If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

What are you playing today?

Comments

• DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    Leveling, there's always the Expcast trick with magic. Get it to 96, eat the lasagna, equip as many Moogle Charms as you can, and toss them once per battle at enemies. You'll get a ton of exp for it. Repeat. Best use on low level enemies near Hammerhead. But make sure you stay at the expensive hotel in Altissia, it's 3x exp and will guarantee those needed levels. Gil...just sell anything not needed for upgraded equipment quests (save for the Rare Coins, those are needed for the Expcast trick).
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • Alex FullerAlex Fuller Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2017
    I'm putting down Dark Rose Valkyrie until E3 is over so I can focus on getting through Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception first (and spend some time with FF14). Short version about Dark Rose Valkyrie: it's terrible. All of the hope that I had for Compile Heart after Fairy Fencer F is well and truly gone, they've fallen back into the previous problem of just shoving systems on top of systems without any care in making them understandable. The game is not remotely fun to play and the story is simply mediocre at best. All the 3D visuals are pretty rubbish as well. The only positive I could give it is that the character art is pretty nice. Probably won't get a full review because I've simply got better things to do, but there'll be a Deep Look a bit after E3, need to play it a few hours more to justify everything.

Speaking of Utawarerumono, I've finally found a bit where the plot gets interesting. Why it had to spend twelve+ hours on mostly irrelevant stuff (five consecutive lengthy event scenes about making sweets?!) and put only 4 or 5 battles in that time I don't know, but now that some external forces are finally driving some plot forwards it's gotten a lot more interesting. Haku
    Spoiler:
    (and the world's)
    backstory is nuts. It's still definitely a slower game than Tears 2. Also not sure if the twins are deliberately off-putting or a concerning holdover from Aquaplus' eroge roots...
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    I'm putting down Dark Rose Valkyrie until E3 is over so I can focus on getting through Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception first (and spend some time with FF14). Short version about Dark Rose Valkyrie: it's terrible.

Wow, its hilarious you mention that. I literally just rented Dark Rose Valkyrie, breaking what was probably a 10 year self-imposed ban on anything with Idea Factory/Compile Heart in the title. If a game had either of those two names associated with it, I refused to even consider playing it no matter what. Then I saw this one which looked neat, and the description said that a Tales character designer worked on it, and that it had Danganronpa/Lost Dimension style of interrogating and searching for traitors. So I selected it for rental because why not, only to discover a little later that it was a joint effort between the two companies and wondering how I didn't notice that key piece of information before. So now my 10 year embargo is about to end on a game that I was hoping had a little bit of promise. Hopefully its not the absolute sludge I've played from them before, but you're impression of the title does not bode too well.
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2017
    I started Deus Ex: Mankind Divided today and played for about an hour. I had read it stumbled through the start, but I wasn't expecting it to be so uncompelling. I stopped to refill my tea and just don't really feel like playing it more. The tutorial mission reminded me of the flaws in the series' gameplay rather than its strengths, and the story drops you in what feels like the 2nd episode of the 4th season if a TV show where nothing makes sense, but the dialogue is frantic and sounds dire. Then you wake up in your apartment for the slow, dull "walk around your apartment complex and click everything" sequence that western games used to think was awesome and now no one does anymore because it's not.

Not a compelling start at all. And my inventory is already full. And it crashed once and I lost 5 minutes of walking around the apartment and had to do it again.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • TheDoomhammerTheDoomhammer Prod with the Prod Full Members
    Yeah, MD is pretty rough. There's a few good side missions but the main story is a huge waste of time that doesn't go anywhere, and the characters people liked in HR have all been replaced with the dullest cast imaginable.
  • Michael BakerMichael Baker RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Update on Final Fantasy VI Advanced: World of Ruin, with Sabin, Edgar, Setzer, Cyan, Gau, Relm, Strago, and Terra recovered. Next up is Shadow before I go rescue Locke from his own sense of adventure, then on to unlock Mog's hidey-hole, pick up the optional stuff, and see about taking on Kefka.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    So after bouncing a few games I have decided to go back to SRW V. And there are two things which makes me excited

One is the fact it has some of the FMP stuff from the novels which were never made into a Novel which allows me to continue a bit.

