If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Dumbledore is... gay?

ShponglefanShponglefan MemberFull Members
edited February 2009 in Entertainment
J.K. Rowling outs Dumbledore

<div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Responding to a question from a child about Dumbledore's love life, Rowling hesitated and then revealed, "I always saw Dumbledore as gay."</div>

This just seems so... random. ?Although, I suppose it's good PR as it's yet something else to keep Harry Potter in the news. ?I can only imagine what the HP protesters (i.e. those already attacking HP for "witchcraft" 'n stuff) will say about this. biggrin.gif

Comments

• FrozenbabylonFrozenbabylon POW! Full Members
    edited October 2007
    I literally had just read that. Wow.
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited October 2007
    Sponge - She probably doesn't care about those guys/gals, seeing as she's never sought to change their minds.

That being said, that's the most random thing I've ever heard in my life.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • bain_nickbain_nick Be Water my friend Full Members
    edited October 2007
    And yet, it makes sense.

Prepares himself for the mass of fanfics that will flood certain places on the net, and to avoid such areas.
    http://melodysheep.bandcamp.com/track/be-water-my-friend-bruce-lee (Youtube video been taken down soooo)
    Steam: bain_nick Add me, maybe we can play something together.
    League of Legends: NA Server: Bainick
    The problem with HM/RF games for me, is the opposite of my issues in real life.
  • kittenofthepackkittenofthepack It bes a cat hat! Full Members
    edited October 2007
    You know she's search for PR when she says Harry & Draco were giving each other some sweet, sweet loving in the broom closet. o.o!
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited October 2007
    Ummmm.... what?

Whatever, but how does this happen?
    "Back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's hilarious in modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of a FF7 remake."
  • ShponglefanShponglefan Member Full Members
    edited October 2007
    <div>
    (MasterChief @ Oct. 20 2007,14:50)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Sponge - She probably doesn't care about those guys/gals, seeing as she's never sought to change their minds.</div>
    Oh, I know she doesn't care. The books have been insanely successful even with a protesting minority. I just though it's hilarious to imagine what that camp will be saying now.
    edited October 2007
    <div>
    (Shponglefan @ Oct. 21 2007,21:03)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE"><div>
    (MasterChief @ Oct. 20 2007,14:50)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Sponge - She probably doesn't care about those guys/gals, seeing as she's never sought to change their minds.</div>
    Oh, I know she doesn't care. The books have been insanely successful even with a protesting minority. I just though it's hilarious to imagine what that camp will be saying now.</div>
    Understatement much? If anyone's proven that you don't have to pander to the religious right to be successful in the States (not to mention worldwide), it's JK Rowling. If only more people had the sack this creative British lady has.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2007
    It makes for interesting thinking, I never put much though into the sexual preference of any of the characters. There was never much emphasis on who's gay and who straight. Guess it gives the readers more food for thought.

And, lol JK must read or see some of the Harry Potter smut, her 'Oh the fan fiction' comment. Priceless. xD
    edited October 2007
    kitten - Gotta love that attitude. Though yeah, at some point that's all you can say about fan fiction.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ShevShev Member Full Members
    edited November 2007
    LoL...Its the fact that a little kid asked about the ol' man's love life that suprises me.
  • ACPACP A Crustacean in a Pot Full Members
    edited November 2007
    Does this mean that all the fans who wish that Dumbledore wasn't gay will flood the net with unslash fanfic? (I couldn't think of a better term than that smile.gif)
    When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.
    - Mark Twain
  • SorenSoren ..not a pony.. Full Members
    edited November 2007
    I just think the whole thing is amusing honestly. Half the people think its sort of cool that she included that, and the other half are saying that ...

ruinedforeverfinal.png

I just think its an interesting way to view him. Doesn't change how I saw the books.
    Driving FB bonkers for years. Paw's Wife.
  • ZelgodesZelgodes A Mastermind!? Full Members
    edited November 2007
    That just means you're not crazy. The only people who are going to care too much are religious nuts and crazy skinheads (I'm sure there's some medium here). It definitely helps the reader to understand his <span class="spoiler">willingness to study the dark arts with that evil guy.</span> Seems perfectly reasonable.
  • SorenSoren ..not a pony.. Full Members
    edited November 2007
    Well the religious ones are definantely going postal over this whole thing. It was a double whammy against the books to not only have them say something about witchcraft but homosexuality as well? Yea.
    Driving FB bonkers for years. Paw's Wife.
    edited November 2007
    Well, it's about time other industries in entertainment caught on to what the video game industry has known forever: Right-wing nutjobs beating their chests = free marketing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Zidane TribalZidane Tribal Banned Banned Users
    edited November 2007
    Y'know, when I fully read the first four Harry Potter I never picked up any gay vibes from Dumbledore. I just thought he was the friendly alternative to Snape and had more sympathy for Harry's plight. Rowling probably said that about him as backlash for those who leaked spoilers about her books over the Internet. I never did read the last three books to see how Dumbledore's character developed, though. bored.gif
    edited November 2007
    There was only one time, where I would have even considered Dumbledore. But it was only a couple second, passing thought. But now that she has said something, I could see where people would go "Oh!".

<span class="spoiler">In was towards the end of book seven. I forget who brings it up but I think Harry is looking though old letters Dumbledore sent to that Dark Wizard (can't recall the name. :S) over the summer. He was so amazed by him and one could say he was in awe over him. Sure it's not enough to go, "OMG he's gay!!!" But I could see where people would raise an eyebrow now.</span>

But in my honest opinion, I think she wanted a wee bit more time in the limelight. And what better way than to out an old, wizard. ;P

• tastyanimalcrackerstastyanimalcrackers New Member Full Members
    edited December 2008
    at first i was a little disappointed to hear that he was gay only because i had secretly hoped that he had something with McGonagall... BUT ANYWAY, after a while I got used to the idea and it really makes the books even more accessible, at least, that's how i feel.
  • SiliconNooBSiliconNooB Member Full Members
    edited December 2008
    I always saw Dumbledore as asexual, I don't even want to think about someone that old having intercourse whether it be gay or hetro.
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited December 2008
    Thread resurrection FTL.

Anyhow, the gay people (i.e., gay self-interested people) are saying that Lincoln (the US president) and Washington are gay along with other historical figures. This despite many of them having been married.

If you don't believe me, google it. If someone wrote it on the internet, it MUST be true!

• RenmazuoRenmazuo Member Full Members
    edited February 2009
    Just to play devils advocate here, Yggdra, you do realize that in any given time in history there have been many gay men married to women, and lesbians married to men. That's just how society has been set up. Just because you're married to someone doesn't instantly mean you're sexually attracted to them, marriages of convienance are completely typical.

Furthermore, we could also assume that if 1, or 2, or 4 percent of all people are gay, that 1 or 2 or 4 percent of all famous historical figures were also. Unless you prescribe to a phony belief that homosexuality is on the rise.
    edited February 2009
    And here I am shooting the zombie thread between the eyes. Boom, baby.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.