The RPGamer Forums will be closing on May 2, 2021.

What are you playing today?

Comments

• knightofhyruleknightofhyrule Member Full Members
    edited June 2006
    On that subject, why hasn't *that* character shown up any in a Suikoden since then? Not to mention Yuber and Persmerga. Unless one or more of those three is in Suiko V and I just haven't seen them, but I'm not optimistic.
  • edited June 2006
    im waiting for PSO4 smile3.png for all those who dont know omg u suck smile6.png (phantasy star online 4) those games rock...
  • SorenLovesIkeSorenLovesIke Member Full Members
    edited June 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"On that subject, why hasn't *that* character shown up any in a Suikoden since then? Not to mention Yuber and Persmerga. Unless one or more of those three is in Suiko V and I just haven't seen them, but I'm not optimistic.[/QUOTE]

Konami probably noticed the poor reception of Suikoden III, and decided an appearance by "<span class="spoiler">Luc and Yuber</span>" wouldn't be welcome.

Well, I'd welcome it. No matter what anyone says, I'm part of the Suikoden III fanclub. I liked experiencing the story from multiple perspectives. It was handled a little better (in my opinion) in Arc the Lad: ToS, but it was interesting nonetheless. I saw nothing wrong with the pacing.

If any Suikoden suffers from pacing problems, it's Suikoden IV.

Anyway, I'm nearing the end of Wild Arms 4. Was I the only person pleasantly surprised by that game? I'm a pretty tough critic, but I'm really liking it.
  • Kit cloudKit cloud Member Full Members
    edited June 2006
    Well my question is what is it about 2 that is so much better than 3? ?IV I conced has a very blah battle system despite the fact that I'm loving a turnbased game, but I see nothing wrong with the pacing in it. ?If I didn't go to every island to level up and just went through the story as it was ment to be, well I'd see a perfectly good story. ?

So 3's story was a bit...contrived, at least there was stratigy involved in the wars.
    ...My two cents...

• Slayer of GodSlayer of God Member Full Members
    edited June 2006
    Third runthrough of the main game of Star Ocean 3. Collecting a bunch of Battle Trophies I missed out on.
    Within the spreading darkness, I pledged a vow to the revolution.
  • thinkfreemindthinkfreemind Member Full Members
    edited June 2006
    I started Growlanser Generations a couple of days ago. I am enjoying it so far.
  • Gouden DraakGouden Draak Member Full Members
    edited June 2006
    Expecting a cheap copy of Ogrebattle: March of the Black Queen to arrive soon.

Suikoen V reminded me of how much I missed a good war tactics game.
    edited June 2006
    Finish Suiko V, playing Suiko II, then will play Suiko V again.
  • friscodudefriscodude New Member Full Members
    edited June 2006
    Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 2

Currently at the Underwater Cable Dungeon, mastering all 1000 macca mantras for everyone. Time consuming but useful.
  • SolaceSolace Member Full Members
    edited June 2006
    Just started Robotech and FF6 on the SNES. Might have a look over a few other RPGs. I could do with actually FINISHING something I start these days...
  • purelunaticpurelunatic Member Full Members
    edited June 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(SorenLovesIke @ Jun. 03 2006,23:29)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"Ah, well... I liked Suikoden V a lot. It's not quite on par with II, but it's close.

And I'm one of the weirdos who enjoyed Suikoden III immensely. I still don't understand why it's so hated.[/QUOTE]
    Hey I really enjoyed that game, playing the 3 characters and having their stories intertwined was a cool idea. I'd still say 1 and 2 were better though. Playing Atelier Iris right now, its pretty good, surprisingly...

• LassicLassic Member Full Members
    edited June 2006
    Playing Final Fantasy I on the PS with 2 Fighters and 2 Red Mages in my party and just beaten the crap out of Atlos smile22.png
    edited June 2006
    I just finished Wild Arms 4, and loved it. I'm completely surprised by how much I liked that game. I thought I'd hate it. WA2 & 3 were both disappointments for me, but 4 was good. I liked that it didn't necessarily have a happy ending. It felt more realistic that way.

