The RPGamer Forums will be closing on May 2, 2021.

What are you playing today?

Comments

• SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited February 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(knightofhyrule @ Feb. 01 2006,08:32)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"I read up on item creation a bit today. Customizing weapons is way too complicated, and the game doesn't do much to help you understand.[/QUOTE]
    It really isn't. Besides, you don't have to create that much anyway. A bunch of Atlas Rings and not much else. The best stuff you get in the Cave of Trials anyway.

I loved experimenting with the system on both SO2 & 3, which is probably why all my characters are at lvl 255.
    Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
  • knightofhyruleknightofhyrule Member Full Members
    edited February 2006
    I can't really think of any reasons I should even like the game. Nostalgia, I guess. It just hit me I was in sixth grade when I got the game.

How time flies...
  • SupraDarkySupraDarky Member Full Members
    edited February 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(SorenLovesIke @ Feb. 01 2006,03:14)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"Getting near the end in Kingdom of Paradise.[/QUOTE]

Wow, I've got to commend you on that. I couldn't get past the first few hours of that game. I hated the controls, and everything seem so... generic.[/QUOTE]
    Yeah, you're right actually. But an RPG really has to be bad for me to stop playing it. ;D The controls aren't bad though, I don't see any problem with it.
  • SorenLovesIkeSorenLovesIke Member Full Members
    edited February 2006
    I'm still playing Suikoden Tactics... and let me tell you, my impression of the game gets worse and worse every time I play it. (And I can only choke down about an hour at a time). It feels like a Fire Emblem gone horribly wrong.

I mean... first of all, whoever decided to give Kyril that voice needs to be SHOT. I thought his voice would change once he grew up a little bit, but he still sounds prepubescent, despite his adult appearance. Sometimes he sounds twelve, and sometimes he sounds like a woman trying to sound like a man. Either way, it creeps me out. I've taken to muting the tv every time the voice actors demonstrate their "talents."

Not to mention, the main song that plays ALL THE TIME sounds like the #1 dentist office song of all time: Love Will Leave you Back. The gameplay is fine, but it's nothing stellar. And the story? Just awful.

Suikoden IV and Suikoden Tactics shouldn't even be allowed to carry the "Suikoden" name. What the hell happened to that series?!?!?!
  • RIPtoadRIPtoad Member Full Members
    edited February 2006
    I'm still working through Shadow Hearts. They teased me--malice is back. Ah, well. They forced me to fight a mask, and I've learned subsequently that it's probably not the right one, and I can't get the so-called "good" ending now. However, I have also heard that SH: Covenant starts as if the "good" ending from the previous game didn't exist, anyway. Which only causes me to hate the wafflers who make multiple endings to their stories rather than actually committing to a final resolution even more.

That being said, I suppose it doesn't matter now, because I just ordered SH: Covenant, and so the crappy ending that I am working up to will segue smoothly into the sequel. Assuming my understanding of the situation is correct.

I am enjoying the game now, though I still curse regularly at missed judgment ring attempts. My "perfect" percentage is pathetically low. And shopping has caused me to reload more frequently than I might have liked.

I really wish I could switch out characters between battles. I'm now in England coming from my first visit to the Orphanage, and my vampire and my magician are relegated to hanging around the hotel hallway. They also have equipment that I wouldn't mind using elsewhere, but it's not available for as long as they stay out of reach. Not a gameplay decision I greatly applaud.
  • DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited February 2006
    SH:C is a better game all around... but it retcons SH heavily. It is though much easier to maintain a high perfect percentage (my last run was at 80ish percent, which was a good 30-40 percent above what I finished SH with as I recall). SH was a very raw product from a game design perspective and an equally raw product from a simple production quality perspective. Not to say there weren't ideas there and it wasn't worth a run through, it's just a very second/third tier type game.

anyhow, high malice is good where you are and you're not actually banned from doing it. There's a faq out there that details 'hey, I screwed up and killed a mask out of order, how do I fix it?'.

I'd tell you the pattern, but it's been long enough that I don't remember.

Dracos
    edited February 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"SH:C is a better game all around... but it retcons SH heavily. It is though much easier to maintain a high perfect percentage (my last run was at 80ish percent, which was a good 30-40 percent above what I finished SH with as I recall).[/QUOTE]

smile8.png Huh? Really? It was the other way around for me. I had about a 60% perfect in the original Shadow Hearts, which was reduced to about a 30% in SH:C. It was harder (for me) because the target areas were smaller, and well... there could be about 5 target areas on a single ring.

