The RPGamer Forums will be closing on May 2, 2021.

What are you playing today?

Comments

• King Jowy XXIIKing Jowy XXII Regnus Obscura Full Members
    edited January 2006
    Anyway, getting back on track:

Ys VI: Ark of the Napishtim - my level-grinding in DQVIII has come to a head, and I need a break. I have a feeling that I will be cutting throguh this game in short order now, so I best be in the proper mindset (ie NOT obsessing over exp hoarding) before proceeding.
  • XeroZoharXeroZohar Member Full Members
    edited January 2006
    Got burnt out on FF, played Banjo. Burnt out on Banjo, now playing Shenmue. School starts soon tomorrow, and thinking about playing Sonic 2, at least until X collection comes out on Tuesday.

Man I'm indecisive.
  • SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited January 2006
    Path of Radiance. I shouldn't be playing games at all though.
    Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
  • RIPtoadRIPtoad Member Full Members
    edited January 2006
    More AtL: Twilight of the Spirits. I just got past Kharg's birthright revelation and nasty growth removal, and I am liking both sides of the story, with a slight leaning towards the human path. Paulette and Maru kick ass over Delma and Volk, physically and character-wise. Paulette's probably my best all-around fighter. And I was pleased to get my abandoned Dilzweldian--I love the scientist/commando ensemble! For the Deimos, Bebedora is quite a fun and powerful character, as well.

Darc is a better character design than Kharg, but so far I have more sympathy with Kharg's quest. I'd probably like the Deimos better if they didn't have tails growing out of their shoulders. What is up with that?
  • Vampire Hunter VVampire Hunter V Member Full Members
    edited January 2006
    Just bought DQ8 for 35$ at Target. Seemed like a good deal plus all the good reviews on it made me get it. But I'm still gonna hold off until I get through Nocturne, I'm where you fight the 3 sisters.

Bought Code Veronica for cheap, got near the end but the game decided to freeze on me. Darn Gamestop and their used games!

• edited January 2006
    dragon quest 8..prolly gonna play nuttin else till i finish it cuz its like great
    edited January 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Vampire Hunter V @ Jan. 09 2006,13:00)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"Just bought DQ8 for 35$ at Target. ?Seemed like a good deal plus all the good reviews on it made me get it. ?But I'm still gonna hold off until I get through Nocturne, I'm where you fight the 3 sisters.

Bought Code Veronica for cheap, got near the end but the game decided to freeze on me. ?Darn Gamestop and their used games![/QUOTE]
    $35? Bugger! I should have held off just a little bit longer... But even at $50, DQVIII gives you your money's worth. It's an awful lot of game. And not half bad, at that.

I never could get into Code Veronica--the controls for that game just sucked too much for me to deal with. It's hard to tell who the zombies are, with your own character lurching about like she does...

Though maybe I should have held onto it and tried again later. For the money EB gave me, it would have made more sense to keep it and use it as a coaster. First and last time I ever sell back my games. It's quite a racket they got going for themselves there.
    edited January 2006
    Yeah I agree with the controls on Code Veronica. For me, it's tough to play the older RE's after playing through RE4. I decided to get it because I used to have it for the Dreamcast, but never beat it.

And yeah both EB and gamestop give you "pennies" for games. It's best to sell through eBay, or through friends.

As for DQ8, I'm starting to hear estimates nearing the 100 hour range, which makes it definitely worth it.
  • Slayer of GodSlayer of God Member Full Members
    edited January 2006
    Smackdown vs. Raw 2006. Good game for when you want to beat the crap out of someone and not get in trouble for it.
    Within the spreading darkness, I pledged a vow to the revolution.
  • DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited January 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(RIPtoad @ Jan. 09 2006,23:52)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Vampire Hunter V @ Jan. 09 2006,13:00)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"Just bought DQ8 for 35$ at Target. Seemed like a good deal plus all the good reviews on it made me get it. But I'm still gonna hold off until I get through Nocturne, I'm where you fight the 3 sisters.