Two Cross Ange seems like an amazing Anime and i really wanna watch it.
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
    I got Code Name S.T.E.A.M. for Father's Day this year. Currently halfway through the first chapter, on the park map with the constantly respawning Hounds.
    edited June 2017
    I started Drakengard 3 yesterday and I'm on the 2nd stage of the 3rd chapter. It's exactly what people explained it to be: vulgar, offensive dialogue with an unexplained setting and no backstory or plot development, coupled with an awkward button-mashing battle system with major framerate and camera issues. I'm enjoying the dialogue a lot. Overall, the writing reminds me of Nier more than Nier Automata did, and I like that. I don't know if Mikhail counts as a child character, but if he does he's awesome for a "kid" and his dialogue with Zero leaves me the most entertained.

So far the combat isn't as bad as I was expecting, but maybe it gets worse later.
    I'm about the same point you are from when I played it, if you take it as each of the sisters were where the alters from Drakengard were placed then it makes some sense
    sig.gif

and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Into the fourth chapter of Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. now, and I may actually be getting used to this style of tactical game (maybe, eventually). The tiny alien things called Nettlers are a pain in the smurf, though
    Up to chapter 44ish (not sure off the top of head) in SRW:V. Loving the game so far, managed to get a few achievements. Lots of aces and super aces, Gotten 2 silver emblems and one gold. Not sure what those do however.

Plots is trudging along back through Space Battleship Yamato 2099 since I've gone that route primarily cause I really enjoy Real Robots to Super Robots. Most robots are 50%+ for load out.
    sig.gif

• Cassandra RamosCassandra Ramos Eternal Kyoshi Administrators
    edited June 2017
    The fourth sea battle in Act 6 of FE Echoes is nuts. Those dagons are super powerful and they can take a lot of hits. I finally managed to beat the map through a lot of grinding. Got a lucky critical with the White Wings' Triangle Attacks, too.

Edit-- I attempted the Thabes Labyrinth and got Alm killed on the 8th basement floor. It's very difficult and I get the feeling the game may be trying to tempt to buy EXP/Overclass DLC. I should be able to escape the dungeon and repeat until my characters are a high enough level. I should also be more frustrated with starting over, but instead I'm just determined. I'm also hugely intrigued by the lore found in this dungeon.
    Spoiler:
    This is a bit of an odd way to tell Grima's origins, but I'm so fascinated! And there's still the story of the first Exalt of Ylisse if Intelligent Systems wants to get a game out of it. After all, there are a few implications that Grima is related to the earth dragons in some way, but this backstory only mentions the use of divine dragon's blood in Grima's creation. This would explain why Grima has wings and Duma's resemblance to him (maybe it was his blood the alchemist used? How would he get it in the first place?), but it doesn't explain the note in the artbook saying he descended from the earth dragons, or his connections to the Dragon's Table and the Shield of Seals.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

yeah that floor is crazy, I'm actually starting a new game where I level all the villager characters to max level before promoting them
    sig.gif

edited June 2017
    I finished the lost verses of Drakengard 3 tonight and have a grind ahead of me to unlock Branch D. Depending on how quickly the grind goes, this could be the end for me. The gameplay just isn't fun enough to rerun Accord's requests 70 times. I looked online to check the best levels to grind and I'll give it a whirl when the Bellator prelims are done.

I'm only playing it for the dialogue, and enjoyed that through the end of Branch A. Branch B, C, and the lost verses were all more serious, focusing on a story that made less and less sense as it built to Branch D rather than on the absurd party banter I liked. Some of these boss fights have been awful, no thanks to the bad controls for Mikhail. I keep feeling this shouldn't have been a video game. The gameplay is all a drag and it would have made a better anime.

