If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

What are you playing today?

Comments

• Michael BakerMichael Baker RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    I finally bit the bullet and just let everyone level past the par point for the next few Brave challenges in Summon Night. Since EXP is in a shared pool that can be apportioned (or not) at the end of each battle, I had a huge amount saved up already.

Now I'm four chapters past that point, and a different realization is settling in. Summons are accessible based on what accessories are equipped in battle, with the five flavors of Summonite giving different results based on the accessory. But, the available accessories in the shops change over time to match the current equipment stage, so I have no idea what I may have locked myself out of getting at this point.

It doesn't help that there is no reference in-game for what is available from each accessory, even after you've successfully accessed it. I've wasted so much Summonite trying to get the thing I wanted to show up >_<
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited October 2017
    Played my usual 5 hour marathon of Splatoon 2 during the Splatfest. For not having played the game in 3 weeks, we ended up doing a lot better than I expected. My friend and I picked up a random duo from a Discord server and went at it for Team Vampire. All told it was a pretty good night, I peaked at around 2200 and maxed everyone's ranking, which is about what I usually got when playing the game was a daily affair. We got to the point where we were being matched very often against 4 players with a matching clan tag, and most of the games were really close since our team composition was surprisingly well balanced for a PUG. This was probably my least favorite Shifty Station they've released so far though, the bottlenecked points of entry and small map size just made for a crappy combination of camping and hoping for a lucky all-in push at the end. Still though most of the games were quite enjoyable and it was a good reminder that Splatoon is still super fun.

Also played a little Ys 8. I've been struggling whether I should dive into it or not, because of the localization update and the fact that Etrian Odyssey 5 is out this Tuesday. Most likely scenario is I'll end up putting it down at some point and wont finish for awhile. Its a shame, but I just need something to relax with in the interim and Ys 8 does fit that bill. Anyways, Im hardly far at all, only at a small dungeon in Chapter 2. Right now I'm just not feeling it as much as Ys Seven or Celceta, and I think that has to do with the setting and localization of those games being more likable and charming than 8 has been to this point. The idea of base building looks intriguing, but I'm only at the cusp right now. The battle system is fun, with Flash Guard being especially cool this time around, but again it just hasn't made me say wow like Seven or Celceta yet. Im confident it'll get there though once you're given a greater variety of characters, skills, and enemies to go up against.
    edited October 2017
    Put down Summon Night for now, because the difficulty curve is getting steep.

Currently trying Blazer Drive, a Sega title made as a multi-media project with a manga publisher (said project failed, BTW). Jury is still out on the game.
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    I was having so much fun with Overwatch and so little fun with Cosmic Star Heroine that I kept playing the former since my last post. It's the total opposite of the last competitive season. Blizzard must have fixed its ranking system. After failing to break out of bronze last time, I touched gold last week just before EO5 arrived and I'm currently 105-76-6. I'd like to get more of the Halloween loot, but I'll probably do more quick play than competitive moving forward just because I'm a bit tired of my competitive mains, and I insta-lock Mei in quick play and have a blast.

Though now I'm mostly playing Etrian Odyssey V. I forgot how peaceful this series is for me. I'm usually a mildly irritated, high pulse rate gamer, but this one's been so chill and relaxing. I'm on the 9th floor, still using my original five party members. Overall, I don't like the class changes as much in this one. The harbinger and necromancer are great, versatile classes, but the others I checked out are straightforward, and the simplified skill tree further limits the extent to which I feel like I'm customizing things and using strategy to win. EO3 has my favorite class system in the series.

