If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

TV Series

Comments

• shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited October 2008
    <div>
    (omegabyte @ Oct. 01 2008,00:05)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">I like this new guy that's replacing Wilson on House. ?The PI. ?He's an amusing character.</div>
    He's interesting but supposedly they're using House as a jump off point to give the character his own series. He hasn't totally grown on me yet, but I'm glad that Wilson isn't totally gone given the preview for the next episode.

Anyone else watching Fringe? I'm trying to get into it but it hasn't seemed to stick with me yet.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2008
    <div>
    (shoptroll @ Oct. 01 2008,09:33)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE"><div>
    (omegabyte @ Oct. 01 2008,00:05)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">I like this new guy that's replacing Wilson on House. ?The PI. ?He's an amusing character.</div>
    He's interesting but supposedly they're using House as a jump off point to give the character his own series. ?He hasn't totally grown on me yet, but I'm glad that Wilson isn't totally gone given the preview for the next episode.

Anyone else watching Fringe? ?I'm trying to get into it but it hasn't seemed to stick with me yet.</div>
    I've been watching Fringe, I'm still not 100% on it. Some of it is good and some of it is bad. The guy and his dad are awesome, but the NSA agents are all really dry. It's also one of those series where if you miss one episode you're completely boned.
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
    edited October 2008
    Pretty much. ?For all the comparisons to X-Files, I'm not seeing it. ?The conspiracy / mystery stuff seems a bit more forced than it was in the X-Files. ?I dunno. ?Seems like one of those Fox shows that is stuck in this "will they / won't they axe it part way through the season" limbo.

• SundoulosSundoulos Member Full Members
    edited October 2008
    I also used to avoid forensics shows like the plague, but my wife has gotten me into NCIS.

Also, I recently got in to watching the Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles. Last night's episode was predictable, but nice; there were lots of references to the original Terminator movie.

To Mr. Nuclear Plant Manager on last night's episode:
    <span class="spoiler">You, sir, forgot one of the most fundamental rules of SciFi:
    If you are a geek or a schlub, and an unfamiliar, beautiful woman suddenly shows interest in you, RUN!

Nothing good ever comes of that...ever.</span>

Monster Hunter Tri ID: N49H18
    Monster Hunter Name: Sundolos
    Region: North America
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited October 2008
    Did anyone watch Lost back in the day it was actually on TV?

Boy, radios work in VERY strange ways in Lost. Nothing at all like a real radio.
    "We need bars!" - Real radio - you do not need bars. Just set the frequency (you have to know the frequency) and push transmit - if there's a receiver nearby it will pickup the transmission if the radio's working properly. The bars show receiving strength.

"Something else is already transmitting on the same frequency" - This is real - you can't transmit if something else is transmitting on the same frequency. In this case - try a different frequency!

Alot of times with emergency radios, the frequencies to use are listed on the back of the battery cover plate, so not knowing frequencies isn't a huge issue. Other times, the frequency is fixed. On some frequencies on emergency radios, you can't talk - their purpose is to help rescuers find you.

I find it odd that a large plane doesn't have one of these - they should be packaged inside the lifeboats. Since the plane crashed into land, the lifeboats should still be there in the plane's doors.
  • Green NuGreen Nu Member Full Members
    edited October 2008
    If you're looking for a comedy, It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia is a really funny show. Its sense of humor is similar to Family Guy in that nothing is off limits and the characters on the show are pretty much complete jerks. I'm pretty sure you can watch all the episodes on Hulu for free too, or seasons 1-3 are on DVD, and season 4 is ongoing and the episodes are on demand. Season 3 is the best so far in my opinion.

I am liking Fringe, though hopefully it won't have the same formula every episode.

Dexter is one of my favorites, though it's gruesome, but it has great writing. I didn't know where they'd be able to go with the 3rd season, but it's been great in the two episodes that are out.

The Wire is a must for anyone that is a fan of crime drama. However, this is not CSI. This show is about a realistic view of the police department and the "mean streets" of Baltimore (amongst other things in later seasons, like the school system). Give it a few episodes to get used to the characters and the way the show works, and you won't be disappointed. I didn't like it after the first episode, but gave it another shot and became obsessed.

Lost rules inlove.gif I don't care if they never explain anything.

You must gather your party before venturing forth
  • SundoulosSundoulos Member Full Members
    edited October 2008
    It took a few weeks, but I'm starting to like Pushing Daisies. It has an interesting mix of whimsy and sadness. Great stuff.

Monster Hunter Tri ID: N49H18
    Monster Hunter Name: Sundolos
    Region: North America
  • Max_DeltreeMax_Deltree Is trying to get back in these forums Full Members
    edited October 2008
    True Blood is fun.Check it.
    PSN ID: MaxDeltree
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited October 2008
    Just started 24 (I know OLD) and it is killer so far. I'm sure it gets much more intense.
    "Back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's hilarious in modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of a FF7 remake."
  • SiliconNooBSiliconNooB Member Full Members
    edited October 2008
    Just as long as you steer clear of the last season of 24. all the other ones were great (4 was my favourite) but last season took a huge dip in quality.
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!
    edited March 2009
    The current season of 24 hasn't been terrible, but it's not nearly as good as season 4 or 5.