EDIT: That wasn't so bad. Thanks to looking up the best way to make gold, it only took a little over an hour of grinding, and I had a physically tiring day and didn't mind zoning out for an hour. Unfortunately, I still can't open Branch D so I must need to do one of the Accord's requests I skipped. Looking that up now and hoping it's not too impossible. I stopped doing the Book Club requests because they got too hard.
    edited June 2017
    Hopefully its not too bad for you 7th. Even as someone who hated the game while playing it I don't think it was all that taxing time wise to unlock all the pertinent endings. I missed Bellator too since I didn't want to do the PPV, and I heard it was a wild night. Hopefully that was a good weekend for you!

Been playing Dark Rose Valkyrie for the past few days now and I have to say, I don't actually hate it just yet. The save state says I'm on Chapter 3 right now, and I think I have a little over 11 hours played thus far. Still have yet to make it to the interrogation portion that was a selling point, hopefully thats fun. I've been relatively confused about the inner workings of the systems in play here, but I think I've lucked into a solid groove for figuring out how to do fights. The fast-forward option for random battles is appreciated and I don't feel totally lost. Even though the random fluff missions can be pretty damn vague, I somehow figured them out where to go and what to do without too much time down the drain. While DRV does have a ton of problems, I expected it to be complete pond scum, and because its not that bad I'm having an alright time coasting along with the fairly likable visual novel aspects.

Of course that also brings me to Utawarerumono which I've been playing almost every night for awhile now before going to bed. After the battle before arriving in the capital, it feels like there has been non-stop mundane slice-of-life segments which struggle to keep my attention for more than 20 or 30 minutes at a time. They're a great sleep aid though, thats for sure. While I am down on the game right now, I do like the presentation and know that once the actual content of the story picks up that I'll be hooked on it again. It'd be nice if more visual novels could improve on their pacing though. Danganronpa and 999 clearly demonstrate its more than possible to keep the reader engaged throughout without becoming completely engrossed in food or teasing for hours on end.
    So in my between game funk though I have a couple of games I'm closish to beating, Fable III being one of them and not exactly a hard game to beat
    sig.gif

Five hours into The Alliance Alive, and this game is great.
  • Joshua CarpenterJoshua Carpenter RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    I was sick yesterday, so I got to put 4 or 5 hours into Valkyria Revolution... surprisingly it's not the complete abomination that I was expecting. That's not to say it's good, but it seems like a perfectly average 3/5 JRPG. I'm a huge Valkyria Chronicles fan (VC1 is top 5 all time and VC3 around the top 10) so I've been down on Revolution since it was announced: an action RPG that ditches the art style and setting of the earlier games. After all these years SEGA finally makes a console Valkyria game and it's not another epic SRPG? I was upset.

After playing it, I'm kinda glad this isn't a successor to VC1 because they obviously didn't have the budget to pull that off. Revolution is a "B-tier" RPG: animations are stiff, art is muddled, load times even on the PS4 are noticeably long (glad I passed on the Vita port), and while there is a "world" to explore it is tiny. However, as I got past my expectations for a Valkyria game, I've begun to enjoy it more. The characters are just okay so far, but I really want to see where the story goes. The battle system plays like a more methodical version of Final Fantasy 15; every time you start an encounter there is strategy in whether you use a grenade or attack from a distance with gunfire before approaching and using melee weapons. The more enemies you kill on a map, the more susceptible the remaining enemies are to loosing their confidence and retreating. I got to the end of a map where I had mopped the floor with the enemies up to that point and there was one sizable base left to capture. Rather than just run in, I found their commander and shot him from a distance and the remaining 15 soldiers just ran away. It was kinda awesome.

