If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Anime

Comments

• FrozenbabylonFrozenbabylon POW! Full Members
    edited September 2007
    <div>
    (Zelgodes @ Sep. 20 2007,08:51)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Did anyone else just see the obvious statement train just go by?</div>
    Choo choo! All aboard!
  • doriandorian Member Full Members
    edited September 2007
    <div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">NGE was a pretty brilliant idea mired in an often horribly pretentious and meandering script. Pseudo-philosophy is fine and all, but an enormous portion of the series is dedicated to characters throwing out vaguely metaphysical questions while floating in non-physical voids.</div>

I've always taken NGE as more psychological than philosophical. Watching the internal conflicts in the characters just let me see more characterization. I think most of the philosophical stuff was simply framed around the characters' inner struggles, so I never really minded it.

Anyway, I've finally gotten around to watching the first Gundam show, though I'm still far from done. All I can say is that I've been missing out on a lot.

Anyone ever watched the dubbed version (not sure if it's in the subbed version). The ultra-high pitched falsetto in the commercial segue just. makes. me. want. to. murder. Ahhhhh!!!!!! mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif

• Zidane TribalZidane Tribal Banned Banned Users
    edited September 2007
    I like how female characters in anime like Konata in Lucky*Star have kitty lips all the time even when they're talking. What is with that in anime? Does that add to the kawaii factor? rock.gif
    edited September 2007
    I will find you and shoot you if you use `Kawaii` again in a non-ironic way.
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited September 2007
    <div>
    (Frozenbabylon @ Sep. 21 2007,19:01)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">I will find you and shoot you if you use `Kawaii` again in a non-ironic way.</div>
    Kawaii
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • SorenSoren ..not a pony.. Full Members
    edited September 2007
    *Dies laughing* Oh crap. Thank god he's not by his computer right now.
    Driving FB bonkers for years. Paw's Wife.
  • Aquila HawkAquila Hawk O_o Full Members
    edited September 2007
    That... was... kowaii

Anyway, I saw the Bleach movie also. I thought it was pretty good, and it didn't drag on. Also, the plot developed at the right pace so as not to lose itself to fights with blank souls, or Ichigo corpse jokes. Although, I do feel that some characters were brought in for no reason *Cough*Chad*Cough*Ishida*Cough*. I'm sorry, I've had a bad cold that makes me write out my coughs as they happen. sarcasm.gif
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    AquilaHawk on Battle.Net: Currently playing Starcraft II
  • CidolfasCidolfas Member Full Members
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, they definitely did a sort of "look, the whole cast appears! Blink and you miss it!"
  • Aquila HawkAquila Hawk O_o Full Members
    edited September 2007
    Well, Orihime made sense. Ichigo got the kise kicked out of him, so who else would heal him. And since it's a shonen anime, Ichigo needed to be beaten like a rug for it to make any sense. laugh.gif
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    AquilaHawk on Battle.Net: Currently playing Starcraft II
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited October 2007
    They changed the voice actors in the dub of One Piece airing on Cartoon Network. It changed hands from 4Kids to Funimation.

It'll probably take a little while to get used to the new ones.
    edited October 2007
    I must see the bleach movie. *puts that on her list of things to get*
  • ZelgodesZelgodes A Mastermind!? Full Members
    edited October 2007
    <div>
    (flamethrower @ Oct. 05 2007,09:55)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">They changed the voice actors in the dub of One Piece airing on Cartoon Network. It changed hands from 4Kids to Funimation.

It'll probably take a little while to get used to the new ones.</div>
    I just noticed that too when I watched it last Saturday. The only thing I can say is "THANK YOU O MERCIFUL GOD IN HEAVEN!" I really like the show, but the voices just kept making me cringe all the time, especially Luffy and Ussop. I'm all too happy to see that pirates are finally sounding more serious, even if bandages still heal everything.
  • Tigron111Tigron111 Member Full Members
    edited October 2007
    Well, it would've taken a long time for the buggy arc to finish if we had to wait for Zoro's wounds to heal before they could move him. Man, did he get pwnt!

Besides, nobody complains that bandages heal everythign in WoW, but that's a whole other kettle of phish.
  • Slayer of GodSlayer of God Member Full Members
    edited October 2007
    Bless FUNimation for making One Piece actually watchable.

Btw, Colleen Clickenbeard as Luffy? Major lolz right there.
    Within the spreading darkness, I pledged a vow to the revolution.
  • J_SenseiJ_Sensei Member Full Members
    edited October 2007
    So anyone else seen the first ep of Gundam Double O? The characters are a BIT on the androgynous side, and the music is a little too rockish to be Gundam. But overall, I'm interested. Not a bad first ep. Thoughts?
    edited October 2007
    Where was the new Gundam on? *Facepalms* I wanna seeee.... *really doesn't like mechs... no... not her*
    edited October 2007
    It premiered in Japan on Oct 6.
  • AnimeGamer183AnimeGamer183 Member Full Members
    edited October 2007
    CHRIST a new Gundam series has started airing? Yeah... I havent been keeping up with anime hardly at all lately... Besides Naruto and Bleach, and the occasional Romeo X Juliet episode (which is an excellent anime)

• Tigron111Tigron111 Member Full Members
    edited October 2007
    A new gundam series? Why was I not informed??? *goes off in a berserker rage, even though I never asked*
  • Cerpin TaxtCerpin Taxt Member Full Members
    edited October 2007
    The only Gundam that I truly loved was G. However, I'm not well versed in the Gundam franchise as a whole.
    edited October 2007
    Gah. G Gundam is my least favorite. It had SOOOO much potential, but all the stupid gundams at the end just killed it. For Christ's sake, Nobel Gundam wears a sailor fuku.

