The RPGamer Forums will be closing on May 2, 2021.

What are you playing today?

Comments

• Happy HoboHappy Hobo Member Full Members
    edited June 2005
    *Still listening to the WA:AC F OST*
  • edited June 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(RIPtoad @ Jun. 26 2005,11:41)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE" I just bought a copy of Front Mission 4 for $8. I'll get to that tomorrow.[/QUOTE]
    I played a demo of that thing a while back--it was somewhat interesting, but the pace was slow as all get out, if I recall correctly. I'd be interested to hear what you think of it after you've played it for a while, LiQuid!.[/QUOTE]
    My take on RPG's lately really isn't usually all that thrilling. What happens is usually I'll either really really hate them or I'll like it ok enough but get terribly bored with it after 20-30 hours (which is where I think all goddamned RPG's need to end, I don't care how much I enjoy them). The only RPG's I've beaten in the last 2 or 3 years have been all three Nippon Ichi TRPG's and shockingly enough Tales of Symphonia despite the fact that I literally dozed off during some of the dialogue segments.
  • SupraDarkySupraDarky Member Full Members
    edited June 2005
    ^You forgot Jade Empire.
  • edited June 2005
    Yeah I guess, technically...

It's hard to even consider that an RPG though. It's like a Zork-esque text adventure with a kung-fu mini game tossed in every few hours...

Ok I guess that was kind of thrilling for an RPG take from me, but it'll be the last for a while. Guaranteed.
  • DavisDavis 2 Human 2 Furious Full Members
    edited June 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(LiQuid! @ Jun. 26 2005,21:59)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"It's hard to even consider that an RPG though. It's like a Zork-esque text adventure with a kung-fu mini game tossed in every few hours...[/QUOTE]
    You win the internets.

Five tons of Flax,
    Davis
  • edited June 2005
    Is it just me or am I on a fricken roll tonight?
  • Slayer of GodSlayer of God Member Full Members
    edited June 2005
    Arc the Lad III - In the middle of "<span class="spoiler">creating the new ark.</span>"
    Within the spreading darkness, I pledged a vow to the revolution.
  • DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited June 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(LiQuid! @ Jun. 26 2005,22:30)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"Is it just me or am I on a fricken roll tonight?[/QUOTE]
    The roll is on the liquid.

Anyhow, I got the airbirds. Silly things. More importantly though I can fly, and promptly went and picked up super armor and a light saber. You know, they really should've given it a light saber sound effect too. I never would end up de-equipping it if they did. Just hearing a 'vrwoorn' when I swung it would ensure it staying there for the rest of the game.

Dracos
  • ffwarrioressffwarrioress Member Full Members
    edited June 2005
    I'm playing SO3. blush.gif
  • edited June 2005
    Hey Dracos, I just did the first fight with the spiky-haired Venezualan guy, so I'm not real far in, but does FM4 ever drop the battle>upgrade>plot>repeat formula? I like the fighting and upgrading and can't wait to get all kinds of wacky ass wanzer parts, but I really don't know if I can handle all the formulaic linearity at the moment.
  • Daryth_DarkmoonDaryth_Darkmoon New Member Full Members
    edited June 2005
    I'm working on FFX for the second time.
    I would be playing La Pucelle Tactics but I loaned that out.
    I'd really like to be playing Disgaea, but with my hours cut at work I can't afford to buy any new games for awhile.
  • SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited June 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Daryth_Darkmoon @ Jun. 27 2005,22:52)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"but with my hours cut at work I can't afford to buy any new games for awhile.[/QUOTE]
    Disgaea is almost 2 years old...
    Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
  • RIPtoadRIPtoad Member Full Members
    edited June 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Solon @ Jun. 27 2005,19:58)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Daryth_Darkmoon @ Jun. 27 2005,22:52)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"but with my hours cut at work I can't afford to buy any new games for awhile.[/QUOTE]
    Disgaea is almost 2 years old...[/QUOTE]
    I'm sure he meant new for him, as in games he didn't own yet.
    edited June 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(LiQuid! @ Jun. 27 2005,13:22)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"Hey Dracos, I just did the first fight with the spiky-haired Venezualan guy, so I'm not real far in, but does FM4 ever drop the battle>upgrade>plot>repeat formula? I like the fighting and upgrading and can't wait to get all kinds of wacky ass wanzer parts, but I really don't know if I can handle all the formulaic linearity at the moment.[/QUOTE]
    actually, it gets worse.

It becomes battle>upgrade>plot>switchallyourcharacterstoanotherteam>repeat

Truthfully, it's that fourth bit that really started to bear on me as I got very sick of refitting a separate team with effectively the same sort of setup every couple of fights.

Dracos
  • Diamond WEAPONDiamond WEAPON Member Full Members
    edited June 2005
    today I've been playing this crazy Raiden-like top-down shooter... http://newgrounds.com/portal/view/246725
  • edited June 2005
    That really sucks. Why did they bother splitting the game into two different groups of characters and make it disgustingly linear? rock.gif There's something about RPG's (and TRPG's in particular) that make them pretty unplayable when they don't actually let me 'build' my characters but instead give me a limited amount of bad guys to kill and then just let me buy abilities or whatnot with whatever points I accumulate on the way through the plot. I don't play TRPG's for plot especially not bloated and nonsensical political plots which seems to be the direction FM4 is headed. That's why I love the NIS games so much. It's just a vehicle for a huge, addictive, and highly exploitable battle system. NIS needs to make a mech TRPG...

