If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Anime

Comments

• maryadaviesmaryadavies She Shoots For The Stars Somewhere east of Atlanta, GAModerators
    edited March 2016
    SECOND SM CRYSTAL EP! I hope those that don't have paid CR can see this:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/sailor-moon-crystal/episode-2-ami-sailor-mercury-657709

Also surprise! We get to see Ami's transformation; it's still jarring but no where near as bad as Moon's for some reason. (I think I can see what they're doing here; they're taking the original anime transformations and updating them with CGI) There were some changes from the manga (I should know, I have the manga right here! Rerelease, Kodansha) but it was mostly updates, like Usagi being able to use a computer.

[Edit] Found it separately. If Toei finds this, I will PERSONALLY remove the video from this post and any post it's quoted from b/c I HATE nonworking videos, so if you quote my post, don't be surprised if I edit it later. And don't take it personal!:

>>Video removed due to account being taken down!<<
    93a24222217c9c20a686db8be4676a84.jpg
    My personal page
    New to the boards? Confused? Find the answers here.
  • Cassandra RamosCassandra Ramos Eternal Kyoshi Administrators
    edited July 2014
    As I said I would I've been re-watching the original TV dub of Sailor Moon. Unfortunately, it seems I lost several episodes near the end of the first season and the beginning of R (almost the entire Doom Tree arc). I imagine I can find them fairly easily on the Internet, but I thought for sure I had the whole dub series recorded to tape, then transferred to DVD. Ah well.

The nostalgia is extremely strong with this one. I have a hard time taking off the rose-colored glasses, especially once Terri Hawkes takes over the role of Sailor Moon and and the series hits more of a stride. I know how much DIC butchered it (seriously, they make 4KIDS looks like Atlus USA), and it's a very formulaic series, but I can't help but love it. Maybe I can judge the Viz re-release more fairly. Good Arceus, I'm even finding the cheesy 90s-tastic dub insert songs enjoyable, especially "My Only Love" and "Carry On"

Sailor Moon may be a big reason why I appreciate character development so much. It's all over place, but it's especially prominent for Sailor Moon herself. No other cartoon I had seen before really had much of it.

I'm also still enjoying Attack on Titan and Space Dandy. Haven't been watching much anime other than those two (and three with Sailor Moon, I guess).
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• maryadaviesmaryadavies She Shoots For The Stars Somewhere east of Atlanta, GAModerators
    edited July 2014
    Speaking of Sailor Moon: You can find new dub clips here: http://hulu.tv/h9Q . (Sorry Canadian fans, I'll see if there will be those two on youtube). Keep watching after the transformation clip; there's one more.
    My personal page
    edited July 2014
    It sounds like Mercury and Mars are trying to channel the previous dub actors. It'll take some getting used to, but the new actors are doing decent jobs.
    Bravely second...

edited July 2014
    Well, found this. WARNING! This was a shakeycam from the convention; you weren't supposed to tape but someone managed to anyway. This video's days are numbered; Viz will proly remove it soon as they find it. Please remove the vid if you quote this post; if it vanishes, it will be edited out.
    <<As I warned, video removed b/c Toei got mad.>>

For Rei and Ami, this is a better taste of their charas I think. Umino..Well, he's possessed so don't judge him here too harshly.
    My personal page
    edited March 2016
    Pardon the double post (Isn't there any interesting anime on lately besides SM Crystal, SM and Sword Art Online 2?) but the Rei ep is out. There's a very GLARING difference from the manga this time:
    Spoiler:
    in the manga, Ami stays where she is while tracking Usagi and by some miracle, gets the pen to Rei. In Crystal, she transports to where Usagi is via tracking her henshin.