Bought Code Veronica for cheap, got near the end but the game decided to freeze on me. Darn Gamestop and their used games![/QUOTE]
    $35? Bugger! I should have held off just a little bit longer... But even at $50, DQVIII gives you your money's worth. It's an awful lot of game. And not half bad, at that.

I never could get into Code Veronica--the controls for that game just sucked too much for me to deal with. It's hard to tell who the zombies are, with your own character lurching about like she does...

Though maybe I should have held onto it and tried again later. For the money EB gave me, it would have made more sense to keep it and use it as a coaster. First and last time I ever sell back my games. It's quite a racket they got going for themselves there.[/QUOTE]
    I've always used the "Walk into public area, hold up game, say the first person to name a fair price gets it" method, when I've sold games at all. Sure, it's lazy, but I usually can pull a 20-30 out of it.

Vampire:

All depends how you play it. The game verily encourages you to spend time and explore and kill and talk to folks and if you do that, your game time will be near or over a hundred hours.

I think someone who ignored the spirit of the game and just played through it straight out could beat it in 50.

Me:

I've been guiding the Indian Empire to conquer all of ye heathens. There shalt not be a corner of the world that is not overrun by our industrous laborers. Maurders, beasts, warlords, all shall fall before the inevitable Indian knights!

Dracos
    Civilization 4.
    edited January 2006
    Still on Arc the Lad:TOS. I finally decided, as I'm not likely to be replaying this game anytime soon, that I should try to grind it out in those battle arenas and unlock the hidden characters. Got my first one (Darc's) last night after two hours--though I came very close to losing it in the very last round, which would have pissed me off to no end. I haven't had a chance to see if it was worth the trouble yet. I'll be going after Kharg's whenever they put me back on his side of the story.

That I'm not planning a replay at this point shouldn't be construed as me not having fun--I'm still digging the story and the way it's playing out, though I can see where Kharg and Darc's obstinate views could easily turn one off, as they seem to react poorly to the events occurring around them. Regardless, blockheads though they may be, I'm still interested in seeing where this is going to end up.
  • SorenLovesIkeSorenLovesIke Member Full Members
    edited January 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"That I'm not planning a replay at this point shouldn't be construed as me not having fun[/QUOTE]

It takes me three years to get around to replaying games--and most of the ones I DO replay are the most fun. Whenever I finish a game, I stick it on the bottom of a stack and wait for it to pop up again.

When I was 12, I used to replay games all the time. All I had was Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy IV and Chrono Trigger. I kept playing those over and over again in a steady cycle.
  • edited January 2006
    I'm currently playing Front Mission 3 for the first time, playing it because I loooved Final Fantasy Tactics so much and was looking for another Tactical RPG with good reviews. While the characters are kind of static, the story isn't that great and the network thing annoys me (its too slow... yeah, just like "real" internet) the battle system makes up for it. I'll probably finish it... I don't want to have another game which I started but never finished...
    edited January 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(SorenLovesIke @ Jan. 11 2006,18:18)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"It takes me three years to get around to replaying games--and most of the ones I DO replay are the most fun. Whenever I finish a game, I stick it on the bottom of a stack and wait for it to pop up again.

When I was 12, I used to replay games all the time. All I had was Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy IV and Chrono Trigger. I kept playing those over and over again in a steady cycle.[/QUOTE]
    I'll play FFX every few months (for some reason, that game cheers me up when I'm feeling blue), but beyond that, it can be a year or so before I'll pick up a game again after finishing it the first time.

