Crystal is out. Can find it for free on Hulu and Crunchyroll (Seems they made it available on CR to everyone without paid, but if you hate ads pay the $10!). Good for a first ep, really close to the manga, but Moon's henshin is really jarring. Couldn't they of gotten some better cgi artists? Or done it in not-3d? Oh well. I think it's fun anyway.
    My personal page
    edited July 2014
    I agree, I didn't like the CGI transformation. 2D would have worked much better for this.
  • ClixClix Former Listmaster Full Members
    edited July 2014
    Finished in Spring (Chart):
    1. Pedal Nerd - The ending just sort of happens, but it's also been confirmed to be resuming in October, so that's fine. Thus far, it's been a fun series with a lot of lovable characters (except the one super-loser and the main villain). The pacing is slow, but the atmosphere keeps things going despite how long the races occur. I look forward to the second part in fall. 6/10
    2. Next to Seki - A really cute and funny gag series. Normally, the straight-man in a comedy series is boring or annoying, but Yokoi is just as insane as Seki, so their shenanigans work well together. Definitely worth watching for a good laugh. 6/10
    3. False Love - Well, still don't get why SHAFT did this, but they didn't detract (although they sure got lazy at times). It was kind of nice to revisit the earlier parts of the story, though it does show that somehow this bad harem-comedy series is actually getting better, since the recent chapters have a bit more going for them in terms of comedy. 4/10
    4. Wasimo - As I figured, no one touched this series, so who knows if it was good or not.
    5. KutsuDaru - See above.
    6. Mischief of the Gods - So disappointed in the first episode. First off, the "teacher" is a high-school girl (and a boring one at that), so she doesn't quite have the maturity to dealing with "young" gods. I ultimately so no reason to continue since it's basically a fan-service show for girls, and none of the guys do it for me.
    7. The World is Still Beautiful - This show had a lot of ups and downs. Overall, I think it broke even. The main character is fun, and I do like the romantic scenes, but I think the build-up to them being a legit couple happened way too quickly. Also, all of the drama, when it cropped up, was crap. Oh well. 5/10
    8. One Week Friends - The series was definitely cute, but sadly no romance developed because the main female character is dense when it comes to romance. Poor Hase. He tried. So, yeah, more of a friendship anime, though the main friend is clearly carrying a torch. 6/10
    9. Mr. Cartoonist's Assistants - Dropped quick and hard. Not fun, and just overall sleazy.
    10. Ping Pong - While I don't know why Yuasa adapted a mid-90s sports manga, I think it was overall good and probably in the fore-running for a Best of 2014 placing. The art style is more realistic, but also very surreal and uncanny (in a good way). The animation was interesting as well, though I think I saw some corners being cut here-and-there. Beyond the weirdness of the visuals, the strength was in the characters, almost all of whom were highly likable. Sadly the final match got a bit anti-climatic in delivery. 7/10
    11. Insufficient Direction - Never heard of anything for this. Weird, since it's about Anno.

Continuing into Summer:
    1. Ace of the Diamond - The tournament is in full-swing, and the main character is finally starting to come into his own. Finally the games are getting the kind of attention they deserve, and I look forward to see how far we will go in the tournament as the show enters its fourth and final cour.
    2. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders - While I don't really like Part 3 like some people, I am always up for some JoJo.
    3. HQ!! - The games are really energetic, though I imagine the moe-ness of some of the boys may be a turn-off. I'm at least having a good time.
    4. Baby Steps - However, I think I prefer Baby Steps due to the analytic nature of the plot. The main character is steadily growing, but I except another wall to appear soon. I'm curious to see just how much we'll get done with another cour.
    5. Rowdy Sumo Wrestler Matsutaro - As excepted of Toei, the animation is meh. Matsutaro is a hard-to-like jackass, but he's slowly warming up. Emphasis on slowly. It won an award for best seinen manga back in '77, so I'm holding out still. It also has a killer OP.

Premiering in Summer (Chart)
    1. Glasslip - I like P.A. Works. It's that simple.
    2. Sailor Moon - Finally. I am still not convince this is going to be good, but I'm holding out.
    3. Sword Art Online II - Because there is nothing else. At least SAO has production values.
    4. Barakamon - Sounds pleasant and homey.
    5. Aldnoah.Zero - Whatever. Let's do it, Gen.
    6. Space Dandy Season 2 - Hopefully it will be overall higher quality than the first season. Season 1 wasn't bad, but it needs greater consistency in its set pieces.
    7. Survival Game Club! - This is maybe a double-standard, but I'm giving it a chance since this is a shojo manga, so it shouldn't be otaku-pandering.
    8. Blue Spring Ride - Sounds like a nice romance series.
    9. Persona 4 Golden - Maybe it will be better animated. Not sure if it will be subbed, though.
    10. Terror of Resonance - A Watanabe-Kanno anime... about terrorism. Sure.
    11. Nobunaga Concerto - The art style looks neat.
    12. -Story Series Season Two +a - About damn time.
    13. When Do You Crush the Fried Egg? - No one is going to sub this. But if they do, I'll be there.

From Backlog in Spring:

1. Emma: A Victorian Romance - A lovely series, though it has a slow start. The real draw is in the second season, where everything picks up dramatically. The romances are laced with the purity and innocence one would expected of a Victorian piece; the only controversy lies in the class aspects. It's on Hulu for anyone interested. 7/10 (season 1) 8/10 (season 2)
    edited July 2014
    NEW SM DUB CAST ANNOUNCED!