There may of been some animation mistakes but Rei's henshin turned out pretty good:

>>Video removed due to it being taken down<<
    My personal page
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited August 2014
    If you like magical girl, the current Precure is pretty good.
    I will also recommend to you Fate Kaleid Liner Prisma Ilya. Season 2 is on now, but season 1 is good too if you haven't watched it yet. It's the standard magical girl story, but this is not a bad thing.
  • ironmageironmage chaotic neutral observer SaskatoonFull Members
    edited August 2014
    I've been giving almost every series being simulcast on Crunchyroll a try, with variable results. Here are my notes from the last season, and a couple from this season. This list is already too long, so I'll wait a bit before reporting on some of the others. TL;DR: I liked the blue ones. I hated the red ones.

Argevollen (just started). By the middle of the first episode, I was pretty excited. Military science fiction, politics, and mass-production mecha! ...but by episode two, we've introduced the "special prototype
    Only the livin' have the privilege of sayin' they'll fight ta the last breath.
    And words like conviction and resolve don't mean much to a dead man...
    --Raven (Tales of Vesperia)
  • DarkEiraStarDarkEiraStar Member Full Members
    edited August 2014
    Sailor Moon is my absolute favorite anime of all time. Some girls dream about their perfect wedding. When I was a little girl I wanted to grow up to be Sailor Moon. I am really enjoying the Reboot to this series. I'm so glad there doing it. The story is much deeper in Crystal, and so far Tuxedo Mask hasn't thrown one rose.
    edited August 2014
    Jormungand wrote: »
    As of yesterday, Knights of Sidonia began streaming on Netflix. I've just started it myself. It's a cross between mecha and hard-boiled sci-fi, the latter of which the original mangaka is well-known for. The English version is actually exclusive to Netflix, as they funded the localization. You can stream it dubbed or subbed with Japanese VO.

http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/70301578?trkid=2361637

I think this is the kind of anime we need more of in general. And I'm impressed Netflix made this happen, as their current selection of (streaming) anime is pretty terrible.
    I do like this show, but it's still science fiction. Ask yourself the following question: If a cow could photosynthesize (as well as plants do) over the entire surface of its hide and lived on earth at 45 degrees latitude, what percent of its energy could be obtained from sunlight? The answer turns out to be 1-2%. So photosynthesis would save food (if genetically engineered into humans), it just wouldn't save very much food.

The enemy behavior appears to be pure fantasy. All creatures that live in the vacuum of space are pure fantasy, because no mechanism is known whereby they could survive.

That said, I do like the show. The final arc of Season 1, which begins in episode 10, had me on the edge of my seat for sure.
    I also finished Love Live! S2. They were going for heartwarming in this series about song idols, and it's certainly that. The musical numbers are nothing to write home about; I think I liked Idolmaster's music more.
    I also finished Escha&Logy (anime). They were also going for heartwarming in this one. I'm glad they gave Logy some lines in the final arc (starting episode 10), I was wondering when he'd start to participate actively in the story.
    edited August 2014
    !!!!!!!!!
    Speaking of classic anime coming back out of nowhere: CR HAS CARDCAPTOR SAKURA, both a newish dub to us and a new sub. http://www.crunchyroll.com/cardcaptor-sakura

This is from the NIS America re-release. I think CR sublicensed it.

Sorry about the pun XD.
    My personal page
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited September 2014
    Been watching Initial D off of Netflix and man am I glad I sat down and watched the series. Maybe a little bit older if you can make it through the animation of the first series it's pretty darn good
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
    edited September 2014
    So my wife was watching the new dub of classic SailorMoon and it's not to bad. That led me to ANN to look up voice actors and it looks like not a single person of any of the original Voice team reprised their role, though several of the people were interested in doing so
    sig.gif

and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

edited March 2016
    Surprised that Mary didn't post this one earlier but we have JUPITER my personal favorite scout (along with Pluto)
    >>Video removed due to it being taken down<<

Edit: Also last night one of my friends was sad cause he couldn't find Comarite High School (one of the odder series I'd seen) and we had a deep discussion in regards to ADV going belly up years ago.