That aside, the labyrinth has been fun to explore. It hasn't felt like a chore yet, and I've eagerly searched out every nook and cranny of every floor so far. Some other tweaks mean I'm playing EO5 without a pure healer in my party for the first time in an EO game, which is an interesting change of pace. I'm glad I'm enjoying it, considering it could be the last new entry in the series. At least, the last one with dual screens.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
    edited October 2017
    Been playing Etrian Odyssey 5 as well. Its been so long since the last mainline Etrian Odyssey that I agree with you 7th, finally getting another well designed dungeon crawler is very refreshing. The game has hit a lot of high notes for me. For example, the ability to customize portraits in various ways is something I've wanted since the first game, and the first 3 Stratums are pretty appealing visually compared to the respective 2nd and 3rds of the series. I especially like the 3rd which I just got to, the music, atmosphere, and puzzle opportunities are great. I'm also happy with the adjustments to the pet system, which no longer requires empty party slots and allows you to keep them outside of combat. Quality of life improvements like only costing 2 levels to respec, and 5 for class change, on top of more map icons and other tidbits that are hard to think off hand go a long way in making the game very fun to play at any pace.

I'm with you though, in that this game doesn't hit all the highs that 3 and 4 do. No world map is kind of a bummer, and the inability to to cross class is more limiting compared to those games. However, I do think the Racial Skills, Unions, and Legendary Title system add enough to keep the game enjoyable, and you'll be getting those titles shortly. My first Fencer is infinitely more useful now, with more ways to lower enemy accuracy, dodge, and unequipping gear to further raise evade. Even certain weapons have skills/stats that are unlocked by forging them which helps to keeping me feel satisfied.
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited October 2017
    I have been playing Eternal Oasis, a cross between a simulation game an action RPG, and enjoying it.

I also tried Culdcept Revolution, a cross between Monopoly and CCG, and enjoyed that too. Anyone know if there's a real board game version of Culdcept?

I got Endless Legend from a Humble Bundle recently, played through the tutorial, and that looked interesting too. A 4X type game like Civilization with a fantasy theme.
    edited October 2017
    Lots more Etrian Odyssey 5 over here.

There's a couple things that have been bugging me, so I'll get into them here. First and foremost have been the first 3 major boss fights thus far. The 2nd and 3rd Stratum boss fights were both very easy for me, whether that be due to luck or the AI making silly mistakes, they have been a huge let down compared to the first boss of this game and the other bosses throughout the series. I'm willing to admit I probably got lucky with the second boss. I used a union skill called Hex just because it was something available, and fortunately (unfortunately?) the boss got Petrified, a status I dont think it was weak to, and proceeded to spend the next 3 turns struggling to get out. With the third boss, the AI made some critical errors that basically resulted in the boss not doing much of anything for 1 or 2 turns, which is a headscratcher. To top it off I just didn't like how this boss looked either, it didn't really seem to fit in all the way with the excellent atmosphere of the 3rd Stratum and I came away with kind of a disconnect there, even though the story bits were amping it up.

Additionally, my party cohesion was gnawing at the back of my head and functioning in a manner that was effective but at the same time not fun. The Dodge Fencer I mentioned above is basically the culprit. They have a skill to remove gear to increase evade, which works wonderfully when it works, but also results in an instant death when it does not. Coupled with my 4 Swords Masurao, this party would eventually come across a random encounter where one of the two got nuked, and since I do not have any real effective means of reviving other than Nectar/Union, it just didnt feel very consistent. Because when I did dodge during bosses/encounters they were an absolute joke, which just wasn't fun either. So after much agonizing I finally came to the decision to reclass the Dodge Fencer, the class I was most excited about going into the game, into a Pugilist. Those fist fighter classes, as some of you may know, just aren't my cup of tea. But now that I've changed and played more, I'm much happier with my team. The added dimensions of methods to inflict binds, a strong DPS buff, better normal encounter attacks, and just having 2 party members that can take a hit in the front row makes all the difference in the world.

Overall, I'm still having a ton of fun even with the little dip. Its interesting, I don't like the 4th Stratum too much aesthetically, but I do appreciate the music and added complexity to the floors. With my revamped team that I probably should have started the game with, everything is looking up and my foray into the 4th is quite engaging thus far.
    I've been messing around with post-game stuff in Knights of Pen and Paper 2. Already had the Ori-Gami material finished by the time I beat the main game, but there was quite a bit left over to do. I powered through the marathon dungeon crawl, only to end up in a very surprising place... with a level 43 marker (my entire part is level 33 right now). Up to the north, I went through all sorts of insanity (including a mock-up of the Tomb of Horrors) to find the name of the Unpronounceable Horror, but I've yet to be able to beat the darn thing. And to the south, my attempts to get past the great Pay Wall and into the neighboring land of Expandia have hit a paywall. I'm adding it to my Steam wishlist.