Anyway... maybe I just stink.
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited February 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(SorenLovesIke @ Feb. 01 2006,17:50)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"I'm still playing Suikoden Tactics... and let me tell you, my impression of the game gets worse and worse every time I play it. (And I can only choke down about an hour at a time). It feels like a Fire Emblem gone horribly wrong.

I mean... first of all, whoever decided to give Kyril that voice needs to be SHOT. I thought his voice would change once he grew up a little bit, but he still sounds prepubescent, despite his adult appearance. Sometimes he sounds twelve, and sometimes he sounds like a woman trying to sound like a man. Either way, it creeps me out. I've taken to muting the tv every time the voice actors demonstrate their "talents."

Not to mention, the main song that plays ALL THE TIME sounds like the #1 dentist office song of all time: Love Will Leave you Back. The gameplay is fine, but it's nothing stellar. And the story? Just awful.

Suikoden IV and Suikoden Tactics shouldn't even be allowed to carry the "Suikoden" name. What the hell happened to that series?!?!?![/QUOTE]
    Reminds me of Evergrace. If there was ever a game that required you to mute the television, that was it. Star Ocean: The Second Story and Star Ocean: Till The End of Time weren't exactly great voicewise either. I know we're not going to have the Japanese track in a lot of cases, but I'd rather have no voices than those voices.

At least I have my spiffy brand new 60 gig iPod to help me survive.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
    edited February 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(SorenLovesIke @ Feb. 01 2006,22:20)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"SH:C is a better game all around... but it retcons SH heavily. It is though much easier to maintain a high perfect percentage (my last run was at 80ish percent, which was a good 30-40 percent above what I finished SH with as I recall).[/QUOTE]

smile8.png Huh? Really? It was the other way around for me. I had about a 60% perfect in the original Shadow Hearts, which was reduced to about a 30% in SH:C. It was harder (for me) because the target areas were smaller, and well... there could be about 5 target areas on a single ring.

Anyway... maybe I just stink.[/QUOTE]
    I got seventy five percent on the harder 5 hit rings the first time through... that said, if you're moving up to technical and giving yourself a full five hit set, you're asking for it. I had coral pendants generally equipped with everyone as much as possible, which helped me, stay high, but the five hit things sort of give the other balance of making it much easier to do tons of damage. You trade off the difficulty of the ring with the ability to oneshot almost every normal enemy. Less difficulty, slightly longer fights as things take two or three rounds instead of a single one.

That said, I do think by end game, they get really tiny on five hit technical.

Dracos
    edited February 2006
    Ha, dug up the old Star Ocean 2 help thread I made way back when. If you go through and read my posts, you can follow my descent from optimism to frustration and despair, and eventual submission. Fun stuff.

Anyway, I just hit the second disc and I'm doing pretty well for myself so far. Still, my prediction is that I'll give up again somewhere between the field of power and the field of love. That's about the point I'll give up on anyone's skills every working for anything and go play FFX again.
  • RIPtoadRIPtoad Member Full Members
    edited February 2006
    More Shadow Hearts. I got the Oath Grail, and I've gone on to defeat the four masks. Much easier when they can't screw with your judgment ring or kill characters in a single attack! (Though defeating Gold mask before getting the Grail, even after he gave me a tiny ring, wasn't too difficult, double-speed from Sword mask was insurmountable.)

I'm just sorry I didn't beat them when I was supposed to. I hate sad endings.
    edited February 2006
    Heh, knight, I've never seen anyone having so much trouble with SO2. I had forgotten about that old thread too. ^^

Haven't really played any SP games since I finished WA4.
    edited February 2006
    You know...I'm actually doing pretty well this time. I've cleared the Field of Power and Claudes power is...well, he's hitting between 4000-8000, depending on the enemy's defense. I just might finish it this time.
    edited February 2006
    It finally happened. I just finished Star Ocean 2.
  • VigivalgusVigivalgus Member Full Members
    edited February 2006
    Baten Kaitos. I'm pleasantly surprised by it, but the voice acting makes my ears bleed.

I must say, the little girl was unusually happy when I gave her the Essense of Dead Bluebird.
    edited February 2006
    Civ 4.

Always Civ 4.

Damn 50 hour rounds.

Dracos
  • King Jowy XXIIKing Jowy XXII Regnus Obscura Full Members
    edited February 2006
    Baten Kaitos, oddly enough.
  • SupraDarkySupraDarky Member Full Members
    edited February 2006
    I've been playing a lot of Animal Crossing DS. This game is evil.
    edited February 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"Baten Kaitos. I'm pleasantly surprised by it, but the voice acting makes my ears bleed.[/QUOTE]

For the sake of your sanity, turn them off! I've played it twice, and I couldn't tolerate the voices either time.