Or the first two or three times, in the case of the first two Ratchet and Clank games. (I don't count continuing from the end a replay if there isn't a break in between.) smile1.png

RE: Yazuka--I played the demo of Front Mission 3, but the whole thing seemed way too glacially paced to hook me in. The battles, at least in the demo, really played out too slowly, for my tastes. Doesn't sound like there's much in the rest of the game supporting it, either, from your description.
    edited January 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Yazuka @ Jan. 11 2006,15:42)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"I'm currently playing Front Mission 3 for the first time, playing it because I loooved Final Fantasy Tactics so much and was looking for another Tactical RPG with good reviews. While the characters are kind of static, the story isn't that great and the network thing annoys me (its too slow... yeah, just like "real" internet) the battle system makes up for it. I'll probably finish it... I don't want to have another game which I started but never finished...[/QUOTE]
    Really? I thought Front Mission 3's story was ok, it had a lot of twists and turns. The setting of the story was somewhat believeable, and the fact that there was 2 different storylines that you could play through which made the game longer.

Yes the battle system and customization of wanzers was great. Overall a great game I can always pickup and play through if I'm bored.

I hope Front Mission 5 makes it to the states, FM4 was a bit of a let-down.

RIPToad- I think you meant that you played the Front Mission 4 demo for the PS2. I don't remember there being a PS1 Front Mission 3 demo, then again I could be wrong. FM4's battles were way too long sometimes, FM3's battles were about the same as FFTactics.

edited January 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Vampire Hunter V @ Jan. 11 2006,18:55)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"RIPToad- I think you meant that you played the Front Mission 4 demo for the PS2. ?I don't remember there being a PS1 Front Mission 3 demo, then again I could be wrong. ?FM4's battles were way too long sometimes, FM3's battles were about the same as FFTactics.[/QUOTE]
    Bloody sequels--too many numbers! You're absolutely right--I was thinking of 4. smile14.png
    edited January 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(RIPtoad @ Jan. 11 2006,16:09)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Vampire Hunter V @ Jan. 11 2006,18:55)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"RIPToad- I think you meant that you played the Front Mission 4 demo for the PS2. I don't remember there being a PS1 Front Mission 3 demo, then again I could be wrong. FM4's battles were way too long sometimes, FM3's battles were about the same as FFTactics.[/QUOTE]
    Bloody sequels--too many numbers! You're absolutely right--I was thinking of 4. smile14.png[/QUOTE]
    I highly recommend Front Mission 3 RIP! smile1.png
  • - Locke -- Locke - Member Full Members
    edited January 2006
    heck yeah, FM3 was like, one of the best games i've ever played. Hell, it's not as jaw-dropping as FFX, or have a complex storyline, like some games, but hey, it's good ol' plain tactical fun, and it should always deserve a playthrough.

OT:
    Still currently playing the Manger Mode in FIFA 06... damn, I'm addicted.
    And finishing up unfinished games which I haven't played in a very long time (i.e. Secret Of Evermore for the SNES and FFX-2).
  • DavisDavis 2 Human 2 Furious Full Members
    edited January 2006
    I can't stop playing Mario Kart online. I'm even stopping myself from drinking (as much as I usually do) because we all know drinking and driving are not good bedfellows.

Five tons of Flax,
    Davis
    edited January 2006
    Going slow with Path of Radiance, don't quite enjoy it as much as I did playing Rekka no Ken or Sacred Stones.
  • SorenLovesIkeSorenLovesIke Member Full Members
    edited January 2006
    AaaHHHhhhh?! You don't like Path of Radiance? I love that game with fierce intensity. It's one of those rare games that WON'T take me 3 years to get back to. For some reason, I could play Fire Emblems all day long--and I don't even like tactical RPGs that much.

The Nippon Ichi games are all a little corny to me.

I'm still playing Legend of Heroes: Tear of Vermillion. Am I the only one who's played that? I'm also working on Call of Duty 2, which is a strange genre for me.
  • BeaudoinBeaudoin New Member Full Members
    edited January 2006
    Due to laziness in which I didn't want to switch games out of the PS2, I ended up trying out Megaman X Collections. ?The awful sound looping on several of the MMX1 tracks makes me want to cry. ?It sounded like someone simply hit replay on their MP3 player. ?Other than that, I haven't tried the rest of the games.