Until then, I'll look for another game to enjoy.
    edited October 2017
    I cleared the 3rd stratum of Etrian Odyssey V tonight while watching football.

Like ChickenGod, I too dropped my Fencer for a Pugilist, though I did it around the 14th floor when I realized its master skills just weren't working well. I originally left a Pugilist as the odd man out because I didn't like that his high damage skills cost HP, but it ends up the master skills add a massive damage boost to the class without costing HP or even much TP. Plus binds are useful and I don't have anyone else who can inflict them.

The labyrinth exploration is still the highlight of the game for me. The 3rd stratum has a great aesthetic that's carried well into the layout and FOE behavior, and there are pros and cons to exploring during day or night, which changes things up when the sun rises midway through a trek.

After swapping in a Pugilist and leveling him up a bit, I was able to beat all the FOEs in the 3rd stratum before hitting the boss, and the boss was easy. I'm playing on basic difficulty because I like having a redo if I die, but I wish there was an option to play on advanced with the redo. Like how Fire Emblem separates character permadeath from the enemy strength in its difficulty options. I'm also torn on how legendary titles are implemented. It was fun picking them based on vague gameplay descriptions, but a couple didn't quite turn out how I'd expected, and I'd like to be able to check out others without reloading after swapping classes around or looking online.

After playing an Untold, I wish EO5 either had a real plot, or none at all. I'm uninterested in the brief story nuggets and know they aren't going to amount to anything until some big reveal toward the end of the game. That's just not a storytelling method that works for me.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    Been playing .hack//GU Last Recode since Thursday night. I'm around the halfway point of Volume 1, and I'm reminded why I love this part of the series...and also why I dread certain things about it. You have to make sure you save often, because if you encounter a Chaotic PK in an area, it's possible for you to lose right there. Luckily they've added a retry function that lets you try to complete a fight while lowering the difficulty of it. The pacing sadly for Volume 1 is still all over the place too, but I never expected them to change anything storywise.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    edited November 2017
    Hate double posting, but it's been a few days.

Did a 100% completion for Vol 1 in .hack//GU Last Recode, and am currently working on Vol 2. I forgot how much of a quality jump there is between Vol 1 and Vol 2 in terms of pacing, QoL changes, areas, and characterization. Also, Crimson Vs is addictive as hell.

EDIT: Managed to reach the end of the tournament, currently have the entire party at level 100. Working on getting the last Card I need for Crimson Vs that you can find ingame using the Competing keyword, though no luck after 15 attempts to get it.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    edited November 2017
    My plan was to borrow South Park: The Fractured but Whole from my brother and start and finish it while I was off work this week, but I forgot to pick it up a week ago and didn't get it from him until late Sunday evening. I'd been warned that it started slow, and it did, but once the story sequences got rolling it's been a blast. It's all about the setting and writing; I'm not a fan of this style of RPG combat and this is doing nothing to change my mind. The battle taunts alone crack me up, but I loved seeing a character who was only in a couple episodes of a recent season return with a larger role. The line "We need to get to Classi before the stripper horde overwhelms us!" about killed me. I finished that, finished the Professor Chaos sequence, and am headed to the police station for the next sequence.

More than the last South Park game, I feel like only fans of the show would appreciate this one. It feels like there are a lot more references to the TV show without context or explanation than the last one had. Which is fine with me, but an observation nonetheless.
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2017
    7thCircle wrote: »
    My plan was to borrow South Park: The Fractured but Whole from my brother and start and finish it while I was off work this week, but I forgot to pick it up a week ago and didn't get it from him until late Sunday evening. I'd been warned that it started slow, and it did, but once the story sequences got rolling it's been a blast. It's all about the setting and writing; I'm not a fan of this style of RPG combat and this is doing nothing to change my mind. The battle taunts alone crack me up, but I loved seeing a character who was only in a couple episodes of a recent season return with a larger role. The line "We need to get to Classi before the stripper horde overwhelms us!" about killed me. I finished that, finished the Professor Chaos sequence, and am headed to the police station for the next sequence.