...Even so, they're not as bad as the Suikoden Tactics voices. Kyril's voice is just so damn bad.
    edited February 2006
    Now that I've finally finished Star Ocean 2, I've decided to start knocking other games off the Grand List of Games I Never Finished. Next up: Paper Mario 2. Eventually I might even tackle Vagrant Story.
  • VigivalgusVigivalgus Member Full Members
    edited February 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Vigivalgus @ Feb. 06 2006,07:51)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"Baten Kaitos. I'm pleasantly surprised by it, but the voice acting makes my ears bleed.[/QUOTE]
    I need to take some of that comment back, I suppose. It was brought to my attention that the reason the characters sound like they're talking into a bucket (echoecho) is because the "player" is viewing the events from a "different world" (thanks, Firemyst). Not that they explain that, or anything. It does not excuse the horrible acting, either but it's something to consider. If it was intentional, it seriously detracts from the experience.
  • keele864keele864 Member Full Members
    edited February 2006
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"I must say, the little girl was unusually happy when I gave her the Essense of Dead Bluebird.
    [/QUOTE]

I remember that part. I thought it rather funny that the girl wanted a bluebird, and was perfectly happy to have a deceased one. I thought little NPC girls liked live animals?

I'm not currently playing anything, but when I go home for the weekend, I am definitely booting up Mega Man X Collection and Shadow of the Colossus. Shadow of the Colossus is incredible. It's a game I like to play in short doses, not because it's boring, but because I want to savor it.

• EliEli Member Full Members
    edited February 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(knightofhyrule @ Feb. 06 2006,19:07)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"Eventually I might even tackle Vagrant Story.[/QUOTE]
    Hee hee =P Well Vagrant Story isn't so bad once you get used to all of it's various erm...quirks... It's just that doing so takes an obscene amount of time (most RPGs have a learning curve of about an hour...Vagrant Story's is more like ten).

Personally (and I seem to be pretty much alone here) I never really found it to be a hard game, just an extremely complex one. Once I figured out how to play it properly, I rarely died (unfortunately 'figuring it out' involved restarting eight hours in =/). It's similar in that respect to Persona II: Eternal Punishment; both games have very little tolerance for ignorance on the part of the player. You have to know what you're doing or you'll die...frequently...

Anyway, that's wandering off-topic. Congratulations on beating Star Ocean II =)

Anyway, to make this a little more relevant to the thread topic, I just started playing Tales of the Abyss. Seems really good so far actually; I'm liking it much more than I did Tales of Legendia (which failed to really grab me within the first ten hours or so...figured I'd just wait for the English release to play the rest).
    edited February 2006
    I started Vagrant Story again today. I must've started this one five times...made it about 75% of the way through once. I'd given up all hope of ever finishing it, but after finally finishing Star Ocean 2, I have renewed hope.
    edited February 2006
    Why bother? I mean, if you've stopped five times, something's wrong. You're supposed to enjoy playing your games, you know. smile6.png I fail to see why you would ever stop if you did, and fives times at that..

OT: Path of Radiance, 2 chapters left or something, but got other stuff to do so it'll have to wait until tomorrow or something.
  • mt_megamt_mega New Member Full Members
    edited February 2006
    I'm currently playing Star Wars KOTOR II. Good stuff.
  • Slayer of GodSlayer of God Member Full Members
    edited February 2006
    Lots of EarthBound to pass the time until Grandia III comes out.
    Within the spreading darkness, I pledged a vow to the revolution.
    edited February 2006
    I got a mod to add stalin into Civ 4.

Then I realized I didn't really want to play stalin in Civ 4.

I wanted to play the Soviets in red alert.

A few hours later, I begin.

Dracos
  • DavisDavis 2 Human 2 Furious Full Members
    edited February 2006
    *sends Tanya to blow up Dracos's powerplants*

Five tons of Flax,
    Davis
    edited February 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Solon @ Feb. 08 2006,01:50)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"Why bother? I mean, if you've stopped five times, something's wrong. You're supposed to enjoy playing your games, you know. smile6.png I fail to see why you would ever stop if you did, and fives times at that..[/QUOTE]
    I do enjoy it. I love the game. Just never finish it, for some reason. There are a lot of games I have that fit that bill, actually.