Source
    Main Voice Cast

Stephanie Sheh as Usagi Tsukino/Sailor Moon
    Kate Higgins as Ami Mizuno/Sailor Mercury
    Cristina Vee as Rei Hino/Sailor Mars
    Amanda C. Miller as Makoto Kino/Sailor Jupiter
    Cherami Leigh as Minako Aino/Sailor Venus
    Robbie Daymond as Mamoru Chiba/Tuxedo Mask

Supporting Voice Cast

Johnny Yong Bosch As Artemis
    Michelle Ruff as Luna
    Danielle Nicole as Naru Osaka
    Ben Diskin as Gurio Umino
    Tara Platt as Ikuko Tsukino
    Keith Silverstein as Kenji Tsukino
    Nicolas Roye as Shingo Tsukino
    Cindy Robinson as Queen Beryl
    Todd Haberkorn as Jadite
    Liam O' Brien as Nephrite
    Lucien Dodge as Zoicite
    Patrick Seitz as Kunzite

I hope they all do a good job when we can watch it! I'm buying the disks soon as they show up on Amazon!
    My personal page
    edited July 2014
    I was kind of hoping some of the old cast would be tracked down for the new dub. Ah well, this is still an awesome cast of well-known Californian actors and lesser-known ones as well. This will take some getting used to but I'm also excited.

My sister is baffled at the choice of JYB as Artemis. It's an interesting choice, to be sure, but one I can picture. Stephanie Sheh as Usagi herself is a good choice; she's got a pretty good range on her.

Ah right, this is just the first season. I was also hoping Laura Bailey would play someone, but there are four other seasons (unless she just does some characters/monsters of the week).
    Bravely second...

• ClixClix Former Listmaster Full Members
    edited July 2014
    Listen, we've struck gold for the Dark Kingdom. It'll be amazing for them alone.
    edited July 2014
    DUB PREVIEW!

Not bad, not bad at all. And we'll get to watch it on Hulu next Monday. ^^
    My personal page
    edited July 2014
    Sailor Moon's voice does not work for me. But then again, it doesn't feel like it fits.
    edited July 2014
    Knights of Sidonia turned out to be quite good, though the first season is very short (12 episodes). Highly recommended to science fiction fans. Unfortunately, due to the season's size, there are far more questions than answers right now.
    edited July 2014
    Well, I like Stephanie more than Tracey Moore and Linda Ballantyne already. She's no Terri Hawkes, though. She fits Usagi, even if I don't think she's the best fit.

I also kind of preferred Mamoru's (or Darien, I suppose) line in the original dub: "Are you stupid or just incredibly lazy?" I wondered if they played him up to be meaner in the TV dub. Some of the earliest things I did on the Internet was go to Sailor Moon fansites and read up on the changes to the dub version, but I don't recall that.

I'll be grabbing the Limited Edition for sure. :)
    Bravely second...

• Rya_ReisenderRya_Reisender Solipsist Snowflake Full Members
    edited July 2014
    Jormungand wrote: »
    Knights of Sidonia turned out to be quite good, though the first season is very short (12 episodes). Highly recommended to science fiction fans. Unfortunately, due to the season's size, there are far more questions than answers right now.
    It's not just quite good, it's amazing! Wonder why nobody talks about it. And until now the only sci-fi anime I liked was Gundam SEED.

Also there are more questions answered than in Attack On Titan. =p
    In fact Knights of Sidonia is fairly closely related to reality (as in a realistic view on the future), so many of the things you can "imagine" yourself quite well.
    edited July 2014
    Strawberry; I understand they DID play up a lot of charas to be meaner in the original dub. I was just checking Sailor Moon Uncensored and..

Seems he was made to be ruder in the original dub. Now I kinda am wary of that site b/c of the worst person EVER in the SM fandom is associated with the webmaster, but I think that webmaster is right in this case. ^^

Anyway, I can't tell much from a small sample but i kinda like the translation this time; they kept the humor. They left out the music in that sample but that was prolly before they blended it in; we'll see next Monday. Voices sorta fit both of them imo, but they also need to grow into the roles some.("Stupid jerk in those purple pleated pants..What a wierdo.")
    ^^
    My personal page
    edited July 2014
    In fact Knights of Sidonia is fairly closely related to reality (as in a realistic view on the future), so many of the things you can "imagine" yourself quite well.
    That's one of the reasons I like it so much. It's rare that hard sci-fi (or at least, harder than usual) Japanese products are localized. Well, it's a rare subgenre in general I suppose.
    edited July 2014
    Another dub preview clip!

I think, if you consider the original Japanese, Luna sounds just fine. Um..she's not a old british lady.
    My personal page
    edited July 2014
    Michelle Ruff, talented as always (though her voices tends to be very samey). I know Luna was always suppose to sound young, but Luna without a British accent will take some getting used to.

Another thing I'll probably get over soon enough is that Usagi keeps reminding me of Airy from Bravely Default. Talk about your bizarre connections... :P
    Bravely second...

edited July 2014
    I present to you Jadeite and Queen Beryl! THIRD DUB CLIP!

I think that works. ^^
    My personal page
    edited July 2014
    Both of them are fantastic fits. They even sound amazingly similar to the original TV dub actors. :)
    Bravely second...