If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Anime

Comments

• AnimeGamer183AnimeGamer183 Member Full Members
    edited October 2007
    They showed that on Sci-Fi as well, I watched it, dont remember jack about it, besides a train that could like travel through space or time travel (or both). Maybe ill see about finding that myself.
  • doriandorian Member Full Members
    edited October 2007
    I just watched the first episode of G Gundam, and I'm pretty unimpressed. It seems they tried to make Domon have more style over substance as the brooding hero. I'll try to watch a few more, but so far I don't have very high hopes.

edit: nevermind. the whole childish feel of it and the tournament-based element just make me want to hurl. bored.gif

Still interested in more seinen

• Seargent06Seargent06 Member Full Members
    edited October 2007
    BLEACH is a good anime series.
    [url=\"http://obelisk1planethell.blogspot.com\"]Visit my blog[/url]

\"Smile It will confuse people and make them wonder what your thinking\"
    edited October 2007
    ^ speaking of which dattebayo has stoped releasing bleach... WTF, I was very saddened by this news... WRYYYYYY???
  • ZelgodesZelgodes A Mastermind!? Full Members
    edited October 2007
    Pressure from the company that produces it, maybe? I know Youtube always went around deleting episodes of it that were put up, so it's probably something to do with the lack of licensing. That's why I stick with le manga.

• CidolfasCidolfas Member Full Members
    edited October 2007
    Probably a good thing. I don't know why I was still watching it. Complete waste of brainpower. This is the excuse I need to quit even thinking about it. 8p
  • FrozenbabylonFrozenbabylon POW! Full Members
    edited October 2007
    The fansub company? Who cares.

I'll wait for the english anyway.

edited October 2007
    Wait, did I completely and utterly forget to give the slightest mention to FLCL? Man, those were some of the greatest 6 weeks of my anim? life. Just got the whole series on my PSP for some Furi Kuri on the go. Definitely right up there with my favorite series.
    edited October 2007
    <div>
    (AnimeGamer183 @ Oct. 17 2007,09:44)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">^ speaking of which dattebayo has stoped releasing bleach... WTF, I was very saddened by this news... WRYYYYYY???</div>
    tricky bastids at DB, announced that they were LYING about dropping bleach... and even dared to attached LOL to the end... -_- I feel so owned.
    edited October 2007
    Eh.
    One thing I just found out is that there's extra content after the credits of each Bleach episode. O_o I never knew; I just quit when I reached the end credits (that song annoys me to no end) and deleted it.
    Now I'm going through my Recycling Bin. 8-)
  • Aquila HawkAquila Hawk O_o Full Members
    edited October 2007
    You didn't know about the Omakes!? Come on, nothing beats <span class="spoiler">Ishida Ryuuken and Kurosaki Isshin (in Shinigami gear) talking about their smoking habits, while Ryuuken is smoking in his hospital... under a no smoking sign...</span> Ok, there are some better omakes then that one, but it amused me.

Also, you realize that DB does that all the time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    AquilaHawk on Battle.Net: Currently playing Starcraft II
  • Zidane TribalZidane Tribal Banned Banned Users
    edited October 2007
    Here's a preview of that Animal Crossing anime I asked about a while ago. IMHO this might beat the hell out of that Sonic The Hedgehog cartoon which never got a third season. Hope they hire a lotta A-list VAs and have cameos in it! thumbs-up.gif

edited October 2007
    <div>
    (Aquila Hawk @ Oct. 18 2007,12:13)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">You didn't know about the Omakes!? Come on, nothing beats <span class="spoiler">Ishida Ryuuken and Kurosaki Isshin (in Shinigami gear) talking about their smoking habits, while Ryuuken is smoking in his hospital... under a no smoking sign...</span> Ok, there are some better omakes then that one, but it amused me.