More than the last South Park game, I feel like only fans of the show would appreciate this one. It feels like there are a lot more references to the TV show without context or explanation than the last one had. Which is fine with me, but an observation nonetheless.

It's not Classi, it's "Classi with an I and a d*** hanging off the C that's f***ing the L out of the A-S-S"
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
  • EvilorEvilor Totally Not the Secret Antagonist A secret alcove in the hero's baseFull Members
    I'm currently playing through Avernum HD! For my second playthrough, I'm using a raiding party of roustabouts to sack and pillage every single human settlement! It brings great joy to my tortured soul to see the pain and suffering of the Avernites left in my wake of destruction and mayhem!
    Fufufufufu,
    -Evilor
    Friend let me borrow Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen on the PS4, and dear god I'm hooked on this. Gameplay is challenging, the music is absolutely beautiful, running across the world feels like it's actually to scale, and the amount of character customization is insane. I'm level 28, as a Magick Archer at rank 8, just exploring the world and doing sidequests before I have to enter some place underneath Gran Soren.
    I've been working on NaNoWriMo, though between work, weather, health, and toddler it's increasingly unlikely I'll do better than half the target word count this time around.

On commutes and other free moments of relaxation, I've also been playing Blazer Drive, which isn't half bad as a game even if its plot has more holes than a block of swiss cheese.
  • Mike MoehnkeMike Moehnke Code: Kirin Administrators
    What the heck am I playing? Bronchitis hasn't made me eager to play much of anything in the past couple of days, but even the sick can't sleep all the time.
    I did manage to finish the Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga remake. I'll have a review of it up for the site pretty soon.
    Also played through Lunar: Silver Star Harmony. I have very mixed feelings about it that will probably be encapsulated in another review to go up soon.

Oh yes, and a couple of weeks ago I got to have some free play time with a few arcade cabinets. Golden Axe and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were fun. Rampage was also kind of fun, though I didn't know what I was doing. Terminator 2: The Arcade Game was more monotonous than I remembered. I probably wanted to try salvaging something from all the quarters I spent on it years ago, but it's not very good because it's kind of boring.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    Culdcept Revolt - 3DS
    Borrows a lot from Monopoly:
    1) At some point during your turn you must roll dice (two of them, natch) and move according to the number rolled
    2A) Landing on empty territory gives you the option to "buy it"
    2B) Landing on your territory incurs no toll
    2C) Landing on enemy territory necessitates paying a toll
    3) Making a lap around the board nets you money when you pass "Go"

That's where the similarities end.

Instead of bankrupting your opponent, which is pretty tough to do, you need to achieve a certain amount of net worth to win the game. There are partner battles of two teams of two; in this case you and your partner's net worth are added to determine victory.

So, it is a card game and you have a deck of 50 cards, each of which is a monster card, a spell card or an item card. You draw one card at the start of each of your turns.

Spell cards have various effects and are played before you roll the dice each turn.

When you land on empty territory, you claim it by revealing a monster card from your hand, paying the listed cost in "mana", which is really just money, and placing the card on the board.

Here's the kicker: If you land on enemy territory, you can try to claim it by revealing a monster from your hand and paying the cost (Monopoly could use some of this). If you do, a battle starts. The goal is to reduce the enemy monster's HP to 0, and there's a complex resolution order that makes it rather tricky to pull off. You can choose one item card per battle to boost your monster's strength. Most of the items increase your monster's offensive or defensive strength, but there are oddball ones too. Each of the monsters of course have their own special abilities.

Instead of playing a monster on your turn, you can instead exchange a monster on the board with one on your hand by paying its cost, level up your territory by paying money, which increases its defensive strength, the toll collected, and the amount the territory is worth, or you can order a monster to move to an adjacent territory (this can start a battle).

