If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

TV Series

Comments

• caddyalancaddyalan Member Full Members
    edited June 2011
    Thanks to hearing some fan-generated hype from podcasts, and from reading fan-made sites, I got into My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Why yes, it is a cartoon meant for kids, and a show which has a lot of merchandise to sell. But at the same time, the people who made it intended to create a cartoon that adults could watch at the same time without feeling dumb or embarrassed. Quite a few adults are watching and liking it on their own.

No DVDs or Blu-Rays are available *yet*, but all the episodes are on sale on iTunes. I don't think the show is officially streaming anywhere.

So yes, MLP:FIM is mostly a slice of life show. Not a whole lot happens over its 24 or so episodes. One of its main draws is genuinely good writing and characterization. In the next season, there may be more plot... but what we have at the moment is impressive.
  • HyphyKezzyHyphyKezzy The Best Full Members
    edited June 2011
    Game of Thrones finale was dope! Dope, dope, dope! So glad that
    Spoiler:
    the dragons
    looked good. I was happy that they went tv instead of movies because it's a complicated story and they need that extra time to tell it right but I was a bit worried about that. They pulled it off clean though. And thanks to this show I'm pretty sold on the dude who plays Khal Drogo as the new Conan.

So for now I'm on new episodes of Futurama and looking forward to the starts of Breaking Bad and Entourage coming up. Oh, and rewatching Sons of Anarchy off Netflix too.
    Reads street English and speaks in collegiate - Ras Kass
  • AcathalaAcathala Member Full Members
    edited November 2011
    Watched the series finale of Smallville and was distinctly underwhelmed.
  • smithsleonardosmithsleonardo New Member Full Members
    edited December 2011
    My favourite TV series are:
    1. Desperate wives.
    2. Survivors.
    3. Gossip Girl.
    4. Las Vegas.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited December 2011
    Currently pumped up SO BADLY for this summer. Final 6 episodes of The Closer will be shown, with the legal battle ending with the reveal of the leak in the department. I AM EXCITE ****ING BIKE!
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited January 2012
    Restarted Lost from the beginning. I forgot just have gripping the first and second seasons were. Really enjoying my revisit to the island.
    "Back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's hilarious in modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of a FF7 remake."
  • KeldarusKeldarus RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2012
    Undecided on Harry's Law this season. It had an interestig concept last year, but this year it's gone into a standard David E. Kelly coutroom drama, which is sad considering Kathy Bates is fantastic in the show. Getting ready to start HBO's Luck as well.

Castle is by far the best network dramedy on TV and either Big Bang Theory or Two Broke Girls takes the cake for best comedy on the networks.

-Kel

Also working my way through series 4 of Skins from the BBC, not the US trash that couldn't finish a first season. Still good, though not as great as series 1 and 2.
  • FrozenbabylonFrozenbabylon POW! Full Members
    edited February 2012
    It's just so weird to me (still, even after dating an aussie for 4 years.) that the UK and parts beyond call the seasons of their TV shows `Series X`... It makes it sound like one season is the entirity of the show.

Off tooooooopic.

Anyway, On topic of the thread, I've watched the first season of Archer like... 5 times. Season 2 needs to come to Netflix right now!
    edited February 2012
    Between episodes of Lost I'm watching Smallville and Spartacus: Blood and Sand. I've been hearing good things about Archer, I'll have to give it a go!
    "Back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's hilarious in modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of a FF7 remake."
    edited February 2012
    It's the same kind of absurdist humor that Sealab and Frisky Dingo had, Considering the show runners, makes sense, since they did the other 2 shows.
    edited February 2012
    On the final three episodes of Smallville!
    edited February 2012
    Anyway, On topic of the thread, I've watched the first season of Archer like... 5 times. Season 2 needs to come to Netflix right now!
    As good as the first season was it really takes off in the second. I could use a rewatch myself and am kinda pissed it hasn't hit Netflix yet. The current season is great but once a week really isn't cutting it for me. Need moar!

