If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Britney Spears' disintegration

MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything!Full Members
edited December 2008 in Entertainment
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20721387/

This, ladies, is why it's not good to rely only on your flesh to make your money. It's better to be able to make 50k a year for a few decades than to have your entire life fall apart when you don't fit the twisted definition of beauty that the music industry tries to push.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
-Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

Comments

• SorenSoren ..not a pony.. Full Members
    edited September 2007
    This was a trainwreck waiting to happen. MTV knew that and exploited it for ratings which it was in desperate need of. Mission accomplished. They got some higher ratings. And they went ahead and put the kiss of death on her career in one fell swoop. Her first day there, instead of doing serious rehearsing she was partying it up Vegas style. And her kids? They were with Daddy where there was a birthday party thrown. She comes out looking like a trainwreck, and he comes off looking like a saint. Go figure. Its sad to see how far down she's gone.
    Driving FB bonkers for years. Paw's Wife.
  • bain_nickbain_nick Be Water my friend Full Members
    edited September 2007
    I am allowed to laugh at her though, right?
    http://melodysheep.bandcamp.com/track/be-water-my-friend-bruce-lee (Youtube video been taken down soooo)
    Steam: bain_nick Add me, maybe we can play something together.
    League of Legends: NA Server: Bainick
    The problem with HM/RF games for me, is the opposite of my issues in real life.
  • kittenofthepackkittenofthepack It bes a cat hat! Full Members
    edited September 2007
    If she's considered fat right now, than I'm the freaking good year blimp. ;_;

But her outfit she wore did not look good on her at all. Yuck.

And I think she and her ex are both crappy parents. And if they were any normal Mrs & Mr Joe Blow those kids would have been taken away in a heartbeat. Bleh.
  • ACPACP A Crustacean in a Pot Full Members
    edited September 2007
    Darn. I followed this link, hoping to read that she had been zapped with a disintegratin' ray or somethin', but it was just her career that disintegrated. Double-darn.
    When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.
    - Mark Twain
    edited September 2007
    She was actually supposed to wear more than just that. There was some corset like top and everything, but she opted not to wear it. She didn't like it and thought she looked better the other way.

....right.
  • Slayer of GodSlayer of God Member Full Members
    edited September 2007
    It took this to make the general populace realize that she couldn't sing?

Edit: From another article on the site:

"Keys ended her set with a rousing version of George Michael?s ?Freedom?, a song I?ve always liked but thought was impossible to cover because how can anyone but George sing with any authority about how dehumanizing it was to be in Wham?"

I lol'd.

Within the spreading darkness, I pledged a vow to the revolution.
  • lithoroselithorose Fire! Fire! Meiuuu! Full Members
    edited September 2007
    Dammit, I thought this was the only Britney-free zone on the internet.

Now I gotta go find something nerdier.
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited September 2007
    Wow... I can't even understand why people are making a big deal out of this. I thought she looked hot. She has a great body. It's not the best its ever been but to call her flabby and fat? Idiocy. It just shows how ridiculously insane the standrards for beauty are in this extremely messed up society we live in.

Now her performance on the other hand...

::shudders::
    "Back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's hilarious in modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of a FF7 remake."
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited September 2007
    That I'll agree with, Rahl. I very much liked the shape she was in. That hair weave, though, I could have lived without. And she was clearly just not into it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2007
    Very true... I really don't know what that was all about.. .but I wonder... would it have been as big of a deal in the media if she had opted for the corset?
    "Back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's hilarious in modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of a FF7 remake."
    edited September 2007
    I don't think it would have mattered what she wore, they would have ripped her apart either way. It was her dancing, if you can call it that ... She acted like she was strung out on something, or really didn't care either wayhow she did.
    edited September 2007
    This is true, kitten. However, calling her fat is a joke. Like you yourself said...

<div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">If she's considered fat right now, than I'm the freaking good year blimp. ;_;</div>
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CidolfasCidolfas Member Full Members
    edited September 2007
    Then again, if you insist on performing in underwear, you can't really complain when people point out the tiny imperfections in your body.