Also, you realize that DB does that all the time.</div>
    Well, I was half expecting to them to say it was a joke (cause yes they do that alot), but I also was preparing myself incase it was true... although it seemed ludacris.
  • MiyosakaMiyosaka Member Full Members
    edited October 2007
    <div>
    (AnimeGamer183 @ Oct. 09 2007,20:23)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">On another note, I started watching some OLD SCHOOL anime, that most of your probably havent heard of... and if you have I commend you. The show is called Iria Zeiram The Animation, and it was shown on Sci-Fi's old Japanimation segment they used to do damn near 10 years ago... why they stoped it, god only knows. But I have not watched this anime since it orginally aired, its only 6 episodes, and Sci-Fi split it up into 2 saturday viewings (first 3 episodes one saturday, last 3 episodes the next saturday). This is one of the shows that really made me fall in love with anime at such a young age (was only 12-14), this along side Akira and the original Ghost in the Shell, and movies like Venus Wars, Legend of Crystania among some other seriously old school anime. I watch this anime and it made me realize that the production values and original content arent nearly what they used to be for anime. (btw any of those older animes I just mentioned are good, especially Legend of Crystania since this is an RPG forum). If you liked something like Outlaw Star, Iria is similar to that.</div>
    Iria is great. It's cool that SciFi is showing it.
    thanks for reading
    edited October 2007
    <div>
    (Miyosaka @ Oct. 18 2007,18:32)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE"><div>
    (AnimeGamer183 @ Oct. 09 2007,20:23)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">On another note, I started watching some OLD SCHOOL anime, that most of your probably havent heard of... and if you have I commend you. The show is called Iria Zeiram The Animation, and it was shown on Sci-Fi's old Japanimation segment they used to do damn near 10 years ago... why they stoped it, god only knows. But I have not watched this anime since it orginally aired, its only 6 episodes, and Sci-Fi split it up into 2 saturday viewings (first 3 episodes one saturday, last 3 episodes the next saturday). This is one of the shows that really made me fall in love with anime at such a young age (was only 12-14), this along side Akira and the original Ghost in the Shell, and movies like Venus Wars, Legend of Crystania among some other seriously old school anime. I watch this anime and it made me realize that the production values and original content arent nearly what they used to be for anime. (btw any of those older animes I just mentioned are good, especially Legend of Crystania since this is an RPG forum). If you liked something like Outlaw Star, Iria is similar to that.</div>
    Iria is great. It's cool that SciFi is showing it.</div>
    Nah, they dont show it anymore unfortunatley, but I actually got it, and watched the whole Iria series, was really cool.
    edited October 2007
    I didn't read your post very closely, I apologize.

Sci Fi actually does still show anime on "ani-mondays" (their terminology, not mine).
    thanks for reading
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited October 2007
    Did anyone see the 1st episode of the Death Note anime on Adult Swim this weekend? What did you think? I think I'll take a look at the 2nd episode but... it doesn't seem to be Shonen? Or maybe it's just a slow start for this anime.

I noticed Bleach wasn't on this weekend. Does it have a new timeslot?
    edited October 2007
    I just read the first volume of the Death Note manga out of the library. No, it doesn't look like a Shonen series, but it looks extremely interesting. Apparently there are two movies out already.
    edited October 2007
    <div>
    (flamethrower @ Oct. 22 2007,06:40)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Did anyone see the 1st episode of the Death Note anime on Adult Swim this weekend? What did you think? I think I'll take a look at the 2nd episode but... it doesn't seem to be Shonen? Or maybe it's just a slow start for this anime.

I noticed Bleach wasn't on this weekend. Does it have a new timeslot?</div>
    Bleach is taking a break on Adult Swim
    thanks for reading
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited October 2007
    I just started a rewatch of BERSERK and damn... I forgot how unbelievably awesome it is!

Also, Ghost in the Shell 2 was sick!

"Back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's hilarious in modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of a FF7 remake."
  • SorenSoren ..not a pony.. Full Members
    edited October 2007
    Ok... so.. I heard what my boyfriend has had to say about Death Note. Because I'm pretty adamant about watching something before I say I dun like it I taped it on my dvr this weekend. After sitting through the entire episode I have to say. What.the.hell. I agree with him. I do not care for it. I miss bleach and they can put that back on now.
    Driving FB bonkers for years. Paw's Wife.
  • doriandorian Member Full Members
    edited October 2007
    Monster. 'nuff said.