So for $40, I don't feel too bad about this game. Honestly, if the Valkyria franchise were more of a going concern with consistent releases I wouldn't have a problem with an experimental spin-off. After this game bombed in Japan, I hope SEGA goes back and actually makes a strategy Valkyria game and doesn't just decide that Valkyria is dead because this 3/5 spin-off didn't sell.
    edited June 2017
    I got to the final boss of Drakengard 3, quickly realized that there must be a YouTube video out there to make it less impossible, found a video, and still couldn't beat it after a couple hours of trying. I don't think I've given up yet. My problem is I get bored and lose focus before a late part I keep failing at, and I tend to do better on a fresh attempt than trying repeatedly, so maybe I'll pick at it every now and then before tossing it on the completed games thread.

I started Pillars of Eternity because I bought Tyranny and Torment during the Steam sale and don't want 3 CRPGs in my backlog. Objectively, it's a big step up from the games it draws inspiration from, and that's a pleasant surprise. The character customization and class options are excellent. I almost created a Chanter just because it sounded like the most awesome bard ever, but went with a Paladin because it sounded awesome too and I liked that you get stat bonuses for making your behavior match your beliefs. I wish classes other than Priest could follow a god, though, after seeing how frequently that comes up in conversation.

The game's still a slow-paced stroll through long segments of talking followed by long segments of combat, to the point where each wears out its welcome before moving on. I guess that's too much a part of what makes a CRPG a CRPG, but it's why I don't enjoy these games more and don't play them often. The writing's great and combat is fun, but both would be better if they came in shorter sessions or moved less slowly.

I finished Act 1, spent what seemed like forever walking around a large city and talking to everyone, got bored, hired some prostitutes (you get Survival and Resolve bonuses for hiring the extremely well endowed male...), left without doing the main story, went to Dyrford Village, and finished all the quests there probably a bit undergeared and underleveled. Came close to dying to a bunch of spiders, expected to die at an ogre, but thankfully the ogre was nice and I didn't have to fight him. He would have destroyed me.
    edited July 2017
    More Dark Rose Valkyrie for me. I'm still having an alright time with the game, and that kinda physically pains me to say about something these developers produced. I've come across several strange wrinkles though. For starters, I went to go fight a boss at the beginning of Chapter 5 after the team recovers from a big battle. The boss was a giant Octopus-like creature, and somehow I ended up 1-shotting the thing with Coo and Asahi's Cooperation Art. Upon battle completion I was then given 11-15 levels out of nowhere for everyone on the team, boosting my allies' levels up to the mid 40s and now the experience I get from normal battles everywhere else is so out of balance with what I need that there is zero reason to fight normal encounters for awhile.

Then later on I was tasked with the second "Interrogation" segment which proved to be a frustrating ordeal because I wanted to succeed and get it right just to see what would happen. Plus these just seem very rare. It turns out that not only do they gave you a different topic upon reloading, but wow was I ever unlucky here. After finally asking 19 out of 20 possible questions in the interview I was convinced the whole team was telling the truth and no suitable candidate could be found. Then that 20th question revealed the lying statement to me. Its just cruel and unusual that you cannot actually figure anything out unless you get lucky and randomly pick both the 1/20 lying statement AND a statement or two relating to the lie that allows you to spot the contradiction. So yeah, I don't like this system at all, it just might be the worst thing about the entire game even though it looks and sounds really cool as a concept.
    Got to a major plot point in The Alliance Alive, and now have the entire cast in my party as well as a boat to go around in. So I spent the next two hours of game time just seeing what I could find in nooks and crannies of the map instead of going to the next expected destination. The challenge level is... a bit higher than I should be trying for at the moment, but I've learned a ton of new tricks. My lead guy has most of the shield techniques at this point, I think.
    Been playing Criminal Girls 2, and although the premise is still similar to the first (although no animel themed girls this time) it's a much more in depth character team then the first. Also they changed a few systems and THANK GOD you don't have to use the back touch pad onthe vita.
    sig.gif