I've never figured out how she squares being a mother with being a provocative exhibitionist.
    edited September 2007
    <div>
    (Cidolfas @ Sep. 16 2007,09:47)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Then again, if you insist on performing in underwear, you can't really complain when people point out the tiny imperfections in your body.

I've never figured out how she squares being a mother with being a provocative exhibitionist.</div>
    What's wrong with being a mother and a provocative exhibitionist?

Because you have kids? Nothing wrong with showing off the body. If my mother was a stripper I wouldn't watch her, but I wouldn't say it was wrong. There's nothing morally wrong with exhibitionism.
    edited September 2007
    I think what makes her a bad mom is the fact she spends zero time with her kids. Kids that she claims she wanted before she started sniffing glue. Her behavior in general is setting a bad role model for her fans (I assume she has young fans?) and her kids. If she was any normal person without monies her kids would have been taken away from her.

I think her behavior might change once she sees what kind of money she will make on her next album, or maybe she frankly doesn't give a crap about her carrer. She has enough money to live the good life.
  • RainaRaina Member Full Members
    edited September 2007
    It made me sad for her in so many ways, because as a parent you are supposed to lead by example. It was also very clear she did not want to be there, yet she seemed like she was forced there. Oh and Sara Silverman tearing her apart really ticked me off especially her comment about how her two children were the best mistakes she ever made. Seriously what is wrong with that woman! The only reason that unfunny witch even has a career is because she was shagging Jimmy Kimmel.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Member Full Members
    edited September 2007
    Everyone just LEAVE BRITNEY ALONE!!

...sorry, just had to do it.
    [url=\"http://evilpandapirate.tumblr.com/\"]Tumblr[/url] | [url=\"http://twitter.com/EvilPandaPirate\"]Twitter[/url]
    \"FFXII doesn't really have a story to tell, and so it doesn't. FFXIII doesn't really have a story to tell, but has hours of cutscenes anyway.\" -SiliconNooB
    edited September 2007
    <div>
    (Jeffrey @ Sep. 16 2007,17:32)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Everyone just LEAVE BRITNEY ALONE!!

...sorry, just had to do it.</div>
    *falls over in fits of giggles*

*goes over to pick one someone else* heh
  • ShponglefanShponglefan Member Full Members
    edited September 2007
    <div>
    (Jeffrey @ Sep. 16 2007,17:32)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Everyone just LEAVE BRITNEY ALONE!!

...sorry, just had to do it.</div>
    Dagnabit, I was about to post that. tounge2.gif

As an aside, seen the Seth Green parody yet?
    edited September 2007
    <div>
    (kittenofthepack @ Sep. 16 2007,16:07)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">I think what makes her a bad mom is the fact she spends zero time with her kids. Kids that she claims she wanted before she started sniffing glue. Her behavior in general is setting a bad role model for her fans (I assume she has young fans?) and her kids. If she was any normal person without monies her kids would have been taken away from her.

I think her behavior might change once she sees what kind of money she will make on her next album, or maybe she frankly doesn't give a crap about her carrer. She has enough money to live the good life.</div>
    Yeah. I was just responding to the part where the previous poster insinuated that being an exhibitionist makes you unfit to raise children.

Then again, perhaps I misinterpreted the following quote.

"I've never figured out how she squares being a mother with being a provocative exhibitionist"
    edited September 2007
    Yes, you understood me correctly. I'm afraid that's part of my value system. I can't put those two images together in my mind. I just have visions of the kids ten years down the road finding these images of their mother and how that would affect their respect for her. Perhaps there are people out there who are entirely comfortable with such a situation, but I'm not one of them.
    edited September 2007
    <div>
    (Cidolfas @ Sep. 18 2007,11:51)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Yes, you understood me correctly. I'm afraid that's part of my value system. I can't put those two images together in my mind. I just have visions of the kids ten years down the road finding these images of their mother and how that would affect their respect for her. Perhaps there are people out there who are entirely comfortable with such a situation, but I'm not one of them.</div>
    I understand.