Well, not enough said, actually. Anyone watch it? I was pretty floored by it. They do spend some time on really pointless stuff (who cares about lottery tickets?), but overall I enjoyed it. I especially loved the character development. Tenma is a great protagonist, and his supporting cast are all very likable (except the thief), especially Nina, Dieter, Reichwein, and Gillen. The story pacing is excellent and suspenseful, like <span class="spoiler">in episode 30, when Reichwein meets Roberto, and Reichwein's slowly trying to edge away. My heart was really racing during that part.</span>

It's also very realistic. I really liked it when Tenma <span class="spoiler">was outside the Neo-Nazi joint and some lady pulled him back and warned him that because he's Asian he'll probably get beaten up.</span>

So yeah. One of the best series I've come across.
    edited October 2007
    I just saw Death Note this weekend too, since I was at home. Maybe would have liked it more if I hadn't already read the first 8 volumes of the manga. It just didn't have as much of that gothic feel to it that the black and white managed to pull off, not to mention the fact that the art just looked weird, or at least different. I didn't even know it was coming on until someone said something about it here.
  • Zidane TribalZidane Tribal Banned Banned Users
    edited November 2007
    Anyone here know any good magical grrl anime? Ever since I read Cardcaptor Sakura I've been getting into it. 'Course I saw the anime Cardcaptor Sakura back when it was on FOX Kids TV Saturday mornings. I noticed a huge difference between the two forms of media. For example, as I recall Sakura's last name in the English dub of the anime was Avalon. But, in the manga her last name is Kinomoto. Also, her brother was named Tory in the anime and Toya in the manga. Quite a strange bit of localization there. eh.gif
    edited November 2007
    Have you checked out Rayearth? I haven't seen any of it/them, but it's probably similar considering both are Clamp series'.
  • kittenofthepackkittenofthepack It bes a cat hat! Full Members
    edited November 2007
    Let me think because a lot of the stuff I own is not in print anymore or just plain hard to find. Wedding Peach is one I can think of off the top of my head.

Toyko Mew Mew, I think falls in that catagory but I myself have never check into it. I'm sure there is more but I just can't think of any.

(Ugh! So hard to type with one finger. Stupid cut.)

edited November 2007
    Cardcaptor Sakura (Cardcaptors in NA) was probably one of the worst translated animes to come this way during the whole "make Shounen kid friendly" years of Fox Kids and the WB's morning shows. Mainly driven by the runaway success of Pokemon, more and more anime titles were being adapted for American audiences, but because of certain stigmas attached to cartoons (ie, they're for kids), Shounen tittles were adapted to be kid friendly when they were in fact not. Think Vision of Escaflowne, it's actually kinda raunchy at times. The first season of Yu-Gi-Oh has never shown in the US (the first season in NA was actually the second season) because of gratuitous killing, by Yugi! This is what 4Kids does, they eviscerate Shounen, and make it kid friendly. We actually had a long discussion on another forum I'm on about how 4Kids would butcher Bleach. Examples of what we came up with are, changing Uryuu's name to Theodore and that the cross he carries is actually a T... for Theodore. laugh.gif

BTW: the name change in Cardcaptor Sakura was because of the translators, not the translation to Anime. laugh.gif
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2007
    There's unabashed slaughter in Yugioh that I didn't know about!? That's not right! I'll finds me that right now!
    edited November 2007
    Well, I wouldn't say slaughter, but a body that has it's soul forcibly removed and destroyed just doesn't have that fresh feeling anymore. Happens all the time in Bleach also... although it's not always elaborated on. Twice in the movie, an ambulance is called for Ichigo because Kon was absent from his otherwise dead body (makes for some amusing scenes with Ichigo fighting to get out of a stretcher). laugh.gif
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kittenofthepackkittenofthepack It bes a cat hat! Full Members
    edited November 2007
    I think Sailor Moon out ranks Sakura in bad translation. Plus it got a lot of stuff cut out. x.x