• LordGolbezLordGolbez Member Full Members
    Horizon Zero Dawn. Pretty good.
    The Tea and Biscuits Brigade offers you tea and biscuits.
  • Mike MoehnkeMike Moehnke Code: Kirin Administrators
    Valkyria Revolution is a weird thing. Combat is kind of fun, but unless I make a point to fiddle around with free missions the cut scenes dwarf it in game time. That means I have to focus on someone who makes for the least engaged Grim Reaper I've ever heard, a woman who seems to have breasts the size of her head and only wears a jacket (her back must be in awful shape), a lot of pontificating that doesn't get the job of filling in the world adequately done but does take up a lot of time, and some hijinks that really don't work.
    Oh, and now that I look at the in-game glossary, I see that the nation of Jutland supposedly has 800,000 people and decided to invade the Ruz empire with 69,000,000. I don't care if you've got Rommel, Lee, Napoleon and Scipio on your team, that's not a numerical imbalance which can be survived.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.
  • riulynriulyn Member Full Members
    Just started up Mana Khemia: Student Alliance. Using my Vita to play the game and it looks terrible on a Vita screen. Or maybe the game was always so muddy in terms of graphics. Otherwise the game seems good so far.
  • Mike MoehnkeMike Moehnke Code: Kirin Administrators
    Never having played Sonic the Hedgehog on Game Gear before, I kind of liked the unique aspects to its areas. I didn't like some other things, such as a ridiculous programming glitch that lacks a third digit when collecting rings that reverts to 0 when Sonic gets 100 of them. Or the irritating fact that, when hit, Sonic instantly loses all rings and can't collect them again. Also the bizarre decision to make extra lives not reappear if you get killed in a stage. Including the programming error of not being able to see the score except when a stage ends - sure it only matters for getting extra lives, but I like to see the score if it's there, dagnabit.
    Back to Valkyria Revolutions to see if the least-intimidating Grim Reaper I've ever seen becomes something interesting.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.
    edited July 2017
    I didn't want to start a new game I might not finish before my upcoming FF14 sub, so I've been playing Overwatch for the last couple of weeks. I'm not sure this game is worth it, at least in competitive matches. The community has enough toxic people and throwers that easily a third of my 200+ matches had at least one in the game, whether or not it was on my team. The broken rating system means I'm stuck in high bronze where there are a lot of terrible people and a lot way above my skill, which defeats of the purpose of having a rating. Trying to team up with better players means you only face other teams which usually also have better players, upping the challenge even at the same rating. People regularly talk of having multiple accounts, and I teamed up with a smurf for a while in an attempt to break into silver, leading to one of my longest winning streaks. And in almost every match, my team won't go 2-2-2 and I end up healing or playing Orisa, which I can enjoy, but not every single match, and it's annoying to heal a bad team that won't adjust.

I'm not really sure what Blizzard is going for here. The reporting system is known to do nothing. They have my money and I won't buy loot crates. When the game clicks it's a blast, even in a close loss, but most of my games were soul draining. There are obvious solutions to this that Blizzard isn't interested in doing.
    I think it is more that it takes time to really implement anything. I've been playing a lot of Overwatch recently too and honestly I have seen where people are getting banned from the game for their attitude, at least on PC. Not sure which system you're playing it on
    sig.gif

edited July 2017
    PC. In the last couple weeks I saw 6 or more diamond players who had lost over 1500 SR and were in bronze, all throwing matches to lower their ranking more. I can't imagine people throwing that many matches, getting reported (I reported all of them regardless of whether they were on my team or not), and still playing and throwing matches if Blizzard cared to stop such things.

And that's just the small handful of diamonds. There were a whole lot more people throwing than that. Symmetra teleporters at the edge of cliffs, Mei ice walls on her own team. I once had a group of 4 on my team who all went healers then spawn-camped the opposing base while bragging in match chat that they were losing on purpose. These things are not hard to detect and stop.

On the less objective side, of the three times this year I've spent a while playing Overwatch, this has been the most unbalanced skillwise in competitive, and the most I've seen 4 people lock DPS characters and refuse to change to a team capable of winning. That's what Quick Play is for. The community is mostly horrible gamers/people, and I want to play the game in a group of 12 people who know the game and are all trying to win. I don't think that's unfair to expect, and the rating system isn't working.