• XeroZoharXeroZohar Member Full Members
    edited January 2006
    I could just be dreaming, but I remember those tracks looping in such a manner (after maybe 5-10 minutes) on the SNES... If it's sooner, then, yeah, that's a flub.
  • edited January 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Solon @ Jan. 11 2006,18:48)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"Going slow with Path of Radiance, don't quite enjoy it as much as I did playing Rekka no Ken or Sacred Stones.[/QUOTE]
    It's taking me forever to get through it as well. I think I really enjoy the portability factor so much more. It's tough to play PoR while sitting on the crapper, but the RK and SS were great for that. smile18.png

Oh and to answer the question, I'm playing FFIV Advance today. Nice and portable. smile3.png

• Your Inner ChildYour Inner Child Member Full Members
    edited January 2006
    I'm STILL playing Phantom Brave. I LOVELOVELOVE the game, and it was the perfect thing to move onto after I beat Disgaea, but at the same time I'd really like to just finish it. I have so many games ahead of me, along with the fact that I really want to play the Suikoden series in order. I own 1-3, but that was back when I would play one game for awhile, stop, play another game, stop, so on so forth. I could just never finish a game in my younger years... short attention span I guess. Butttt, seeing that I keep seeing so many people say just how amazing Suikoden II is (and because Suikoden is one of my favorite games) I want to go back and play through it all after I finish a few other games. (Yet again, curse me for only being able to play one game at a time!)

Oh, and I've been thinking about playing through Golden Sun on the GBA all the way through since I never got too far in it... would anyone say it's worth a full play through?
  • PoliverPoliver New Member Full Members
    edited January 2006
    Megaman 2 smile1.png for NES and Alundra for PSOne
  • DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited January 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(RIPtoad @ Jan. 11 2006,16:09)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Vampire Hunter V @ Jan. 11 2006,18:55)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"RIPToad- I think you meant that you played the Front Mission 4 demo for the PS2. I don't remember there being a PS1 Front Mission 3 demo, then again I could be wrong. FM4's battles were way too long sometimes, FM3's battles were about the same as FFTactics.[/QUOTE]
    Bloody sequels--too many numbers! You're absolutely right--I was thinking of 4. smile14.png[/QUOTE]
    Yeah, checking out FM3 isn't a bad idea. It was kind of neat in the way that FM4 totally failed at.

Re gaming

Last I checked here, I said I was running the indian empire I believe.

I'm still doing so. In fact, I've not shut down that game.

Epic Civ 4 takes...forever.

Dracos
    "Here's that guy you've beaten 4 times before for a final boss!"

edited January 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Your Inner Child @ Jan. 12 2006,20:42)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"Oh, and I've been thinking about playing through Golden Sun on the GBA all the way through since I never got too far in it... would anyone say it's worth a full play through?[/QUOTE]
    A lot of people wouldn't, but I would. I played through both, and thoroughly enjoyed them. Interesting puzzles, flashy combat, nice graphics, nice music from Sakuraba etc. Well worth it. The only thing that's lacking a bit is the plot.

I'll tell you this right now though, if you're gonna play the first, make sure you play the second one too. It's a lot better.

• Your Inner ChildYour Inner Child Member Full Members
    edited January 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Solon @ Jan. 12 2006,17:17)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Your Inner Child @ Jan. 12 2006,20:42)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"Oh, and I've been thinking about playing through Golden Sun on the GBA all the way through since I never got too far in it... would anyone say it's worth a full play through?[/QUOTE]
    A lot of people wouldn't, but I would. I played through both, and thoroughly enjoyed them. Interesting puzzles, flashy combat, nice graphics, nice music from Sakuraba etc. Well worth it. The only thing that's lacking a bit is the plot.

I'll tell you this right now though, if you're gonna play the first, make sure you play the second one too. It's a lot better.[/QUOTE]
    Alrighty, I'll keep that in mind. Thanks! ^_^
  • AnimeGamer183AnimeGamer183 Member Full Members
    edited January 2006
    Well, I have finally began to finish DQVIII, so thats what I am currently playing.