The RPGamer Forums will be closing on May 2, 2021.

What are you playing today?

Comments

• Slayer of GodSlayer of God Member Full Members
    edited January 2006
    Dragon Quest VIII - Completed the events in Arcadia
    Within the spreading darkness, I pledged a vow to the revolution.
  • PoliverPoliver New Member Full Members
    edited January 2006
    Brightis ?smile10.png By the way, somebody has a walkthrough for this? i'm stuck ?smile5.png

• DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited January 2006
    Ogre Battle.

Like 21 levels in.

Dracos
  • PoliverPoliver New Member Full Members
    edited January 2006
    Well actually i'm playing 3 games now. Brightis, Zelda: Ocarina Of Time and Alundra. ? smile4.png

Still looking for that Brightis Walkthrough though ?smile2.png

• SpukySpuky Member Full Members
    edited January 2006
    im just finished Wild Arms, and right now im playing Lunar: SSSC in psx, also playing Fire Emblem The Sacred Stones in my DS, mission 16 right now

also, a friend went to USA this weekend and got me FFIV Advance and Riviera, i cant wait to play those!
  • ShykidShykid Member Full Members
    edited January 2006
    Star Ocean: Till the End of Time.

There is no spoon.
  • guns an bladesguns an blades Member Full Members
    edited January 2006
    Soul Caliber III
  • SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited January 2006
    u.

Playing MM Battle Network.
    Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
  • OmbresOmbres Games horder Full Members
    edited January 2006
    Romancing Saga

Just starting it, playing about 7 hours in it, and it great fun, like always, the saga series is very hard, when you finally manage to get the upper hand on the mobs you are fighting, new one come and crush you like you were nothing.. arrrgggg!! I love it smile4.png . Well maybe I do see the game over screen a lot, but it is IMO a lot more fun to be able to win when the odd is again you!
    Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
    sig.gif
  • FalorFalor Member Full Members
    edited January 2006
    Started Fire Emblem:Path of Radiance the other day. I'm consuming it like a bad drug, havent had so much fun in a long time.
  • PlugPlug Member Full Members
    edited January 2006
    I pulled Final Fantasy Tactics out of the woodwork on New Years Eve. So far I'm just building my guys to obscene job levels at the beginning, which is what I end up doing every time for some reason. I mean, I had my Time Mage with Meteor before the first Sweegy Woods battle. She couldn't even cast it yet due to lack of magic points. I'd mastered Thief, too. I always end up getting everyone with Accumulate and then wipe out all the enemies on screen sans one, break its speed, then get everyone to just Accumulate over and over until their jobs are mastered. Repetitive, but once it gets going it's pretty quick. Sucks the challenge of the game right out, too. :p
  • RainaRaina Member Full Members
    edited January 2006
    Just started Dragon Quest VIII. Yay for hero goodnes! ^_^
  • RIPtoadRIPtoad Member Full Members
    edited January 2006
    After far too much Dragon Quest VIII, I've moved on to Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits. About 4 hours in thus far, enjoying the story and characters immensely (even if some of the character designs leave something to be desired).

The battle system seemed somewhat alien at first, but I think I have a pretty good handle on it now. Somewhat convoluted getting to the actual fighting, but really involving enough to be fun. No sleepwalking through battles here.

I like the different perspectives for the telling of the story. This one looks like it's going to be quite fun.
  • KratosKratos New Member Full Members
    edited January 2006
    FFV: Just got the chicken knife after escaping from many battles, making it the most powerful weapon.
  • Your Inner ChildYour Inner Child Member Full Members
    edited January 2006
    Wow, I have so much ahead of me to play.

I recently beat Disgaea and Growlanser II, and played Shadow Hearts to the final boss. I'm currently playing Phantom Brave, but after that I still need to play Dragon Quest VIII and La Pucelle, AND I recently purchased Persona 2: Eternal Punishment and Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne.

Looks like I have a lot of gaming ahead of me, and I'm REALLY looking forward to playing all of the games ahead of me, especially the Megaten games. It's a shame I can't handle steadily playing two RPGs at once, because when I do that I tend to stop playing the other one completely.
  • guns an bladesguns an blades Member Full Members
    edited January 2006
    Soul Caliber III(again). Tring to unlock everything.
  • MeoTwister5MeoTwister5 Member Full Members
    edited January 2006
    RFOnline and Magna Carta.