I judge someone on who they are, not what they wear or how provactive their profession is. If my mother wasn't a little tramp in her youth me or my other three brothers wouldn't be alive.
    edited September 2007
    Hehe, yeah, enjoying your sexuality doeesn't make you incompatible for parenthood. Britney's problems go far beyond showing a little T&A.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2007
    <div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">I judge someone on who they are, not what they wear or how provactive their profession is.</div>

But of course, what you wear and what your profession is reflect very important choices, which are of course a large part of who you are. That's why most law or business firms won't accept people wearing torn jeans. Society as a whole generally looks upon clothes and (to a lesser extent) professions as a part of your identity, and if you're trying to be a responsible mother and to show your children and the world at large that idea of you, the image you want to project is not, IMO, that of a slut.

edited September 2007
    <div>
    (Cidolfas @ Sep. 18 2007,14:44)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE"> <div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">I judge someone on who they are, not what they wear or how provactive their profession is.</div>

But of course, what you wear and what your profession is reflect very important choices, which are of course a large part of who you are. That's why most law or business firms won't accept people wearing torn jeans. Society as a whole generally looks upon clothes and (to a lesser extent) professions as a part of your identity, and if you're trying to be a responsible mother and to show your children and the world at large that idea of you, the image you want to project is not, IMO, that of a slut.</div>
    I take it you look down on someone because of how many people they have had sex with as well.

I understand what you are saying. I just do not agree with it. It is narrow minded and backwards. I don't care what society feels is righ as a whole. Society cannot see individuals. You should try to care less about what society thinks and learn to see people as individuals rather than products of their environments/profession.

You do realize that the human body is a beautiful thing and if someone chooses to show it off, it is their choice to do so, male of female. Are you pretty possessive over your spouse?
  • MeoTwister5MeoTwister5 Member Full Members
    edited September 2007
    While I agree with Rahl, the fact remains that as a member of the general society you still have to conform to certain standards set by the people as a whole functioning unit. Even if you want to dress like a street corner hooker, you still have to make that eternal compromise between your own ideology and the ideology of society. Society CAN see individuals, now more so than before. In the information age of rapidly advancing technology it's far easier now to be observant and be sensitive of individual persons and to see "deviant" behavior.

The problem is in the compromise. You can delude yourself to be completely "independent" of society's norms and be your own man/woman, but if there's anything I learned from years of studying biology, psychology and philosophy it's that no man can truly break free of the social dictate. No true human in society can claim to be outside the influence of social norms and be called a "radical". Society has and will always affect you even in the smallest of ways.
    edited September 2007
    Besides this honestly goes beyond her choice of style and dress. Her behavior is erratic, there is apparant drug use going on still, and obviously she has some psychological problems. Her life has been spent very much always in public scrutiny. She's grown up that way, is used to the attention, and when it became negative attention did not know how best to handle it. She's used to people loving and adoring her not scrutinizing her every mistake. But the downward spiral started to occur and here we are at the bottom. The court today ruled that custody of the two children would be shared. But he's been strict with both parents.

<div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">From Justjared.com Britney Spears and Kevin Federline must follow a long-gggggg list of demands as ordered by Los Angeles judge Scott M. Gordon? like going back to school and taking regular drug tests!

? Neither Brit nor K-fed can take Sean and Jayden out of state without the written consent of the other.

? The exes cannot make derogatory statements about each other.

? Both parents must complete the ?Parenting Without Conflict? program.

? Each party is restrained from using corporal punishment with the children or allowing anyone else to.

? They are required to engage in joint co-parenting counseling.

? Neither party may consume alcohol or non-prescription controlled substances 12 hours prior to taking custody of the children.

? They must ensure that any prospective childcare professionals hold valid Red Cross infant CPR training.

*** Britney must follow extra set of rules in order to maintain the current shared custody agreement:

? Attend individual counseling at least once a week to address parenting issues.

? Meet with a parenting coach for a minimum of 8 hours a week, in at least two sessions a week. The coach is to observe her parenting skills and her interaction with her sons and provide Federline with a written progress report by October 22.