It's actually a very complex game. My strategy for most of the game was to put two copies of "Holy Word 1" (target player's next dice roll is guaranteed to be "1") in my deck and wait for an opportunity to use it, then use the spell and level up the territory the opponent is about to land on. This worked basically throughout the game. There are definitely counters to this strategy and the AI knows most of them. But it's obvious there are different strategies to try.

You get new cards via lootbox, but there is no option to pay money for them. You earn the currency needed for their purchase by playing the game. As well there are many powerful cards in the common slot including the aforementioned "Holy Word 1."

The story is nothing to write home about. It's actually kind of silly.
    edited December 2017
    Saw I am Setsuna on sale for the Switch, so I picked that up and put some hours into it as an in between for Xenoblade. Right off the bat I can kind of tell why this game isn't liked by that many people, but I can see some charm here in its simpler battle system and somber, melancholic tone and atmosphere. Its just hard to live up to the Chrono Trigger style, and the fast paced nature of the story doesn't hit the same notes that the music and general atmosphere of the world are trying to paint. Not long ago I picked up Julienne, so I've switched to having a team of her, Aeterna, and Setsuna which has been fairly effective thus far. Its an easy to play game that kinda lacks substance, but its been alright thus far.

And of course, I've started on Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and hit the ground running, having just finished Chapter 2. Right now I have a positive impression of the game, but its not taking my breath away compared to other titles this year. There are some strange scenes and things that are logically odd, such as the sequence with the crab or wondering why on earth a game thats known for sprawling landscapes is covered in a cloud sea with no land. Some of the anime comedy scenes feel very awkward too. However I am liking how this game is much more story and character driven than X was, even if I tend to prefer the more mature and serious tone that Xenoblade 1 gave us. I'm also enjoying how the areas are a bit smaller so far. They're still large enough to traverse but not so enormous that they become overwhelming or start to feel a little empty. Similarly, its nice that they've already given us a few dungeon-like areas, and that the camera isn't absolutely horrific in them like it was in X. The idea behind the blade system seems interesting but its also a little frustrating at the same time. Right now I'd prefer to actually play as Pyra rather than have her be an assistant, and generally speaking the character design of the playable ones introduced so far does little for me. At the end of Chapter 2 I rolled on my first Rare Blade core only to get jipped with a common, but fortunately I opened 3 more commons and was gifted Perceval. It seems kind of silly to me that you have to rely on random draws that are committed to a character before they are opened. Hopefully the item that allows you to swap these between characters isn't too rare, but the idea as a whole is very unappealing for those who want to experiment with many compositions. To leave things off on a good note, I am very impressed with the various menus and HUD XC2 offers. Its something small but does go a ways towards making the experience more pleasant.
  • riulynriulyn Member Full Members
    Almost done with Ulrica's route in Mana Khemia 2 but got distracted by Xenoblade 2. Have gotten myself turned around trying to find the next location in Chapter 3. It's not a Xenoblade game without me getting terribly confused by the map at multiple points, so I guess I was due.

Also I guess most people play Raze first before Ulrica but Raze looked super boring. I like things about Mana Khemia 2, but think Mana Khemia 1 overall was better for me. It had better humor and characters.
    Got The Last Remnant for Steam from my secret Santa this year. I'm past the intro section, with a limited party right now. Baby steps...
  • Mike MoehnkeMike Moehnke Code: Kirin Administrators
    I kind of need to hit the Star Tropics soon, but for now I seem to be playing Tales of Hearts R. Some of the time (much of the time, actually) I wish the characters would shut up and stop reinforcing that they have a couple of traits that MUST BE SEEN in every interaction. Hisui has some serious, and seriously unexplored, issues about incest that someone should investigate. Being THAT concerned about your sister is probably a serious condition.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.
    edited December 2017
    Xenoblade Chronicles 2 has kept me glued to my seat since buying the game. Spent a monumental amount of time with the game already. Strangely enough, while there's a laundry list of things I don't like, I still feel positively about the whole thing.