If Magna Carta didn't have a good story with large breasts I swear I'd fall asleep mid-battle.
  • VigivalgusVigivalgus Member Full Members
    edited January 2006
    Megaman Collection for the GCN. I don't know how many hours I've played, and I haven't even beat a single one of the eight games all the way through. It's harder than I thought it would be--especially the older games.

Oh, and I'm trying to play through FF Crystal Chronicles. There's zero plot and very little good gameplay, and without a GBA and three friends with GBAs (and cords) I'm finding it hard to justify my continued playing.

Shadow of the Colossus. Apply this game liberally to your face and erogenous zones.
    edited January 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(RIPtoad @ Jan. 05 2006,14:44)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"After far too much Dragon Quest VIII, I've moved on to Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits. About 4 hours in thus far, enjoying the story and characters immensely (even if some of the character designs leave something to be desired).

The battle system seemed somewhat alien at first, but I think I have a pretty good handle on it now. Somewhat convoluted getting to the actual fighting, but really involving enough to be fun. No sleepwalking through battles here.

I like the different perspectives for the telling of the story. This one looks like it's going to be quite fun.[/QUOTE]
    *tosses a coin to a priest to pray for ye~*

Maybe you'll be more forgivin' of that than I was. I'm semi-convinced that what they managed in 2 was a fluke at this point.

Dracos
    plays the setup a new comp game still.
  • SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited January 2006
    Finished off Sacred Stones today, dunno what I'll play now. I might replay Zero 3 again.

Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
  • RainaRaina Member Full Members
    edited January 2006
    Dragon Quest VIII exploring exploring and Killer 7 which is interesting. ^_^
  • SorenLovesIkeSorenLovesIke Member Full Members
    edited January 2006
    I'm playing Legend of Heroes. It's actually not as bad as I thought it would be. It's kind of like a easy-difficulty Lunar with massive amounts of typos.
    edited January 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Dracos @ Jan. 07 2006,09:21)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(RIPtoad @ Jan. 05 2006,14:44)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"After far too much Dragon Quest VIII, I've moved on to Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits. About 4 hours in thus far, enjoying the story and characters immensely (even if some of the character designs leave something to be desired).

I like the different perspectives for the telling of the story. This one looks like it's going to be quite fun.[/QUOTE]
    *tosses a coin to a priest to pray for ye~*

Maybe you'll be more forgivin' of that than I was. ?I'm semi-convinced that what they managed in 2 was a fluke at this point.

Dracos
    plays the setup a new comp game still.[/QUOTE]
    Well, I'm not quite 100% sure what you are referring to by "that" (the dual story-telling perspectives?), but at 20+ hours in, I'm digging the story and the characters being introduced (especially on Darc's side), and they actually developed the NPC's in Orcoth well enough that I was upset with the aftermath of the human incursion.

One of the weakest parts of this game is the overblown gesticulation of everyone with their arms as they speak, no matter what they are saying. That's truly poorly done and detracts some from the presentation, but it's a minor gripe. Keeping up the spirit stone supply is a pain in the patootie, but the battles remain strategic and the story is playing out in a well-written fashion. Playing Hide the Lilia is fun!

So far, the package is working pretty well for me. smile17.png
    edited January 2006
    That being AtL: Twilight of Spirits.

The obsession the designers had with keeping them both 'separate' and hating each other drove me mad by the end of the game. If you're just past the beginning of Orcoth, you'll see it soon enough. They didn't start poorly, but they sure as hell ended such.

Edit: To be more clear, there's a rather bad habit that the game has where villians will, on the spur of defeat, promptly reveal that it was the 'beastsmen/humans' that were responsible for all their woes in life. Even blatantly evil and/or ambitious individuals will proceed to explain away their plots for power, destruction, and control of country/world/city was in fact just a response to 'beastman/human' aggression. Piggybacking on this is a hatred between the two main characters that they go to extreme lengths to keep up despite repeated contradictions to the whole thing.

Anyhow, I'm playing the setup a new computer game. Then maybe Deus Ex or Civ 4 will get flung on here as a break the thing in game. X_X

Dracos
    Hour after hour, setup is never over...

• SupraDarkySupraDarky Member Full Members
    edited January 2006
    I much enjoyed AtL:ToS. =) I thought the story was pretty good actually. Simple and enjoyable RPG overall. I loved the musics too.
    edited January 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(SupraDarky @ Jan. 07 2006,18:07)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"I much enjoyed AtL:ToS. =) I thought the story was pretty good actually. Simple and enjoyable RPG overall. I loved the musics too.[/QUOTE]
    Ah, yes! The music is something of exceptional note. I'm quite surprised by it, really--it's actually quite excellent!