It got a little cheesy with the "adults vs. children" discussions, but that was the only flaw.

Now I'm moving on to God of War. I don't know why I'm replaying it. I just want to.
  • edited June 2006
    I've been playing PoPoLoCrois on PSP while playing Atelier Iris 2: The Azoth of Destiny on PS2.

I just got PoPoLoCrois on Sunday, and I'll admit I had no idea what I'd think of the game. My last two PSP RPGs didn't get played much, but PoPoLoCrois is doing pretty well. I definitely like the characters, setting, and battle system greatly.

Atelier Iris 2 is the main PS2 RPG I've been playing. I bought it on release, but didn't start really playing it until a few weeks ago. I'm around 15 hours into the game, and really liking it, although not as much as Eternal Mana.
  • DarceDarce Member Full Members
    edited June 2006
    Phantasy Star on GBA. I have owned Collection for over a year, but haven?t wanted to play it since I had the old GBA-version. Hard on the eyes. But now I?ve got DS, so no prob.
  • GrowlanserGrowlanser Member Full Members
    edited June 2006
    I finally beat Digital Devil Saga 2. Now I can finally put this game into that deluxe package with part one and store it somewhere random. Right now I am playing nothing, but for some reason I've been looking into buying Shining Force Neo this weekend.
  • DarceDarce Member Full Members
    edited June 2006
    Just got Arc: Twilight of the Spirits, so now I?m playing it. Seems promising, if somewhat clich?ed.
    edited June 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(SorenLovesIke @ Jun. 06 2006,21:23)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"I just finished Wild Arms 4, and loved it. I'm completely surprised by how much I liked that game. I thought I'd hate it. WA2 & 3 were both disappointments for me, but 4 was good. I liked that it didn't necessarily have a happy ending. It felt more realistic that way.[/QUOTE]
    I didn't enjoy it as much as I did 3 or ACF, but it was good.

Though hearing what happens to Jude in the ending really eliminated any desire for me to finish it.

Anyway, I'm building up my Battle Trophy collection in SO3. Up to 126 currently.
  • XeroZoharXeroZohar Member Full Members
    edited June 2006
    *resubscribes to this thread*
    Playing Half-Life 2. Ravenholm.
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"<Karlinn> "We don't go to Ravenholm... which means you're about to. Nice knowing you, sucker!"[/QUOTE]
    Maybe I'll finish it this time?

edited June 2006
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"Though hearing what happens to Jude in the ending really eliminated any desire for me to finish it.[/QUOTE]

I didn't have much love for Jude, so I didn't really care. However, his "<span class="spoiler">breakdown after he killed his father</span>" redeemed his character a bit, as it was a surprisingly emotional moment. I suppose you didn't play that far.

I was much more drawn to the characters of Arnaud, Raquel and Yulie. Personally, I love the fact that the ending wasn't happily ever after. I think more games should follow suit.

Anyway, I finished God of War (again) and I'm skipping the extras this time. I'm moving on to Chaos Legion. I've never played it, I just acquired an old copy.
    edited June 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(SorenLovesIke @ Jun. 08 2006,14:21)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"I suppose you didn't play that far.[/QUOTE]
    I'm at the final battle.

And although I liked Jude, that had nothing to do with my being put off. It was the fact that after the really important promise he made to Yulie's brother about protecting her, the ending just disregards that with no reasonable explanation. And frankly, even with one, I'd be turned off.

I like to refer to this as the Shadow of the Colusus(sp?) syndrome, except without the bad controls.

• starbladestarblade Member Full Members
    edited June 2006
    Eh, Brain Age and Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones. My Nintendo Ds has captivated my gaming diet lately. I'm still staring at my copy of Grandia 3, with eyes laden with low expectations...
  • DavisDavis 2 Human 2 Furious Full Members
    edited June 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(XeroZohar @ Jun. 08 2006,13:31)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"Playing Half-Life 2. Ravenholm.[/QUOTE]
    I beat Half-Life 2: Episode 1 - The Stupidly Named Piece of Episodic Content last night. Coincidence? I think not.

