If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

TV Series

Comments

• HyphyKezzyHyphyKezzy The Best Full Members
    edited April 2009
    Anyone else seen the adds for Krod Mandoon and the Flaming Sword of Fire on Comedy Central? I'm definitely going to check out the first few eps hoping for some sort of divine mix between Slayers and Reno 911. Although I'm guessing more likely than not it will be awful.
    Reads street English and speaks in collegiate - Ras Kass
  • DavisDavis 2 Human 2 Furious Full Members
    edited April 2009
    No words for the US Life on Mars finale. Poisoning your own well is one thing, poisoning a well you're leasing from someone else that built the damn thing is another entirely.
  • shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited April 2009
    So did anyone else watch House last night?

I'm starting to think it's time for the show to retire, last night's episode and the preview for the next confirms that this is the season of recycled material.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!
    edited April 2009
    I quit halfway through this season and didn't really look back.
    edited April 2009
    Don't blame you. I was looking at the ratings for last season and they've significantly dropped off since Season 3. Not that last season was bad, but this season really hasn't been all that hot. It's like the writers got stupid after the strike or something. Heroes appears to be having the same problem too, although I dropped that show last fall I think.

I'm gonna try following Rescue Me this season. I haven't regularly watched it but what I've seen in the past has been pretty good. Still need to try 30 Rock.

edited April 2009
    Baldwin is brilliant in 30 Rock.

Edit: I can't believe that this is most likely the end of Terminator:SCC, low ratings and high budget from what I understand. Although I'll freely admit there were some dud episodes, this had become my favorite show currently running, beating out Lost, Battlestar Galactica, Breaking Bad, and well basically everything else I watch. I haven't looked but I'm sure there is hulu or some equivalent to watch this, and I would encourage any RPGamers with any interest in the Terminator mythos to check this out, if only for the fact that there is a Terminator who paints miniatures, plays D&D, and I'm pretty sure he cheated somehow to roll all those twentys for crit hits.

edited April 2009
    30 Rock was good. Would be a fine replacement for the hole Arrested Development left in my heart. I do not understand why people like The Office. I've seen two episodes so far and I just don't get it. Rescue Me was pretty good I'll try and catch it again this week.

House last night was surprisingly decent. Shocking given the clips Fox was using to promote the episode suggesting it was going to be a nice reheat of a plotline from Season 1.
  • KeldarusKeldarus RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2009
    House has been hit or miss this season, some were good some have been filler for the most part. However, the first 3-4 episodes of Dollhouse also weren't all that hot, but now it's really hit its stride and that show is damn right fantastic. 24 and Fringe have been pretty much dead on this year, so it seems as though Fox and all it's American Idol juggernaut can put some decent drama's out there. Can't forget about Bones either. It's as quirky and fun as ever even though it's mostly episodic.

-Kel
    edited April 2009
    30 Rock was good. Would be a fine replacement for the hole Arrested Development left in my heart.
    Happen to catch Sit Down, Shut Up in the Fox animation block tonight? It has Gob and Michael and some of the writing team from AD.

@Davis : If you're watching Breaking Bad this season I think tonights tortuga tops the tub.

@Kel : I'm digging Fringe too. Walter is the man.

edited April 2009
    Yeah watched a little bit of Sit Down tonight. Was funny, but since it's a mid-season replacement/starter it's already got the odds against it.
    edited April 2009
    @Davis : If you're watching Breaking Bad this season I think tonights tortuga tops the tub.
    Oh man! When that scene first started I was like, "wtf was he talking about this isn't on par with the bathtub," and then everything went BAM and I was like thumbs-up.gif .
    edited April 2009
    Yeah that's the thing, the bathtub and the atm I saw coming but the turtle? It was slower to kick in but it definitely won the race.
    By the way I've been watching The Prisoner per your suggestion in the Battlestar thread. Good show but it weirds me out for a very particular reason. Lets see if I can make the image thing work so you can see my hometown logo and I think you'll understand.
    100px-Davis_Logo1.jpg

• SundoulosSundoulos Member Full Members
    edited April 2009
    As absurd as it was, <span class="spoiler">Neo!Chuck!!!</span> was still awesome on last night's finale of Chuck. NBC had better renew it next season.
    Monster Hunter Tri ID: N49H18
    Monster Hunter Name: Sundolos
    Region: North America
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited April 2009
    On season 5 of NipTuck. FREAKING amazingly disturbing show, the first three seasons were the best, but the last two haven't sucked. I wish they would get back to focusing on the patients in addition to the craziness of the character's lives, that is what made the first three awesome. The show has a very Dexter sense of morbid humour.
    "Back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's hilarious in modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of a FF7 remake."
    edited May 2009
    Ok, I officially want a second season of Dollhouse now. Or the season finale had better wrap up everything in a pretty pink bow.
    edited May 2009
    Tonights Breaking Bad reminded me of The Pine Barrens.
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited May 2009
    I am watching Krod Mandoon and the Flaming Sword of Fire on Comedy Central. It's not that funny.
    I thought Xena and Hercules did a good job of joking about the ridiculousness of the genre while also playing it straight.

The funniest character isn't Krod. It's Dungalor. I like his assistant even more. Why are the villains always more interesting?
    edited May 2009
    I tried watching that, really didn't find it all that amusing either. So I went back to listening to Southland in the background while I did my usual wind down stuff.
    edited May 2009
    Very average, although the bi-clops ep did get a steady chuckle.

