If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

What are you playing today?

Comments

• Michael BakerMichael Baker RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Still plugging through Romancing SaGa 2, exploring the extra content a bit. I recruited the Ninja!

At this point I have made contact with two more Heroes (Rocbouquet and Dantarg), could probably meet Noel at this point, and have the starting pieces of the Subier scenario coming into play. I am also not really well prepared to take on any of these, but that hasn't stopped me from trying.

Also found out the hard way that dying against a boss in the Maze of Memory results in a Game Over instead of an Imperial reset. Ouch.

TPK count: 15. IWO count: still 2.
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    Been hooked on Tokyo Xanadu eX+ since starting it up. If nothing else, I'm pining uncontrollably to play another Trails game now. This reminder of how good the the Trails formula is for storytelling and world building even in a completely different setting is probably unhealthy for all the different games I still have to play from 2017. Anyway, I've just started on Chapter 6 and I'm having a great time with Tokyo Xanadu. The story has started to amp up significantly, and the dungeon design has gotten more fun to explore, especially the final one at the end of Chapter 5. The boss there was amazing too, it stood toe to toe with a high end, fast paced Ys Boss with enough mechanics to keep you guessing. I'm also a huge fan of the playstyle given to the most recent character,
    Spoiler:
    Mitsuki
    . The long range and barrier based combat is a great compliment to the Knuckle User's more fast paced multi hitting attacks. The only thing I'm a little frustrated with is that, as the game has improved over time as I've played, the translation has started to take a hit. Thankfully the issues are of the "easily mentally repairable", kind but the number of small grammatical errors, particularly the ones that misspell character's last names in the main story are disappointing to see in Falcom RPG. Overall though I'd probably rather have errors of this nature rather than something more wooden that doesn't fully convey the material, so its no big deal at all.

• maryadaviesmaryadavies She Shoots For The Stars Somewhere east of Atlanta, GAModerators
    edited December 2017
    Me, it's been mostly .hack//Infection and FFXIV lately. I hope to return that .hack game to Shadowcat by the end of next week; it's taken me longer than I wanted b/c of the holidays and things got nuts.

Have been enjoying .hack quite a bit though.
    93a24222217c9c20a686db8be4676a84.jpg
    My personal page
    New to the boards? Confused? Find the answers here.
  • TheDoomhammerTheDoomhammer Prod with the Prod Full Members
    The only thing I'm a little frustrated with is that, as the game has improved over time as I've played, the translation has started to take a hit. Thankfully the issues are of the "easily mentally repairable", kind but the number of small grammatical errors, particularly the ones that misspell character's last names in the main story are disappointing to see in Falcom RPG. Overall though I'd probably rather have errors of this nature rather than something more wooden that doesn't fully convey the material, so its no big deal at all.

Just reached chapter 7 myself, unfortunately the localization has continued to disintegrate. Still a fun game, I just wish I didn't have to see a quotation mark ever again.
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2018
    I spent a while at my brother's today to play Nine Parchments couch co-op. For a friendly-fire spellcasting game with goofy controls that caused us to blast each other regularly, I think we both enjoyed it. We stopped because he wanted to watch the bowl game... which leads to the game's one quirk: you can't resume progress after stopping. We'd have to restart at the beginning of the game, retaining our character levels and gear. We knew this going in. As my brother refuses to replay content, that means we're done with Nine Parchments unless the upcoming fix (which sounds less like a "fix" and more like the idiot devs genuinely didn't think players would want to exit and resume an 8-ish hour long game) retroactively lets you continue an exited campaign. Oh well. We made it maybe 2/3 of the way through.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
    I felt the need for something actually in English last summer, so I picked up Children of Mana (DS), somehow completely forgetting that I'd actually bought it back when it came out in Japan in 2005 as my first DS game. This experience has been totally vuja de (i.e. the feeling that none of this has happened before, even if it has). For some reason, I could not remember anything concrete about this one except for the fact that the Dudbear quest store was a font of repetitive boredom -- not even how far I got before selling it back. So I've avoided doing too many of those, and the game is still tedious. I think I'm past the point I reached previously, but I can't be sure because even the bosses are making me draw a blank.
    My wife donated to my birthday get-a-Vita fund, so now I have a completely new avenue for building up my backlog.