That said, God Gundam and Master Gundam rock the house.
    edited October 2007
    Does anyone know when that Animal Crossing anime is gonna come over here. I had the game for my DS for a while, and after I traded it in my jaw dropped when I saw previews of it in Japanese on the web. Looks EXACTLY like the source material it is based on.

Anyway, what's with that old Berserk anime? All I know is that it's got some soldier guy with a cybernetic left forearm and some dude with light-bluish hair that looks like a grrl. If you guys watched those various AMV Hell clips I posted in Web Stuff you'll know what I'm going on about.
    edited October 2007
    Can't you just pop open Wikipedia and just do a little research before asking questions about something you have no idea about?

I don't even know what you're asking for. `What's with this...?` It sounds like you're trying to do a Seinfeld routine.
    edited October 2007
    <div>
    (Frozenbabylon @ Oct. 09 2007,13:59)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Can't you just pop open Wikipedia and just do a little research before asking questions about something you have no idea about?</div>
    I did, but I didn't seem to understand it. If you saw it, why don't you tell me what it's all about and what's the deal with that blue-haired grrl?
    edited October 2007
    That's Griffith. He's the leader of the Merc group that Guts eventually joins, The Band of the Hawk, He's actually a total jerk.

Actually.. The whole series is crazy insane and it's hard to really explain everything...
  • doriandorian Member Full Members
    edited October 2007
    i've only seen one gundam series, the original one. i liked it, but i had trouble following Z gundam's movie compilation, even though I heard it was excellent. still, the seriousness of the series has me hooked to want to watch more gundam.

speaking of seriousness, anyone watch seinen anime? i'm in love with that genre, but it's hard to find info about it.
  • kittenofthepackkittenofthepack It bes a cat hat! Full Members
    edited October 2007
    I'm having a serious brian fart but was Berserk on the adult swim line up? Maybe I'm thinking of something else. :s

I looked at Wikipedia and it sounds they the series got messed up really badly, which is yuck for any series.
    edited October 2007
    I don't remember Adult Swim ever running Berserk. That would suck if they did, because I never heard anything about it.

As for all the Gundam talk, the only ones I've watched significant amounts of were G Gundam, 08th MS Team, and 0083. 0083 was my favorite, but I can't really remember much of 08th MS Team, and I thought G Gundam went more for quantity than quality. It was fun at first because I liked the idea of actually having the system hooked up to their motions, but it was just too out there for me. I wish Cartoon Network would have kept running Gundam SEED though.
  • AnimeGamer183AnimeGamer183 Member Full Members
    edited October 2007
    Ok, so I watched Gundam 00 episode 1, and it F***ing rocked. This is best premiere episode of an anime, that I have seen in a long time. Very spectactular first ep that first scene with the kids has not been far from my mind ever since I watched it, chilling intro to the anime. Take note that this is the first Gundam series to take place in the AD timeline (2307, all the other series have their own timeline or as for the original Mobile Suit Gundam series, multiple OTHER gundam series taking place in that same timeline), and alot of the Mobile Suits looks really advanced and futuristic, where they have pretty much kept to the same look for all the mechs in most of the other series. think, more Xenosaga like mechs (except for the gundams, they still have the vintage signature look to them)

On another note, I started watching some OLD SCHOOL anime, that most of your probably havent heard of... and if you have I commend you. The show is called Iria Zeiram The Animation, and it was shown on Sci-Fi's old Japanimation segment they used to do damn near 10 years ago... why they stoped it, god only knows. But I have not watched this anime since it orginally aired, its only 6 episodes, and Sci-Fi split it up into 2 saturday viewings (first 3 episodes one saturday, last 3 episodes the next saturday). This is one of the shows that really made me fall in love with anime at such a young age (was only 12-14), this along side Akira and the original Ghost in the Shell, and movies like Venus Wars, Legend of Crystania among some other seriously old school anime. I watch this anime and it made me realize that the production values and original content arent nearly what they used to be for anime. (btw any of those older animes I just mentioned are good, especially Legend of Crystania since this is an RPG forum). If you liked something like Outlaw Star, Iria is similar to that.
    edited October 2007
    Oh yeah, you know what I haven't seen in years? Galaxy Express 999. I didn't know there was a series too, I just remember seeing one of the movies, but I'll have to look that up sometime.