<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"today I've been playing this crazy Raiden-like top-down shooter...[/QUOTE]
    Playing top-down shooters with a keyboard is why God invented suicide.
  • MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited June 2005
    I've been playing Lufia:Ruins of Lore. While I have heard of less than stellar opinions of the game, I happen to like it. While it certainly has its flaws I find the game to be a bit of fun.
    LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
  • RIPtoadRIPtoad Member Full Members
    edited June 2005
    Well, I just finished Dark Cloud 2. And by finished, I mean that I watched the credits roll and the words "The End" show up when they were done. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that there was a Chapter 8! Way to wrap up a game, dudes. (The first time I played this, I made it up to the final boss, but I got timed out, and was so disgusted that it took me this long to go back and finally play it through to the "end".) So, anyhow, guess I'll check out Chapter 8, though without Monica the game is not quite as appealing to me. Hopefully Max will find her in the tunnels somewhere, though I have no idea how they would explain that happening. Ah, well. 100 hours this playthrough, to 140 first time around. I haven't quite gotten Max's ultimate weapons yet (one step down on both).

• Tigron111Tigron111 Member Full Members
    edited June 2005
    I've actually been playing this nice little download called 'ahriman's prophecy.' For a freebie, it's pretty solid. Also managed to get the demo of Destroy All Humans! Today with my OPS2 mag. Just can't get enough of blowing up human heads.
  • DavisDavis 2 Human 2 Furious Full Members
    edited June 2005
    Destroy All Humans makes me want to play Mercenaries again.

Five tons of Flax,
    Davis
  • Diamond WEAPONDiamond WEAPON Member Full Members
    edited June 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(LiQuid! @ Jun. 27 2005,20:28)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"That really sucks. ?Why did they bother splitting the game into two different groups of characters and make it disgustingly linear? rock.gif ?There's something about RPG's (and TRPG's in particular) that make them pretty unplayable when they don't actually let me 'build' my characters but instead give me a limited amount of bad guys to kill and then just let me buy abilities or whatnot with whatever points I accumulate on the way through the plot. ?I don't play TRPG's for plot especially not bloated and nonsensical political plots which seems to be the direction FM4 is headed. ?That's why I love the NIS games so much. ?It's just a vehicle for a huge, addictive, and highly exploitable battle system. ?NIS needs to make a mech TRPG...

<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"today I've been playing this crazy Raiden-like top-down shooter...[/QUOTE]
    Playing top-down shooters with a keyboard is why God invented suicide.[/QUOTE]
    did you actually play it? I found the controls pretty good and was able to beat easy mode my second time through...
  • KalvKalv Member Full Members
    edited June 2005
    Gonna be playing Atellier Iris Eternal Mana in 4 hours and 30 minutes here =/ Waits killing me its not fair ><. And if none of the 15 eb games/gamestop around here get it in today theres gonna be hell to pay. =/ In the mean time listening to the kick ass soundtrack )

kalv - bored rpg gamer.
  • edited June 2005
    Yeah, for around 5 minutes Diamond. I just can't do it. Even if via practice I could make the controls acceptable enough to progress through the game I wouldn't be having any fun. I'm too used to using thumbs.
  • theprofessionaltheprofessional Member Full Members
    edited June 2005
    Replaying Final Fantasy X but this time, using the International styled-grid (which makes the game harder)

I've fallen for FFX all over again and after 120 more hours, I'm going to play FFX-2 and then maybe Atelier Iris or Shining Tears. I've STILL yet to get Arc the Lad EOD.
    edited June 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(LiQuid! @ Jun. 27 2005,20:28)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"That really sucks. Why did they bother splitting the game into two different groups of characters and make it disgustingly linear? rock.gif There's something about RPG's (and TRPG's in particular) that make them pretty unplayable when they don't actually let me 'build' my characters but instead give me a limited amount of bad guys to kill and then just let me buy abilities or whatnot with whatever points I accumulate on the way through the plot. I don't play TRPG's for plot especially not bloated and nonsensical political plots which seems to be the direction FM4 is headed. That's why I love the NIS games so much. It's just a vehicle for a huge, addictive, and highly exploitable battle system. NIS needs to make a mech TRPG...

U
    O
    T
    Playing top-down shooters with a keyboard is why God invented suicide.[/QUOTE]
    Because they wanted to remove everything that made the previous game tons of fun and instead achieve the level of hardcore realism that is only gotten with a crappy B-movie war plot.

Dracos
    edited June 2005
    I just finished off getting the eternal sword and starting the ninja quest. Fought The Bear yesterday. Level 73. Skills tweaked and wielding fenrir's ice blade. It totally ripped me apart ;_; After that I didn't even try to go steal odin's gungir. Though now with the eternal blade I should be doing a hundred or so more damage a blow. Might be enough to take out The Bear. Either that or going and looting the treasure map.
  • SupraDarkySupraDarky Member Full Members
    edited June 2005
    I'm playing Meteos and that game rocks. Can't wait to try out the multiplayer with some friends.
  • Slayer of GodSlayer of God Member Full Members
    edited June 2005
    Arc the Lad III - Just picked up Anrietta as a party member, which no matter how many times I do it, still amuses the hell out of me.

Star Ocean 3 - My characters are in the 100's, and Gabriel Celesta is still kicking my ass. ><

Thinking of giving Lunar 2 EBC another runthrough.
    Within the spreading darkness, I pledged a vow to the revolution.
  • NiuNiu Member Full Members
    edited June 2005
    *burns down house at my lack of cash to buy Drag-on Dragoon 2 and OZ

I hate to do this, but I guess I have to ask my mother if she can borrow me any money.

*replay RS MS and NxC while I am at it

BTW, you problem with Gaby. What mode you are in? If it is just Galaxy, tweak your defence up to somewhere around 2000 and he'll be a piece fo cake. And, some paralysis charm always help.
  • KratosKratos New Member Full Members
    edited June 2005
    I just got Atelier Iris. Going to start playing it right now.