Also with the Sailormoon Dub (both Crystal and redo) they replaced the entire cast with no one reprising there roles
    sig.gif

edited September 2014
    Just found out there are more episodes of Initial D that came out far more recently that haven't been licensed in US. I will have to track these down
    sig.gif

• Alex FullerAlex Fuller Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited September 2014
    Since my last post I've gone through the first season the Familiar of Zero, which was alright. Goofy but enjoyable. I've also just finished the first half of From the New World (and rewatched Baccano! - still full of awesome), found it to be one of the most engaging and interesting ones I've watched recently, certainly the best of my last few. Heard that the action and overall plot really builds up from this point too so looking forward to see how it turns out. While I'm waiting for the second half to be released here I'm thinking about making a start on Robotics;Notes.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • ClixClix Former Listmaster Full Members
    edited September 2014
    From the New World is pretty great. Only real flaw is the first few episodes with the obvious budget and time-constraint issues. It's rare to actually find a horror-like series that is legitimately creepy.

Well, went to Fry's today (first time there), in order to get an SD card to replace the default that came with my 3DS (figure I'll want Smash Bros digitally so I can boot it up whenever the situation calls for it). While there, I also got some awesome buys in the anime section! For $19-20 each, I got The Count of Monte Cristo, Big Windup, and Beck! Yay!! Slowly build up a collection of some of my favorites. I should probably nab up Rose of Versailles soon.
    edited September 2014
    Just finished watching the latest episode of Space Dandy, which may or may not be the end(?). I don't want to say too much for obvious reasons, but I will say, there apparently is a sort of bizarre continuity to this show all along, it seems.

And aside from Attack on Titan, I've also been watching more Ultra Maniac. It's not a stellar anime by any means, but it continues to be goofy enough to be amusing and also charming.
    Bravely second...

• RainaRaina Member Full Members
    edited September 2014
    I love Space Dandy. I agree with you, it does have a weird continuity thing to it but it's fun to watch. I've been watching Fairy Tail and Glass Mask which has been fun. I'm not sure what I'm going to watch next. One of my friends is trying to get me to watch the new episodes of Sailor Moon with her.... I might cave and do it.
    edited September 2014
    TheAnimeMan; Sorry I was late on that, things have been crazy around teh house lately. It turned out to be a good epi too :)

Just please do me a favor; if Toei gets mayd about that video, please edit your post and pull the video. They haven't yet about SM Crystal transformations other than early leak on Sailor Moon's, but I've seen them get mayd so often on the Precure Wiki about henshins that I half expect them to get pissed eventually. I don't think there's any rule about posting them though, so go right ahead if I'm preoccupied. Just I know Toei has been a bit anal about their property in the past.

But yeah, pull it if it suddenly becomes broken and you notice, please. And don't take it personal if it happens and I end up fixing it. ^^
    My personal page
    edited September 2014
    Oh I won't I know all about the who Property rights, and IP and all that stuff. Dad does some Intellectual Property law so if we have to take it down it's cool :D
    sig.gif