Sadly, the game store I visited was sold out of SaGa Scarlet Grace, so I picked up another item on my to-play list, Yuusha Shisu (HERO MUST DIE). Hopefully I'll figure out what I'm doing before the hero's time is up. Currently halfway through the first day.
  • Mike MoehnkeMike Moehnke Code: Kirin Administrators
    Oh yeah, I'm actually playing Neutopia. It does indeed wear its influence (some game Shigeru Miyamoto worked on that stars a green elf wandering around getting pieces of a Triforce) on its sleeve, but it's not a complete copy. The sheer number of NPCs residing within caves and the underground is impressive for something from 1989, and the translation is intelligible. It's also much more linear, requiring that ... Dezala (can't remember his name right now) get them in a pretty rigid order.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.
    edited January 2018
    7thCircle wrote: »
    I spent a while at my brother's today to play Nine Parchments couch co-op. For a friendly-fire spellcasting game with goofy controls that caused us to blast each other regularly, I think we both enjoyed it. We stopped because he wanted to watch the bowl game... which leads to the game's one quirk: you can't resume progress after stopping. We'd have to restart at the beginning of the game, retaining our character levels and gear. We knew this going in. As my brother refuses to replay content, that means we're done with Nine Parchments unless the upcoming fix (which sounds less like a "fix" and more like the idiot devs genuinely didn't think players would want to exit and resume an 8-ish hour long game) retroactively lets you continue an exited campaign. Oh well. We made it maybe 2/3 of the way through.

Yeah 7th, those are the exact same problems my friends and I had. Really sucks the steam out of what could otherwise be a well liked couch co-op game where there isn't much competition these days. The only way we were able to enjoy it was using the Switch's sleep function which helped give us a full playthrough and another 3/4ths of one. It completely boggles my mind what the devs were thinking with this utterly stupid decision as well as locking nearly every character behind a complete campaign run.
  • LassicLassic Member Full Members
    edited January 2018
    Well the last few weeks it was M&M 7 all day every day. Now that is done I needed to play something completely different. After watching Projared Top 10 Games of 2017 I decided to try my hand at my first visual novel: Doki Doki Literature Club!

I've been playing it for the last few hours and I was having a good time until something "happened" and now I'm unsure if I want to continue further.
    Spoiler:
    First the game decided to drive a stake through my heart and then things just got weird after trying to reload my last save. It feels like the beginning of a vey deep rabbit hole!
  • redwing42redwing42 Just Monika Full Members
    edited January 2018
    Doki Doki Literature club goes places. That
    Spoiler:
    Sayuri bit
    almost broke me too. It certainly isn't for everyone, but I did enjoy the overall experience, even if there were sections of the game which were decidedly not "fun".
  • LassicLassic Member Full Members
    After a good night sleep I decided to continue and finished the game. Thinking about the intention of the author I'm glad I played it and would recommend it to other people even if the Sayori part still stings.
    edited February 2018
    So I ended up resuming the playthrough I started last year of Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade.

Originally I gave up because of 2017's amazing line up of games, but also because it took too long to get the characters I was interested in using and I just remembered the game being kind of boring. I've played 4 stages up to Chapter 9 now, and the its still a very uninspiring title. The story is very stale, comparable to what I remember Shadow Dragon being, while the gameplay is just plain below modern Fire Emblem fare. There are stages where theres just too many treasure chests with stuff that the newer games give to you in other ways, making you feel like you're wasting turns just getting a Thief into position and then another 4-8 actually gathering all the chests up with them. Maps also suffer from being pretty bland, where there's only a couple of sections that enemies will actually fight you and the rest of it is just "beware of possible reinforcements that may never show up" or fodder to waste time traveling over. My level ups in this game are also absolutely abysmal, I don't think I've played a FE yet where getting 3 points a level is something to celebrate, but the sheer number of 1 and 2 point level ups I've seen sucks a lot of the joy out of building characters up. However while the game isn't very good in any area in particular, I'm primarily playing it because I need something thats less involved and more simplistic right now. Its been non stop amazing game after amazing game since last year, and this is a good spot to take a breather while mentally recharging for something more exploration heavy like a Horizon or an intensive story telling journey like Mask of Truth that are on my list of games to get around to. Feels kinda funny playing a RPG that I actually expect to end up dropping somewhere along the line, but we'll see how it goes I suppose.
  • DoctorLeechesDoctorLeeches Atlanta, GeorgiaFull Members
    Suikoden II, don’t know why, just had a hankering...
    "Formally Rockko, long story..."
    Secret of Mana (Vita). I actually played this on the original cartridge for a bit last summer, so my memory's still fresh from that. On this play-thru, I'm trying to make my way into the Witch's Forest so I can hit the plot flag that will let me ignore the Witch's Forest for a while and head through Gaia's Navel instead. Unfortunately, those little razzafrackin' rodents with the mad archery skillz are just as annoying as they ever were, so I'm looking forward to some therapeutic mushroom- and bug-thrashing first to build up levels and cash.
    Got a few things going, since work has made it impossible for me to play FFXIV when anyone is actually around again....