If I were to review it for "Men on Film" I would say that I most definitely hated it. Two and Three better be a helluva lot better than One or I'm going to be sad, totally.

Five tons of Flax,
    Davis
    edited June 2006
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"It was the fact that after the really important promise he made to Yulie's brother about protecting her, the ending just disregards that with no reasonable explanation. And frankly, even with one, I'd be turned off.[/QUOTE]

I think it's a reflection of his age. I made all sorts of promises when I was a kid--promising to keep in touch with my friends was one of them. I didn't have the same friends in junior high as I had in high school, and I certainly don't have the same friends in adult life as I had in school. The fact that "<span class="spoiler">the Wild Arms IV friends didn't keep in contact really doesn't surprise me.</span>" I doesn't turn me off of the game, either. I think it's unique, and very realistic.

Besides, there's no one left to pursue Yulie. Why should he still feel the need to protect her? Yulie made it quite clear that she didn't want to be a burden on anyone. For all we know, Jude might feel unworthy after everything that happened. He "<span class="spoiler">watched his mom die, couldn't save Kresnik, and killed his own father</span>".

edited June 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(SorenLovesIke @ Jun. 08 2006,21:12)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"I think it's a reflection of his age. I made all sorts of promises when I was a kid--promising to keep in touch with my friends was one of them. I didn't have the same friends in junior high as I had in high school, and I certainly don't have the same friends in adult life as I had in school.[/QUOTE]
    Well, me neither.

But I also didn't go on a journey to save the world with them. I think something like that deserves keeping in touch, even in a limited capacity.

U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"Besides, there's no one left to pursue Yulie. Why should he still feel the need to protect her?[/QUOTE]

Duty? Honor? I know that if the last words of a man were for me to look after his sister I'd certainly do it.

U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE" Yulie made it quite clear that she didn't want to be a burden on anyone. For all we know, Jude might feel unworthy after everything that happened. He "<span class="spoiler">watched his mom die, couldn't save Kresnik, and killed his own father</span>".[/QUOTE]

This certainly has some truth to it, but I still don't think that it requires him to live in a forest by himself for the rest of his life.
  • MeoTwister5MeoTwister5 Member Full Members
    edited June 2006
    Back to the world of Spira, back to the world of FFX.
    edited June 2006
    Majora's Mask. Why not?
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited June 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Davis @ Jun. 08 2006,19:57)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(XeroZohar @ Jun. 08 2006,13:31)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"Playing Half-Life 2. Ravenholm.[/QUOTE]
    I beat Half-Life 2: Episode 1 - The Stupidly Named Piece of Episodic Content last night. Coincidence? I think not.

If I were to review it for "Men on Film" I would say that I most definitely hated it. Two and Three better be a helluva lot better than One or I'm going to be sad, totally.

Five tons of Flax,
    Davis[/QUOTE]
    That's strange, almost every reviewer in the world is orgasming all over Steam because it's apparently "TEH AWESOME!" smile6.png What was wrong with it in your eyes? *Is buying it soon*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • Gouden DraakGouden Draak Member Full Members
    edited June 2006
    Tried out Dragon Quarter and didn`t like it at all. I don`t really have the time to restart a game over a dozen times, and I got irritated by the lack of funds. (What? I`m supposed to set traps? and dynamite and bombs cost HOW much?) Ditto for healing. I heard it was hard, but I wasn`t expecting it to be frustrating-hard too.

On to waiting for my OGrebattle: March of the Black Queen in the mail. I enjoyed my old SNES copy, but don`t have it anymore. I'm getting the PSX copy. Those war battles in Suikoden V reminded me of how much I missed that game.
  • GilgameshGilgamesh Member Full Members
    edited June 2006
    I'm devoting most of my energy into Kingdom Hearts 2, and I'm rather enjoying it. On the side I'm playing through Shadowrun again. The SNES version, not that piece of crap Sega one.