edited September 2014
    Finished in Summer:
    1. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders - I had a lot of fun, though early Part 3 is definitely weaker. At least it was nice to see something of a budget from David Productions. 7/10
    2. HQ!! - I look forward to more one day. The games were really well done, and the cast is pretty fun. Luckily, largely stayed in the realm of realism. 7/10
    3. Baby Steps - I really, really look forward to the next season next spring. I loved the main character and the highly detailed and analytic nature of the show. Sadly, the adaption itself is wonky, such as poorly implemented stock 3D spectators behind the court fences. If the show wasn't so analytic, this would probably have been a total crash and burn. 6/10
    4. Rowdy Sumo Wrestler Matsutaro - Overall, the series is a great concept and character arc bogged down by absolutely crappy filler. The beginning, middle, and end episodes are glimpses into some brilliance, but the childishness of the other episodes compromises the whole damn thing. 4/10
    5. Glasslip - Wow, this was surprisingly bad. Hell, hypnotically bad. The direction was a mess, noticeably the pointless and abundant stylizes still-frame shots. The script is riddled with bad dialogue that apparently makes no sense in even Japanese. Thus, the majority of the cast are unlikable and kind of alien. Really, prettiness is the show's single merit. 3/10
    6. Barakamon - Funi was stupidly slow in actually getting this thing out the door. By the time they uploaded the first few episodes, I had already decided what I was going to be watching. Oh well.
    7. Aldnoah.Zero - I dropped it on episode two. The situation was hopeless, so obviously something stupid was going to have to show up next episode to turn the tide of war. I just didn't want to see what.
    8. Space Dandy Season 2 - Well, the second season was even less consistent in quality than season one, but the highs were really strong. The ending was okay. I wish it had delivered a bit more with a two-part ending. 7/10
    9. Survival Game Club! - Absolutely hilarious. Go watch this one now. I consider this the surprise of the season and potentially the year. 7/10
    10. Blue Spring Ride - A standard shojo romance series that got at least something done for 12 episodes. I overall enjoyed it, but it was by no means revolutionary. 5/10
    11. Persona 4 Golden - The first episode was better animated, but the rest of the show was lackluster. It is a crappy supplementary show for the original P4 anime. It's kind of amazing how much it dropped the ball, though I am not sure whatever kind of model they were using was even salvageable from the get-go. 3/10
    12. Terror of Resonance - The show tried so hard to be something, but it largely feel apart. I can't quite say how, but I think the biggest issue is the likability of the cast. The techno-babble was also kind of laughable, which is probably not as good thing. 7/10
    13. Nobunaga Concerto - While certainly not eye-gougingly bad, I just couldn't handle a show of entirely 3D models. Also, I felt like I had enough stuff to watch.
    14. -Story Series Season Two +a - Yay! I love me some stylized talking. So happy this finally came out. Now SHAFT just needs to deliver that goddamn movie. 8/10
    15. When Do You Crush the Fried Egg? - As predicted, no one subbed this.

Continuing into Fall:
    1. Ace of the Diamond - Well, much to my surprise, it continues. The pacing is kind of slowing down, but we are also reaching the climatic finale of the tournament against the main rival team that's been hyped since the beginning. That game and the build up could actually be a whole cour. That said, it would also be cool to continue on to Nationals, assuming they win.
    2. Sailor Moon - Not surprising, but this is horrible in execution. Oh Toei, I want to believe you had some degree of standards at least at some point in time, but that might be generous. The character models are rarely on-model, and the two week airing schedule does nothing to improve this, at all. I will keep watching, but I am not expecting much better. Also, at 26 episodes and with them thus-far doing an episode=chapter format, this might not end very comfortably. Hopefully the climatic episodes will be two-parters.
    3. Sword Art Online II - While still very much crap, I think GGO has thus far been the least awful arc. The only terrible episodes were the middle with Sinon's breakdowns. At least she hasn't officially been swallowed into the Kirito harem. Yet. I am worried about what arc comes next, though...

Premiering in Summer:

1. Yona of the Dawn - A shojo fantasy series with actual stakes might be interesting.
    2. Amagi Brilliant Park - With Kyoani, this should at least look great.
    3. I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying - A comedy series about a married couple. Sounds kind of novel.
    4. Cloudy Laugh - I am sensing fujo-bait, but the idea of a historical series might be appealing.
    5. Kokkuri - Sounds like a cute series.
    6. Parasyte - I have never touched the manga, but my friends liked it. Also, it's nice to have a series that will have an actual conclusion.
    7. Ronja the Robber's Daughter - A Studio Ghibli TV series is kind of novel. Though it is Goro Miyazaki, so maybe I should be worried. That and the fact that I don't like Studio Ghibli.
    8. White Box - I think I may be contractually obligated to watch P.A. Works by this point.
    9. Terraformars - This is suppose to be one hell of a show, and the monsters are at least creepy for once. I'll give it a try.
    10. The Seven Deadly Sins - Might be a fun action series. Hopefully it deserves the awards it's garnered.
    11. World Trigger - I am reading the manga and enjoying it. However, I don't expect much, since it's Toei.
    12. Your Lie in April - Sounds like heartfelt romance, and should be music heavily involved.
    13. Pedal Nerd: Grande Road - I was looking forward to this.
    edited September 2014
    Clix wrote: »
    7. Aldnoah.Zero - I dropped it on episode two. The situation was hopeless, so obviously something stupid was going to have to show up next episode to turn the tide of war. I just didn't want to see what.