Divinity: Original Sin II - Took me longer than I thought to get back to this after my first playthrough, though the most egregious bugs are gone now at least. Having a blast playing as Lohse with the companions I didn't take last time (Red Prince, Ifan, Fane... who i did take last time buuut I accidentally murdered Sebille early on and decided not to reload.) Also using the 'less bloated numbers' mod and man is it a huge improvement not having to regear my entire party every level just to keep up.

Dragonball FighterZ - Help i am bad at fighting games.

Monster Hunter World - Got this today, seems real neat so far even if I usually bounce of MH games and pretty much only bought it because it has a cool character creator. Spent some time meticulously recreating Josette from Trails in the Sky for some reason. Also it looks nothing like her because the only thing I am worse at then fighting games is character creators.

Also bought the PC version of Cold Steel II, so I'll get round to playing that at some point too.
    Huh. Yeah, this new Secret of Mana is pretty similar to the original, but what changes have been made are mostly for the worse. Why do enemies have to sit there for so long after taking a hit, not reacting to any additional attacks, before they finally move again? That's really aggravating. Also, whoever thought it was a good idea to slightly incline the viewing angle so that enemies can be completely hidden by a wall can be summarily fired for a total failure of good judgment.
    Oh yeah, and it crashed once. The Vita version is more stable than PS4 from what I understand, but considering I've only put a few hours into it and can likely expect more crashes in future, while I remember absolutely none on the original cartridge... that's a problem.

Perhaps that means I should go back to Lufia: The Legend Returns, but those randomly generated dungeons just get so boring to slog through, and there are several more to get through before the damn thing is done.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.
    Somehow I forgot to mention before that I'm also playing... Dynasty Warriors 9. It's... not great, but sort of growing on me anyway. I hate it when that happens.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    I'm running WA5 off my comp (do own a copy but my BW compatible PS3 is on the fritz in regards to the A/V connectors, can't find my PS2, and having saves states is nice encase I need to close down).

I'm up to the part of Twelbit.
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    JuMeSyn wrote: »
    The Vita version is more stable than PS4 from what I understand, but considering I've only put a few hours into it and can likely expect more crashes in future, while I remember absolutely none on the original cartridge... that's a problem.

Only had one crash on PS4 so far

Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • Alex FullerAlex Fuller Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    In case you though Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet would be a step up for the series, it is not. My primary positive comment from my review notes so far "It is at least playable", also the localisation does appear to have been proof-read this time, and there was a G Gundam reference.

Aside from that though it's got much of the same issues as, primarily that there is no attempt to make this fictional MMO that everyone in-game thinks it great actually interesting in any way. From what I can tell Gun Gale Online doesn't actually have a plot, and the first four dungeons in the game have been:
    - Nondescript facility with robots
    - Nondescript facility with different number of robots
    - Nondescript facility with more robots
    - Nondescript facility with additional robots
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited February 2018
    Huh. Yeah, this new Secret of Mana is pretty similar to the original, but what changes have been made are mostly for the worse. Why do enemies have to sit there for so long after taking a hit, not reacting to any additional attacks, before they finally move again? That's really aggravating. Also, whoever thought it was a good idea to slightly incline the viewing angle so that enemies can be completely hidden by a wall can be summarily fired for a total failure of good judgment.
    Oh yeah, and it crashed once. The Vita version is more stable than PS4 from what I understand, but considering I've only put a few hours into it and can likely expect more crashes in future, while I remember absolutely none on the original cartridge... that's a problem.
    Sadly the wait between hits was a problem that existed in the original version, from what I remember. The inclined angle is really annoying, I do agree, have had a few moments where I couldnt' see an enemy that suddenly attacked. But overall the game is a very faithful remaster...for better and worse, since all the flaws of the original are showing up again. Crashes, most I get are during my grind sprees for weapon levels, no other time do they show up. Luckily autosave has prevented any real frustration on that part.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    It's actually a shorter list to go through what WAS changed for the new Secret of Mana instead of what wasn't, and I'll probably be doing that soon. I'm up to five total crashes now. The automatic saving does help, and at least it restarts much faster than the last game which had that problem (darn Dex, that thing crashed all the time). I can't say it does wonders for my mood to be immersed in the action and then get a crash though.
    There seems to be no real rule governing the crashes. Some people get off lightly, some don't. While I've certainly played much, much more technically lacking games, this is a definite negative point for me.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited February 2018
    It's actually a shorter list to go through what WAS changed for the new Secret of Mana instead of what wasn't, and I'll probably be doing that soon. I'm up to five total crashes now. The automatic saving does help, and at least it restarts much faster than the last game which had that problem (darn Dex, that thing crashed all the time). I can't say it does wonders for my mood to be immersed in the action and then get a crash though.
    There seems to be no real rule governing the crashes. Some people get off lightly, some don't. While I've certainly played much, much more technically lacking games, this is a definite negative point for me.
    Luckily they announced they have a patch on the way for early March that should fix most of the bugs, hopefully. A shame we'll both probably be done with the game by that point.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • Joshua CarpenterJoshua Carpenter RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Started playing Moss last night on PSVR and I have a feeling I'm going to be a bit insufferable about that game. I've been hyped for this game since I played the demo (several times) and it is so nice to be excited for a game and have it live up to the expectations you have for it.