Right now I just started on Chapter 9 after spending many, many hours on side content. There's a real pacing problem between Chapter 7 and 8, due to how certain characters aren't present in the party while much of the optional content requires said characters to even activate. For instance, I pulled the Rare Blade Ursula and couldn't even initiate her extremely long and poorly designed Affinity Chart for quite a while. On top of that, the end of Chapter 8 causing permanent missables by
    Spoiler:
    removing Indol forever
    not only doesn't make sense, but also comes with no warning. On top of the fact that there is only a single save file. Thankfully I wasn't hurt too bad by this particular aspect like I have in the past.

Lots of what I've been doing has been traveling around the world looking for unique monsters for Zenobia's Affinity Chart, which has been pretty fun. Being able to go into these fights and manage your aggro, which party member to control, and creating long chains has been satisfying as you don't really get to experience the diversity of characters, customization options, and nuances until you're pretty far into the game. The AI is surprisingly fairly adequate at doing what its supposed so with Driver Combos and Blade Combos. The Healer role seems to be the one that it struggles with the most, but even then its just fine for the majority of the content. Balancing your aggro while using fast blade swaps, skill canceling, and keeping in mind elemental chains is good honest fun.

As for the story, I'm honestly not very invested in whats going on. Everything is so heavily predicated on whats happened in the past that I can't help but feel I'd rather be playing the story thats referenced rather than the one being told. I know I've felt this way with other games too, but none spring to mind immediately. That being said, each chapter does offer adequate entertainment by building events early and then having them reach a fever pitch with bosses and lots of action near the end.

What I've enjoyed most thus far is sharing my experience with other friends playing the game. As flawed as the Rare Blade system is, we've gone through different quest lines and have changed party member's roles over the course of the game. XC2 is so massive that, like Breath of the Wild, its cool talking about interesting locations or random nonsense that happens like knocking a boss monster off a cliff.
    I'd never played a cell phone game before, due to various reasons like quality issues and the unappealing microtransaction structure, but my brother insisted I'd like Clash Royale and he was right. Been playing it for hours every day for the last few weeks and it's a perfect little CCG / RTS hybrid. Similar to Path of Exile, I don't mind giving them money when I'm enjoying a game this much.

I've also failed to totally kick Overwatch out of my system and play it about an hour every day too. The 5 Mei v 1 Winston Christmas battles were cute while I was grinding arcade boxes. I was able to win as Winston once, which felt like a huge (and very satisfying) accomplishment given I don't play Winston. It just took a while of getting used to the odd tactical side of the 5v1 fight.

Unfortunately, this means Xenoblade Chronicles 2 hasn't fully hooked me yet. An issue could be that I'm mostly playing it handheld, and it looks a bit ugly on the small screen, but the real issues are the map/quest UI and the slow pace making it drag and I lose interest or fall asleep. This happens to me with slow JRPGs, so it's more a me thing than a XC2 thing. I'm in chapter 3 and just reached the 3rd town in the game.
    Just got Romancing SaGa 2 on Steam, and thus I'm reliving the experience of playing this game on a computer screen, if legally this time :)

So far I've only beaten the first boss encounter, the Watchmen, but I'll move on to the first battle with Kzinssie this evening.
  • hoktomasterhoktomaster Member Full Members
    Iv been playing yakuza kiwami after getting it on black friday iv got to chapter 7 iv got all the hp and attack upgardes, im liking it so far not as good as zero in terms of side stories and stuff although some times having to fight majima at times id rather not and fights on the street can happen more than id like, I dont know if anyone knows if this game was make before zero or after coz graphically it looks quite a bit worse mainly with texture popins mainly with peoples faces(altough im not sure if its not just a upressed version) I know its based on a game that came out over 10 years ago
    I also like how some of the characters are mentioned from the last game in some of the side stories, even though its weird when doing the toy car side stories as I didnt do them in zero, but I guess I can go back anytime to do em. Im also tempted to play the original after and yakuza 2, as yakuza kiwami 2 wont be out for atleast another year, before 6 comes out next year.
    Im also looking forward if their gonna localize that FotNS yakzua esk game
    I wouldn't even bother to Eat that coz your already dead

My Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/hoktoshinkenmaster
    My Livestream http://www.twitch.tv/hoktomaster
    edited December 2017
    OK, so there's only one scenario in Romancing SaGa 2 that carries real consequences if you mess it up... so guess what I did (not intentionally)...

edit: TPK count = 4
    edited December 2017
    The typical burnout of huge open world games hit me pretty hard with Xenoblade 2. After spending so many hours on side content I have very little left to do. But what remains are utterly monotonous tasks like getting Ursula 3000 more fans and finding random collectables for the few remaining quests that I have no clue where to find, or maxing out development levels by salvage spamming.

So instead of wasting a perfectly good Christmas season on that stuff, I went ahead and started on Tokyo Xanadu eX+. Right away I was surprised at just how "Trailsy" the game is with its style of storytelling and exploration. I absolutely adore the engine and stuff they came up with for Cold Steel, so I'm more than happy to play something that uses the same style. The simple but appealing character design here is refreshing, as I can't stand how much of the cast of XC2 looks. Knowing nothing about Tokyo Xanadu, I had figured this was going to mostly be an action game with story sequences, but I'm surprised to see that its actually extremely heavily story focused, sorta how Fate/Extella was earlier this year. Its probably for the best, as the dungeon design has been quite weak thus far into Chapter 3, and each dungeon is only 6-12 minutes long plus a boss fight. Which is nothing compared to how much story and town romping comes before. The bosses are actually quite a joy to fight on the hardest difficulty, though I'd argue they have just a little too much health, at least in the early going. All in all I'm having a good time with things, though I do wish the there was more action to balance out constantly exploring the city and talking to NPCs.
    edited December 2017
    Defeated Bokhohn, the second of the Seven Heroes in Romancing SaGa 2. Before that, I tried (and failed) twice to eliminate the Termite Queen of the Savannah, slightly out of order because I need access to Moleville (by defeating the Queen) in order to finish the mermaid quest.

TPK count: 7. IWO (Imperial Wipe-Out / LP death): 2

Updated!

Finally beat the Queen! Before that, I added the southern tundra region to the empire, then explored the Gelid Ruins (died at the boss, but that was expected) and delved ten levels into the Green Labyrinth of the Maze of Memory. I also went through party members like they were free tacos on a Tuesday. I gained four new battle formations and effectively tripled (or even quadrupled) the technique lists for everything but axes before it was all done.

TPK count: 11. IWO count: 2
    I took off work and played Final Fantasy XIV all last week for free thanks to the callback campaign. My life's become more social lately, so this wasn't a 16 hour every day sort of deal like usual, but even with less gaming time, with a day left I had this sense that there wasn't anything in the game I felt compelled to do. What drove me when I resubscribed for patch 3.3 and 3.5 was the relic quest, which I don't plan to do again. Without that, and without much left to level, it's sinking in that there's not enough added content in the game for me to rationalize resubbing two more times before the next expansion. I don't want to get bored with it, and I've finished about all the old content I'm interested in.

That said, I played Black Mage for the longest I ever have, and for the first time after hitting 60. I don't like it that much -- I find it more frustrating than fun -- and it's my hardest job to play solo out in the world. I kept it and Red Mage equally leveled and find Red Mage to be the easiest job I've used. I also do better solo with it than Black Mage. Probably I'm just bad at Black Mage.

The new 24 man raid is a blast. Relatively easy, but with enough unique mechanics and heavy hits to keep it fun. I played it as a Summoner because I wanted to roll need on caster gear and I'm still enjoying that job.

And speaking of the relic, I finished my 2nd anima one. It took 3-4 hours of grinding A1S, which went by quickly spaced over a few days.

I still think the Stormblood dungeons are great. I enjoyed playing the level 70 ones as Astrologian and the earlier ones to level my casters. I also added to my gil stash quite a bit even though the market for 4.0 stuff massively cooled off since last summer. There are always ways to make money, though.