? And, ?based on the evidence presented, the Court finds that there is a habitual, frequent, and continuous use of controlled substances by Petitioner [Spears],? will have to undergo testing for controlled substances and alcohol. The testing shall be conducted twice per week on random dates and times, and the results will be forwarded to the court. </div>

Hopefully the judge is able to undo the trainwreck that so many have taken to watching.
    edited September 2007
    <div>
    (MeoTwister5 @ Sep. 18 2007,22:51)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">While I agree with Rahl, the fact remains that as a member of the general society you still have to conform to certain standards set by the people as a whole functioning unit. Even if you want to dress like a street corner hooker, you still have to make that eternal compromise between your own ideology and the ideology of society. Society CAN see individuals, now more so than before. In the information age of rapidly advancing technology it's far easier now to be observant and be sensitive of individual persons and to see "deviant" behavior.

The problem is in the compromise. You can delude yourself to be completely "independent" of society's norms and be your own man/woman, but if there's anything I learned from years of studying biology, psychology and philosophy it's that no man can truly break free of the social dictate. No true human in society can claim to be outside the influence of social norms and be called a "radical". Society has and will always affect you even in the smallest of ways.</div>
    I do not disagree with any of that.

But society does not dictate what a person thinks. It can influence the way you act, present yourself and live in countless ways.

On the other hand, although I myself do not wear for example revealing clothes or strip as a profession, my mindset tells me that there is nothing morally wrong with doing either of those things. Society has deemed it so, but society has not altered my perception of them.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Member Full Members
    edited September 2007
    I think the point is you can't dress and act like a slut without being viewed as such. She sold herself on the appeal of her body. There's no way she can justify being upset with the way she's viewed by society.
    [url=\"http://evilpandapirate.tumblr.com/\"]Tumblr[/url] | [url=\"http://twitter.com/EvilPandaPirate\"]Twitter[/url]
    \"FFXII doesn't really have a story to tell, and so it doesn't. FFXIII doesn't really have a story to tell, but has hours of cutscenes anyway.\" -SiliconNooB
    edited September 2007
    <div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">I take it you look down on someone because of how many people they have had sex with as well. </div>

Not at all. I couldn't care less what people do in the privacy of their own home, provided they do it in a safe way and take responsibility for their actions. We're talking about someone dressing and acting provocatively in front of millions of people.

<div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Society cannot see individuals.</div>

Society is MADE UP of individuals. Societal norms become what they are because of individuals.

<div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">You do realize that the human body is a beautiful thing and if someone chooses to show it off, it is their choice to do so, male of female.</div>

Of course it's their choice. But like every choice, there are consequences, and they are responsible for those consequences.

<div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Are you pretty possessive over your spouse? </div>

I don't have a spouse, and I fail to see what this question has to do with anything we're discussing.

<div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">I think the point is you can't dress and act like a slut without being viewed as such. She sold herself on the appeal of her body. There's no way she can justify being upset with the way she's viewed by society. </div>

Exactly.
    Put it another way: Why would you want to dress and act a certain way? Because you feel it is part of you. It's how you express yourself. If you express yourself that way, it's because you identify with it. That tells other people something about you. If other people don't share those values, then they'll look down on you because your looks and actions indicate your disdain for their own values.

I've heard all sorts of people say things like, "well, I can wear nose rings, it doesn't change who I am". Actually, it does. Why do some people wear nose rings and others don't? Because it's a statement of the kind of person you are. People will always make judgments about those sorts of things, because we don't have mind-scanners just yet to tell us exactly what everyone's thinking. Someone with a nose ring may very well be a far better and smarter worker than someone without - but we can't make that judgment without knowing the person better, something we often don't have the luxury of doing. So we make judgments and decisions based on what we see.

It's sort of a code - I dress business casual, that means I am trying to project an image of a responsible person who is nevertheless relaxed. If you don't follow the code, you can't complain when people can't read you properly.
This discussion has been closed.