If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Let The Name Mashing Begin!

CastomelCastomel MemberFull Members
edited December 2002 in Latest Updates
So anyway, Enix has announced Dragon Lagoon for the PS2, leading me to believe that:

a)They're taking the "Nuts and gum: together at last" approach with Dragon Warrior and Bahamut Lagoon

b)They're ripping off SoA piecemeal

c)Neither of the above; I just needed something to flesh out a one-line newsbit.

You be the judge ^_^
Whoa! Slow down there, tubby! You're not on the moon yet!

Comments

• LordBrianLordBrian Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    I'd be happier if it wasn't described as an action RPG, but based solely on the name and company alone, I'm looking forward to it.
  • chiapetchiapet Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    Considering that the merger has not yet been approved, there is very little chance this game has anything to do with Bahamut Lagoon.
  • SupraDarkySupraDarky Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    Hey, are you sure you didn't mean Drag on Dragoon instead of Dragon Lagoon ? I'm saying this because I just saw news saying that Enix was anouncing Drag on Dragoon for the PS2 where you ride a gigantic dragon fighting hordes of monsters in the sky. The game will be developed by Project Dragon Sphere, a development team which has previously worked on Namco's Ace Combat and Ridge Racer games.

So yea I tought it would be kinda strange for Enix to anounce 2 RPGs on the PS2 wich took place in the sky related to Dragons.
  • little tigerlittle tiger Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    Sounds wicked. Wonder if Sendak's gonna be in it wink.gif
  • TrueGamerTrueGamer Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    Well, I always wanted to play Bahamut Lagoon, but this will have to do. It sounds a little like Panzer Dragoon though...
  • Options
    edited December 2002
    Wouldn't Chrono Trigger be a much better comparison?

1) There were also floating islands
    2) There actually was people on the land who didn't like those in the air
    3) A lot more people know about CT than SoA
    edited December 2002
    Except that the floating continent thing was the main focus of Skies of Arcadia, while it was only a small part of Chrono Trigger. When people think of games about floating islands, I'd probably say more people think of FF6 before CT, and SoA before both of them.
  • little tigerlittle tiger Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    ...and Bahamut Lagoon before all of those, and FFIIIj as the grand mother of them all.
    edited December 2002
    Well yea, I have the confirmaton. It's not Dragon Lagoon, it's Drag-on Dragoon.
    edited December 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"...and Bahamut Lagoon before all of those, and FFIIIj as the grand mother of them all.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Not as games the average player would think of, though. Which was really the reason SoA was used in the news story.

• Options
    edited December 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LordBrian @ Dec. 12 2002,13:39)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Except that the floating continent thing was the main focus of Skies of Arcadia, while it was only a small part of Chrono Trigger. When people think of games about floating islands, I'd probably say more people think of FF6 before CT, and SoA before both of them.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Also Tales of Destiny and Granstream Saga. I think of Granstream Saga more than any of them when I think of floating islands.
  • LazeronLazeron New Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    An action rpg that takes place in the sky and land...it almost sounds like Drakan a bit but it's an interesting concept at least. I think Square's track record for producing action rpgs is pretty good, and I've always enjoyed playing them though they aren't completely perfect, but I'll wait for information on this one.

You know, I was actually motivated to respond because the blurb for the story was one of the weirdest things that I have ever read in my life--I actually found it pretty funny--don't ask.

Lazeron
  • MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited December 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (chiapet @ Dec. 12 2002,07:37)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Considering that the merger has not yet been approved, there is very little chance this game has anything to do with Bahamut Lagoon.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    So it's possible that the merger can still be canceled. When you say it has yet to be approved are you referring to the respective companies' management or the Japanese government? Who has to approve the merger?
    LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
  • chiapetchiapet Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MonCapitan2002 @ Dec. 13 2002,03:24)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"So it's possible that the merger can still be canceled. When you say it has yet to be approved are you referring to the respective companies' management or the Japanese government? Who has to approve the merger?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    The share holders of both companies have to vote to approve the merger. I think the vote is scheduled to take place within the next few weeks, but I'm not sure, it could be in January.
    edited December 2002
    Ok no offense at all, but I keep telling you it's NOT Dragon Lagoon, it's Drag-on Dragoon ! Now that this is confirmed, why even talk about some connection with Dragon Warrior or Bahamut Lagoon ?? Go see for yourself in other sites if you don't trust me, I'm not inventing anything !
  • CastomelCastomel Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    Because Drag-on Dragoon sounds like a pre-Anglicized name, which suggests to me that it's either a rough translation or a lousy one. Herego, I think I'll stick with the name that actually sounds decent, regardless of whether it's what you say is the name or not.

Even if it isn't, we return to my multiple choice from above (read: I tossed in all that fun speculation to pad what would otherwise have been a one-line newsbit). So, at the end of the day, I guess we can sum it up as follows:

I really don't care, because Drag-on Dragoon sounds damned stupid and makes little to no sense. If I'm wrong, well, so be it... I'm sure everyone will have fun poking little chunks out of me if the game somehow gets sent over here with that horrid name. If not, nyah nyah nyah.

Yessirree, I sure am childish at 6 AM... peace out laugh.gif
  • CastomelCastomel Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    Well, colour me stupid.. They actually made a logo for the damned thing -_-

What a crappy name, though...