For those who have HBO I'll throw out a quick plug for a show they're bringing over from BBC soon which I sorta watched elicitly before I found out it was crossing the Atlantic. :whistling: It's called Life's Too Short and stars Warwick Davis (Willow, the Leprechaun, Wicket) as a fictionalized version of himself similar to what Larry David does in Curb Your Enthusiasm. I'm not above the jokes about his height but some of the funniest moments come from his indignation when people don't acknowledge his fame. Even though it's constantly pointed out to him that he did most of his roles in costume and makeup.
    edited February 2012
    Rewatching Spartacus from the beginning, finished Smallville, and starting Falling Skies over, as apparently it gets better.
    edited February 2012
    Finished up the 4th series of Skins. I liked it well enough but some of the kids annoyed me. Ill probably watch series 5of and see how it goes, but we'll see.
    edited February 2012
    Heads up since it was recently talked about. Season 2 of Archer has hit Netflix Instant. Watching the first ep right now.
  • Aquila HawkAquila Hawk O_o Full Members
    edited February 2012
    I need to confess my guilty pleasure... Ghost Adventures on Travel Channel. Ironically, my dad worked at one of the places they investigated. In fact, it was their number one most haunted hospital in last Friday's clip show.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    AquilaHawk on Battle.Net: Currently playing Starcraft II
    edited February 2012
    HyphyKezzy wrote: »
    Heads up since it was recently talked about. Season 2 of Archer has hit Netflix Instant. Watching the first ep right now.
    I'd already bought season 2 on DVD (as well as season 1) so I'd seen it all, but I literally just watched the entire season front to back again. I love that friggin show.
    edited March 2012
    Just finished Game of Thrones season 1... just breathtaking on blu!
    edited March 2012
    Finished up Season(Series) 5 of Skins. It's good, but not as good as the previous 2 casts. Season 6 is the last, then they're doing some movies with poeple from the all the casts, so that should be interesting.

-Kel
  • ThrillhoThrillho New Member Full Members
    edited April 2012
    The Simpsons, Futurama, Drawn Together, Parks and Rec, Modern Family, Community (one of the funniest shows on TV at the moment), Big Bang Theory...I don't know why I can only think of sitcoms, I could've sworn that I've seen at least some dramas or something O.o
  • magewarriormagewarrior my destiny evades me Full Members
    edited May 2012
    Most TV shows I watch these days fall in the crime/drama genre :p (ie Hawaii Five0, Bones, Awake, Touch, Grimm, and Supernatural) but I also watch a lot of sitcoms too (The Big Bang Theory, Mike and Molly, Two and a Half Men, and Last Man Standing) are my favorites :)
    [SIGPIC]imagejpeg[/SIGPIC]
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited May 2012
    Okay, recent episode of My Little Pony:
    Plot Summary
    Spoiler:
    Twilight suspects a princess from another country of being a spy. It looks as if she's wrong and is scolded by Celestia. When it turns out she was right all along:
    1) Celestia preaches anyway
    2) Celestia never apologizes

So the kids learn some good lessons, I think:
    1) If you are in a position of authority, be quick to blame those under you
    2) If you are in a position of authority and you are wrong, never apologize
  • MaudrenMaudren i can post! thanx paws! Full Members
    edited June 2012
    Tarlokk is a blood bender. I just crapped myself.
    sup?
  • LassicLassic Member Full Members
    edited June 2012
    Maudren wrote: »
    Tarlokk is a blood bender. I just crapped myself.

You're not the only one: didn't expect that

I can't wait for the next episode!
    edited June 2012
    Lassic wrote: »
    You're not the only one: didn't expect that

I can't wait for the next episode!

The battle between he and Korra was pretty intense, and if korra's wounds were any indication, she may have some cool permanent scars from the ice daggers Tarrlok was launching at her. Man what a great cliffhanger.
    sup?
  • LassicLassic Member Full Members
    edited June 2012
    So much for Tarlok: even his bloodbending was no match for Amon.

Who the hell is Amon?

ps: Never underestimate the Avatar state
    edited June 2012
    Ahh, Avatar, now I know what you're all talking about.. That makes me feel less crazy like i missed some important TV moment, when it's Avatar and I just didn't get into the show.

Also, finished Bones season last night and it was pretty lackluster.

-Kel
    edited June 2012
    Lin got equalized!!!

Daaaaaaaaayuuuuuum!!!

General Iroh has Zuko's voice actor, win!

Fart Bending!

Mecha tanks with giant magnets to bone over the metal benders.

Mako's electricity redirection.

Lin ripping an airship apart by herself.

Bolin's "it's mustache man!"

So much win in this episode.

But damn man, Lin got screwed.
    sup?
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2012
    Grrrrr.... after 9 episodes, Nick decides to shut off access to Legend of Korra to Canada. Dammit, now I gotta find another way to watch it.

Looks like YTV picked it up here, probably explains why. But they're 6 episodes behind now o.O
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
    edited June 2012
    omegabyte wrote: »
    Grrrrr.... after 9 episodes, Nick decides to shut off access to Legend of Korra to Canada. Dammit, now I gotta find another way to watch it.

Looks like YTV picked it up here, probably explains why. But they're 6 episodes behind now o.O

oh crap i pretty much ruined ep 10 for you sorry. i'll use spoiler tags next time.

but yeah, i love this show. best animated show on tv.
    sup?