If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

White Engine now "Cross-Platform"?

shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travelFull Members
edited November 2007 in Square Enix
I sense a disturbance in the force...

From Hiromichi Tanaka one of the S-E execs speaking at GDC Austin:

<div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Last year we went through a development reorganization, with the development of our own cross-platform middleware ? the white engine. This is the foundation for FFXIII and the new MMO</div>

Source: http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=15400
Originally found by: http://blog.wired.com/games/2007/09/final-fantasy-x.html
So long & thanks for all the fish!

Comments

• ClixClix Former Listmaster Full Members
    edited September 2007
    ....Ok... Well, this can definately be used in the endless debates on FFXIII being multi-platformed. Other than that, meh.
  • shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited September 2007
    Yeah. I don't think they're moving FFXIII multiplatform anytime soon. I find it curious that they've licensed Unreal Engine 3 in addition to make the White engine multiplatform though. Personally I think this is more them letting Sony know their relationship stands these days.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!
  • risczerorisczero New Member Full Members
    edited September 2007
    Maybe PS3 - PC. Sorry but I would like to have ps3 keep some of it's exclusives. Xbox 360 got Horonobu Sakaguchi (Blue Dragon), Ps3 should keep Final fantasy at least.
  • xcumasoftxcumasoft New Member Full Members
    edited September 2007
    its not a case of ps3 haveing a choice right now...

Think.... ALL THAT MONEY YOU BUY!! a ps3 would sink a boat
  • jaiitupjaiitup New Member Full Members
    edited October 2007
    The TGS trailer for XIII did say PS3 only and it has been confirmed by multiple SE employees.
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited October 2007
    Makes no sense to even make White Engine for 360. S-E already has a license for UE3, which is a much better choice for 360 work.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • FrozenbabylonFrozenbabylon POW! Full Members
    edited October 2007
    From what I understand, Is that it's not just a graphics thing. It's more of a toolset that they can work on Next-gen games. Like I said, That's just what I got out of it.

UE3 is also good on PS3. See: Drake's Fortune and Stranglehold.
  • PhospheneHereticPhospheneHeretic Member Full Members
    edited October 2007
    Well, it's just an engine... so I really don't see what the fuss is. Seems like its a good idea if they're going to consider development of anything for the PS3. They'll already have a base in programming something to accommodate both systems, and an engine they can use if they really want to.
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited October 2007
    Oh I agree the UE3 is great on the PS3 (I have R6V and GRAW 2 for the PS3, both UE3 games). I just find it funny that they'd bother porting a PS3 engine to 360 when you have a great multi-platform engine.

Phosphene has a point though. Always good to have a bunch of tools.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • CrunchTimeCrunchTime Member Full Members
    edited November 2007
    Boohoo if it ever goes to 360 it doesn't make it a lesser game, the Assassins Creed game has turned out great.

Multiplatform games can be just as good as exclusives they just work on one for each platform's strength.
    edited November 2007
    Never say never- Again.

Told you things happen in this industry every day that you don't expect.

http://www.rpgamer.com/news/Q4-2007/111907a.html

Atlus has worked out an exclusive type of publishing deal with Microsoft in North America, this is due to the fact Xbox will always have the premier and likely largest North American audience and North American hardcore gamers.

biggrin.gif
    Playstation 3 will not, so this is why Atlus would go that road. The only reason Atlus is still developing games elsewhere, is in Japan the Playstation 3 is far ahead- although not even that is always guaranteed.

Expect something similar when FF13 in some form goes multiplatform.

• QuarkQuark Member Full Members
    edited November 2007
    CrunchTime, it would seem you have an agenda to push.

One that's not looking too good: http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/2177.html
    edited November 2007
    Sorry Quark but with your two posts, not even that is guaranteed nor does it prove anything.

Konami said the same thing about their game Metal Gear Solid 2, and countless companies have said the same thing about their role playing game previously.

I doubt it even comes out until 2009, but one things for sure, you can't count it out that it won't be on other platforms. At the least it will definitely be on the PC, and anything else can be decided with money. blush.gif