Also, Dollhouse is finally starting to pick up. Yay.
  • ClixClix Former Listmaster Full Members
    edited March 2009
    The current season of 24 hasn't been terrible, but it's not nearly as good as season 4 or 5.
    I'm liking it so far. While no where near the same "epic scope" as season 5, I still think season 1 is equal to the legendary 5th season.
    edited March 2009
    Season 1 does a really good job of establishing Bauer as a character.
  • DavisDavis 2 Human 2 Furious Full Members
    edited March 2009
    Strongly disagree with you on this season, 'troll. I haven't been this into a season of 24 in forever. Only thing that stinks the big one is Tony's resurrection.
    edited March 2009
    I wasn't saying this season totally sucks. It's drawn me in a lot better than last season, maybe even better than season 5, but I still think the series is starting to feel a bit stale. Fortunately the production staff acknowledge that the series is going to probably end in a season or two, so hopefully it'll go out on a good note.
    edited March 2009
    I guess it can get stale if you expect cerebral stimulation from it. I just watch to see Jack yell, "dammit!" and break the law to uphold it.
    edited March 2009
    Well I don't know how far along you are with it in the States (we're probably a little behind in OZ) but so far I'm quite enjoying it. It hasn't reached an epic stride as of yet, but then you never know the shape of a 24 season until you near the end. I thought last season was going to be epic after the nuke was detonated but afterwards it quickly deteriorated (due to the writer's strike?). I like the conspiriacy going on within the whitehouse and I also like the topical paralells it is drawing with the post-Obama America where violent old fossils like Jack are being called in to testify over what was once acceptable conduct (though on occaision I feel this season is a little too preachy in putting accross the idea that government agencies should be able to do whatever it takes, then again it is a right wing show so I'm hardly suprised, yet it just feels less subtle this time around).
    edited March 2009
    Huh. I keep feeling this season is way too preachy on the "that's profiling. that's bad. that's torture. that's bad." bits. Like ok, we get it, can we please move along?

I don't expect cerebral stimulation from it, I'm just saying it gets kind of annoying when you already know there's going to be a mole at some point, problems with the firewall, chloe being chloe, and stuff like that. Same problem House is having. They're still good shows but I feel that sometimes it's too easy to know what's going to happen next. Although this hasn't been as big an issue with recent episodes compared to the start of the season.

Also, their "hey we went green for this season" makes me laugh. Since when does using SUVs as the vehicle of choice allow you to say you "went green"?
  • HyphyKezzyHyphyKezzy The Best Full Members
    edited March 2009

Also, Dollhouse is finally starting to pick up. Yay.
    Dollhouse is getting good? Should I check this out again? I watched the first couple episodes since it came on after Sarah Connor Chronicles and was easy to stick around for, but was unimpressed, and dropped it. I only allow myself one show watched purely for the hot chicks, and that's Smallville.

And on an unrelated note, check out Beaking Bad on AMC people because that show is awesome. Walter White reminds me of Mr. Wizard if he was gangsta.
    Reads street English and speaks in collegiate - Ras Kass
    edited March 2009
    Lol there has never been anything green about 24.
    edited March 2009
    BB is amazing if only for the bathtub scene in season one.
  • HyphyKezzyHyphyKezzy The Best Full Members
    edited March 2009
    I'd watch just for the quotes Walt's brother-in-law generates, although I'd have to do some serious filter evasion to post my favorites. Tuco's "Why are we meeting here? Was the mall closed today?" was pretty good as well though.
    Reads street English and speaks in collegiate - Ras Kass
    edited March 2009
    Also, their "hey we went green for this season" makes me laugh. Since when does using SUVs as the vehicle of choice allow you to say you "went green"?
    Lol I'd love to see Jack Bauer mincing around town in a hybrid.
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited March 2009
    I'll be watching the first episode of "Better Off Ted" - wow, apparently this has already aired and I didn't know it. Hardly surprising. Anyway, I'll check out at least one episode of this. It's ABC's competitor to "The Office."

"National Parks and Recreation" - I'll not be watching this. It is a spinoff show - these are usually bad. The promos don't make it look interesting.
  • cidsacidsa Member Full Members
    edited March 2009
    Some favourites of mine:

Homicide: Life on the Street, Babylon 5, The 4400, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Firefly, Stargate SG1, Stargate Atlantis, Twin Peaks, X Files, Star Trek Deep Space Nine (I like the others too, but DS9 is my favourite), Macgyver, Law & Order (and all incarnations), CSI (I like NY as well, but Miami is stupid), Criminal Minds, Mayday, Mythbusters, Antiques Roadshow, Extreme Makeover: Home Edition (yes this show is ridiculous, but I like the reveal at the end lol), Red Dwarf, Father Ted, Top Gear, M*A*S*H, Monty Python, MST3k, House (this season not so great), Numb3rs, Avatar (yeah yeah it's for kids, shush lol), Eureka, etc.

That's all I can think of without going into foreign shows and anime..
  • OyashiroOyashiro NEEDS MOAR UNDERBOOB! Full Members
    edited March 2009
    I've been watching Sliders. Jerry O'Connell is so dreamy!inlove.gif

I miss the 90's. down.gif
    Give me Underboob, or give me death!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "As a gaming enthusiast, people who carry a pro-hacker flag for selfish self-entitled reasons and willfully ignore the damage that rampant piracy does to developers as well as hardware producers don't deserve to enjoy the games and systems that these companies have poured their souls into to produce."

"A late game is only late until it ships. A bad game is bad until the end of time." ~ David Jaffe
    edited March 2009
    The first two seasons of Sliders are pretty decent. After that is confused.gif .
  • OyashiroOyashiro NEEDS MOAR UNDERBOOB! Full Members
    edited March 2009
    I can't argue with you there. Perhaps there is a world where all seasons of Sliders were good...
    Give me Underboob, or give me death!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "As a gaming enthusiast, people who carry a pro-hacker flag for selfish self-entitled reasons and willfully ignore the damage that rampant piracy does to developers as well as hardware producers don't deserve to enjoy the games and systems that these companies have poured their souls into to produce."

"A late game is only late until it ships. A bad game is bad until the end of time." ~ David Jaffe
    edited March 2009
    woah... MIND[redacted]
    edited March 2009
    Yet another prime example of Fox executives thinking they know what's best for a series...