Speaking of the cheeseball, Clark tracking GPS chips in meteor freaks heads with a PSP on Smallville tonight is priceless.
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited May 2009
    Very average, although the bi-clops ep did get a steady chuckle.

Speaking of the cheeseball, Clark tracking GPS chips in meteor freaks heads with a PSP on Smallville tonight is priceless.
    Hah hah hah... beyond absurd.
    "Back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's hilarious in modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of a FF7 remake."
    edited May 2009
    Lost spoilers ahead:

<span class="spoiler">So, is everything that has occurred in Lost the result of an argument between two supernatural beings?

It's not that much of a stretch to assume that the guy who engineered Jacob's death is likely named Esau. Is he the personification of the smoke monster, while Jacob is the personification of the Island? Since it's smokey's job to protect the island, is that why he couldn't attack Jacob directly?
    </span>

...Silly love triangle contrivances aside, I think I'm in love with the show again. Is it 2010 yet?
    edited May 2009
    In answer to your first question, yes. It's a one dollar bet like in Trading Places. Just turn that donkey wheel and you'll be in 2010.

I think JJ Abrams is like my new favorite dude, between Lost, Fringe (what a great finale there as well), and the fact that I've got homies who clown Star Trek who had their girls make them go, and they're now telling me I have to see it immediately. I may have to check it out this weekend.
    edited May 2009
    Dollhouse is getting a second season! YAY!
    edited May 2009
    Too bad the Sarah Connor Chronicles got the axe, but they really only have themselves to blame. The second half of this season was really obtuse...and boring...until the very end.
    edited May 2009
    A lot of people have been criticizing Jane's <span class="spoiler">heel turn</span> on Breaking Bad. Is knowing addicts that uncommon or something? It was done perhaps a little too quickly, but it wasn't hard for me to believe at all.
    edited May 2009
    Really? I haven't seen that at all, although really I only toss comments on the show your way here, and hit up the Penny Arcade thread on it. I know the comments are pretty much the same on the show every week at P.A., awe at how consistently good the show is, combined with a mention of how there's a tendency to need to spend a day processing before really commenting because it's so intense. The only debate there seems to center around how bad we should feel about the fact that we all still sympathize with Walt. I guess there was one guy who said Jesse's repeated use of "Yo" annoyed him, but other than that it's all love.

As to the point of your post it doesn't seem at all unrealistic to me. I guess I'll spoiler to be kind to any lurkers who watch the show, afaik you and I are the only one's who post here watching.

<span class="spoiler">I've only known a couple people who've been into heroin, so I guess my personal experience would be with other drugs, however her diving back in head first seemed pretty spot on to me. It also makes her O.D. make more sense. To a certain extent one would think that Jesse, being new to that drug would be the one to O.D., but she was clean for a year and a half and with her tolerence down plus having old patterns of how much to use coming into play, well seems like a recipe for drowning in vomit to me.</span>

I also must mention that I finished watching The Prisoner. I think Jormungand said he started watchin it as well so I'll spoiler again, but I have to ask <span class="spoiler">Did you throw that out there as sort of a "Battlestar should have just thrown in the towel like The Prisoner did" kind of thing? Because, c'mon, that last episode was ridiculous, awesome in that we got gunfights to the Beatles, but ridiculous. I did really enjoy the show overall though. Number 6 is a straight up pimp, and they had fights on trampolines, and killer balloons, so yeah, pretty amusing.</span>
    edited May 2009
    My main interaction wrt BB is GAF and admittedly they are not a paragon of anything. Good to know I'm not alone on that occurrence. As for Walt, I don't have much sympathy for him, but I don't exactly fault him for trying to get his either. A convenient position to take, I know.

As for The Prisoner's finale, that wasn't my point in recommending it, no. I offered it as an alternative to the serialized mystery BSG didn't thrive on. Does the show fumble at the end? Well it's really down to what you saw it as. I see the show as an enhanced interrogation session that lasts the better part of a day (externally). You're supposed to be bewildered and confused, that's exactly what "they" want.

Life on Mars (UK not US) is another example of this. After a complete series and half a sequel all we definitively know about Sam Tyler is that <span class="spoiler">he committed suicide</span> and that he <span class="spoiler">eventually returned to 1973</span>. The very nature of what went on is completely up to interpretation. I like watching shows I can come back to and still think about; if Caprica (whose pilot was great, gratuitous nudity aside) didn't exist I probably would never spend another second thinking about how BSG wrapped.

edited May 2009
    Fair enough. So if you watched, I'm assuming the end of The Sopranos was up your alley then. Also, I saw a commercial today,apparently the next BB is the season finale. Wasn't really ready for that, I had assumed the first season was short because of the writers strike, and it feels like the new eps didn't start that long ago.
    edited June 2009
    Talk about theatrics in that Breaking Bad finale.
    edited June 2009
    I think it was my least favortie ep. of the series. Still better than 95% of tv though, I just didn't like how the ending panned out. <span class="spoiler">I would have much rather seen the arc with Jane end cleanly, other than lingering mental effects on Jesse, so they can focus on whatever's going to happen with Tuco's uncle next season. Mid-air collisions makes that seem unlikely.</span>

This show's ruining Weeds for me. I mean, I still like Weeds, but Breaking Bad sorta makes it feel like some sort of Full House style cheesy formulaic comedy.