As far as gameplay goes, its a puzzle focused action-adventure game. Reminds me most of Ico, only instead of a long escort mission, the player (called the reader as you are reading the tale but also interacting with it) can reach down into the world and help Quill out. It's a surprisingly great use of VR; lots of the puzzles and hidden items will involve moving your head around the environment to see around corners and look for items/new routes.

Quill, the little starring mouse, is the cutest character ever. She communicates with you via pantomiming and my heart melts every time she gives me a thumbs up when I figure out a puzzle. Right before I went to bed with one puzzle, she made a bunch of noise to get my attention and then she pointed toward one of the enemies, pointed toward a switch, and then made this "pachooooo" sound telling me to take control of the enemy and shoot the switch. There is a ton of characterization even though there isn't voice acting (well there is a narrator, but the characters don't talk).

WOW! I'm blown away so far. Super happy that I have the PSVR to experience that amazing world and if the rest of the game plays out like this, it will be at the top of the GOY for me.
  • LordGolbezLordGolbez Member Full Members
    edited February 2018
    To be fair, although the original Secret of Mana on cart didn't have crashes, it had bugs that could get you stuck. Particularly when you used the whip, characters could get stuck. Since you couldn't leave your teammates behind in the original, this often meant either having to call Flammie or reset the game (essentially equivalent to a crash but worse because of lack of auto-save). Now, I haven't played the remake or seen the crashes so I don't know how bad a problem it is, but I do know I ran into that the kind of issues I'm describing several times when I played the original SNES cart. It seems that the remake at least fixes this because what I saw streaming looked like you could leave your teammates behind and they'll be dragged along or whatever.

Also, Secret of Mana has a sort of Semi-ATB system. You're supposed to wait until the counter reaches 100% between attacks. However, I remember in the original that I could attack again without waiting and do fractional damage. This was useful when my attack came close to but did not fully kill an enemy. So I think this enforced waiting period to attack an enemy again is, if not completely new, worse in the remake than the original.
    The Tea and Biscuits Brigade offers you tea and biscuits.
    You can still do fractional damage, but it's not always obvious because of the higher evasion rate. Quick attacks are at least good for getting enemies to back off, though.
    I don't remember having to call Flammie, but I do remember needing to painstakingly guide everyone along in the original version. Here at least they don't have to be on the same screen all the time in case of, I don't know, being put to sleep or ballooned or confused or stuck in a corner. That's nice at least.
    Small tweaks are the most that's been done though. I seem to recall a few scenes having a couple of extra lines now, but voice acting seems completely unnecessary when the fifth person in a row says nothing but 'Where's the spy?" Ah well, closing in on the conclusion now, and I'm somehow refraining from the urge to power everyone up with all eight weapons and max out every spell level. I hadn't remembered how (relatively) brief the game is from the SNES.
  • LordGolbezLordGolbez Member Full Members
    Well grinding of the type you're avoiding helped to pad the length of the original a lot. It sounds like it's less necessary (not that maxing every weapon was ever necessary) so that basically shortens the game if you don't even have to level up your magic or weapons much.
    The Tea and Biscuits Brigade offers you tea and biscuits.
    Yeah, I'm definitely finding that the money yield in particular was increased. I did a little extra fighting for spell leveling, but nothing major, and I haven't had a problem affording new gear. Gold Isle did take everything I had on me, but it was enough.
    Now here's a difference in the Mana Fortress itself. Instead of really big floors, they're broken up into multiple smaller rooms. Maybe that was to give more auto-saving moments so that progress isn't lost. I can appreciate that I guess, but breaking up the action with more little loading screens and tiny areas just doesn't feel as impressive.