As for the tensions between the races--well, they keep on killing each other's friends and families (I just now realized who the Rapier fellow Darc offed actually is), so I would say it's understandable why they become and remain antagonistic towards each other regardless of anything else that might transpire. (Personally, I'd find it tough to forgive the death of a loved one...)

Still, I haven't had Darc and Kharg meet yet, so I've yet to see how all that plays out. I did think that Darc was being a little inconsistent with his quest for power and his sometimes soft heart, but I don't necessarily hold video game creators to the same standards as a good novelist. So far, it seems an intricate and interesting enough story. And, as I said (kind of), if you can get me involved enough with an NPC that I would care what happened to them, you have to be doing something right. smile1.png

BTW, Dracos, it took me a couple readthroughs--the Setup a New Computer game! Ah, that used to be such fun. I don't envy you, depending on what you're having to do. Upgrading? I eventually make everything so customized, an out-of-the-box rig looks like it's from Mars. So, good luck with that! You have my sympathies. smile17.png
    edited January 2006
    I'm playing with a Dell rig. I remember they used to be rather nice. If you handed me a machine like this four years ago, I would've been pulling my hair out from all the crap they had on it. Beautiful hardware, but just totally misconfigured. I'd say they had to put spyware or viruses on it to make it more misconfigured...but then it had spyware on it out of the box.

Dracos
    "Such an education in how to totally mangle a powerful machine..."
  • MeoTwister5MeoTwister5 Member Full Members
    edited January 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Vigivalgus @ Jan. 06 2006,23:32)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"Shadow of the Colossus. Apply this game liberally to your face and erogenous zones.[/QUOTE]
    Verily, I say unto you, a wise act indeed.
  • SorenLovesIkeSorenLovesIke Member Full Members
    edited January 2006
    I liked AtL: Twilight of Spirits as well. The Darc parts are much better than the Kharg parts, IMO. The race relations were a little overblown, but I've seen worse.

Like Magna Carta, for instance.

I'm getting tired of the same recycled plots. There's always a race issue in games (if not a race issue, then a religion issue), and they're always going to gather elemental thingies. Water Shard. Lightning Orb. Fire Magnus. You know? It gets old.

It's the same way with movies. Nobody can come up with anything original anymore. smile2.png
  • Slayer of GodSlayer of God Member Full Members
    edited January 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(SorenLovesIke @ Jan. 08 2006,01:11)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"I'm getting tired of the same recycled plots. There's always a race issue in games (if not a race issue, then a religion issue), and they're always going to gather elemental thingies. Water Shard. Lightning Orb. Fire Magnus. You know? It gets old.

It's the same way with movies. Nobody can come up with anything original anymore. smile2.png[/QUOTE]
    To quote the quite brilliant Dini, from an eds thread awhile back:

<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"There's so much of an insistence by RPGamers of what an RPG is and what isn't (that is to say, Final Fantasy VI) that if an RPG comes around that doesn't go through every familiar motion, it's automatically discarded as a "failed experiment". That, regardless of whatever the developer had in mind, all RPGs have to always include plot twists and badass protagonists and a monetary system and (oh God) a World Map makes me ashamed to call myself a fan of RPGs. Even if they're the most bare bones of mechanics, so long as they exist, the game will find a good amount of praise.

It's embarrassing. We live in the era of Physics Engines and Sandbox gameplay, and yet we're still clinging to games eight or ten or more years old, declaring them as the greatest RPGs ever made. We never disown a game for legitimate problems, but for what it doesn't have that Chrono Trigger had. People don't hate Final Fantasy X-2 because it's needlessly open-ended or poorly balanced, they hate it because it's too much like Charlie's Angels and because it uses Pop Music. In a review I read for Lord of the Rings: The Third Age, the author didn't hate the game for it's derivative gameplay or its weak story, but because it didn't have towns or money.

And, you know, developers listen. That's why they keep trying to emulate Final Fantasy VII. They didn't just glance over at what the Final Fantasy did and jump to any old conclusion; they listened to what the fans had to say, and the games they made reflected this.[/QUOTE]

Anyway, the final boss has made himself known in my game of DQVIII, so I'll be taking him on in short order.
    Within the spreading darkness, I pledged a vow to the revolution.