Quite the contrary. Nothing showed up in episode three to turn the tide of the war, or even close. Indeed, it was the plausible way in which the "invincible" Kataphrakt was dealt with that sold me on the series. It was a ploy worthy of a hard-science-fiction series, without a deus-ex-machina in sight (not at that point, anyway). YMMV, I guess.

Anyway, since it's that time of year:

Nagi no Asukara (A Lull in the Sea) (finished): Long ago, the Sea God took a human woman as his wife. This is beautifully drawn, with charming characters. You might need to take some classes in graph theory just to plot the relationship diagram in the second half, though.

One Week Friends (finished): Were I to buy the DVDs, this would go on the shelf between "Living for the Day After Tomorrow" and "Ef: A Tale of Memories". The premise is brilliant, but it fades a bit after the first few episodes. It's still quite cute, but strengthening the romantic element might have improved this.

Gun Gale Online [Sword Art Online II] (almost finished(?)): Thankfully better than ALfheim Online; somewhat better pacing than Sword Art Online. But I can't help but think that the way each arc has Kirito paired with a different female lead is following the pattern of a dating-sim adaptation. We've gone through the tsundere, the little sister type, and the introverted megane-ko, next is...the student council president, I guess?

Noragami [Stray God] (finished): A long-forgotten Japanese god makes his living by doing odd jobs. A unexpectedly original character piece. If you enjoyed The Eccentric Family, you might find something of interest here.

Akame ga Kill! (almost finished(?)): A group of assassins, armed with supernatural weapons, battle an evil empire. There's nothing particularly original here, but it's a pretty dark, and mostly well-executed action series. My fluff series of the season.

Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun
    (finished): A shoujo manga artist enrolled in high-school enlists his classmates to assist with backgrounds, shading, etc., and ends up using them as character models for his writing. The characters are absurd, and the resulting series is spectacularly funny. Not to be confused with the abysmal The Manga Artist and His Assistants.

Sabagebu! [Survival Game Club] (finished): Any attempt at explaining this would just sound bizarre. But it's funny. Really funny. Especially the Yakuza episode.

RWBY (continuing): I'm watching this for the spectacular fight sequences, and definitely not because I have a slight crush on Yang. Regrettably, the writing, voice acting, music, etc. are mediocre, sometimes even amateurish.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (first two seasons): This is over-the-top, almost to the point that I think it deserves to be parodied (assuming it isn't already a parody of something), but it's still pretty entertaining. If nothing else, this series Does Vampires Right. I'll expect I'll give Stardust Crusaders a watch, eventually.

Yamishibai (continuing): Japanese supernatural horror, in 4-minute episodes. The first season was creepy as hell, and totally worth watching. The second season is ... quite lame, actually..

Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya (almost finished): In this series, Rin is relegated to a background role, and Illya becomes a Magical Girl. The first season was okayish, but the second season is really awful. There are occasional flashes of that darkness that draws me to the Fate series, but it's buried in juvenile humour, and excessive fanservice. I'm going to finish this, but it's been a real slog. Fate/Zero was better.

Nobunaga Concerto (continuing..?): Same pattern as "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court", but with a high-school student in sengokujidai Japan. I seem to be stuck in the middle of this; that's probably a bad sign. I like the snippets of Japanese history, but think the main character is an idiot.

Locodol (almost finished): A cute slice-of-life series, focusing on a pair of Local Idols. They promote local businesses, preside at civic events, exterminate wasps, and wash windows. Slow pacing, but this series lives off its character interactions.

Persona 4 Golden: The Animation (finished): If I hadn't played P4, I think I would find this completely meaningless. If you approach it as a series of disjointed, out-of-sequence vignettes, then some of the individual scenes aren't bad, but the story as a whole is kind of a mess. I can't recommend this one. If I wasn't a Persona fanboy, I'd be breaking out the red ink.

Momo-kyun no Sword (1-episode drop): A female version of Momotarou, I guess. Nothing here but fan service.

HaNaYaMaTa (dropped): Something about Japanese folk dancing...? The only thing that caught my attention was the weird character designs, and not in a good way.

Bladedance of Elementalers, Hamatora, Invaders of the Rokujyoma, Magimoji Rurumo, Love Live, Sailor Moon (all six dropped): None of these were interesting enough to continue with, distinct enough to warrant their own entry, or even worth the extra click to highlight them in red.
    edited October 2014
    ironmage wrote: »
    Momo-kyun no Sword (1-episode drop): A female version of Momotarou, I guess. Nothing here but fan service.
    One episode is all it took for me, too. There are these works that I'm not sure who they are for. You have Momotarou, a kids' story, and very adult character designs. Who is it for?

Akame ga Kill!
    Who is this one for? People who like both fanservice and gore! That's can't be very many people. Another problem with this: humor and gore. It leads to mood whiplash too often. At least the creator is equally willing to
    Spoiler:
    kill off
    both female and male characters.
    3. I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying - A comedy series about a married couple. Sounds kind of novel.
    I'm sure there is some couple you know that this applies to: people who are really different, fight all the time, and still love each other. For me it's my parents.
    Quite the contrary. Nothing showed up in episode three to turn the tide of the war, or even close. Indeed, it was the plausible way in which the "invincible" Kataphrakt was dealt with that sold me on the series. It was a ploy worthy of a hard-science-fiction series, without a deus-ex-machina in sight (not at that point, anyway). YMMV, I guess.
    There's no denying the guy has plot armor. The named characters who are battled have trouble hitting him, but no trouble with redshirts.
    edited October 2014
    There's no denying the guy has plot armor. The named characters who are battled have trouble hitting him, but no trouble with redshirts.

Do you mean Inaho? Yeah, his luck stat is pretty high. It's a wonder that he didn't die in episode five. (
    Spoiler:
    A training model surviving close-range combat with a superior melee-specialized opponent
    ?
    Spoiler:
    Reactive armor or not,
    I think he got off easy. His objective
    Spoiler:
    of getting the enemy Kat into the water
    made perfect sense, but his tactics were foolhardy, especially for someone being portrayed as a genius.)
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited October 2014
    For those who have Crunchyroll Premium, you can watch Episode 0 of the Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works anime. It's technically the prequel to all the routes, but they're tying it into the Unlimited Blade Works path this time around, and once again ufotable is working their magic.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    edited October 2014
    So okay. The newest SM Crystal ep is out and..

It's again really close to the manga. Two minor differences tho:

1. I won't spoil it but Luna's a really bad liar. She doesn't have to be a really bad liar in the manga but she does here. You'll know what I mean if you watch it.
    2. In the original, it's VIDEOTAPES not DVDs that the rental store uses. But I'd consider that a update.
    My personal page
    edited October 2014
    DVDs weren't even the most offense use of tech upgrade. Try Ami's TABLET. That really threw me off for a second.
    edited October 2014
    Yeah, there's another update, she had a notebook PC in the original, didn't she?
    My personal page
    edited October 2014
    No clue. It's been 15 or so years since I saw the original, and I've never read the manga. Frankly, my only "recent" memories of the series prior to this new adaptation was from the defunct abridged series of varying quality.